• Published 2nd Dec 2014
  • 1,213 Views, 16 Comments

A Life's Stanza - Treblemaker



Vinyl Scratch has more of a softer side than the world famous DJ would like to admit. Especially concerning Octavia Philharmonica

  • ...
2
 16
 1,213

Amplify

Three years ago
 
 The nightclub was rather busy this night, probably due to the copious amounts of advertising Management had pushed out to spotlight their new DJ. The club scene was just picking up speed in Canterlot, and the introduction of a new disk jockey had peaked the interest of many a party pony. However, due to the city being full of stuck up snobs, each nightclub had to be soundproofed to the outside world, leaving those wandering the streets at this late hour unaware of the events within.
  

Loud, pumping music and brilliantly flashing lights were side effects of the showmare’s work, the direct result was the simple fact that everypony was dancing. Many DJ’s could produce the two former, but it was trademark for Vinyl Scratch when latter came into existence.
  

Management sat back and smiled as his profits steadily grew larger, due to a devious little game that just so happened to be Vinyl’s brainchild. As she stood at her equipment, doing whatever it is that DJs do (Management couldn't care less), she challenged anypony to mix a drink and she would drink it mid performance. One would win the game if their drink could manage to break Vinyl from the performance, no matter how small the interruption. To most it appeared easy, just mix the worst drink possible, one that could drop anypony, however they didn't count on Vinyl downing anything they threw at her. Probably due to the secondary nullification spell she cast when she picked up the glass with her magic, it removed all alcohol (well most of it, she enjoyed a drink as much as the next pony) and negative side effects from any drink, allowing her to down the contents without hassle.
  

With the prize growing larger with each failed attempt, Management sought to break out more and more supply barrels from the storeroom. This mare is getting a bonus, he thought as he surveyed the scene. Despite being new, Vinyl had a way with crowds, the bouncers were hardly needed. She loved to mingle, and sought to do so after every manual set, going so far as to dance on the floor with others during her preset mixes. With the magical equivalent of a Rolodex, she never forgot a pony’s name either, leaving her to be the most memorable event the club would have for quite sometime.
  

“Hey! Shade wasn't it? Deal Shady?” The charismatic voice floated over to a mostly unoccupied table. “I remember you from last week in Manehatten.” Vinyl continued as she sat down next to the stallion.
  

The stallion laughed, “Yes it is, great show you've got here.”
  

“Why thanks! It means a lot when ponies like my work. Say, how’s the casino going? Las Pegasus?”
  

A smile flashed upon his previously stoic face, “Pretty good at the moment, however it doesn't draw the crowds like Canterlot will.” He took another sip of whatever devilish concoction he had mixed himself, being a renowned drink maker.
  

Vinyl smiled behind her signature shades, “But they don’t party like they do in Las Pegasus, these ponies are more sticks in the mud.”
  

“So I've noticed,” Deal paused, “did you know that your light shows tend to reflect what type of audience you have?”
  

Amusement flashed across her face as she turned to observe the lights. Abrupt stops and sudden color changes did in fact appear to describe the high class crowd of Canterlot as abrasive and unwilling to change. “It’s happened at your other shows too,” continued Deal.
  

“You've been to my other gigs?” Vinyl asked with a smirk.
  

“Yes I have, you’re quite the showmare, it’s entertaining.” Deal said, taking a sip, “drink?” He offered her the glass.
  

“Why not?” Vinyl replied, taking a draft of the concoction. Forgetting her nullification spell in the process.
  

“Say, couldn't the lights do with a bit more pop though?” the stallion remarked, “You know, change it up, make it reflect you rather than the stuck ups?”
  

Considering this to be a good idea, but noticing a few flaws, Vinyl pointed out, “I would, but I’m already using them to their extent, I’d need some more lights.”
  

“Actually, I have a few spells that would fix that,” pressed Deal. “I could teach one to you.”
  

“Sure! I could always use more help.” The white mare mused, her words slightly slurred.
  

“Watch” he said as his magic flared up. A purple hue twisted around lights, and increased the overall power to them, but leaving the colors and patterns intact, “I’ll let you fill in the colors and rotations.” Deal touched the tip of his horn to hers, briefly igniting with his magic.
  

“Alright, so like this?” Her horn shown as she directed her magic to the lights, embedding them with power, but to no avail.
  

“Try this, think about yourself, what do you like the most about yourself.” the stallion coaxed.
  

Her face twisted in concentration until the lights started to change. Taking a deep breath she surveyed as the lights switched shades to two different hues of blue.
  

“Your mane,” He observed, “It’s very pretty.” One couldn't be sure if he was talking about the lights or the actual thing. This might cause apprehension to others, but Vinyl had completely forgotten about the stallion or even any negative consequences of his drink as she pondered the uses of her new light show, as the purple hue wrapped around the lights retracted itself and the green tint faded from her eyes.