• Published 5th May 2012
  • 3,994 Views, 45 Comments

The Power of Pride - artimus



Trixie returns to Ponyville with a generous offer for Twilight Sparkle

  • ...
10
 45
 3,994

How To Shoot Plates from Quite a Long Way Away

Both Twilight and Trixie were glad for the interruption Spike had provided. Trixie was barely able to stand after her display, using much of her magical reserves to impress her new student. Of course I succeeded! Such a...ugh, simple matter. Trixie collapsed to the ground as Twilight followed the baby dragon into the library.

As Twilight proceeded into the library, Trixie collected herself from the earlier display. I still can't believe it…Trixie had some tricks up her sleeve the last time, but not like that! The last time I saw her, she couldn't do more than mildly annoy an Ursa Minor. If she tried fighting one now…. Twilight grinned at the possibilities, not just of what Trixie could do, but what she could teach her. Twilight imagined that she could learn enough to perform any task in the library herself! Not that Spike would appreciate being put out of a job, though.

"Twilight! Hey! Twiiiiiii!" Twilight turned quickly to focus on the little dragon. She had been lost in thought for a few seconds.

"Oh, sorry, Spike. What did you need," asked Twilight as she shook her head to clear out thoughts of Trixie.

"To not be around when you're training," He looked past Twilight to the stone that remained embedded several inches into the ground. Twilight giggled innocently.

"Sorry, Spike, we'll try to be more careful."

"Yeah, sure. Anyway, you got a letter." Spike moved to Twilight's desk and picked up a rolled-up piece of parchment. Twilight undid the seal and read it out loud:

To my faithful student Twilight Sparkle,

I am pleased to hear your discoveries in the magic of friendship are leading you not only to discover new facts, but to re-evaluate and develop older ideas. As you no doubt know, examining our past, good or bad, can lead us to find new things about ourselves or those around us. Please continue to keep me posted on any more of your thoughts.
Unfortunately, this matter is not the only reason I write to you. Two days ago, I received news that the village of Winniana was attacked at around midnight by an Ursa Minor. Witnesses in the town reported seeing a pony leading it into the town, though no further details have been discovered. My finest guards are on the lookout for any evidence in the attack. Rest assured that Canterlot workers are doing their best to help repair the damage. Fortunately, no casualties or injuries have been reported as the town was evacuated safely.
I write to you, Twilight, to ask you to keep a lookout for any suspicious activities. I will keep you updated with any further information. Until then, continue your studies on friendship with a passively cautious eye around you.

Your Mentor,
Princess Celestia

P.S. You may wish to curtail Spike's enthusiasm when dictating your letters. He probably should refrain from recording your conversations in our letters.

"Oh no, Spike, did you hear that?"

"Yeah, but it's not my fault you're not clear whether you're dictating a letter or talking to me!" Spike whined.

"No, not that," The lavender unicorn rolled her eyes. "About Winniana! It's awful. At least nopony was hurt."

Spike nodded, "that's lucky, too! I mean, an Ursa Minor? We both know how dangerous they are."

Twilight thought back to her own encounter with an Ursa Minor. In fact, that was when she first met Trixie. Trixie…Could she be connected to this? Twilight cast a suspicious glance toward the door.

"Hey, Twilight, you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?" Spike was looking in the same direction as her. "You know? New pony shows up right after this big attack by an Ursa Minor? Seems like good timing!"

"Yes, Spike, I thought of it," Twilight nibbled at her lip. Trixie was very arrogant, obnoxious, and downright rude, but the idea of her destroying a town with a vicious beast? "No, it couldn't have been her, Spike. Winniana is days away from here and Trixie showed up only the morning after!"

"Yeah, I guess you're right. But maybe you should see if anyone new has checked in to Ponyville recently?"

"Good idea, Spike. I'll see Pinkie Pie later today. If anyone is going to recognize a new face, it'd be her," she chuckled. Twilight made the mental note to check with the party mare later. Having resigned herself to meeting Pinkie later, she headed back outside where Trixie was waiting on the ground. "Trixie! Er, Miss Trixie!" Twilight had to resist the urge to giggle every time she referred to her by that moniker. Twilight's attempts to call the showmare fell on deaf ears, however. Well, sleeping ears anyway, as Trixie was curled, cocooned in her cape and hat. Seeing her, Twilight almost felt sorry to have to wake her up. How cute! Twilight had to stop for a second to ponder that particular thought; long enough to dismiss it, at any rate.

She stepped toward Trixie, extending a hoof to tap her awake. Before she made contact though, Twilight noticed Trixie's cutie mark was exposed. A small hole was torn into her cape. Maybe Rarity can sew that together later. Finally, Twilight prodded Trixie. She didn't so much drift awake charmingly as bolt onto her legs as if Twilight had stabbed her with a needle.

"Who dares awaken the Great and All-Powerful--Oh, it's you…" She lowered her eyelids in boredom at Twilight.

"What do you mean, 'it's you?' You're supposed to be teaching me, aren't you?"

"Of course I am! But the Great and Powerful Trixie grew bored waiting for you to decide to let her continue, so she allowed herself a quick rest to pass the time!" Trixie couldn't admit to Twilight her display had been exhausting. Fortunately, she was ready to continue after her brief respite. "Now, we shall continue! Our next lesson will be target practice!"

"Target practice?" Twilight looked dejected. "But aren't we going to continue with the levitation?"

Trixie may have felt better, but the thought of lifting that boulder again actually hurt her. "We would have, but Trixie is afraid your interruption didn't allow her any more time to teach you! You'll have to practice on your own tonight," she huffed.

Twilight groaned at the unicorn's scolding. She remembered again why the concept of being taught by Trixie sounded so unappealing. "Fine, target practice it is, then."

"Excellent! Now, let's not start off so slowly, lest we run out of time again!" Trixie shot an accusing glare at Twilight as she moved to the small case. Her horn glowing, Trixie set about levitating plates into a pile on the ground. She pulled plate after plate from it; so much that Twilight was sure the amount sitting on the ground now was impossible to fit in an even larger case than the blue unicorn had brought.

Where in Equestria did she get that case? Pinkie Pie? Twilight thought, eyeing the stack. However, she didn't have much time to wonder as Trixie fired 5 plates into the air. One by one, the plates shattered, as Trixie darted her head slightly, but quickly as she destroyed the targets in less than 3 seconds.

"Wow! Good job, Miss Trixie!"

"Yes, Trixie supposes that was one of her better attempts. Let's see how you can do?" With no more warning, Trixie's horn glowed again, sending 5 more plates into the air. Twilight barely had time to react, letting the plates go much farther away than they had with Trixie. Hah! Good luck with those, little unicorn. Even the Great and Powerful Trixie might experience slight diff-, however before she could finish that thought, all five plates shattered simultaneously.

Twilight grinned at her accomplishment, taking a gleeful pleasure in her accomplishment. "Wow, that wasn’t bad," Twilight giggled, allowing herself a bit of pride.

"W-Well, that's certainly a…a start, isn't it? I…Trixie would like to see you try even harder, though! Even a child could master target practice going that slowly!" Trixie could do little to hide her frustration as she lifted 5 more plates and threw them far faster than she had before. Within a second, the plates became little more than dots. Twilight ducked her head down, horn aglow; as Trixie watched the dots disappear instantaneously. She pulled a pair of binoculars from her case and looked to where the plates had been. On the ground were the remains of, Trixie estimated, five plates. Incredible! Maybe this pony does have something to show me after all.

That morning was spent Trixie launching more and more plates, each time Twilight effortlessly demolished them in the same way, missing only a few over the course of the session. If I was this good, maybe I could have--, "That's enough for today! Trixie will allow you the rest of day to yourself to recuperate for tomorrow! Yes, the Great and Powerful Trixie is indeed a benevolent teacher, but don't expect as much mercy tomorrow!"

Twilight mostly ignored Trixie's self-congratulating as she fell back onto her haunches. Spending hours destroying plates so precisely had taken it out of her. She accepted Trixie's dismissal without complaint. "No…No problem, Miss Trixie," she gasped as she pulled herself off her haunches, faintly noticing how the nickname came naturally from her. She looked back tiredly as she headed back into the library. "You coming," she asked Trixie.

"Just because Trixie allows you rest doesn't mean she is so lazy. She will remain out here!"

"Okay, just don't hurt yourself on all the shards." Twilight yawned as she proceeded into the library, closing the door behind her. At the moment Trixie heard the door shut, she felt a pang of something shoot through her heart, as she felt a wetness descend down her cheek.

Quickly, Trixie checked all around her for anyone. The morning had been very quiet, but it would be just her luck to have some pony catch her at a moment of weakness. Satisfied that no one was around, Trixie wiped the tears from her face, turning her attention back to the suitcase. What am I thinking…? "If I was this good?" Of course I'm that good! I am Trixie , the Great and…Powerful…. Trixie reassured herself as she lifted several plates, tossing them. Her horn glowed, but she failed to break any before they hit the grass completely intact. She began to walk toward them.

Why? I've spent all my life as the most powerful, most show-stopping unicorn in all of Equestria, but again I've found myself being bested by Twilight Sparkle. What's so great about her? Trixie stopped where the plates had landed. Using her magic, she levitated one plate, forcing it into hundreds of pieces. First that Ursa Major thing…, she broke another plate with her magic. No, that wasn't even an Ursa Major. Just a child! I couldn't even vanquish a child! Crash! Another plate fell into pieces. And on top of that, she can take out a speeding object no matter how fast or how far away!

The fourth plate broke under her powers. She lifted another with her magic. She felt the wetness in her face returning. This time, she didn't bother wiping it. She's embarrassed me again. Not only by somehow showing more talent than even I, but…, Trixie felt her cheeks grow hot. The plate she was holding shook and trembled under the pressure she placed on it, but it wouldn't break. Trixie groaned loudly, straining to destroy it but it wouldn't break. Finally, she tossed it onto the grass. The Great and Powerful Trixie will not be bested by that mare again! She raised her hoof, gritting her teeth and allowing the tears in her eyes to flow freely. I'll use her; become better than her! Then, I'll be rid of her in my thoughts for good!
Her hoof descended and violently crushed the plate, its crashing echoing in her ears. She brought up her hoof again, bringing it down once more. And again. I am not some pathetic filly to be shown up so easily, I am the Great and Powerful Trixie! Trixie felt her hoof slide out from under her, as she slipped on a plate shard. She collapsed onto the ground in a husk of tears, covering her face with her hooves and doing her best not to sob. Or not to sob loudly, at the very least.