• Published 19th Aug 2014
  • 347 Views, 1 Comments

Cutie Mark Crusaders Monster Hunters Yay!!! - Northern Flourish



An MLP and Monster Hunter crossover starring the CMC where Sweetie Belle decides to join her friends to help protect the village against outside threats. After starting, she makes a new friend that gets kidnapped by pirates.

  • ...
 1
 347

Ol' Spire

“Should we name him?”, Applebloom asked as everypony sat around the fire pit. Babs was roasting a large chunk of Aptonoth meat, making sure it cooked evenly.

“Whaddya mean?”, Babs asked. Applebloom pointed at the old Lagiacrus who was still sleeping on the rock spire.

“Him, that ol' wyvern. Ah mean, we see him everytime we come here, and he's certainly noticed us a couple o' times.”

“Yeah, I kind of feel like we've loosely bonded with that one”, Scootaloo stated, “I'd bet that he wouldn't hurt us if we climbed on his back. Not that we should.”

“How 'bout Ol' Spire?”, Applebloom asked, “You know, 'cause he's always lyin' on that spire.”

“That really isn't very creative, but I think it fits him”, Scootaloo agreed.

“I wonder how long he's lived”, Sweetie wondered out loud.

“I'd say he's definitely lived way longer than us. Just look at how big he is, Ol' Spire doesn't even fit on his own bed. Plus his scales are pretty dull, and the crystals on his back are pretty worn out. But judging by those scars, I'd definitely say that his life wasn't entirely boring. I bet he enjoys resting on the rock all the time, finally finding a place where he could take a break from the excitement of the wild. I'd like to live like that. A life of adventure and excitement, than to take a moment of peace before the end.”

“Don't speak like that, who knows when Ol' Spire's end will come”, Sweetie pointed out, “I don't think anypony has ever seen a wyvern just die of old age. They might be able to live forever.”

“Who'd want that?”, Scootaloo asked, “Living forever just means seeing everyone around you pass away, while you just continue to live.”

“But what if you had somepony to be immortal with you?” The girls pondered on that for a while as it started getting dark out. A Banabra flew into the camp and was just about to sting Sweetie when Scootaloo shoot it with her bowgun.

“I think we should head to the tent”, Scootaloo suggested. As the girls headed into the camp tent to protect themselves from other minor bugs.

“Aww, I wanna stay outside and watch Ol' Spire”, Sweetie mumbled.

“C'mon Sweeite”, Apple Bloom said to her, “I'm sure even a wyvern would think that sounds a little creepy, plus the forecast predicted Banabra migration from the north ta the south, and we're in the central part of the island. There's goin' ta be more bugs than we can handle.” Sweetie grumbled again and followed the girls back into the tent.

The lights were out, and the girls were sleeping on their mats. Scootaloo slept near the entrance in case anything decided to check out the inside of the tent. Sweetie Belle slept next to her while Babs and Applebloom slept next to each other on the other side of the tent. Sweetie's eyes fluttered open, and she felt a pressure down in the center of her waste.

She got up and nudged Scootaloo a bit.

“Psst! Scoots”, Sweetie whispered, to try avoid waking anypony else, “Hey Scootaloo!”

“Uggh”, Scootaloo groaned, “What is it?”

“I have to pee”, Sweetie told her quietly.

“Just go outside, there's no bathroom.”

“But what about all the Banabra?”, Sweetie asked. Scootaloo grumbled and got up.

“Yeah, I guess I should at least guard you.” The two mares walked outside. Sweetie Belle squatted in some bushes while Scootaloo turned her back and loaded her bowgun with pellet shots. “It's a good thing I decided to bring something other than normal shot.” A few Banabra came flying in. They weren't worth too much mentioning. They had triangular, red heads and an oval like thorax with two pairs of translucent wings that buzzed through the air. They pointed their stingers towards Scootaloo and tried dive bombing her, but she fired and completely mangled them.

“Weak little buggers”, Scootaloo grumbled.

“Scootaloo! Help!”, Sweetie exclaimed. Scootaloo turned and found a swarm of bugs aiming for the two mares. Scootaloo fired a couple more shots, but ran empty pretty quick.

“Dammit!”, Scootaloo cursed, “I knew I should've upgraded my clip before coming out here.” She tried her best to reload and dodge the bugs at the same time while Sweetie Belle struggled to slash at the ones near her. Since she was only using a sword and shield, there wasn't much range.

“Somepony help!”, Scootaloo shouted. Applebloom and Babs seemed to struggle getting out of the tent because they were tangled up in the blankets. One of the Banabra grazed Scootaloo's right shoulder where the armor wasn't as protective, making her whole arm go numb. “Agh!” Another one was gonna aim right for her head when an earth shaking roar knocked it off its course and making it difficult for all the other Banabra to fly. A few that descended got slashed into pieces by Sweetie and Scootaloo pulled one of her swords out to fend off against the dizzy bugs. It wasn't long before the ground started shaking again, but from actual tremors, then they stopped as Applebloom and Babs finally came out.

“Girls stop!”, Scootaloo whispered harshly, holding her hounds out, signaling everyone to stand still. She slowly reached into her pouch and pulled out a rock. She aimed away from the tent and chucked it as hard as she could. It cracked against a larger rock, breaking apart. After a little bit, the tremors came back and centered around the area where Scootaloo threw the stone. Two claws errupted from the ground, smashing the larger rock to pieces, as a giant, red, hermit-crab-like creature burst through the surface. Its claws dull and scratched from digging through the ground, it was bubbling at the mouth, and most of its back was covered by the skull of a diablos.

“Seriously!? A Daimyo Hermitaur! What in the name of Elder Dragons is it doing here? This is a terrible environment to live in for them. The water isn't even good for them. Its fresh water here, they live in saltwater!”

“Scoots! Get your priorities straight!”, Applebloom said, smacking her, “We need you ta fire some strength rounds at us. Mah sword's not sharp enough to penetrate its armor.”

“My right arms paralyzed, so I can't fire very well, you're just gonna have to aim for its face, or the underside of its armor.” The Hermitar started foaming at the mouth, about ready to fire a powerful stream of water at the girls, but was suddenly knocked over by a large Lagiacrus, causing it to missfire into the air.

“Ol' Spire!”, Babs shouted in happiness.

“Oh my Luna”, Scootaloo gasped in awe.

“He's saving us!”, Sweetie cheered, “Go Ol' Spire! Woo!” Ol' Spire grasped one of the Hermitaur's claws with his powerful jaw. Loud crunching noises sounded through the air as the armored claw was ripped off. Ol' Spire spit out the claw, then charged the Hermitaur into the side of a mountain. A cloud of dust rose as the two monsters brawled with each other.

Even with one claw gone, the overgrown crab still put up a fight. It snapped its claw at Ol' Spire's neck, and shot a powerful jet stream of water right at the old Lagiacrus's face. It howled in pain, and let off a powerful discharge of electricity, loosening the crab's grip. The Hermitaur turned to face the Diablos skull at its opponent, then charged, but, while Ol' Spire was older, he was still faster and quickly used his tail to smack the Hermitaur to the side, and its shell into the water. The monster tried to burry into the ground, but Ol' Spire wouldn't have it. He chomped down on the giant crab's back and pulled it right out before it had the chance to get away, and tossed it into the air. The Hermitaur came crashing down, connecting with the ground, making many loud crunching noises as its armor broke.

Ol' Spire walked over to the Daimyo Hermitaur, hitting it a couple of times with his tail to make sure it was dead, then sounded a triumphant roar to the sky, showing that he was still the king of this land.

The four mares couldn't do anything other than stand there and watch, amazed at the epic battle that just happened before them. Scootaloo even forgot that her arm was paralyzed and didn't notice that she had regained feeling in it.

“That... Was... Awesome!!!”, Scootaloo exclaimed. Ol' Spire turned his head towards the small group, as if remembering they were there, and everypony froze in place, not sure what he was gonna do next.

Ol' Spire calmed down and stared at the four mares. He lowered his head, making it easier for the girls to see the details on his face. It was easy to see the larger scars, even from afar, but with his face this close, you could see even more, smaller ones, but not a single bite mark. The closest thing was the new wounds he'd received from fighting the Hermitaur. The obvious large cuts on his neck, and a large bruise where its water jet hit.

He huffed a little, then sniffed the air around the girls, as if seeing if he could find anything familiar. When he turned his head a little, Sweetie saw that there was a scar over his left eyelid that was kept close, making him half blinded. She suddenly felt so much sorrow for all the pain that this poor creature might've been through, but also felt a lot of respect for him at the same time. She unknowingly walked up to the Lagiacrus, reaching a hand out to him. He turned his head towards her, but didn't make any threatening moves.

The other mares, who were frozen in fear, carefully reached for their weapons, just in case. They know they wanted to be friends with this wyvern, but they'd never had an experience this close to him.

Ol' Spire didn't do anything else, other than wait for Sweetie. When she got close enough, Sweetie Belle placed her hand on his snout, feeling the small scars there, and his dulled scales.

“He's... friendly”, Sweetie Belle said, “He's friendly... And I think he likes me!” She began to get a little more excited and went strait to hugging the large creature's snout. “Oh my gosh! This is so exciting!” The other girls calmed down and immediately became slightly more positive. Even Ol' Spire seemed to take in the happy atmosphere and nudged Sweetie.

“Holy zap apple jam, we've made friends with a wyvern”, Applebloom stated, scratching the back of her head, “Now that's pretty awesome.”

“Not a wyvern, he's a Leviathen!!”, Scootaloo pointed out. She walked up to Ol' Spire, completely stricken with awe, as she reached out to stroke his head. “This is the best thing ever.” Ol' Spire lie down by the water to get some rest from all the excitement that day. A couple Banabra flew near by, but didn't attack, knowing the greater threat. Instead, they just passed on by harmlessly. Instead of going in the tent, the girls went to sleep by Ol' Spire, feeling protected by his side.

Author's Note:

*yay* i made another chapter
sorry that this is longer to anyone who doesn't like longer chapters
hope you readers like it!