• Published 30th Mar 2015
  • 216 Views, 1 Comments

The Detective - Uncle Knot



Com Hurri is a detective with a talent for understatements. In this story speaking out gets her in a lot of trouble and extra work.

  • ...
 1
 216

A Party to Remember

The next evening the tempertures were dropping, so being on deck was a bit chilly. I was prepared, tonight was a traveling night, I had dressed for traveling, disdaining a gown, and my big gamble to get Flash Sentry back. I waited outside a private lounge that would be perfect for my potentially dangerous and deadly game. The Captain and the purser had been very helpful in insuring that all guests and suspects arrived. Instead of eating in the grand dining room, we would be having dinner in this private lounge. Claude, our waiter still acted as our server. I waited outside checking off the list of special guests I had invited. The captain had wanted to post some extra guards, but I opposed, arguing that guards might scare away those who needed to be there most.

Checking my list (Captain Capella, Fleur de Lis, Fancy Pants, Skye, Jump Start, Maud Pie, Silver Soldier, Cream Pie, Clashing Thunder, Penny Thief, Obsidian Dusk, Midnight Song, Trixie, Fotinos, Viper Tail, and the director) once every pony was there, I entered the lounge. Trixie and Viper Tail were the first to address me.

“The great and powerful Trixie has a show to do” said Trixie

“Yes we do” echoed Viper Tail “it is part of our contract”

“Your contract will be kept” I said “you’ll just be a little late tonight. Please join us for dinner.”

The lounge had been set up with a long table instead of the round type found exclusively in the grand dining hall. Dinner again started with a crisp fresh salad. I introduce our special guests to the others;

“This is Viper Tail and Trixie” I said

“The great and powerful Trixie” interrupted Trixie

“And this is Fortinos and ‘the director’, our very special guest” I said ignoring Trixie’s interruption. “I wanted you all here to tell you something”

“At last” said Captain Capella “the end of this mystery”

“Not so fast” I said “Remember you charged me with finding Flash Sentry and retrieving him, not catching his abductors”

“What?!” exclaimed Captain Capella, as did some of the other guests

“Surely he is dead” said Fortinos

“Captain Capella” I stated forcefully “I have every confidence that you are the correct choice for being Captain of the ship and safely getting it to Manehatten.”

I paused to let that information sink in.

“So there is a danger?” asked Maud Pie

“Yes, but not what was thought to be” I said “First, Flash Sentry was here to investigate Captain Capella. He was not abducted to protect the Captain, but because he was interfering with another investigation.” Did Fancy Pants’ left eyebrow just twitch?

I continued “he was investigating whether the Captain could be trusted not to sink this ship”

“What? Why would I do such a thing?” asked Captain Capella

“Because you are a siren” I said

“What? How did you know?” he responded

“You yourself told me” I said “you said that this ship was unsinkable, not even the sirens of old could sink it. Add that to your name Antonia Capella or ‘Acapella’ and it would reinforce rumors that the threat of sirens has been encountered again”

“I would never sink this ship” said Capella

“I know, I have every confidence in you” I said “but some pony else didn’t. They sent Flash Sentry here to investigate you, unfortunately Flash was not the only one here to investigate you.”

“So the other investigators abducted Flash so he wouldn’t mess up their investigation?” Jump Start jumped in with his thought.

“Correct” I said

“So who are they?” asked Cream Pie readying a cream pie from out of nowhere as if to smash some pony.

“And what about the changeling?” asked Silver Soldier

“Changeling, what changeling?” asked Penny Thief

“Wait, what!” exclaimed Trixie “not only is there a siren here, but a changeling as well. The great and powerful Trixie is not amused”

“Please calm yourselves” I said “you wouldn’t want to do anything to upset the ‘changeling? She might get nervous again and make some pony disappear. I need her to save her strength and make me disappear in exactly the same way Flash vanished.”

“What?” exclaimed Clashing Thunder “She is here now? And you want her to get rid of you the same way she got rid of Flash?”

“Yes” I said “I’ll either catch up with you all later tonight or meet you in Manehatten”

“Wait, how can you be so sure?” asked Captain Capella

“Relax Captain” I said “I am a detective. Claude – turn off the lights”

The room darkened and the shutters let in no light from the outside deck. Unlike the previous event, there were no screams, but the green light recurred. Except this green light was all about me like a ball of flame.