• Published 16th Jun 2015
  • 406 Views, 2 Comments

A New Evil - A-A-Ron



Twilight has been called to Canterlot to observe a dark magic that will throw Equestria out of balance. Something is attacking Crystal Empire from the Frozen North. And a certain pony seeks redemption in the Badlands.

  • ...
 2
 406

Chapter One

Apple Bloom

A new day had come, and the Apple family were wide awake early in the morning. Waking up in the morning was nothing new to the family. Farm work was a routine in their lives and required to get up in such hours. However, they were up early headed to Ponyville to hear Mayor Mare give an announcement. Apple Bloom knew the nature of Ponyville, and big announcements did not stay secret and she most likely already knew what Mayor Mare had to say because of her older sister, Applejack. Especially because it regarded Applejack’s very good friend, Twilight Sparkle.

Apple Bloom thought it out in her head what exactly was important enough to call the ponies of Ponyville together and be told all at once. It had to be something Applejack had mention during their dinner over the past few days. The only thing worth mentioning that came to her mind was that Twilight was invited to Canterlot by Princess Celestia once again. On normal circumstances, this is not worth celebrating for this was not Twilight’s first visit to Canterlot on royal business. In fact, Twilight was Celestia’s prized pupil. However, this was not a normal circumstance. This would be Twilight’s first trip to Canterlot as an alicorn and princess. Apple Bloom figured it was worth the celebration.

Ponies crowded the town square eager to hear what Mayor Mare had to say. The Apple family shuffled their way near the front of the stage which they found Mayor Mare wearing a grin on stage with Twilight by her side. Twilight was modest and gracious as usual, but a bit embarrassed about the newly found fame that became a perk alongside being a princess. She was not used to being called Princess Twilight Sparkle. She preferred just Twilight Sparkle.

Apple Bloom tried to be excited but her true feelings told her otherwise. She was happy for her sister’s friend to be a princess but such news did not intrigue her. She wouldn’t have even been there if it wasn’t for Applejack being as stubborn as she was. According to Applejack, it would be rude of Apple Bloom to skip out on an important occasion.

Mayor Mare began her speech, but Apple Bloom did not pay any attention to it. She just knew that words were said and at one point, Twilight began to speak. Instead of listening to the speech, Apple Bloom was daydreaming about the other members of the Cutie Mark Crusaders and other ways they could get their cutie marks. Apple Bloom was able to catch that the assembly was indeed to celebrate Twilight’s accomplishments and her recent invitation to Canterlot. After a few moments passed, the ponies in the crowd began to applaud Twilight, even her sister, who already knew that she was called by Celestia.

Applejack leaned close to her younger sister. “Do you know why we came here?” Apple Bloom realized that the speeches were over, and all the other ponies were making their way out of the square.

The young filly gave the question very little thought. “Cause it’s the right thing to do.”

“Skimming the surface,” she said with a smirk. “That not the only reason why we are here. Twi’s has given a lot since she’s been in Ponyville. Saved the town a couple times too. Like I said, Twi’s has given a lot to us, it’s about time we gave something back to her. But you are right, it is the right thing to do and we should always be there for friends.” Apple Bloom was haphazardly listening to her older sister. Applejack noticed this. “No matter how boring or pointless it may seem to be,” Applejack said accusingly.

Apple Bloom huffed in annoyance. “I know, I know. It just seems kind of repetitive. Don’t you think?”

The older mare looked into her sister eyes. The look in her indicated that she understood what exactly the young filly was feeling and those same feelings will pass with age. “You are still young. You’ll understand one day.”

Big Mac and Granny Smith trotted back to their home, Sweet Apple Acres. Applejack decided she would take her younger sister to Sugarcube Corner for breakfast. Applejack pace was brisk but Apple Bloom was able to keep up with her. Apple Bloom was distracted, deep in thought.

Applejack sensed this. “What are you thinking about little sis?”

The question took Apple Bloom off guard because she did not know what she was really thinking about either. “I’m not sure. I guess I’m just scared.”

“Scared? Scared of what?”

“I don’t know. I guess the future.”

Applejack was a bit taken back at her sister’s response. “The future? Why are you scared of that?”

“Well yeah. The future is kind of a scary thing.”

“Mind me asking why?”

Apple Bloom didn’t want to respond, afraid that Applejack would think she was being ridiculous. “I feel like I have a lot to live up to.”

“Why is that, sugarcube?” Applejack pried.

“You’re a hard working pretty mare, you represent an Element of Harmony, and you helped Twilight save Ponyville a couple times.”

Applejack chuckled softly. “Let me tell you something. Opportunities came to me and I took them. Simple as that. It is what you do with those opportunities that make you who you are. Your time will come, sugarcube. You are still just a little filly. You don’t want to be thinking about such a silly thing at your age.”

Apple Bloom gave her sister a reassuring smile. “Okay. I just don’t want to let you down, sis. And I don’t even have my cutie mark yet.” The smile quickly faded away.

Applejack was uncertain how to respond to Apple Bloom. “All I can tell you is to keep moving. Take it one step at a time. No matter what you do, I will always love you.”

Apple Bloom did not say anything to her sister as she quickly nuzzled against Applejack’s side. It was enough to let Applejack know that she had chosen the right words.

That was when Rainbow Dash appeared from the sky above the two sisters. “What’s up AJ?” she said as her hooves touched the ground. “So you brought Apple Bloom to join us for breakfast huh?”

“Sure did,” Applejack said with a bright smile. “I do like spending quality time with my sister as much as I do my friends.” So much pride filled her words. She smirked, “Probably more.”

Rainbow Dash quickly made her way to the door of the Sugarcube Corner and held the door for the two mares. Applejack gave Rainbow a confused face. “What? Can’t I be nice and let my two friends go first.”

“Well aren’t you sweet,” Applejack jokingly mocked as she entered the café.

They found Twilight Sparkle, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie and even Sweetie Belle with her older sister Rarity at a table in the corner of the café. Twilight and Pinkie sat against the walls. Fluttershy sat next to Twilight and Rarity next to Pinkie. Sweetie Belle obviously sat next to Rarity. They were already engaged in conversation, giggles travelled around the table. Apple Bloom was excited to see another Cutie Mark Crusader for her to hang out with.

The three mares picked their seats on the edge of the table. Apple Bloom made sure she sat next to Sweetie Belle. They immediately began in conversation about their next adventures for the Cutie Mark Crusaders. The other ponies talked about Twilight’s visit to Canterlot. Apple Bloom casually listened to their conversation.

“Soooo, Twilight!” Pinkie Pie blurted. “Why is the town making a big deal about you going off the Canterlot to see the Princess? Not that I’m glad because I’m very proud of you and it is totally awesome that you are a princess and everything…”

“Calm down, Pinkie,” Rarity hushed the party pony. “But I am wondering the same thing, darling. I am proud of you, but it does seem redundant.”

A gleeful look came upon Twilight’s face. “Well it is my first assignment as a Princess so…”

“An assignment?” Applejack asked.

“Yes, an assignment,” Twilight confirmed.

Applejack quickly became excited for her friend. “Well heck, what kind of an assignment?”

“I would like to know too since I am going to Canterlot with you.”

Apple Bloom leaned close to Sweetie Belle. “Rarity is going to Canterlot with Twilight?” she whispered.

“Fashion reasons.”

“Oh.”

Twilight unexpectedly was taken back at Applejack’s intrusive behavior, even though Applejack did not mean it and was being genuine. Twilight did not want to tell the group something, Apple Bloom could tell. Twilight’s eyes went back and forth, debated how much should she give to her friends. This put the little filly unease. Not enough that bothered her.

The other ponies waited in anticipation as Twilight finally spoke, “Well I can’t tell too much about it. Princess Celestia did seem very keen on keeping this a secret but you guys are the Elements of Harmony. But still. Just know that Princess wants me to observe something. That is all I can say.”

“Ooo!” Pinkie Pie gasped.

“Well we won’t ask any more information from you,” Fluttershy softly assured.

“We just hope it is nothing dangerous,” Applejack said.

“I wouldn’t think so,” Twilight said sardonically. “I would bet it is probably nothing.”


Trixie

Trixie always liked the spotlight shined on her. That is why she loathed Twilight and her friends.

She wasn’t always in Ponyville. Trixie travelled across Equestria showing off her abilities with magic. A travelling entertain is what most called her. The Great and Powerful Trixie is what she called herself. She never did stay in one location for long. The blue unicorn was ran out of Dodge Junction because the earth ponies that lived there did not take too kindly to unicorns like herself. The lack of business made her stay troublesome in Fillydelphia and Manehattan.

She dazzled the citizens in Ponyville with her tricks and theatrics. The Great and Powerful Trixie announced to the town that she was the most magical unicorn all of Equestria, boastfulness and all. The unicorn was very content, even at the expense of other ponies. To her credit, she was oblivious of her boastful ways.

Those six ponies ruined it for her. Twilight and her friends decided that they needed to put the Great and Powerful Trixie in her place. Trixie accepted this as a challenge and a chance to prove herself to the citizens of Ponyville. How could she deny them?

Trixie to this day does not like to remember what happened that night.

Most ponies remembers that night as the night Trixie was found a fraud and the blue unicorn was humiliated. She was not the most magical unicorn in Equestria. Apparently it was Twilight. Trixie did not like this.

She remained in Ponyville for the simple fact she had nowhere else to go. Trixie was able to secure a small house on the outskirts of the town and she was able to befriend a few ponies. Even if it was through pity towards Trixie, but she did not know that and she didn’t need to know that. Certain things were best left unsaid.

She found herself glaring at Twilight and her friends. She noticed those two fillies were also there. They were smiling, laughing and having all around a good time. Twilight of course was the center of attention at the table as usual. The Great and Powerful Trixie blood started to rise, her teeth grinded against each other.

“Um, Trixie?” Roseluck called delicately.

Trixie lifted her head to look at her. “Yes,” she simply replied. Trixie almost forgot she was at the flower shops, her mind escaped her while she envied the alicorn.

Roseluck, Daisy and Lily Valley owned and managed the flower shops in Ponyville. They could always be found at their shops.

“It’s nothing. It was just that you were staring at the Sugarcube Corner or that what it looked like,” Roseluck said.

“Yeah,” Daisy simply agreed.

“It’s nothing,” Trixie denied.

Lyra and Bon Bon came up from behind Trixie. “Is it Twilight again?” Lyra asked as she already knew the answer. The duo saw Trixie stare into Sugarcube Corner and Roseluck breaking her concentration. It was well known Trixie had it out for Twilight for embarrassing her.

“Yes,” Trixie answered.

“Of course it is,” Bon Bon said mockingly.

“What is that supposed to mean?” Trixie angrily asked.

Bon Bon shook her head.

“Because you are always jealous of her,” Daisy answered for Bon Bon.

“That is because Trixie is better than her,” she defended herself.

“See! That is what we are talking about!” Lyra said in frustration.

“Look, we are your friends for a reason. We don’t care if Twilight is better at magic than you. It just doesn’t matter,” Roseluck tried to choose her words wisely.

Roseluck words were not chosen right and her statement stung her inside. Such words would sting a boastful pony. Glory is what ponies like Trixie longed for. Trixie did not wish to ponder on Roseluck’s words, but the current conversation was not letting her do so.

“You are great with magic, I’ll give you that,” Bon Bon started. “But there are certain things you need to let go. This is one of them. You’ll always be miserable if you keep thinking of ways to best Twilight. It just isn’t healthy for anypony to put themselves like that.”

“It is because you think Twilight is better than Trixie isn’t it,” Trixie replied with a hint of sadness in her voice. The ponies knew that Trixie had become vulnerable at this point but still wanted to calm her down. They also knew that Trixie had no love for admitting she is wrong or backing down. “She is an alicorn now. A princess too. Princess Celestia loves her but who cares for Trixie?”

All the ponies shared a bewildered look. “We do. We care for Trixie,” Lyra said calmly.

“Yeah, you don’t have to be so great or powerful for us to care about you,” Lily Valley added.

“Everypony should care about the Great and Powerful Trixie! That is where true glory is,” Trixie said disdainfully.

“Oh my gosh,” Lyra said in frustration. “Who cares about glory?”

“Trixie does,” Trixie quietly said.

“You are our friend and everything but it is stuff like this that you make it really hard for us to be around you,” Lyra said immediately regretting her statement.

It was deadly silent. Nopony dared to utter a word. Lyra’s words were true and even Trixie knew it. She did make it hard for them to be friends with her. All she did was spend her time loathing against Twilight and her friends. Trixie shot her head up and glared back at Sugarcube Corner. “Just look at them, thinking they are better than everypony else,” she said hatefully.

The ponies considered what Trixie had said and Roseluck reluctantly agreed with her. “I know, Trixie. You never see another pony with them, unless it’s Twilight’s assistant Spike.”

“They are pretty exclusive,” Lyra added.

“I see where you guys are coming from but I don’t care,” Daisy said. “As long as they saving Ponyville, they can keep thinking they are all that."
“They are the Elements of Harmony, Daisy,” Bon Bon started. “For representing what friendship is supposed to be, you’d think humility would be a huge thing for them.”

“They are humble, except for Rainbow Dash and possibly Applejack,” Lily Valley said. “But the others are very reliable good ponies. Rarity can be dramatic but that does not take away from her generosity.”

“Why does any of this matter,” Lyra said. “They have their set of friends, we have ours. They just happen to be the Elements of Harmony. Who cares?”

“Trixie cares.”

“Should have known better to argue with the Great and Powerful Trixie,” Bon Bon said with a smirk.

“I bet you didn’t take the news too well, huh Trixie.” Roseluck said.

“What news?” Lyra ignorantly asked.

“Twilight visiting Canterlot tomorrow morning. It is her first assignment as royalty,” Bon Bon answered. “There was an assembly this morning about it, at the square.”

“I did not take the news well,” Trixie said sadly.

“Hey! You didn’t speak in the third person!” Lyra said happily not noticing Trixie’s sadness.

Bon Bon came by Trixie’s side and gently put one of her forelegs upon Trixie’s neck. “Don’t worry about it okay,” Bon Bon said softly.

“Twilight has everything, though.”

“You’ll have your chance to prove yourself great. Everypony does,” Bon Bon comforted.

A single tear escaped the blue unicorn’s eye as she looked down, embarrassed by her sudden act of weakness. “One can only dream of one.”