• Published 9th Apr 2015
  • 2,156 Views, 103 Comments

From a Sparkle to a Spark - Infernity Zero



The prodigal daughter has returned. After a long struggle, Sunset Shimmer has righted her wrongs to return to Celestia's side. But all is not well in Equestria or on Earth, as a familiar face aims to exploit both worlds. Can the threat be stopped?

  • ...
5
 103
 2,156

Impossibilities

Twilight Sparkle had returned to the Pie residence only to find the rest of the girls waiting for her. A bit embarrassed, she offered a hasty explanation for her behavior and an apology for making them worry. And since everyone was already there anyway, Pinkie Pie insisted on a slumber party at her house. Everyone obliged, if for no other reason than to give support against any more nightmares. But when the time finally came for slumber, they hit a little snag.

"What are you talking about, Rarity? I'm perfectly fine sleeping like this."

"Out of the question, darling. While the crown you're wearing is lovely for accessorizing, it's completely impractical for sleeping. I mean, no wonder you keep having bad dreams with that thing pushing down on your head." She began ruffling through her knapsack purse. "I'm certain I have a nightcap in here somewhere. Maybe between the eyelash curler and the thermal underwear."

Twilight stepped back, holding her arms up defensively. "This really isn't necessary, believe me."

"Ah, there it is. Right next to the portable sowing machine." Rarity pulled it out with a triumphant grin and moved towards her. "Just plop it on, and you'll be asleep in no time."

"But my crown."

"I promise, you can put it back on first thing in the morning."

She fidgeted, hesitating. And that hesitation gave Rarity just enough time to reach over.

"Hey!" A rather loud squelch accompanied the crown's removal.

A bit taken aback, Rarity stared at her friend.

"How long were you wearing this thing? It left an imprint on your head!"

"I've tried to avoid taking it off ever since my horn broke. It's important to me." She began swaying on her feet.

Confusion turned to concern. "Twilight. It's just a crown. Wearing it won't make your horn grow back any faster."

"I know that." It was getting hard to concentrate. "I just needed something...t-to remind me of home."

What's happening to me. Why do I feel so weak?

Rarity noticed it too. "Are you all right? You've gone pale."

She was more than just pale. Her throat ached. Her head throbbed. She tried to take a step and lost her balance.

"Twilight!"

Twilight didn't hear her. She was already falling. Everything fading into a black void of nothing.

"It's...so...hot."

With a dull thud, she collapsed on the floor, unconscious.


The streets of Canterlot had gone silent. One by one, each of the street lights were extinguished; as anyone with half a brain in their head would be inside and asleep by now. And so it was that when Twilight Sparks recovered from her fainting spell, she was in complete darkness and utterly alone. Not letting herself dwell on that, she practically sprinted back to Crystal Prep's county. Normally, two miles of running for someone so athletically challenged would have left her exhausted. But in this case, her mind was racing just as fast.

"I still can't believe it. That girl had wings. A-a-and she was...flying."

But that wasn't right. Humans. Couldn't. Fly. Determined to resolve this conundrum, she began running down other possibilities.

"A hallucination brought on by some bad food? No, that's can't be right. I'm on a strictly regimented diet. Maybe it was some kind of stunt show...in the middle of the night...with no equipment...or audience to see it. Yeah right. Maybe it was some sort of genetic mutation caused by a rapid evolutionary growth spurt. No, that's just stupid."

This didn't make any sense. And the more she mulled it over, the less sense it made. She kept puzzling until her head ached from exertion.

"I've got nothing." With growing horror, she repeated herself. "I've got nothing."

Logic and reason had failed her. Her train of thought had wrecked. There was just no way to explain what she'd seen. Unless.

"No. N-n-no way. But that can't be. That's IMPOSSIBLE!"

And yet, it had happened. She'd seen it with her own two eyes. And with no other possibilities, only the truth remained. That grey girl had been flying. What did it mean? If the very rules of reality could be bypassed like that. What did it mean for the world if the impossible became possible? She had to figure it out.

She was so busy musing that she didn't even notice that she'd arrived at her home. She didn't care that it was past midnight; she had to put her findings in writing.

"It's Substance X. It has to be. Nothing like this ever happened before Substance X. So, it can do more than just make plants grow. Somehow, it lets p-p-people fly. What else can it do?"

Her mind went back to what Lyra had told her. How she, or someone who looked like her, had saved the school from a "raging she-demon." She'd filed the word away as mere hyperbole before. But now, she wasn't so sure. No doubt Substance X was responsible again.

Her mind blazed with the prospect of possibilities. Or were they impossibilities? She couldn't tell anymore. She thought and wrote and wrote and thought until a hand cramp forced her to stop.

"This is just amazing. Substance X could be the catalyst for whole new fields of study. Increased food production, rapid transport, total bodily alteration. Why, I bet something this potent could even r-r-raise the dead."

She had to find out more. To really see how far she could take this. The science lab would suffice for experimentation, of course, but she needed a way to isolate the substance for testing. Which meant, she'd need test subjects.

One way or another, she'd figure it out. She had to.


"Back so soon, Princess?"

Both the voice and the dreamscape were painfully familiar to Twilight. Another nightmare.

"What do you want with me? Why can't you just leave me alone?"

Instead of a horrible monster, all she could see in the surrounding darkness was a pair of glowing green eyes. Blanching back, she tried to crawl away.

"What do I want? I'll make this simple. I want your spirit broken, I want your friends dead, and I want the power you possess." A toothy grin appeared beneath the eyes.

"Why? What did I ever do to you?"

The figure gave a small huff. "You didn't do anything. I'm just taking advantage of an available opportunity, and you're just along for the ride."

"You're not the first malevolent creature I've faced. And you'll do no better than the rest."

The mouth opened, releasing a loud cackle. "'You've faced'? Don't you mean 'we've faced'? Judging by your memories, I'd say your friends have been major contributors toward each of your so-called victories."

"Yeah? What of it?" The irritation in her own voice caught Twilight by surprise. "My friends are the whole reason I became a Princess. They've helped me overcome obstacles I'd never have beaten on my own. Since you've apparently been inside my head, you should know they're what make me strong."

The grin returned, larger this time. The sight made her think of a lion about to pounce. "But what if I told you I could bring all of that crashing down with just one question?"

With crossed arms and a defiant glare, Twilight didn't back down. "I'd say that you're overestimating yourself. Do you really think one sentence can make me turn my back on everything I've ever known?"

"If you're all that confident, then surely you're not in any danger if you answer it."

The bait had been set. Poking Twilight's pride and encouraging overconfidence to get her to lower her guard. She could either bite the hook and try to silence the figure or refuse and let it keep tormenting her. No contest.

"No matter what happens, I will not be afraid. Ask your question."

"What is the Princess of Friendship without her friends?"

"I--uh--what?"

The girl was struck dumb. Celestia had asked the same thing after Tirek's defeat. At the time, the words had been an affirmation of her new role; but now, this thing was using them against her.

She'd never really given it much thought. It was always her and her friends, ever since Nightmare Moon. The six of them working together to save the day. But even so...

"If all your accomplishments come from your friends, then that just makes you worthless on your own."

Twilight fired back. "I'm still a magical prodigy, Celestia's chosen student, and one of the most intellectual unicorns in Canterlot, if I do say so myself."

"But you're not the only one in that category." The figure sneered again. "Sunset Shimmer held all three of those positions before you."

"Hmph. I'm not jealous of Sunset, if that's what you're going for. In fact, I'm quite proud of her. She fell into darkness, but fought her way out. Not many ponies can say they've done the same."

"Not even you. Especially not you. Don't you get it? She's the prodigal daughter, Just as powerful as you if not more-so. That's why Celestia let her come back and left you stuck here."

"W-what?" That thing had struck a nerve. "Celestia would never abandon me."

"Oh of course not." The figure chuckled in mock sympathy. But it doesn't change the facts. Sunset's just like you. She's there and you're here. And Equestria doesn't need you two Twilights."

The alicorn faltered, uncertain against the shadow. "You don't know what you're talking about. She's not going to replace me."

"If it wasn't for her, you'd be DEAD. So in a sense, she already did. Who sent for Celestia? Who set you free from the spell? Who single-handedly saved the school? Not you, that's for sure."

"No."

"She's got your magic, your drive to succeed, and your friends. And that means--"

"Don't say it!"

"You're not needed anymore."

Author's Note:

This chapter has been brought to you by severe writer's block, annoying interruptions, general stress, and worry about how well I'm doing. :ajbemused:

BUT AT LEAST IT'S DONE! :raritycry:

But in all seriousness, I had no idea how long this would end up being. Not just the chapter, but the whole story. I mean we've spent five whole chapters just setting up the conflict, and I still don't know if it's rushed or not. So, I suppose you could consider this the story's first checkpoint.

Rose: Assuming he doesn't end up rewriting whole portions of this thing. He's really stretching his talents here. Though now that he's got more of an idea about how to develop Human Twilight, it should be a bit easier now.

This chapter's important for the future, so feedback is vital. I hope I did okay with the set up.