• Published 8th Feb 2015
  • 2,459 Views, 58 Comments

Dashing in the Skies - Sky Melody



All Soarin wanted was a nice relaxing holiday. All was fine, but now there's a storm on the horizon and only he and a certain mare can stop it.

  • ...
4
 58
 2,459

Chapter 2: To Ponyville We Go!

BEEP BEEP BEEP

“Urgh,” Soarin groaned. If there was one thing he didn’t like about being a Wonderbolt, it had to be getting up early. “Too early,” he muttered to himself as he turned off the alarm clock.

Soarin threw the covers off him and heaved his tired joints out of the warm bed. He yawned before going about his usual routine. The sun was shining through the curtains and birds were out singing their sweet melodies.

Soarin stretched out his wings. “Ahhh. Now that feels better.”

He was going to go through his usual routine of making the bed, brushing his teeth, preening his wings, combing his mane and finally having a snack to last him till breakfast. However, Fleetfoot seemed to have other ideas.

“Soarin! Open the door! The train leaves in fifteen minutes!”

“Fifteen minutes? I thought it left in an hour?”

“No it leaves soon and we’re going to miss it if you don’t hurry up.”

Soarin groaned, “Fine, I’ll be there in a minute.”

“Be quick!”

Soarin grabbed his saddle bag out from under his bed. He shoved into it, without much care, any essentials that he would need for his holiday. This included a toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, snacks, a book and some spare change.

“SOARIN!”

“Alright, alright, I’m coming,” Soarin threw his duvet back onto the bed and ran to the door.

He glanced back into his bedroom, of which he would be leaving for the next two weeks. The dark blue curtains hung lonely and the bed was barely made. An ancient chest sat at the end of his bed- a gift from his great-grandfather- as well as a chest of drawers of to the side, next to the door which led onto the en-suite bathroom.

He opened the door.

Outside was a very annoyed looking Fleetfoot, which was odd as she was usually smiling or making some silly joke.

“Where have you been?” she demanded.

“Getting ready. What’s got you all fussed up?” Soarin knew instantly that the words which had left his mouth should have not been used. He threw a hoof over his mouth and tried to cover up his mistake with a cough.

Fleetfoot growled, “You really wanna know?”

“Um”

“If you really wanna know, I didn’t get much sleep last night so you better stop asking pointless questions and get that flank in gear! Come on. Follow me!” she ordered.

Phew! I got out of that one easily. I know better than to speak like that to Fleetfoot when she had a bad night’s sleep. I guess I was-

“Ow!” a voice came from in front of him.

Soarin glanced down and saw a fellow Wonderbolt, lying on the floor.

He quickly helped her up, after realising that he had bumped into her when he was daydreaming. “Are you okay, Mist? Sorry, I wasn’t looking where I was going” he used her nickname whilst smiling sheepishly.

She brushed dirt off her shoulder before answering his question, “Yeah, I’m fine. Just on my way to meet Misty Fly, High Winds, Fire Streak and Wave Chill. We’re going to Fillydelphia!” she said with glee.

“That sounds nice. I’m going to Ponyville with, Fleet. Do you know where the others are going by any chance?” he asked. Soarin hadn’t had the time to ask anypony else where they were staying so he was curious.

“Well, if I remember rightly, Surprize is going to a rock farm, Rapidfire and Lightning Streak are staying in Canterlot, Silver Lining is going to Cloudsdale with a few members of squad 4, Blaze is going to Manehatten and the rest of my squad is going to Cloudsdale.”

There was one pony in particular that was missing from that list, Soarin remembered.

“Where’s Spitfire going?”

“Hmm,” she thought, “I’m not sure.”

“Okay then. Thanks.”

“Bye!” she waved to them before galloping of.

He turned to Fleetfoot. “Look, Fleet. I’m not going anywhere until I know where, Spitfire’s going on holiday. You know how she can be.”

“Okay, this is the one thing I’m going to let you do. Spitfire deserves a break more than any of us. Just be quick!”

“Thanks for understanding Fleet,” Soarin said before running down the hallway and up the stairs towards Spitfire’s office.

Why’s Spitfire not going anywhere? She deserves a break more than any of us. I hope she’s not going to make up the same excuse she uses every time we try to get her to go or do something.

When he got to her office, he opened the door quickly. With any other Wonderbolt office, he would have knocked and waited, however he had known Spitfire since he was a young colt and she insisted that he didn’t knock. Fleetfoot did the same.

Spitfire’s office was one of the largest in the building. In the centre was a large dark brown desk with a leather chair behind it. The walls were dark blue, like the rest of them in the compound, and on two of them hung paintings and a poster. Next to the door was a large blue sofa with a coffee table. At the back of the room was an average sized window with armoured shutters. Next to the desk was a filing cabinet which was filled to the brim with files.

Spitfire was sitting in her chair, in uniform. On either side of her were tall towers of paper and on her desk lay many graphs and forms.

She ignored his entrance.

“Spitire,” Soarin started to say.

She groaned and lowered her head slightly before raising it again and looking Soarin in the eye. “What do you want?”

“I want to know where you’re going on holiday?” he asked her, already knowing the answer.

“Nowhere.”

“Spitfire, you have to go somewhere. You said so yourself, everypony deserves a break.”

“I know, but I can’t,” she lowered her head slightly.

“Why?”

“Isn’t it obvious? Look at all the papers surrounding me. I have forms to fill, graphs to check, ponies to mail and letters to post!” she raised her tone of voice and started to stand up.

“That’s stupid.”

“No, it’s not,” Spitfire strolled up to him until she was right in front of his face. “I’m the one who organizes everything, I’m the captain. I need to do all of this. I don’t have time for a break! Don’t you understand?”

“I think that’s a load of horseapples. You. Need. A. Break," Soarin raised his voice.

“Look. I have got some work to do so just leave!” Spitfire shouted and glared at him.

“Fine,” Soarin agreed, with frustration and anger evident in his voice. He turned around and marched out of the door before slamming it behind him.

The moment he was outside he regretted what he did and said. His ears flopped down and he sighed.

Well that could’ve gone better. It’s not like I meant to shout at her, it’s just that she’s stubborn…well I guess I am more stubborn that Fleetfoot and Spitfire combined, but still. I was just trying to help…

Soarin glanced at the clock and galloped towards the entrance where Fleetfoot was supposedly waiting for him. He then took to the sky, with Feetfoot, to the Grand Canterlot train station.
--------
“Okay, so I may have lied about the train leaving in ten minutes…” Fleetfoot grinned sheepishly earning an annoyed glare from Soarin. “Hey, it’s not my fault that Plumbelle’s Café sells the greatest fruit smoothies and lemon cakes in the whole of Equestria!” she whined. “I just wanted to make sure I got one…”

Soarin rolled his eyes. “Okay, but you’re buying me a fruit smoothie with blueberry pancakes.”

“Already on it,” Fleetfoot walked into the café to order their choices.

Soarin took this chance to admire the architecture.

The Grand Canterlot Station was the second biggest station in the whole of Equestria, the larger one being in Manehatten. The platform was on one side of the building and on the opposite side were lots of shops and cafes, ranging from food to souvenirs. The building was mostly enclosed with a massive sloping glass roof and four main pillars supporting it. These pillars were intricately detailed with carvings of the royal sisters, flowers and some of the most popular tourist attractions in Canterlot. The whole platform floor was made out of a light coloured marble and there were lots of lanterns around to light up the place at night. The station had not many ponies in it, as it was still very early in the morning.

He glanced over and saw Fleetfoot strolling back over towards him with a light purple bag on her back.

“Here. Catch,” she threw half the contents of the bag at him, which he luckily caught.

Soarin took a sip from the smoothie and then a bite from the pancakes. “Mmmm,” he said between chews until he had finished. “There is nothing like Plumbelle’s delights in the morning.”

“I agree one hundred percent.”

Well, at least that improved her mood a lot…

“ALL ABOARD!” the conductor shouted, signalling everypony to get on the train.

"Well, to Ponyville we go!" Fleetfoot raised her smoothie and Soarin chuckled.

Fleetfoot and Soarin hurried to the train, a long journey ahead of them.

Author's Note:

Hope you enjoyed it! :twilightsmile: This was going to be longer but I cut out a few scenes to make it flow better. They'll be in chapter 3 instead. :yay:

If you notice any mistakes, please tell me and I'll change them :twilightsmile: