• Published 14th Sep 2014
  • 2,037 Views, 61 Comments

The Perfectly Normal Life of Megan Williams - drunkenpandaren



Megan is comfortable with her life. Sure the school is divided and the students arguing, but there's always that little assignment to do with Pinkie Pie.

  • ...
3
 61
 2,037

Chapter 1: Pinkie Pies and Homework Bites

"Megan Williams are you paying attention?"

Megan startled for a moment, jerking upright as Mrs. Harshwhinny glared at her. "Um, yes, yes, I'm paying attention!"

"Then answer the question on the board young lady." Megan cringed as her brother leaned over to a nearby classmate. "Busted," he whispered and Megan cringed as she got up out of her chair.

"Then Mr. Williams, you have the second one."

The class erupted into laughter as Megan groaned and went to answer the history question. At least things couldn't get any worse, right?

However it was not to be as Mrs. Harshwhinny cleared her throat. "While the Williams are answering this question, the joint research assignment begins today." Despite muffled groans from the students, she pressed on. "As such, you will be assigned together with a student of my choosing in order to facilitate effective research patterns. Ahem."

Picking up the list, she began to list off a few names. "Soarin and Applejack, you two are working together. Rainbow Dash, you are with Flitter." At this, Flitter cringed just a little at being separated from her sister who sighed. "Cloudchaser, you will be assigned with Miss Doo."

The google-eyed girl waved happily at Cloudchaser and Cloudchaser had to admit at least Muffins's grades were really good despite her affliction.

"Danny Williams," said Mrs. Harshwhinny, and Megan whispered to herself, "Pick me, pick me, pick me...!" "You are with Flash Sentry."

"D'oh!" Taking her seat as Danny got up to answer the next question, it went on. "Megan Williams, you are with Pinkie Pie."

Oh no. Oh no, no, no. Not her, please. Megan cast a glance over at Pinkie Pie who was balancing a textbook on her nose and succeeding. Her head thunked to the desk. "Please not her..." she whimpered.

"That will be all," said Mrs. Harshwhinny as the bell rang. Scooping up their books, Megan remained in her prone state as Pinkie bounced over.

"Hey Megan! We're friends now so we'll have to work together and there'll be a lot of fun stuff and party planning and research and maybe there'll be a little bit of cake too...!"

"Why me...?" Sighed Megan as she got up and grabbed her backpack.

=====

"Hey!"

Megan jumped in surprise when Pinkie Pie erupted out from behind her in her usual wont. Gripping her chest as her heart went a mile a minute, Megan whirled on her. "Don't do that, Pinkie Pie! You scared me."

"Oh right, I forgot you're not good with surprises," said Pinkie, not missing a beat. "Aaanywho, I was thinking about the assignment and we could totally get together after class and work on it together! We can go to Sugarcube Corner and get tall coffees and then talk about what's going on with our lives and...!"

"Pinkie," said Megan in a low voice as she shut her locker. "Why don't we just concentrate on the schoolwork? It's not that I'm not grateful you want to bring me around, it's just that I get a little..."

"Overwhelmed?" supplied Pinkie and Megan nodded. "Oh well in that case, want to meet me outside then? After class I mean. I'm sure we can figure out what's going on with the assignment which was what now?"

"Well we've got to look at the assignment first," said Megan, unfolding the paper she had been given. "Great equine literature... of course."

"Black Beauty then?" said Pinkie.

Megan shook her head however. "No way. Everyone will do that one. Why don't we look for something a little more obscure...?"

"Sure thing! The public library should have a whole bunch of stuff we can look up." Said Pinkie.

Megan arched an eyebrow. "Didn't you get banned from there after Fluttershy's..." At Pinkie's expression darkening, she hastily changed the subject. "Anyways, lets go to the school library instead. It's open late today."

"Right. Well, I'll meet you there then!" With that, Pinkie skipped away as Megan exhaled and picked up her school bag as the bell rang.

"Once more into the breach," she muttered to herself.

=====

"Books on horse literature?" asked Miss Cheerilee, the young student teacher. "Oh you must be doing the first year Lit assignment aren't you?"

"You must be psychic!" Exclaimed Pinkie and Cheerilee shook her head. "No?"

"I was a student here too, you girls know." Picking up a bunch of books deftly, she set them down in front of the pair. "Here's some of the more obscure horse-related stories. At least the ones students won't think about immediately. Bring back the ones you don't use."

"Thanks Miss Cheerilee," said Megan, picking up the stack and heading to a desk, only to tumble forward in a surprised yelp as a pair of snickers came from the nearby table and a voice cut into her thoughts.

"Oh I'm so sorry, I didn't see you there, Megan." Megan grit her teeth as she sat up to look at the sneering expression of Sunset Shimmer, the blonde-and-red girl looking smugly down on her. "I suppose I wasn't looking where I stretched."

"Yeah, I'll bet," grumbled Megan as she sat up and began to pick out books, only to get several of them taken by Snips and Snails. Once third rate bullies, they had hooked up with Sunset Shimmer and was one of Megan's bane. "Hey, give those back!"

"You heard em," exclaimed Pinkie, folding her arms. "Give em back you two!"

"Oh dear, I suppose we could but then you'd have to explain to Miss Cheerilee why her books are damaged." Sunset cast a glance over at Snips and Snails taking markers to the illustrations. "But then that's not MY problem; you two rented it out. C'mon you two."

With snickers punctuating their escape, the three left, leaving Megan seething and trembling. Pinkie picked up a book and opened it up, looking at the illustration of Seabiscuit defiled with crude drawings. "I really don't like those three," said Pinkie.

Megan let out a bellow of rage and smashed her fist into a nearby counter. It cracked under the pressure and Cheerilee's voice cracked like a whip. "Megan Williams!"

"They started it!" Yelled Megan back, but then quieted down from Miss Cheerilee's expression which softened. The older girl picked up the books and said, "I know."

"Then why don't you people do anything about it?!" yelled Megan angrily. "They run this school and have divided everyone at CHS apart!"

"You'll have to take it up with Principal Celestia," said Cheerilee sadly, closing another book and setting it to the side. "I'll get these replaced. In the meantime, take any of them for your assignment."

"Thanks," said Megan, picking up Seabiscuit and Pinkie chose the Horse Whisperer. "C'mon Pink."

=====

The door to the Williams household opened up and Megan tossed her books to the side as she nursed the bandaged hand. On the way home, she stopped by the nurses office for her damaged hand and Nurse Redheart had bandaged up her hand. "I'm home," she muttered.

"Wow, who'd you punch this time?" asked Molly as she walked by, glancing at her elder sister's bruised hand. "Did you finally give Sunset Shimmer a pounding?"

"I almost did, but we were in a no-punching zone," grumbled Megan as she sat down in the kitchen. "Is mom and dad home today?"

"Still on the Rodeo tour," said Danny as he stirred the pot. "Chili okay?"

"Chili's the only thing you can make," said Megan. "But sure. I'll get the bowls."

"I'm headed out after dinner," said Molly. "Apple Bloom wants to go hang gliding off a roof and I decided to join them."

"Oh the hell you're not," grumbled Megan. "There's only room for one injured girl in this house."

"I really hope hang gliding is code for studying," said Danny as he took the pot off the heat and killed the burner. "Like how parkour was code for studying."

"Sure it is," said Molly in a dead-pan as Danny scooped the hot food into bowls. "Seriously, if this is a no-fun zone tonight I can go and eat somewhere else."

"Hey, it's just Sunset, don't let her get to you," said Danny. "Flash has finally gotten over her after all."

Megan picked up a spoon and chewed thoughtfully. "I never knew what he saw in her," admitted Megan. "I mean, he's a good guy. He doesn't deserve a girl like Sunset."

"I suppose..." Danny took a bite of his food and dipped his cornbread into it. "There just seems to be something dumb about this whole thing. Sunset's got the run of the school, Principal Celestia seems to just be content to let this happen. It bothers me, and we're not even in a high school musical for it to be justified with some kind of villainous song and dance."

"What does Vice-Principal Luna have to say about this?" asked Molly. "I mean, she's co-owner of the school. Or even Miss Cadenza?"

"I tried asking and they gave some kind of vague reply," said Danny, shaking his head. "I mean, we're not really new to this place at all, but ever since Shimmer came along it's gotten worse and worse."

"I guess. Geez, I think I just need to eat and sleep." The phone rang and Megan felt like slamming her face into the chili. "Or not."

"I got it." Molly reached over and picked up the phone. "Williams Residence, we're having supper who... oh, hi Pinkie. Yeah she's here. Hold on." Molly covered the end of the phone. "Save some space Megan, she's inviting you to Sugarcube Corner tonight to work on the assignment."

"I guess I gotta," said Megan. "All right, tell her I'll be there as soon as dinner's done."

=====

"Hey! Over here! Meeeegaaaaaaaaaannnnn!"

Megan cringed as she shouldered her school books and walked up to the booth where Pinkie was sitting. "Any louder Pinkie?"

"Naw, I can get really loud," replied Pinkie cheerfully. "So, did you figure out what we were going to read up on?"

"Not me," said Megan, emptying her books. "I picked up one but... what's this?" Picking up a fallen book, she looked over the cover. It had escaped Snips and Snails' rampage with the permanent markers. "The Last Unicorn."

"Not quite a horse but it kinda is? I mean unicorns." Said Pinkie. "We should see about reading through it."

Opening up the book, Megan blinked at the notes penned in the margins. "Someone's written in this too but it isn't the goon patrol."

Flipping through the book, she frowned. "It's written everywhere, lots of stuff."

"Can I see?" Handing over the book, Pinkie looked through it. "I've seen this cursive before, but I can't pin it down. Look at this one though. 'The average equestrian stands at a height of about 4 feet at maximum. Horns are filed down for maintenance and care. Every year, adult mares can potentially shed their horns and they are used in medicines.' Weird that."

"Here's another. 'This depiction of unicorns is under the impression that the author has no clue of the Equestrian charter of unicorn rights after the Great War of...'," and here Megan squinted at the unfamiliar characters. "Some kind of date."

"Weird, sounds like a cross history exam or something," said Pinkie. "You think we should show this to Miss Cheerilee?"

"Actually... look at this. There's almost enough content to write a whole encyclopaedia right here in the margins. All of this points to a world they call Equestria. I think we found someone's homework on story-telling." Megan grinned a little. "Why don't we ask Mrs. Harshwhinny if we can present on this?"

"Really? You think she'll go for it?" asked Pinkie.

"I don't see why not. There's enough reference material written in this book to fill an encyclopaedia. I'll get Danny to photo copy all of this and then we'll both have copies. Sound good?" Megan grinned at her and Pinkie smiled right back.

"A+ here we come!" exclaimed the pair, a shout echoed from outside that sounded oddly like "Crusader Hang Gliding Team Yay!"

=====

"I swear to god Molly, I was really hoping that Hang Gliding was a codeword," grumbled Megan as she waited for the doctor to finish with the cast making. "You're lucky it's a minor break and not a huge one!"

"We had it under control. Apple Bloom's got it worse; she's gotta deal with AJ." Looking over at Apple Bloom being coddled by Applejack, Megan had to admit Applejack did not look very happy at her little sister at all and Big Mac was being quiet as usual, offering a "nope" or "yep" occasionally.

As the door banged open, two more girls ran in neck and neck. "Sweetie Belle!" Exclaimed Rarity at the same time Rainbow Dash said, "Squirt, you okay?"

"I'm fine," grumbled Sweetie Belle. "It's a minor sprain, honest!"

"You should have seen it Rainbow Dash, the wind took quick and then we were into the air for a half a minute!" Exclaimed Scootaloo eagerly. "It was SO COOL!"

"Ah woulda thought you condoned that kinda action, Rainbow Dash," said Applejack to which Rainbow Dash gave the blonde a glare. "What, no witty remark?"

"This was clearly your sisters fault, we have nothing to say, right Squirt?" said Rainbow Dash in an increasing bout of anger. The pair glared at one another before turning away in a huff.

Megan leaned over to Rarity and whispered, "What happened to these two? They were friends two weeks ago!"

"I'm not too sure of the situation darling, but those two have barely spoken to one another. This is the only time they were in any proximity and we hear that. Dreadful." Rarity sighed. "Did you call a cab for yourself and Molly, Megan?"

"Shining Armor is picking us up. He's on patrol but he's on mom and dad's To Call list whenever something like this happens." said Megan.

"One of these days darling you will have to tell me how you managed to get the Police Commissioners Son on speed dial." Rarity grinned for a moment before coughing delicately into her hand.

The flashing of police lights outside for a brief moment made Megan look up. "Speak of the devil, and he appears. That's our ride. C'mon Molly."

Supporting her sister to the door, Shining Armor stood there in his work blues as he held open the door for the pair. "I thought you broke your leg, not your arm," he said to Molly.

"Oh no, it was Apple Bloom who hurt her leg, but I'm fine, really." said Molly. "Hey Shiny."

"Hey yourself. Hey Megan." Closing the door after the two got in, Shining got in and pulled out of the driveway. "All right, Williams homestead in ten. Traffic's light tonight."

"Can't you use the siren?" asked Molly hopefully and Shining laughed. "Shiny c'mon..."

"Sorry, I gotta keep to the rules tonight. I'm already taking an early break tonight driving you two home." He grinned at the pair. "Besides, there's only a few backseat police car rides I'm allowed to give out all the time."

"Liar," said Molly. "So, did you figure out what you were doing for your report, Megan?"

"Yeah, Pinkie and I just need a copy of this book," said Megan, fishing out The Last Unicorn.

"What the last Unicorn? You have that already at home," said Molly.

"No, I mean there's stuff written in this copy that we can make our report on. Someone wrote a whole fantasy novel in cliff notes in the margins." Megan leaned over to Shining and asked, "You took Mrs. Harshwhinny's class right Shiny? You know what she'll accept?"

"Well it's a stretch, but perhaps you can. Bring it up to her. I had to do mine on Black Beauty," said Shining as he turned into the cul de sac that housed the William's house. "Last stop, everyone out!"

=====

That night, Megan continued to read long into the night. As she continued to page through the papers, one note caught her eye. "Equestria supports on many legends, some of them false, some of them unproven. My mentor told me about many of them, including a legendary rainbow of light which penetrates the darkness."

Megan leaned back in her chair, glancing at the time. 1:32. Plenty of time for her to get to bed before class at 9 tomorrow. "A rainbow of light. Sounds silly. But it is a fantasy story after all."

Leaning over, she traced the image of a winged unicorn that was scribbled on the edge of a page. "A winged unicorn... unicorn... that doesn't seem right."

Booting up her computer and hoping her laptop's stupidly loud start up noise wouldn't wake the house, she started typing in descriptions until she came on the definition. "Thank you Wikipedia," she said, tapping it.

"Winged unicorn. Look up alicorn, pegacorn, unisus or unipeg in Wikipedia." Following the link she read out out. "A winged unicorn is a fictional horse with wings and the horn of a unicorn. There is no specific name given to such creature, but it is sometimes referred to using a portmanteau of pegasus and unicorn: pegacorn. In some literature and media, it is also referred to as an alicorn, which is a historical word for the horn of a unicorn."

Leaning back in her chair, Megan tapped her pencil to her lip. "So pegacorn or alicorn... I kind of like alicorn. So what to call you, story?"

=====

Mrs. Harshwhinny lowered the documents and set them on her desk as she folded her hands in thought. "Diary of an Alicorn?"

"That's right," said Megan nervously. The often severe Mrs. Harshwhinny was a stern teacher, no nonsense, and yet there was hope. "We found it scribbled in a copy of The Last Unicorn, and Danny scanned it and made copies for us."

"Could we please do a report on it?" asked Pinkie Pie. "Please, please, please?"

"It is certainly most unorthodox," said Mrs. Harshwhinny getting up to look out her window. "Normally it would be easy to dismiss this as someone's fanciful writings... but... given the fact that you two seem determined to make a joint report on it, and the fact that time is running short, you have my permission."

The pair shared matching grins for a moment, before Mrs. Harshwhinny added, "However! I expect a full report on my desk. Even if this is a story written by someone years ago, I would not expect any slacking off. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes ma'am," the pair chorused.

"That will be all then. And do me a favor and leave this copy to me. I will see to it that it is accepted into the curriculum." said Mrs. Harshwhinny. "Now go on."

As they left the office, Pinkie grinned at Megan. "See? That wasn't so hard! We've totally got this."

"Yeah, I guess you're right! There's nothing to worry about this at all." said Megan in relief. "Lets hope the research doesn't take long at all."

=====

"Diary of a Alicorn?" Celestia looked over the documents, a stress knot forming immediately as she looked over at Mrs. Harshwhinny.

"I thought it prudent to let you know," said the other instructor, tilting her head at the bust of a winged horse in her office. "This might be connected to our problem child."

"I expected as much. To think she left such sensitive information out where anypony could find it," said Celestia thoughtfully.

"Anybody," corrected Harshwhinny. "You slipped again, Celestia."

"Pronouns," said Celestia in an almost dismissive manner. "However, this cannot be denied that the Day is coming up soon. Has Sunset made any indication of moving through the portal?"

"Yes. Discord is monitoring her as in his wont. Are you certain you should have let this go on for as long as possible? You know the strain of having to run a school, when a girl with vengeance on her mind is doing her best to tear it all down."

"I know." Celestia looked tired, almost weary at that. "Communication with the other world, ever since Sunset Shimmer arrived here is spotty. And I cannot say for certain if it will hold up. And yet we can only hope the pieces are in place this time to prevent any tragedies from occurring. Thank you for bring this up to my attention Mrs. Harshwhinny, I will inform Luna of this."

As Mrs. Harshwhinny left, Celestia collapsed into her chair. It used to be so easy, running this school before the other world touched hers. So much easier.

Author's Note:

Just a little something put together set in the Equestria Girls Universe. Figured I'd get it off my chest. More parts coming soon.

EDIT: Find-Replaced all of the uses of "Derpy" with "Muffins" for official naming sake. 5/10/2015