• Published 26th Apr 2012
  • 467 Views, 2 Comments

Shivering - infinitiewriter



A pony not like the others, teamed up with a bat with the ultimate destination of canterlot

  • ...
 2
 467

Shivering

Shivering

Some might consider me lonely, others, a freak. The truth relies in ways beyond my explanation, yet despite this; I can confirm that I am no monster, only a dying being. There is very little I know about my situation, but summing it up right here and now might do.

-I am Frigid, Frigid Frostbites. And I am no unicorn, neither a Pegasus. But even without wings nor magic capabilities I am no earth pony. My race is unquestioned and on the verge of being destroyed through racist means and governmental benefits. I am an Ice horse. Better known as the freezol race, and even though this might seem fairy-tale-ish, I am on a quest to raise awareness of my kind.”

Scratch stared at the pony in front of him. A simple knowledge bat might not seem to have the capabilities to tell much, but he had sympathy for this soul. At first sight, he seemed like an earth pony covered in icicles, worried, he dashed towards him and asked what was going on. His answer was less than waited for.

-So, you are a totally different race of Ponies, and you wish to enter them into modern society?” the sapphire bat asked.

-In a way, yes. All there has been known is that Ice ponies were already there, along with the very first pegasi, Unicorns, and earth ponies. As you might know, Princess Celestia has the capability of all the pony races; however, there was a defect in our birth. That’ll be told some other time. For now, is there anything else I might help you with?” I asked.

When we stay in the same place for long, the common Freezol’s body starts freezing, so that when we die, our body still actively produces ice around us and we turn into glaciers or icebergs. I had better things to do then turn into a living snow mountain.

-Let me help you” were the only words he said, although quite ironic, I did indeed freeze in place at the bat’s question.

-W-w-well, um…” I stammered, usually, the only souls I crossed either looked terrified at my sight, or ignored me completely. I wasn’t used to this kind of request. More or less this kind of attention, however, looking back at my situation, I realized I needed all the help I could get.

-Sure” I answered. “But try not to direct too much attention to us”.

-Got it!” he said as he landed on top of my head, oblivious to the ice shards that were protruding from my mane. Maybe this wasn’t such a bad idea after all.

-Um, dude?” asked the bat “Why are you’re hooves incased in ice?” I gasped. With all the courage I could muster I looked at my hooves, and indeed, they were slowly freezing themselves.

I broke my hooves free and continued on my way “So, what’s your name?” I asked, looking up to the bat.

-Dart the knowledge bat at your service” he replied, holding up a wing to shake, I raised my hoof and awkwardly shook hooves and wings with a bat. A knowledge bat nonetheless.

-So where are we headed?” he asked. To be honest, I had no idea.

-No specific place” I answered, keeping my cool “Just somewhere highly inhabited where I can spread the news”. Dart looked thoughtful for a moment.

-Hm, I might know the perfect place, but believe me when I say it’s no catwalk” he said, waiting for my response.

-Oh-no! We are NOT headed to Ponyville!” I emphasized “I hear there are wild party ponies there! Plus, it has the 6th biggest population according to my research”

Dart broke into a laughing fit “I wasn’t even gonna say that!” he chuckled “I was gonna mention Canterlot” he let loose a huge grin while I stood there looking like a total idiot.

-Okay then, how do we know that Cannalot is safe?” I suggested, trying to look smart to make up for my mistake.

-Canterlot is fine! I’ve been there thrice with my flock! It’s huge there!” he started daydreaming, but I snapped him out of it “I’ve been to Ponyville too, and believe me, the worst thing to fear are the angry farmponies” He smiled a bit recalling the antiques he’d done there.

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

-EEEEEEHHHH!” cried a nearby mare at my sight. I sighed. Was it a crime to be different? I bet Princess Celestia would have shrieked in my presence.

-This is normal for ya, huh?” asked Dart, looking mildly sympathetic.

-More or less” I sighed once more “I never get over the discord I’m making everywhere I go”.

-Anypony, HEEEEEELLLPPP!” continued the distressed mare. “That thing is going to eat us all!” yeah, I’m a real monster, and the icicle fangs in my mouth are totally for munching on mares.

In a matter of time, three policeponies showed up, carrying police clubs in their mouths or with they’re telekinesis. They shouted at us to stay where we were and not to do any sudden movements. Dart looked furiously at the officers and flew off my mane, ready to dash at them. I held him back.

-Lemme at ‘em!” he threatened “You policeponies are messing with the wrong duo!”

-Easy there Cerberus” I said. “Let’s show a good example for my kind”

Dart slowly calmed down “fine, but all I’m saying is that they asked for it”.

With a strong but steadfast breath, I created an icy mist to cover for us while we made our escape.

Believe it or not, I’m always damaged by the threats they make. They don’t physically smack me with their weapons, but the way the ponies describe me crumbles down my self-esteem. Y’know, there used to be an old proverb, that said: Anything that walks on four legs, has a neck, and can be fitted with a saddle, is a pony, and all ponies were created equal. I guess ponies only care about themselves these days.

__ __ __ __ __ ____ __ __ __ __ __

-Look!” shouted Dart, pointing at a nearby cliff that was somehow sparkling “There’s Canterlot!”

I squinted at the mountain, and could make out several buildings, and a sort of castle, though I don’t have the clearest of vision. But there was indeed a city in the direction Dart was pointing.

-Are you sure there’s a city out there? I see only a castle with a few monuments.”

-Of course I’m sure! I’m telling you I’ve been there before!” he said impatiently, hovering around my head. I managed a giggle and continued on. But out of nowhere, a loud bang was heard and Dart stopped, he fell to the ground with a blank expression on his face, and at that moment I knew immediately what was going on.

I jolted around quickly and put up an ice barrier. Shots reflected on the barrier as the source of the blasts didn’t seem to slow down. With my rear leg I swiftly scooped up my fired friend and tossed him on my back, all the while I had to keep the cold shield up as the sound of iron ricocheting of the wall of ice echoed through my crane.

When I was finally convinced that the shots had slowed down, I quickly broke the ice, fast on my reflexes, to meet my attacker. But it was at that moment that I wished I had kept the opponents face hidden.

-There you are, chicken” called the unicorn in front of me. “I was wondering when you’d stop hiding behind that ice cube and start facing me like a stallion”.

-Just tell me what the meaning of this is, Shotcaller?” I answered. My used-to-be friend developed a strong dislike for Ice horses long ago and is now paid to hunt us down. I knew the moment I left Fillydelphia he wouldn’t be late to hear.

-Guess what?” he said, ignoring my question “I’m being paid double to put you to rest” he said, seemingly cocking (?) his horn, ready for another round. As much as I would have enjoyed punching him into oblivion, I knew he was too much, and I needed every ounce of my energy to get me to Canterlot.

It was too late. I saw his horn glowing, and I knew exactly what spell it was.

-Headin’ to Canterlot, are we?” he asked, switching his horn from spell casting to ammunition. Just the look on his face told me that things were gonna get ugly if I stayed here.

-Being modest, t’wasn’t my first destination” I said, Shotcaller’s attention quickly aimed at the creature on my back.

-What’s that thing on your back?” he asked “That ain’t gonna shield you from anything but your puking control”

As much as I would have enjoyed telling him how lame that insult was, again, I needed to get to Canterlot, but how? My mist wouldn’t serve anything as Shotcaller’s eyes are incredibly keen. If I put up another barrier, he would assault me again. At this point, running was a valid option.

I quickly shifted my weight to make a swift turn, but my consciousness acted and put the logic back into me, I stopped mid-way. How do you run from a teleporting unicorn with eight loads ready to shoot?

Then there was only one option left. I had to fight him until either one of us came victorious, or until I saw an opportunity to flee. So, with a slow but steady breath, I faced my foe, waiting to see who would attack first.

Shotcaller read my strategy and started launching energy blasts from his head. I rivaled his attack by assaulting him with several shards of ice his way. Our power was evenly matched, and we both stopped our shooting at the same time. Seeing as he was exhausted, I quickly surrounded him with giant icicles, and pelted him with hail, with the intention of slowing him down.

The expression “long time no see” must have came into play; I haven’t heard of Shotcaller in years, and he must have learned a move or two as he crashed through his temporary prison and continued on. This time summoning a spear of sorts and charging at me. With the reflexes of a mosquito and the sturdiness of a brick, I dodged his attack several times before he stopped, panting. This was it I thought; I just have to hope he’s tired enough.

I quickly came in front of him and froze my opponent. I made sure that I didn’t just incase him in a single layer of ice, but in multiple layers. I needed to run away far enough to lose him, because he could easily break free and pick up my trail.

__ __ __ __ __ __ __

Dart was just starting to come too as I fled the scene with all my might. Of course, I had no idea he had awoken until he remarked my panting breaths and bruises.

-Hey, what’d I miss?” he asked, looking a little dizzy “and more importantly, what’s wrong with you?” for a knowledge bat, he didn’t seem very bright to obvious clues.

I had no time to tell him the whole story, so I just told him there was a fight that I didn’t want to do. Dart shrugged, and wearily flew back on top of my mane.

-This is no time to rest!” I yelled, shaking my head a bit “tell me how much further till Canterlot”

-Um,” he started, looking big-eyed at the mountain, and then going into a train of thoughts “The main path to Canterlot is 50 meters south, which means you’re currently going the wrong way, and by my calculations, it’s going to take about two days to get there if we head in this direction”

-Oh no” I cried, desperately stressed. I would have even sweared. We needed to get to Canterlot the fastest way possible, and I couldn’t go back and head down the straight road because I left Shotcaller to thaw out while I ran away, and then he’s bound to catch us! He’s probably already on our track! I thought. sighing, I knew there was only one thing to do.

-There’s only one thing to do, i'm afraid,” Dart seemed to know exactly what I was going to say “We’re going to have to keep going down this path”

-Well, it’s your call” said Dart, woozily flying off “I’ve been here before, and there’s nothing but pebbles and rockfelt roads, believe me, that place is no spa”

And so Dart flew off, but I knew better than to send him into a trap.

-Dart! listen to me, Shotcaller is planning for us to turn back, And if he spots you you’ll get smoked again” Dart immediately returned, despite looking rather cross.

But I had bigger things to worry about.

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

Author’s note: I might have forgot to mention this, but during the whole story there is snow everywhere and icicles falling from the trees. In other words, it’s a winter-based scene and will be kept that way during the quest.

I am fully aware that I’m mixing random events of the story, but that s because in chapter two we will cover what happened before, and in-between scenes. After discussion with my editor (whom I am currently persuading to make an account) I will make four chapters for this, and once my “challenge” is done, I have full intentions on continuing.