• Published 12th Apr 2012
  • 1,773 Views, 32 Comments

A Thousand Year Nightmare - Lux Rune



The story of Princess Luna's time on the moon.

  • ...
0
 32
 1,773

Prologue

I’m sick of this.

It’s not fair.

It’s just not right.

My creation is beautiful, the stars bright, and the moon full, but what do they do, they go into their houses and sleep, ignoring my work. But whenever the sun comes up they all stay outside and lavish in her light, and praise her. Why is she so special? Why is it her they love? Why can’t it be me?

They all ignore me, as if my crown means nothing. They all worship her, but what makes her so special? NOTHING, nothing makes her special, it’s just that stupid sun they love. If I had been the one to raise it instead of her, they’d love me.

It’s time for a change.

No more will they worship her. No more will they love her the way they do. No more will they run around in the sun. No more will they ignore my existence. No more will they sleep though my nights. I will change everything and take away that which they love most.

There will be no more sun.

Celestia walked in to my chamber, “Luna, the day is about to start, are you about ready to lower the moon?”

Oh, my dear sister, how I loathe the way they treat her. I turned to her, “Get out.”

“Luna, what do you mean?”

Right now, just the sight of her made me sick, “Oh, I’m sorry, was I not clear enough my dearest sister? I thought that get out meant for you to leave me, and to go away, or are you to hot headed to understand when someone doesn’t love you, or do you not know what that feels like.”

She put a sad look on her face, but why would she care about me, “But Luna, what are you talking about, we need to work together so I can raise the sun.”

I could feel my rage boiling inside me and, it was in that moment, I snapped, “Why should I help you raise your stupid sun?! So all the little ponies who ignore my beautiful night, can run around in your day, and worship you, and love you?! WELL, NO MORE! I will not lower my moon, I will not make room for your sun, because there will be no more days, there will be no more sun. This night, this glorious night, that I created, ME, NOT YOU, shall last for all eternity.”

Celestia looked at me, shocked and confused, “Luna, what are you talking about, why are you doing this?”

I laughed, “Why, WHY?! I’ll tell you why. I’m fed up with this, with you! All you do is raise the silly little sun, and all the little ponies everywhere worship you, and praise you, just because of the sun. They spend all day playing outside, and enjoying the sun, every activity they do in their life involves your stupid sun. But as soon as my beautiful night comes out, they all head into their houses, and sleep though my precious night. I bring out the stars and moon for them, FOR THEM, but what do they do? They ignore it, like it’s nothing. They don’t see the beauty in it. Well, my nights are beautiful, but they ignore them like they ignore me. They act like I don’t even exist. Does my crown and status count for nothing? I’m just the same as you, I’m a ruler of Equestria, yet why do they ignore me?” I began to laugh, “They refuse to see my night, well now they have no choice, They WILL love me as they do you, they WILL see the wrong they have done, and they WILL beg for forgiveness. Mark my words; they will regret not loving me, and they will see that the night is more beautiful than any day you could make.”

“But Luna…”

“NO, do not call me that anymore, your precious Luna was a push over. I am not a pushover, I’m taking what should be mine. I am Nightmare Moon, and as of now, this land is MY domain, my kingdom of the night.” I could see her struggle with comprehending the situation, maybe she’ll just leave.

“Lun… Nightmare Moon, will you not listen to reason, will you not give them a chance to hear how you feel?”

“Reason, listening? They barely even recognize my existence, and you think I should try to talk to them? They could’ve tried that long ago. Well, it’s too late for that, they had their chance long ago, they’ve chosen their path.”

“Sis, is there any way I can talk you out of doing this, it’s all unnecessary. I can show you that they love you as much as they love me, and as much as I love you.

“HA, you think you can win me over with your words, they mean nothing, they hold no weight behind them. You can’t chance them with talk and reason, the only thing they’ll understand now is force, and that’s exactly what’s going to happen. I shall keep the moon in the night sky; I shall not allow you to raise the sun, and there’s nothing you can do to stop me!”

“I see, then you leave me no choice, I’m so sorry sis, but I have to do this. I PRINCESS CELESTIA HEREBY BANISH YOU TO THE MOON!”

“What, you can’t do that, this is my domain, the moon is mine, only I control it, YOU CAN’T DO THI-”

Everything went black, I felt as if I was in a dark abyss, surrounded by nothing. Time had stopped, and I realized that this was actually happening. My sister had actually banished me. I opened my eyes and looked around, and I realized where I was, I was on the moon. What have I done, I’ve made a huge mistake. I’m so far from home, so far away from those who I’d carelessly thrown away. My time in solitude has begun.