• Published 21st Apr 2015
  • 660 Views, 3 Comments

My Little Pokémon: Badges Are Magic - Robolestia



Fluttershy begins her Pokémon adventure.

  • ...
0
 3
 660

2 - Championship Dreams

"That is the craziest thing I have ever heard, no offense," Rarity said, stunned, as she took a sip of her tea. "Who knew that Bidoof could mega-evolve? He's not even the final evolution in his line," Rarity added.

Fluttershy shrugged. "Poison joke can do strange things," she reminded.

"Hm," Rarity nodded. "True enough, I suppose, but I doubt anypony has seen this sort of effect."

"It is pretty funny from a certain point of view," Fluttershy reasoned.

"Except when he was going to hurt my sister," Rarity clarified.

"Of course," Fluttershy said.

"Could I see the Bidoof?" Rarity asked.

"Sure," Fluttershy said, dipping under the table to reach for her bag, and placing the ball on the table. Rarity's eyes went wide and she leaned forward, jaw open.

"What an exquisite pokéball," Rarity said, turning it gently around with her magic. "It is absolutely fabulous – where did you get this?"

"It's, um," Fluttershy bit her lip. "It's the same one you gave me a few years ago."

"Eh?" Rarity raised an eyebrow, and looked at the shiny Bunnelby outside, who was animatedly arguing with the three-headed Dodrio and pointing at each of its heads. "Didn't you use it to catch Angel?"

"I, um, couldn't bear to do it," Fluttershy admitted.

Rarity pursed her lips. "I really don't see the problem, it's not like he has to live in the pokéball all the time. It'll just stop a poacher stealing him, is all..."

"I still don't feel comfortable catching pokémon," Fluttershy said.

Rarity sighed, and waved her hoof around in a rolling motion. "Okay, Fluttershy. One of these days..." she cleared her throat. "Anyway, I suppose in retrospect it's not a surprise the ball is this fabulous – I did pick it, after all. Let's see what the fuss was about..."

Rarity toggled the switch on the front of the ball, and it split open, unleashing a torrent of red light that splashed onto the ground and formed into a Bidoof, who looked up at them in a manner not dissimilar to any other Bidoof. Perfectly ordinary.

"Hmm, that's it?" Rarity asked, gesturing at the Bidoof, looking at Fluttershy before examining the pokémon closer. "Looks normal to me." Rarity turned the Bidoof around. "Hmm, yes, not to belittle your fight, dear, but this is a rather ordinary looking Bidoof. Even for a Bidoof, it's potential seems to be distinctly below average overall."

"Who you calling 'below average', you makeup-slathered tramp?" the Bidoof asked, turning around angrily and glaring at Rarity, who turned purple at the insult.

"Excuse you," Rarity said, "Mind your manners!"

"What is this shit?" The Bidoof sat up and gestured at Rarity, looking to Fluttershy for guidance. "Toots, what is this? Why are you presenting me to this whore?"

"Well, he certainly talks," Rarity said, a heavy edge of offense in her tone as she pulled her own bag from across the room, removing a small wallet, which she flipped open and all but shoved in the pokémon's face. "Perhaps he can recognize my badges?"

Bidoof backed up from the wallet a little, and nodded grudgingly. "Yeah, I see those shiny bits o' metal. Don't mean shit to me."

"Why you-" Rarity composed herself quickly. "These are official Equestrian Pokémon League badges, and you will respect my mastery of pokémon!"

"Yeah, and you ain't my trainer," Bidoof countered. "She is, and she don't have diddly."

Rarity opened her mouth and closed it numbly. She sat back down and folded her wallet closed again, nodding.

"Hmm, the foul mouthed Bidoof has a point," she admitted. "You don't have any badges, Fluttershy."

"Exactly," Bidoof said, turning around and running for the door. "So screw you whores, I'm outta here."

"No, you aren't," Rarity said, picking up the Luxury Ball and tagging Bidoof with a beam of red light, which sucked him up and back into the pokéball.

"Oh, come on," Fluttershy said. "That's cruel, can't we just let him go?"

"Let a pokémon like that go?" Rarity asked. "He's an utter monster, he's too dangerous to be let loose!"

"He's only angry because he lives in the ball," Fluttershy argued.

"He was angry before he got in the ball, by all accounts," Rarity pointed out. "All you need is a pokémon league badge or two and you can work on reforming him or something, then let him go."

"Oh, I don't know," Fluttershy said nervously. "That would be... I mean... I'd have to challenge at least two pokémon gyms, wouldn't I?"

"Well, yeah," Rarity agreed. "You're no pushover when it comes to pokémon battles, darling, take it from me – you just need some strong friends to help you. What about when Gogoat helped you battle Nightmare Moon? Hm?"

"That- that was different," Fluttershy countered. "We were fighting to save the world."

"So?" Rarity shrugged. "Now you're fighting for smaller stakes, to save yourself some trips and these pokémon you look after," Rarity explained, gesturing out the window at the field of wild pokémon outside.

All sorts of sizes and types, Fluttershy's cottage was home to a great deal of stray pokémon who had been driven from their homes or released for trivial reasons; unable to acclimatize to the wild again, they had returned here, where they had equine companionship from Fluttershy to keep them content until somepony who wanted them found them.

"I don't really..."

"Seriously," Rarity said, leaning forward. "If you had some more badges, you'd have better access to medicines at the Pokémon Centre that you won't have to practically force-feed to sick pokémon." Rarity sat back. "And on that note, why do you insist on going all the way out to Zecora's yourself? You do know that there's plenty of fillies and colts capable of making the trip with nothing better to do than fight amongst themselves, right?"

"Okay, okay," Fluttershy said. "I'll think about it, okay?"

"There's my girl," Rarity said, patting Fluttershy on the hoof. "Anyway, thank you for looking out for my sister and her friends."

"It's no trouble at all, honestly," Fluttershy reassured.

"I should probably get the girls home," Rarity said, looking at the clock. "I'm sure their parents will want to talk to them, I know mine will. Thank you for the tea."

"No, no, it's no trouble," Fluttershy said. "Thank you for coming and having that talk with me, I think I needed it."

The back-and-forth went on for a few minutes as Rarity continued to give thanks for things and Fluttershy attempted to find something to thank Rarity back for, too shy to just accept the thanks in the first place, in a strange game of gratitude hot potato. But all games, no matter how strange, end eventually, and Fluttershy found herself alone in her house as the sun began to set.

Angel bounded through the door, a small flap swinging shut in his wake, and he jumped up on the dinner table, gesturing to Fluttershy.

The yellow pegasus shook her head gently. "Angel, I appreciate the concern, but I don't think becoming a proper pokémon trainer is right for me."

Angel rolled his eyes, and picked up Bidoof's pokéball. Fluttershy held out a hoof gently.

"Angel, dear, please don't break that, mummy needs it to keep-"

Angel pushed the release button, and in a flash of red light, Bidoof jumped out again, shaking his head.

"Oy vey," Bidoof grunted. "Hate that feeling."

Angel hopped forward, and chittered at Bidoof, who looked up in mild surprise and with clear disgust.

"And why should I translate for you?" Bidoof asked levelly.

Angel held up a clenched paw, and shook it vigorously. Bidoof blanched, and looked at Fluttershy.

"You wouldn't dare," he said quickly. "Toots, is this guy serious?"

"Angel is, um, special," Fluttershy said. "He's waiting for a family that is a little more accommodating of his... willpower?"

"So basically, he's a trouble pokémon because he beats stuff up if he doesn't get his way, okay, I get it," Bidoof said, rolling his eyes. "Alright, Toots. Listen good, I'll only repeat what he says once, no matter what he threatens to do with a Pinap Berry. Ahem."

Angel nodded, and began to semaphore again, chittering to Bidoof. Bidoof nodded and looked at Fluttershy.

"What this little prick is saying is that if you had a few pokémon badges, then the strays would have to listen to you a little more, maybe take your advice to heart. There might be less in-fighting, and ponies might be more eager to pick up strays from a trainer with a few badges."

"That's, uh," Fluttershy bit her lip. "That's a good point, but... I don't want to go out and force pokémon to fight for me."

Angel semaphored again, and Bidoof sighed.

"If you asked some of the guys outside," Bidoof relayed, "I'm sure they would gladly fight for you. God, that is some cheesy shit."

"No," Fluttershy said firmly. "EqPL rules say my pokémon need to be registered to me, either by trade or capture." Fluttershy gestured out the window. "They all have trainers they're waiting for. Sometimes the record of their trainer is all they have left. I can't take that away from them, even if it means we get badges."

Angel shrugged. Bidoof mimicked him. "In that case," Bidoof said, "You're going to have to go out and capture a team."

"I know," Fluttershy said. "And that's partially why I don't want to become a trainer."

Bidoof looked at Fluttershy, eyes narrowed. "There's more to this than you're letting on, isn't there, toots?"

"Don't be ridiculous," Fluttershy said, suddenly closing up. "I'm just afraid, is all."

"Uh huh," Bidoof said. "Whatever." Angel waved his arms and chittered, and Bidoof sighed. "The twat says you should start by going to Town Hall tomorrow morning, registering as a new trainer, and picking up a starter pokémon so you have at least one member of your team who isn't total garb- hey!"

"Now, Angel," Fluttershy said sternly. "That is not nice, apologize to Bidoof."

Angel sniggered and chittered at Bidoof, who raised a paw and showed him the back of a middle digit.

"Same to you, asshole."

"Well, he has a point," Fluttershy said, picking up Bidoof's ball. "I do need to register as a trainer anyway..." Fluttershy looked at Bidoof. "Would you like to go back in?"

"Hell no," Bidoof said. "I wanna go home to the forest, missin' out on some serious poon-tang, y'know whadda mean."

Fluttershy rolled her eyes. "I can't let you do that, you're registered to me, if the Pokémon Patrol caught you, I'd get fined."

"Then I won't get caught, c'mon," Bidoof put on a cutsey face. "Whaddya say, toots?"

"I say compromise," Fluttershy said, walking over to the kitchen. "What do you want to eat?"

"Aw, come on," Bidoof cursed. "You want me outta your pink hair, I wanna go home before I go soft."

"I have Persim and Pecha pokéblocks."

"Aw snap," Bidoof perked up. "You got Pecha? Gimme some o' dat."

"There you go," Fluttershy said, as she poured a generous helping of pokéblocks into a dish for Bidoof, and placed his ball next to it. "Return to the ball when you're ready, okay? I'll see you tomorrow morning."

"Yeah, seeya," Bidoof mumbled through a mouthful of pokéblocks. "Oh shit, this is the good stuff. Oh yeah."

Fluttershy smiled and walked away, Angel riding on her back and rolling his eyes at Bidoof as they went.

* * *

Day broke over Ponyville, and the country air was filled with the trills of various flying-type pokémon as the town woke up and got to work.

Colts and fillies old enough to be trainers ran through the streets, pokéballs bouncing around their necks on carrying straps, sometimes with their pokémon starter running alongside them as they played with others of their age. Older ponies went about their work, their pokémon helping them with the day to day labours.

Fluttershy walked past them all, trying not to make eye contact with any of them; with the official capture of her first pokémon, she was now officially a pokémon trainer and available to be challenged by anypony; meet the eyes of the wrong pony, and she might find herself in a fight.

Town Hall stood in the middle of Ponyville – in times since past, it had just been that, a town hall. But with the rise of pokémon training in Equestria, Town Hall had become the first destination for many fillies and colts looking to start an adventure and aim for the stars.

Fluttershy stepped through the doors, and into a very upscale interior; tiled floors, aesthetically pleasing minimalist architecture and furniture and advanced screens displaying pokémon news and advertisements. No matter where you were, every Pokémon Centre was the same, providing free pokémon medical care and selling pokémon paraphernalia to anypony with a pokémon license.

Fluttershy nodded to Nurse Tenderheart, who was standing behind the main desk, but did not approach – her destination was not the main desk, but a set of double-doors in the back of the Centre that lead to the registration centre. This was a much quieter room, filled with only a kiosk and a wall of pamphlets and other informational materials.

Fluttershy stepped up to the kiosk, and heard a small camera in the middle of it come to life, adjusting itself with a whirr.

"Hello there!" a recorded voice greeted warmly. The screen in front of Fluttershy came to life, revealing Princess Celestia standing there against a blank backdrop. "I am Princess Celestia," Celestia said, "And I will be your guide on your first steps into the world of pokémon!"

Fluttershy bobbed her head to the left and right anxiously. She already knew this, having met Celestia a few years prior. And from, well, leaving her registration a little late.

"First," Celestia said, "I need to ask a few questions. What is your name?"

"Fluttershy," Fluttershy said. The kiosk took a moment to think about it, and blinked a green light.

"So your name is DOUCHEBAG," Celestia asked, without a trace of irony. "Is that correct?"

Fluttershy made alarmed noises, and shook her head. "No, it's Fluttershy."

"So your name is FLUTTERSHY," Celestia repeated, without breaking stride. "Is that correct?"

Fluttershy nodded. "Yes."

"Excellent!" Celestia nodded. "I sense that you already have a pokémon! Please place any pokémon you may have already caught into the tray so that we can link them to your Trainer ID!"

Fluttershy took Bidoof out of her bag, and placed his pokéball on a tray that was sliding out of the Kiosk, in a convenient depression. The tray waited a moment, and glowed, causing green lights and lines to flash over the surface of the luxury ball as it was registered.

"One Bidoof," Celestia said. "Is that all?"

"Yes," Fluttershy said.

"Fantastic!" Celestia said. "You can now take your pokémon back. Please stand still for the camera so we can take the picture that will be on your ID!"

Fluttershy stood stock still, and tried not to hide behind her mane as she waited for the camera to click before reaching out and taking Bidoof back, letting the tray return to the Kiosk. The tray had barely vanished before a new, smaller tray came out again, this time bearing a small rectangle of plastic, still warm from the machinery inside the kiosk. On it, next to a picture of Fluttershy (performing a pose that Photo Finish had referred to as "the deer in headlights") were two large words: Pokémon Trainer.

Beneath that, additional personal details like date of registration and town of origin were listed, and eight blank squares intended to be marked in future.

Bidoof's pokéball quivered, and popped open with a flash, releasing Bidoof onto the ground. The plump mouse pokémon looked around, and up at the card that Fluttershy was now signing, whistling impressively.

"That's it, eh, toots?" He said. "One little bit of plastic and you're officially my boss."

"One more thing, FLUTTERSHY," Celestia said brightly. "Before you go, I would like you to choose a starter pokémon to help you begin your pokémon journey!"

"Oh, here we go," Bidoof said. "My meal ticket outta here. Once you got this guy, I am gone."

The image of Celestia faded, replaced by three icons, a flame, a water droplet and a leaf, and silhouettes in front of each symbol.

"Will you take: Cyndaquil, the fire type?" The pokémon in front of the fire icon was revealed, a cute-looking fire hedgehog that tensed its body eagerly, causing flames to flare out from its back. "Totodile, the water type?" Celestia went on, as the water type was revealed, an eager-looking blue crocodile, "or Chikorita, the grass type?" Celestia finished, as a stumpy looking bean of a pokémon was revealed in front of the leaf symbol, swirling the leaf around on its head eagerly.

"Oh gosh," Fluttershy said. "I don't know, they all seem so nice..."

"Cyndaquil looks cute now," Bidoof said, "But just wait until he's proper evolved. Hoo. Mean looking bastard."

Fluttershy looked at Bidoof, worried. "Um. What about Totodile?"

"Feraligatrs are easy twice as mean and half as subtle," Bidoof assessed. "They bite on, they don't let go."

"What about... Chikorita?" Fluttershy asked.

"Turn into some giant plant motherfucker," Bidoof said. "Pretty chill, all the ones I ever met just want to blaze it."

"I think," Fluttershy said, turning back to the kiosk, "I will choose Chikorita."

"Excellent choice!" Celestia said. "Chikorita will be an excellent partner. Is this your choice?"

"Yes," Fluttershy said, nodding.

"Alright," Celestia said. "We're preparing your starter now. Please also take and enjoy a complimentary gift of five pokéballs, so you can get started and make some more friends as soon as you like!"

The kiosk whirred, and the pokéball tray returned; this time, it had one pokéball with a green leaf symbol stencilled on the lid, and five unmarked pokéballs around it. Fluttershy touched the pokéball, and it burst open.

With a gentle tap of feet on the tiled floor, Chikorita stood there, looking up at Fluttershy before chirruping eagerly.

"Would you like to name the male Chikorita you just received?" Celestia asked.

Fluttershy looked at Bidoof. "What would Chikorita like to be called?"

Chikorita chirruped at Bidoof and he grinned. "I like his style," Bidoof remarked. "He wants to be called "Killfuck Soulshitter". Or "Chico", if you feel you must," he added.

"That's, um," Fluttershy grimaced. "That's a bit... a bit long. I think we'll stick with "Chico"."

"He says that's trite as hell, but whatever, at least you picked one of his preferred names."

"Very good!" Celestia said, smiling. "FLUTTERSHY, a world of adventure awaits! I look forward to seeing you at the Pokémon League one day! Good luck!"

The kiosk began to play triumphant music, and the screen faded to black. Fluttershy took all the pokéballs, and added them to her saddlebags before stepping out of the room and back into the Pokémon Centre at large, pokémon at her side and looking around in wonder.

"Daaaamn," Bidoof said, looking around in astonishment. "Never been inside one of these before, swanky."

Chico agreed with the sentiment, nodding as he swirled his leaf around and adjusted it rakishly.

"Fluttershy, darling!" Rarity called out. Fluttershy looked up to see the fashionista trotting towards her, a smile plastered across her face.

"Rarity," Fluttershy said by way of greeting. "How are you?"

"I am absolutely fabulous, as usual," Rarity said, "And I see you've gotten an early start on the day. Picked Chikorita, as I guessed you would..." Rarity pursed her lips when she looked at Bidoof. "… and you've let him out of his ball. Charming."

"Bitch, I do what I want," Bidoof countered. "And the moment we step outside, I am getting released."

Rarity shook her head. "Fluttershy, I implore you to try and hold onto Bidoof, teach him some manners?"

Bidoof stood up on his hind legs, which were spread wide. "And I implore you to try and hold onto these nuts," Bidoof taunted, gesturing to his groin.

Rarity gritted her teeth. "Fluttershy, I am so sorry, but I think if I put up with this any longer, I will have to challenge you to a battle just so I can have Elusive teach this Bidoof some manners, and it would not be a fair fight." Rarity patted Fluttershy on the shoulder. "You have your HoloCaster on you, right?

"Of course," Fluttershy said.

"Oh good," Rarity said. "If you ever need some tips, don't hesitate to give me a call. My door is always open to you, metaphorically speaking."

"Well, if you don't mind, I'd like some advice now," Fluttershy said.

"Sure, shoot," Rarity said brightly.

"What gym should I challenge first?" Fluttershy asked.

"Tough question," Rarity said, blowing air out of her mouth as she thought. "Well, at this point, you really only have two choices – Ponyville Gym, or Manehattan Gym. They're the lowest-levelled gyms around." Rarity rolled a hoof. "Problem is, it'd be harder to challenge Ponyville Gym, since the only decent place to get any practice in is the Everfree forest, the castle of the pony sisters, and right now..." Rarity looked at the two pokémon at Fluttershy's sides. "You're not ready, you need a gentler gradient."

Rarity led Fluttershy and her pokémon over to a map of Equestria on the wall, and pointed at one of the orange lines that ran along the foot of Foal Mountain and up to the North-East, where Manehattan sat.

"This, Route 109," she said. "It's a nice, long road, plenty of opportunity to get some practice in, train up. Maybe add some more pokémon to your team. By the time you get to Manehattan, you should be all set to tackle the gym."

"That sounds good," Fluttershy said, nodding.

"Oh, I have a good idea, actually," Rarity said, smiling. "While you're out there, could you deliver something for me?"

"Sure, I'd be glad to," Fluttershy said, nodding.

"I'll just go get it ready," Rarity said, reaching into her pocket and fishing out a hoofful of bits. "Here, take these, buy yourself some supplies for the journey – the hardest leg is from Ponyville outskirts, through the Foal Mountain foothills, to Hollow Shades."

Fluttershy nodded. "Okay."

"And if they have something here you need but they won't let you have, tell them I sent you," Rarity said. "That should get you a decent selection."

"Thank you, Rarity," Fluttershy nodded. "Really."

"Think nothing of it," Rarity said. "It is my pleasure, and I would be remiss if I did not, especially after yesterday." Rarity indicated the door. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go. Package to pack."

"Right, of course," Fluttershy said, nodding.

"See you in ten minutes, darling!" Rarity said, slipping through the sliding glass doors and running off into Ponyville. Fluttershy nodded and looked at the main desk of the Pokémon Centre, which she approached.

"Hi Fluttershy," Nurse Tenderheart said, smiling warmly. "Finally did it, huh?"

"Yeah," Fluttershy blushed and smiled, digging at the tile floor reflexively. "Could I get a check-up on my pokémon? I want to make sure they're in good shape."

"Of course. If you return them to their balls, I can put them through the machine," Tenderheart said.

Fluttershy nodded, and before Bidoof could comment, she zapped her pokémon with the pokéballs, returning them to their respective balls, and passed them to the nurse, who put them in the tray and started the machine.

"It's so good to see you finally get out there," Tenderheart remarked. "You've got a talent for it, you know, and I personally felt that it was a bit of a pity you spent it all looking after strays."

"They don't have anypony else," Fluttershy countered. "Too wild for town, too trained for the wilderness."

"Didn't say it was a bad thing," Tenderheart said. "You do good work, and help everyone. But a talent like you... anypony can look after pokémon," Tenderheart said, gesturing to herself. "But not everypony has what it takes to be a proper trainer, you know?"

"Mmm," Fluttershy nodded, as the machine dinged, and the tray was returned.

"Here you are," Tenderheart said. "No problems at all, they're in tip-top shape!" Tenderheart bowed. "Here's hoping you don't need to make too many visits to a Pokémon Centre, if that doesn't sound rude."

Fluttershy giggled. "I'll try not to need it."

"That's the spirit," Tenderheart said. "Hey, I was overhearing your chat with Rarity – taking a trip out to Hollow Shades?"

"And then to Manehattan," Fluttershy said.

"Oh, swell," Tenderheart said. "Say hi to my cousins for me, would you? Nurse Softheart in Hollow Shades and Nurse Heartthrob in Manehattan?"

"Sure," Fluttershy said. "I'll do that. Are there any items you recommend I get for the journey?"

"Naturally," Tenderheart said. "Definitely get some antidote and paralyze heal, your pokémon will love you for it. A spare burn heal, just in case... plenty of potions..."

Fluttershy watched as Tenderheart placed more items on the counter, talking about the merits of each, and eventually there was a small pile of items that Tenderheart judged to be essential for any trainer starting out.

"I'll take the lot," Fluttershy said, passing Tenderheart a sum of money. Tenderheart took it, and started putting the money away in the cash register, as Fluttershy began to pack her bag.

"All set?" Tenderheart asked, as Fluttershy put her distinctly heavier bags on.

"All set," Fluttershy agreed.

"Alright, good luck," Tenderheart nodded. Fluttershy nodded back, and turned around, heading for the main doors. She stepped outside into the open sun, and took a deep breath. Fluttershy couldn't place it, but she felt so good for some reason.

Her ears twitched, and she heard an animated voice bragging to an unseen listener. It drew nearer, and she saw the source when the speaker finally walked around the side of Town Hall, and into view.

Two small fillies, Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara. If memory served, Diamond Tiara was Filthy Rich's daughter. Some added "spoilt rotten" as an adjective before "daughter", but Fluttershy preferred "doted on".

"Daddy brought me this pokémon," Diamond Tiara bragged, holding up a pokéball that looked not unlike Bidoof's luxury ball. "Apparently it's supposed to be ultra-rare."

"Oh wow, DT," Silver Spoon gushed. "That is just the best. Can I see it?"

"Well, I suppose you could," Diamond Tiara admitted, smiling smugly. "Hey, what's she doing?"

Fluttershy realized she was being rude when she realized that Diamond Tiara was talking about her. She'd been staring. Fluttershy shook her head and looked away.

"I'm sorry," she called out, "That was rude of me, I shouldn't have been staring."

"Hey, I have an idea," Diamond said as an aside to Silver Spoon, sneering at Fluttershy. "Hey, you. I challenge you to a pokémon battle!"

"Oh, this is so cool," Silver praised.

"Oh, I don't know," Fluttershy said quietly. "I don't really w-"

"You can't say no," Diamond said haughtily. "You're an official Pokémon Trainer and so are we," – The two fillies flashed their own trainer cards – "So you have to accept."

"I, um," Fluttershy sagged. "Okay."

"It's a double battle!" Diamond shouted gleefully. "Come on, Silver! Back me up!"

"Oh, right!" Silver Spoon fumbled her own pokéball, a more ordinary white and red, out of her mane, and onto the ground, where it split open to reveal a taller pokémon. Standing on two hind legs, and with huge eyes, it was a Patrat.

Fluttershy bit her lip, and held out her own pokéballs. "Oh, um, go, Chico. If you want. And Bidoof."

The two pokémon jumped out of their pokéballs, and landed on the ground. Bidoof flexed, standing on his hind legs and throwing his forearms back and forth energetically.

"Aw yeah, feelin' good. Almost makes me wanna- wait," Bidoof looked around. "This is a battle! You can't release me during a battle!"

"I know, I'm sorry," Fluttershy apologized. "I got challenged first."

"This is such bullshit," Bidoof said.

"That Bidoof is talking," Diamond Tiara observed.

"No shit," Bidoof responded. "Nobody asked your opinion, shortstack."

Diamond Tiara gasped in shock, but then regained her composure and sneered. "You're lucky, you know," she said to Fluttershy. "You get to see this ultra-rare pokémon first. Go, Tyranitar!"

"Tyranitar?!" Bidoof exclaimed, astonished. "Where in hell did this little shit find a T-Tar?"

Diamond Tiara's luxury ball sailed into the air, and burst open, revealing a shape that was a bit smaller than everypony expected. It landed on the ground triumphantly, and there was a silence between everyone.

"That's a Tyranitar?" Silver Spoon asked first, breaking the silence.

"O-of course it is!" Diamond exclaimed. "Haven't you ever seen one?"

"I dunno," Bidoof observed. "Looks more to me like a Magikarp with "TYRANITER" written on his side in sharpie."

"S-shut up!" Diamond blurted out. "A-are we going to do this or what?"

"Um," Fluttershy nodded. "Chico, can you use tackle? And Bidoof, can you use tackle as well?"

"Tyranitar," Diamond Tiara said hesitantly. "Use, um... use ultra slam!"

"Patrat," Silver Spoon said, "Use quick attack!"

Silver Spoon's Patrat nodded, and darted forward, vanishing briefly before reappearing in front of Bidoof, and tackling him in the chest. Bidoof grunted in pain, winded, as he collapsed onto one knee, holding his gut with a forepaw as Patrat backed off, trying to avoid a tackle from Chico, and failing as Chico connected just as well, catching Patrat in the leg and sending him spinning back across the cobblestones.

"Agh," Bidoof grunted, staggering upright, and gasping. "You asshole, goddamn. Right in the solar plexus..." Bidoof stumbled forward, pointing at Patrat. "You're gonna get it, asshole, swear to Arceus," he vowed. Patrat tried to scrabble away, but Bidoof lunged out, and grabbed him by the leg, pulling his victim closer and mercilessly punching Patrat in the groin. Patrat let out a squeak of agony and curled up as Bidoof threw him back towards Silver Spoon, who was horrified and knelt down to help her pokémon.

"Patrat!" she exclaimed, holding her fainted pokémon. "Speak to me!"

"That'll teach him," Bidoof said, pointing at Patrat as he walked back towards Fluttershy and Chico. "What a cunt."

There was a wet slapping sound, and everyone looked at a furiously blushing Diamond Tiara and her "Tyranitar", who was using an "ultra slam" that looked an awful lot like a run-of-the-mill splash attack, achieving...

"Sweet fuck all," Bidoof assessed. "Why am I not surprised? Dumbass doesn't even know tackle, probably." There was silence for a bit, and Bidoof looked at Fluttershy. "Well, toots? Y' gonna give us orders, or are we enjoying the ambience here?"

"Oh," Fluttershy said, nodding. "Um, tackle, again? Both of you target Tyranitar?"

Chico and Bidoof walked towards the Magikarp floundering in a small puddle. They exchanged a look – it wasn't even of malice, more concern at such a one-sided fight.

"This doesn't feel right," Bidoof finally said, rolling his neck. "But I'm sure I'll get over it."

Fluttershy's two pokémon hit "Tyranitar" with moderate force; more akin to a firm rebuke than an actual attack, but it was enough, the Magikarp sensing a way out and performing a dramatic back flip to land on the ground – this time, completely still, and making "dead" sounds.

"I think that's the end," Fluttershy guessed, "Unless you have more pokémon."

Diamond Tiara gritted her teeth and shook her head, returning "Tyranitar" to his pokéball. She walked forward, and pulled out a wallet, grudgingly handing over a couple of bits to Fluttershy.

"Here, take it," she said. "Your prize money."

Fluttershy nodded. "Thank you. Good battle."

"Good battle..." Diamond muttered darkly. "Stupid Magikarp. I'm going to complain to daddy and tell him to get me a real Tyranitar..."

"Now, hold on a moment," Fluttershy said quickly. "Magikarp did his best."

"And he fucking sucked," sniggered Bidoof. Fluttershy glared at him, and he had enough time to grunt "aw man" before being returned to his ball.

"Magikarp did his best for you," Fluttershy repeated. "He's not a Tyranitar. He didn't ask to have "TYRANITER" written on his side. But he tried his best anyway to be like the Tyranitar you expected."

"But that Bidoof was right," Diamond said. "He sucked. He wasn't good enough."

"Yet," Fluttershy countered. "He just needs practice, trust me."

"How can he practice when all he can do is flop in a puddle?" Diamond asked. "That's lame."

"What if your friend helps you?" Fluttershy asked, pointing at Silver Spoon, who had stood up and was waiting for Diamond Tiara to finish, holding her own pokéball. "She's got a Patrat," Fluttershy went on. "If you two team up again, and try working together properly, Magikarp can get experience and grow. And you never know," Fluttershy added. "He might just surprise you."

Diamond Tiara nodded sullenly. "Yeah, alright, I'll think about it."

"Just don't throw him away, okay?" Fluttershy asked. "Magikarp loves you. Treat him well, and one day, he'll have the chance to show you how much that means to him."

Diamond nodded again, and gestured with her head at Town Hall. "Alright, come on, Silver. Let's go."

The pink filly walked past Fluttershy slowly, thinking over the elder mare's words as she stared at her pokéball. Silver Spoon walked past, and paused briefly next to Fluttershy.

"Thanks, Ma'am," she whispered. "One day, we'll have a rematch, I promise." before cantering to catch up with her friend. The two fillies vanished inside, and Fluttershy let out a sigh of relief, re-releasing Bidoof from the ball.

"Ugh, finally," Bidoof said, noticing no battle or any other event going on. "Freedom awaits. Well, let's have at it, then."

"Bidoof," Fluttershy said. "You don't have to leave. You can stay with me, you know."

Bidoof kicked at the ground and turned around. "No way, toots. I'm a free spirit and stuff. Got shit to do."

Chico chirruped at Bidoof and he blushed.

"Well, that's true," he admitted. "The food is pretty sweet, I suppose the digs are better than living in the forest, and I do like winning fights..." Bidoof turned around and grinned. "Ah, what the hell. You assholes would be lost without me, and we make an alright kinda team. I could hang around for a bit, I guess."

"Thank you, Bidoof," Fluttershy said. "It's good to have you on board."

"Alright," Bidoof nodded. "Now put me away before I come to my senses."

With two flashes of light, Fluttershy's pokémon returned to their balls and she clipped them to her belt.

"Fluttershy," Rarity called out. Fluttershy looked up to see Rarity cantering back towards her, with three orbiting Crusaders in tow.

"Oh, hi girls," Fluttershy said, smiling. "What's up?"

"We're going pokémon hunting with Rarity!" Sweetie Belle cheered.

"We are so gonna catch a Darkrai," Scootaloo added. "Got plenty of balls this time."

"Hey, we heard y'all gonna be a pokémon trainer now!" Applebloom exclaimed, pointing.

"Well, yes, I am," Fluttershy said, smiling.

"That's great!" Applebloom exclaimed. "Hey, Rarity said Ah should ask you – Applejack's bin away for ages now, workin' in Manehattan, and Ah gotta care package Ah wanna send to her, and that's where y' goin, so Ah guess..." Applebloom twisted a hoof on the ground and looked up at Fluttershy. "Couldya do me another solid and take it out to her? Pretty please?"

"It wouldn't be a problem," Fluttershy said.

"Here you go, then," Rarity said, floating two modest parcels over to Fluttershy. "One package for Applejack from me, and one from her family. It's cold up in Manehattan, and apparently Applejack didn't pack a scarf, so I made two for her, in case she wants to mix it up and not wear the same thing day after day." Rarity rolled her eyes. "Although I'm not holding out a lot of hope on that front."

"Got it," Fluttershy said, stowing the parcels away.

"At the risk of sounding like an eccentric Neighponese curio salespony," Rarity added, "One more thing – Route 109 can get a bit brisk, so I'm giving you these, too," she said, passing Fluttershy a small bundle of clothes and a hat. "Nothing fancy," she added. "Just a nice cap and a jacket."

Fluttershy put the cap on her head, and unfolded the jacket. It was a tracksuit jacket made of a thin, but insulating material, which made it light and easy to wear. The majority of it was a dark shade of pink, almost salmon, with white trim that formed subtle pokéball designs, and vertical stripes down the sleeves.

"It's lovely," Fluttershy said, putting it on.

"It keeps you cold when it's warm," Rarity said, "And helps you stay warm when it's cold. A wonderful little thing."

"I don't know how I can repay you," Fluttershy said. "This is too much, it really is."

"Nonsense," Rarity said. "I want to make sure you're well-equipped for this journey, and it would be rude to make you carry our parcels without some sort of reward. If it makes you feel better, that's how you're earning it."

"Okay," Fluttershy nodded. "I can do that."

"Fantastique," Rarity sang. "Alright, I really can't think of anything else to force on you now, so I guess I'd better take the Crusaders pokémon hunting. They want to go to the Castle of the Pony Sisters, can you believe it?"

"CUTIE MARK CRUSADER POKEMON RANGERS!" The crusaders cheered as one.

"Good luck," Fluttershy said, smiling.

"Yeah, we'll need it," Rarity said. "Same to you, good travels and all that."

And with that, Rarity moved away, the Crusaders resuming a high-speed orbit of the older pony as they moved towards the edge of town and the forest beyond. Fluttershy watched them go, smiled, and turned in the opposite direction, starting to walk.

Maybe pokémon training wouldn't be so bad after all...