• Published 26th May 2015
  • 895 Views, 13 Comments

The Progression of Sunset Shimmer - moviemaster8510



Sunset Shimmer and her friends from Canterlot High have made it to college. While excited to begin a new life in a new school in a new city, things really begin to pick up after joining a band as their new guitarist.

  • ...
11
 13
 895

Trains

I could have been born a pegasus, but I’m glad I’m the way I am now. Taking the train back in Equestria was always a special experience; you could see so much detail in the landscape that you couldn’t get in the sky. This is my first time taking the train at all in this new world, and I can’t help but continue looking out the window the entire time.

It kind of helps me face the fact that in a few hours, my friends and I are about to head off to Manehattan University to begin our first days at coll–––––

A light, but firm object struck the back of Sunset Shimmer’s head, making her drop both her pen and a brown leather journal with a red-and-yellow sun decaled all over the front. Rubbing the back of her head, she turned to see Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie smiling nervously and regretfully as the former held her soccer ball that bounced back into her grasp.

“Ehehe,” chuckled Rainbow Dash, “sorry about that.”

“I can’t help it!” Pinkie Pie loudly squeaked, gaining the attention of the annoyed others on the train. “I’m too excited about college that I just want to do everything now! I wanted to have a ‘frat’ party, whatever that means, but the conductor told me he’d throw me off the train if I did!”

Sunset Shimmer laughed in assurance to her two friends.

“It’s perfectly okay, Pinkie Pie,” she affirmed. “I’m just as excited about college as you are.”

“That’s debatable,” added Rarity, sitting in the seat ahead of hers. “I’m sure the experience will be unforgettable nonetheless.”

Sunset nodded. Looking around to the next seat past Rarity’s, she could catch a glimpse of Fluttershy curled up with her feet on the seat’s cushions. Applejack’s Stetson hat was all Sunset needed to find her. Picking her pen and book back up, she flipped through the pages until she came across one that was only half filled. Below the scrawl that her pen left behind, a small question in neat cursive was written below it.

Sunset. Are you alright? You seem to have been cut off.

She smirked, gladdened by the prompt response from her very distant friend. Putting pen back to paper, she resumed her message.

It’s quite alright, Twilight. Just dropped my book and pen on accident. I was just going to say how excited we all are for our first days of college. I also couldn’t be any more grateful that we all get to go together. There’s a lot of others from Canterlot High who are going to different schools, but I guess we’re the lucky six. I still wouldn’t have it any other way.

I’ll write back once we get settled in our dorms. I’m sure I’ll have plenty to write once we do.

“Hey, Sunset,” exclaimed Pinkie Pie, suddenly appearing behind Sunset on Rainbow Dash’s seat, “are you writing to Twilight? Tell her I said hi, and that I miss her, and that she should come to the first frat party I’m throwing!”

Sunset nodded in acknowledgement, turning back to her book.

Pinkie Pie says hi too. I’m going to get a small nap before the train arrives. Talk to you soon.

Sincerely,
Sunset Shimmer

With her letter complete, Sunset placed both her pen and journal into the front pocket of her backpack, zipping it back up and gently laying the side of her head down upon it. With the gentle hum of the train traveling through her head, her eyes slowly closed, the sounds of Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie playing behind her becoming serenely silent.