• Published 14th Apr 2012
  • 1,822 Views, 1 Comments

Flight of the Filly - EpicGuy



After a short flight together, Fluttershy and Spitfire long to explore Equestria with one another.

  • ...
2
 1
 1,822

Maiden Flight

It was a sunny day in the city of clouds, nothing to ruin the joyful day the ponies below Celestia’s sun were having. Pegasi adorned with coats of every color from the darkest of purples to the most bleached of whites flew past at differing speeds, some taking their time with slow wingbeats that held them aloft and others dashing past, leaving a trail of their fur color behind their wake.

Some of the pegasi were resting on clouds; doing anything from having a picnic with their lovers to taking a nap. These were mostly older ponies, but a stray teen or young foal was seen every once and a while. They usually were out of the air because they were trying to hide from their peers- it was a common sight around calm Cloudsdale.

One filly in particular was resting her wings instead of flapping them. She was a creamy yellow, not too bright so that many would notice her but also not too dark that she was of an orange-ish tint. Her mane, long and wispy, was a welcoming pink that was delightful to the eye. What made her interesting was that she was not on the cloud the rest of the pegasi were on, but a smaller one that drifted by its own. She dozed softly, her long eyelashes almost covering her entire face.
From below came another yellow filly, this one’s shade much more noticeable than the sleeping foal. Her mane looked like fire, as did her tail that fluttered in the breeze. Her eyes were active and happy as she landed softly onto the cloud where the other filly slept.

“Hey. Hey you.” She prodded the yellow foal with a soft hoof. “Whatcha doin’?”

The filly murmured something and smiled before turning in her sleep so that her back was facing the newcomer.
“Hey! I’m trying to talk to you!” The pegasus filly whined, jumping into the air again and landing where the other’s face was. “What’s your name? I’m Sunset Serenade, but my friends call me Spitfire.” She stuck out her tongue at her real name. “I don’t know what my mother was thinking when she named me. ‘Sunset Serenade?’ Really?” She groaned.
The other pegasus seemed to sing a few notes and burrow her face into her cloud.

Spitfire frowned and took to the sky again, this time getting very impatient. “I’m trying to talk to you, and you won’t even respond!” She let out an angry hiss. “You’re in the presence of the next Wonderbolts captain! That’s what mother says!” Her huge eyes narrowed in frustration.

“I know what will get you to talk!” Spitfire climbed the sky ladder until she was about three feet above the dozing filly, who didn’t budge. She grinned and folded her wings in and began a steep dive towards her.

Once her front hooves hit the cloud Spitfire tucked them into the folds of the other filly’s hooves so that she was dragging her off the cloud and into the air. Luckily she wasn’t that heavy, so Spitfire could easily carry both of them.

When she realized she wasn’t on her cloud any more the foal cried out sharply. “Wahhh! Put me down, you brute!” She squirmed like a beached fish and was close to falling out of her new companion’s grip.

Spitfire readjusted her hold so that there was no danger of either of them freefalling. She angled her wings upwards, their destination being above Cloudsdale. “I knew this would get you to talk! What’s your name?”

The filly squealed and made the mistake of looking down. Everything’s so far away, she thought, what if I fall?

She squeaked and buried her head in Spitfire’s soft neck fur. Spitfire blushed furiously, as feeling another filly, a pretty one at that, being so close to her was never something she had ever thought about experiencing. It felt so good.

In her excitement Spitfire accidentally began a downwards descent and came very close to crashing into one of the citadel of the pegasi’s cloud pillars. She flapped as hard as possible and was a hair shy of a collision as they shot upwards in a trail of fire.

“So what’s your name?” Spitfire finally asked again as they rode upwards once more.

The filly squirmed in her fur, noticing the warmth and comfort of her voice. “F-Fluttershy.” She murmured. Her voice was like the sweetest song the robins sang in the spring.

“Nice to meet you, Fluttershy.” Spitfire responded. She felt Fluttershy smile.

They were quite high over Cloudsdale now, and Spitfire began to move horizontally instead of vertically. She moved her neck ever so slightly, and that movement forced Fluttershy to look out into the air. The poor filly took one look and burrowed back into her fur, in which Spitfire almost gasped at the sensation but held her breath.

“Fluttershy, I want you to take a good look.”

"B-But it’s so…So far down…"

“I’m not going to drop you.”

Fluttershy lifted her head and looked at Spitfire with eyes that were as large as bird eggs and the color of the moss patches you could see in the Everfree Forest. “R-Really?” She squeaked.

Spitfire was taken aback by this. “I wouldn’t dream of it.” She promised with a smile.

Fluttershy gave a tentative smile and swallowed. She turned to face the sky with her eyes tightly shut. “Are you sure, S-Spitfire?”

“Eyup.”

Fluttershy opened her eyes and gasped aloud. She could see everything from up here- Cloudsdale, the Everfree Forest, Ponyville, and in the distance, Canterlot.

“It’s…” Fluttershy began. “Beautiful.”

Spitfire smiled. “What did I tell you?” She began to slowly go forward to give her passenger a better view of everything that you could see at this height.

Fluttershy’s voice cracked as she sighted the antique plains of Appleoosa and the bustling streets of Manehatten. “Look, Spitfire, you can even see all the ponies from up here!”

The pilot nodded.

She took a slow turn around the perimeter of the always-awake Las Pegasus and headed towards home. Fluttershy moved around at this and accidentally stuck her hoof into Spitfire’s chest. Surprisingly, it was as soft as a cloud and very gentle. “I’m so sorry!” Fluttershy pulled her hoof away and replaced it with her head. Spitfire noted her mane felt like a marshmallow. She began to move her head in circles, rubbing the area.

A wave of happiness- No, it’s much stronger than that, Spitfire thought- rushed over her. This filly was caring, sweet, and quite beautiful- Spitfire didn’t see many pegasi like her.

They arrived at Fluttershy’s cloud and Spitfire, with much difficulty, dropped her off. “Where do you live?” She asked.

Fluttershy’s eyes widened at the thought of doing that again. “I l-live by Town Circle…” She paused. “Spitfire, if it’s not any trouble, can we do that… Again?”

Spitfire felt her heart soar. “Absolutely. You know, Equestria is even better at night.”

The yellow filly gasped. “I’ll meet you at sunset!”

Spitfire opened her wings so that they caught the bright sunlight. “I’ll see you then, Fluttershy.” With her heart full of butterflies Spitfire took off and into the air, with Fluttershy’s careful eyes following her every wingbeat.