• Published 2nd May 2015
  • 1,118 Views, 7 Comments

The Moon's Tear - Luna Sapphire



When Celestia throws the powers of the Elements of Harmony against Nightmare Moon, instead of imprisoning her in the moon, Luna wakes up in a strange new magical world inhabited by humans.

  • ...
4
 7
 1,118

Diagon Alley - Part 2

Harry was very quiet as he ate the ice cream Hagrid had brought and waited for Luna.

"What?" Hagrid asked, worried with the silence of the boy.

"Nothing." He lied, distracted.

Then Luna came out, picked up her ice cream with curiosity - Harry couldn't help but notice that she seemed to have never seen an ice cream - and soon the three were in a shop buying quills and scrolls - finally something that Luna felt familiar with, although the inks that changed color were new - when they left the store she decided to ask:

"What is Quidditch?" To her surprise, Harry asked same question, at the same time.

"Damn, I keep forgettin' that yeh two know almost nothing."

"Don't make me feel worse." Harry protested and Luna decided to tell about the boy in the clothes' shop, with the help of Harry, of course. "... And he said they shouldn't allow people who belong to families of Muggles..." Harry continued.

"But yeh don't come from a family of Muggles. If he'd known who yeh are..."

If he knew who I am and what I can do. Luna thought. Although I will teach a lesson to that naughty boy.

"He grew up knowin' yer name, if his parents are wizards. Did yeh see the people at the Leaky Cauldron? Anyway, what does he know about it? Some o' the best wizards I ever met came from a long line o' Muggles. See your mother! Look who's her sister!"

"So what is Quidditch?" Luna insisted. She didn't want to get into a discussion about Harry's life.

"It's our sport. Wizardin' sport. It's like Football in the Muggle world." As if Luna knew what Football was. "Played in the air on broomsticks and there's four balls. Sorta hard ter explain the rules."

"And what are Slytherin and Hufflepuff?" Harry asked.

"School Houses. There's four. Everyone says Hufflepuff are a lot o' duffers, but..."

"I bet I'm in Hufflepuff." said Harry, depressed.

"Better Hufflepuff than Slytherin." said Hagrid, darkly. "There's not a single witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin. You-Know-Who was one."

You-Know-Who, You-Know-What, why did no one ever bothered to name things? What a wacky world full of mysteries was this? Luna thought, confused.

"Vol... Sorry... You-Know-Who was at Hogwarts?" Harry asked, surprised.

"Many, many years ago."

They bought the textbooks for Harry and Luna in a shop called Flourish and Blotts where the shelves were crammed to the rafters with books the size of paving stones bound in leather, books the size of postage stamps in covers of silk, books covered in curious symbols and a few books with nothing in them.

Luna thought about going back to try to find something to help her return home. She wasn't sure if she should trust Star Gate and believe everything she said.

She remembered package in Gringotts. Why did she have the impression that it was more important than it seemed?

They finished shopping in a calmer atmosphere.

"Well, wands now." Hagrid finally announced. "Oh yeah, an' I still haven't got yeh a birthday gift, Harry."

Harry felt his face flush.

"You don't need..."

"I know I don't need to. I'll tell yeh what, I'll buy an animal fer yeh. Not a toad, toads went out o' fashion years ago, everyone'd laugh at yeh, an' I don't like cats, they make me sneeze.' I'll buy yeh an owl. All the kids want owls, they're dead useful, deliver letters and everythin' else. As for you, Luna..."

"I have an owl. I received her from my aunt when I came here." She replied, not all true, but they seemed to think Star Gate was her aunt.

Twenty minutes later they were on their way to shop for wands. Luna was a little nervous about that part. She wasn't sure how she would react with the typical magic of this world. And if what happened in the bank would be repeated, or if something worse would happen?

The shop was narrow and shabby. The peeling gold letters over the door said "Ollivander's: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 BC" There was a single wand on a faded purple cushion in the dusty window.

A bell rang somewhere in the back of the store when they entered. Space was minimal; an empty storefront except for a single spindly chair that Hagrid sat on to wait.

"Good afternoon." said a soft voice. Harry started. Hagrid must have jumped too because he heard a loud creak and he rose rapidly from the chair, Luna didn't become too scared, but stepped back nervously. The place emanated magic in a way she had never sensed before.

There was an old man standing in front of them, large and very clear eyes shining like two moons in the gloom of the shop.

"Hello." said Harry awkwardly.

"Oh, yes." said the man. "Yes, yes. Thought I'd see you soon. Harry Potter." He noted Luna. "And what have we here?"

She had the horrible feeling that when he looked at her, he could see much more than she seemed at the time. He studied her for a moment and then exhibited a smile that only served to make her more nervous.

Mr. Ollivander turned back to Harry, coming so close they were almost touching noses. Harry saw himself reflected in those eyes.

"And that's where..." Mr. Ollivander touched the lightning scar on Harry's forehead with a white, long finger. "I regret to say I sold the wand that did it." he said softly. "Thirteen and a half inches. Yew. Powerful, very powerful wand in the wrong hands... well, if I'd known what that wand was going out there to do.."

He shook his head and then, to Harry's relief, he saw Hagrid.

"Rubeus! Rubeus Hagrid! Good to see you again... Oak, sixteen inches, rather bendy, wasn't it?"

"It was, sir, yes."

"Good wand, that one. But I suppose they snapped it when you were expelled." said Mr. Ollivander suddenly serious.

"Um... They did, yes." said Hagrid, shuffling his feet. "But I still got the pieces." He added brightly.

"But you don't use them?" Mr. Ollivander asked sharply.

"Oh, no sir." Hagrid replied quickly. Harry noticed he gripped the pink umbrella tightly at the answer, Luna had the impression that it was also more than it appeared.

"Hmmm..." muttered Mr. Ollivander, casting a glare Hagrid. "Well now, let's see Mr. Potter." He took a long tape measure with silver numbers out of his pocket. "What is your wand arm?"

"Er... Well, I'm right-handed." Harry replied.

"Hold out your arm. That's it." He measured Harry from shoulder to finger, then wrist to elbow, shoulder to floor, knee to armpit and round his head. While measuring he said, "Every Ollivander wand has a core made of a powerful magical substance, Mr. Potter. We use unicorn hairs, phoenix tail feathers and dragon heartstrings." Luna didn't like that, but chose not to say anything as not to destroy her cover. "No two Ollivander wands are the same, as no two unicorns, dragons or phoenixes are equal. And of course, you will never get such good results with another wizard's wand."

Harry suddenly realized that the tape, which was measuring between his nostrils, was measuring by itself. Mr. Ollivander walked briskly around the shelves, taking down boxes.

"Enough." spoke Mr. Ollivander, and the tape crumpled and fell, forming a pile on the floor. "Alright then, Mr. Potter. Try this. Beechwood and dragon heartstring. Nine inches. Flexible. Just take it and give it a wave."

Harry took the wand and, feeling silly, made some movements with it, but Mr. Ollivander took it from his hand almost immediately.

"Maple and phoenix feather. Eighteen inches. Quite whippy. Try-"

Harry tried, but barely raised the wand when, once again, Mr. Ollivander took it from his hand.

"No, no. Here, ebony and unicorn hair, eight and a half inches, flexible. Come on, try it."

Harry tried. And tried. He had no idea what Mr. Ollivander was waiting for. The pile of tried wands was growing up on the spindly chair, but the more wands Mr. Ollivander pulled from the shelves, the happier he seemed to get.

"Tough customer, eh? Don't worry, we will find the perfect wand for you somewhere, I wonder now... Yes, why not? An unusual combination, holly and phoenix feather, eleven inches, nice and supple."

Harry took the wand. He felt a sudden warmth in his fingers. He raised the wand above his head, lowered it by cutting the dusty air with a buzz, and a stream of red and gold sparks came out of the tip like a firework, throwing bright sparks that danced on the walls. Hagrid shouted enthusiastically and clapped and Mr. Ollivander cried:

"Oh Bravo, ah, very good. Well, well, well... curious... very curious..." He replaced Harry's wand in the box and wrapped it in brown paper, still muttering, "Curious... curious..."

"I'm sorry Sir," said Harry, "but what's curious?"

Mr. Ollivander stared at Harry with those clear eyes.

"I remember every wand I've ever sold, Mr. Potter. Every single wand. It so happens that the phoenix whose feather is in your wand gave another feather, just one more. It's very curious that you have been destined for this wand because its brother, now it's brother gave you that scar."

Harry gulped.

"Yes, Thirteen and a half inches. Yew. Curious indeed how these things happen. The wand chooses the wizard, remember... I think we can expect great things from you, Mr. Potter. After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named performed great deeds, terrible, yes, but great."

Harry winced. He wasn't sure he liked Mr. Ollivander. He paid seven Galleons for his wand, and Mr. Ollivander turned to Luna.

"Now you, my dear. Which is your wand arm?"

He repeated the measurements with Luna, then handed a wand to her.

"Try this. Oak and Phoenix Feather, fifteen inches," He offered her a wand.

Luna barely caught it, an empty box nearby caught fire, causing her to immediately drop the wand over the counter.

"Absolutely not." Mr. Ollivander put out the fire by throwing water from his own wand.

Luna tried a number of wands, each causing a minor accident, it seemed impossible to find a wand for her.

"Hmm... Interesting." Mr. Ollivander said, after another failed attempt. "Another tough customer. What will I do with you..." He thought for a minute, studying her, then seemed to make a decision. "Could you follow me for a moment?"

Luna hesitated, but followed him to the back of the store. She wasn't afraid. Even if it was a trap, without other people around, to see her or with the possibility of getting hurt, she could easily face him, even if her magic wasn't at the peak of its strength.

"You must have heard my explanation about magic cores to young Mr. Potter." It was just a comment, but Luna nodded in response. "It seems they don't react well with your natural magic"

She stopped. He knew! How?

"I've worked in the field of wands for many years. I've seen many things. You have the same brightness in the eyes as a unicorn. Actually, a stronger version of this brightness. I know you are hiding something. A Transfiguration accident, I suppose. Am I right?"

Luna decided there was no point in lying. But no need to tell everything.

"No, I am like this." She undid her illusion spell, allowing him to see her how she had arrived.

"What are you?" He asked curiously.

"An alicorn, in its closest form to you, humans. But what does all this have to do with my wand?"

"One of the common cores to my magic wands come from unicorns..."

"You believe that would work with mine, do you not?" She completed.

"Normally the wand chooses the wizard, miss, but I think none of them was ready for so special a witch as you."

"Only a thread from my tail." Luna replied, firmly. "And I cut it."

"As you wish." Mr. Ollivander nodded, leading her to a small workshop in the back.

Luna carefully cut a strand from her tail and handed it to the old man. She imagined he couldn't do anything wrong with that.

"Can you come tomorrow to pick up your wand, miss?"

Luna nodded. If she was going to stay at the tavern until the start of the school year, it was okay to return the next day.

"Just don't expect me to arrive too early." She added. She wanted to rest a bit and she usually slept during the day.

"Don't worry. I'll be right here when you come."

Luna was returning to Harry and Hagrid when he called.

"One last thing! What is your name?"

"It's Luna. Luna Stars."

"Well, good night Miss. Stars. And good luck."

The last part he hadn't spoken loud enough for the Princess to hear, as the three were already out the door.

The sun wasn't far from setting when Luna said goodbye to Harry and Hagrid in the Leaky Cauldron. She had a quick snack before going to her room.

To her surprise, when she arrived there, Night Wing had brought her another letter from Star Gate.

Dear Princess Luna

How was shopping? I hope everything has gone well and that Harry hasn't given you a lot of work with questions. I forgot that he was going today with Hagrid.

I forgot something important: If someone asks, you're my niece, your family was killed in an attack by Voldemort when you were little but your sister saved you. You lived with me in Romania and are coming to study in your parents' old school, Hogwarts. If you encounter difficulties with your appearance, it was the result of a transfiguration gone wrong, with which your sister accidentally hit you.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation.

P.S.: don't be walking around Muggle London

Luna put the letter along with all the others and was taking care of a last detail on her purchases; adjusting her uniform to fit her complete hybrid form, if there was an emergency.

Don't go to the Muggle London? It was the first thing she planned for the next day, after going to see Mr. Ollivander for her wand. Star Gate had no right to tell her what to do, and frankly, what's the worst that could happen?