• Published 25th May 2012
  • 754 Views, 17 Comments

Of Hoof and Paw - Damsus Rhee



A tale from the past becomes reality and threatens to destroy all of Equestria.

  • ...
 17
 754

Chapter 6

Of Hoof and Paw

Written by: Damsus Rhee

Chapter Six

The air was almost crackling with magical currents.

Gale smiled wryly to herself as she looked at the shocked Princess of the Sun, her counsel mare clueless as to the secret hanging in the air between the princess and the wolf. Only Celestia could see her for what she was. The chains she with which she had bound her magic, while masking her from the other Furies, was also a beacon of light to the eldritch sight of any alicorn, of which she knew well only two remained.

The fear in the princess’ eyes was also plain.

Gale’s turned her furious red eyes from Celestia and onto Fleur de Lis, who was now perspiring vigorously, her eyes roaming around nervously, looking for a venue of escape. Gale grinned a wicked smile at the pretty mare as she began to giggle with delight, her expression gleeful. Noticing the hesitant guards, who took up flanking positions around her, the wolf addressed the princess directly.

“It would seem that thou can see me true,” the wolf spoke wistfully. “Dost thou know then what I am... first daughter of Eventide and Aurora?” The wolf, noticing the princess’s expression waver at the mention of her parents, sat and continued. “It would be folly to think that in their passing they would not have mentioned my name to thee.” Without looking at them directly, she took in the guards who quietly advanced on her, wing-blades and spears at the ready. She gestured to the approaching guards, who took frightened steps back from the sudden movement of her paw, never looking away from the stunned princess. “Perchance thou wouldst be more pleased should our audience be conducted in a more private fashion... your highness.”

Celestia looked at the slowly-advancing guards. Her expression was pensive. Looking into the pleading eyes of Fleur de Lis, she came to a decision and regained her composure as she regarded the wolf.

“That may be... for the best,” Celestia said evenly. “Everypony, please leave me and my... guest here alone. We have much to discuss.” The guards exchanged worried looks. Their trepidation dissolved when Celestia spoke again, her voice now firmer. “That is an order.”

The guards retreated sullenly from the throne room, their heads hung low, ears laid back in disappointment. Gale watched as they walked away, her red eyes masking her emotions. Looking over, she noticed Fleur making a quick retreat as well, attempting to hide behind a guard as he slowly trotted out. The guard, for his part, seemed pleased to be near the famous and beautiful model-pony, smiling widely and looking among his colleagues to see if they had noticed.

“Not thee, mare,” Gale said, pointing a claw at her. “I believe that thy sovereign shall desire thy company when she and I have finished our business.” She looked dryly back at Celestia. “Is that not so?”

“Given the nature of our business,” Celestia said nervously, her eyes giving a hard stare at the wolf. “I would prefer we were alone.”

“Thank you, your majesty,” Fleur said courteously, turning to leave with a curtsy.

“But,” Celestia continued, causing the model to freeze in her tracks as she glanced over at the white unicorn. “I sense she may be right. I do not know why that is so, but... you will stay.”

“Your highness!” Fleur said in shock, her eyes full of terror. “Surely you do not wish...”

“You may stay of your own accord,” the Princess continued, her voice steadfast. “Or... my guards can bring you by force. The choice is yours.”

“Y-yes... I will... stay,” the white mare said nervously, slowly walking to sit next to her. “If this is what you wish... I will obey.” She hung her head and sat quietly, her expression pensive.

Once only the three remained in the room, Gale stood, smiling at the two mares. Celestia’s face was a rictus of formality, an expression calculated to hide her feelings. Tempest, however, could see the fear simmering there, the desire to flee the terror before her. Fleur kept her head down. But her eyes, pink and glowing, were locked on the wolf with a malicious intensity.

“I suppose you have come here for some mischievous purpose,” Celestia spoke without inflection. “I would like to inform you that should you attempt to harm any...”

“Thy ponies hold no fascination for me,” Gale sneered, pacing back and forth, her eyes locked on the two. Her voice grew sultry as she spoke. “I have no interest in thee. Thou hast nothing I desire.”

“What?” Celestia asked in confusion, watching the wolf nervously. “Then... what is it that you want?”

“Her,” the wolf spoke hungrily, pointing a claw once again at the silent sentinel of the model on the princess’s left. Celestia quickly turned her gaze from the wolf to the model and back again. Gale watched the confusion in her face turn to worry, slowly giving way once again to the silent resolve. “Thou hast felt it, no? Some part of thy mind has seen the truth of what I speak. Some greater picture alluding thee in the wake of things gone by.”

Fleur’s expression began to harden, becoming a furious scowl. Her eyes shone brighter, threatening to paint the room in their colors. Celestia did not seem to notice the glow emanating from the mare, but looked at her with concern. Fleur glanced up at her princess with a venomous kindness, her sparkling smile confidant, her shimmering eyes radiating vile magic into the alicorn’s mind.

“Dearest Celestia,” Fleur purred softly up to her. “She has come here to deceive you. Lies... all her words are lies. This... wolf would spread sedition and dissent among us.” The glow fading as she panted, she gave the wolf a bittersweet smile. “Better to send her away with her tail between her legs.” She gave a fierce glare to the wolf. “Like the hound she is.”

“You may be right,” Celestia said vacantly. “I don’t know this wolf like I know you.”

“Oh Celestia,” Gale chided, a look of annoyance on her face. “In thy heart, thou knowest thy words to be poisoned. Words poured into thy ears from a forked tongue wielded as the sole weapon of a weak and witless liar.” The wolf sat. “If thou shalt not hear my words, allow me to educate thee by mine own uncorrupted might.”

The air around her began to spark and burn as her power flowed freely. The invisible chains binding her began to squeal and moan against their new burden. Her red eyes became deep infernos that threatened to swallow up the unwary. Her fur coat became a snowy white.

Celestia felt the first shockwave of magic, threatening to draw her own power from her to add to its own. She recoiled from the pressure of the flowing power. Fleur’s eyes were wide with horror as she watched the familiar form of the wolf take shape before her. As the power seemed ready to shake Canterlot castle off the very mountain on which it rested, the onslaught ended, and the small pink wolf standing once more in the place recently occupied by the horror of power and fury. Celestia recomposed herself with an effortlessness borne of long practice, taking in a deep breath and calming her nerves.

“Now thou knowest what stands before thee,” Gale spoke fiercely.

Tempest,” Celestia uttered, her normally-regal tone nothing but a quiet whisper.

“Exactly,” the wolf said with barely-restrained glee, bowing courteously. “Tis a pleasure to make thy acquaintance.” She sat once more, a pleased look on her face. She gave a wicked grin to Fleur. “And to thy left sits none other than Treachery. If thou knowest myself, surely thou must know him as well. A vile snake, he poisons the minds of those around him to his will.”

Celestia looked in shock at her long-time friend, now noticing the strange pink hue coming from her eyes. She leaped away in fright, landing on the steps of her throne to face the imposter. Fleur slowly stood, her face seething hatred towards the wolf.

“That thou shouldst dare to call me out openly!” Squeaked a tiny voice, though Fleur’s mouth remained closed. “Thou shalt reveal me! Thou would with but a single uttering of my name lay ruin to the carefully-laid plans I have sown!” Though her mouth uttered no words, she continued speaking in the furious tone of the squeaking voice, her teeth clenched in anger. “Thou cursed mongrel! Bitch! I shall see thee rot under the claw of my lord Misery!”

“May I?” Gale asked Celestia, suddenly next to her, causing the alicorn to jump in shock again. Landing at the base of the steps and looking at the two, she addressed the wolf.

“What!?” The princess asked, panicked. “May you what?”

“Tis thy kingdom,” Gale purred, grinning wickedly at the unicorn mare now simmering with rage and fear before her. “Thy will is my bond, majesty.” The wolf looked over to the confused alicorn and smiled, her eyes wild. “Let me aid thee by lifting the veil that blinds thy sight.”

Celestia backed away as the wolf took in a deep breath. Gale’s eyes burned brighter and brighter as she opened her jaws and released a bark. No sound came out. The windows in the throne room wavered, threatening to crack and shatter from the sudden force, the unseen waves striking the princess. Her eyes began to glaze, a pink veil wrapping them, only for the invisible scales that covered them to dissipate and vanish.

Celestia felt wide awake for the first time in a long time.

Silent and furious resolve appeared on her face as she regarded Fleur, no longer under her influence. She stepped forward. Stopping next to the wolf, she met her eyes, her own magenta pools burning with a ferocity almost to match the red wolf’s.

“She was not my friend,” Celestia said coldly. “She has been misleading me.” Tears welled in her eyes, although her face remained empty of any emotion. “By the stars! Luna!” Her eyes burned brighter. “You shall pay for what you have done!”

“Do not think that this mare is the object of thy displeasure,” Gale spoke softly, regarding Fleur with glee. “She is locked away inside her mind’s eye. Treachery takes the minds of those he can dominate, slowly draining them of life. Devouring them in the purest manner, from the mind outwards.” Gale took a step toward the possessed mare. “I am going to bring thee to the light, Treachery. I shall pull thee from thy host... torn asunder by my fangs into the one place thy small and black heart fears the most.” Gale looked into Fleur de Lis’s eyes, their illumination painting the entire room red. Her voice rang out. “Plain sight!”

*******

Treachery opened his eyes on a dark void.

Around him was an endless expanse of nothing. No celestial guide lit his way, only his eyes and their vibrant pink glow. Gazing around into the darkness, he was cold. And a slow, terrible realization dawned on him.

He was in his own mind maze inside of Fleur de Lis.

His transparent shifting form began scurrying towards where he knew the exit to be. Although no longer lit by his all-knowing gaze shining down on her mind, he still remembered how to escape. A foolish ploy like this would mean nothing once he was out of the trap. Once freed, he would destroy the vessel that carried him, obliterating her mind and everything in it. The cursed wolf would perish, and he would find a new host with whom to whisper pretty lies into the sun princess’ royal ears.

In the darkness before Treachery, a set of fiery red eyes opened, bathing his chameleon form with their light. He slid to a stop, transfixed in fear on the wild eyes that looked strangely pleased to meet him, followed shortly by the pink wolf who owned them. She was smiling at him, eagerness in her expression.

“Damned mongrel!” Treachery spat, despising the wolf with each breath. “Think thou to come here, to my own domain, and remove me?” He took a step away from the approaching wolf, his anger rising. “This is my maze! My spell! Thou durst not bring thy...”

“Silence,” Gale said gently, eagerly licking her lips. “Thou wouldst do well to flee now the wolf who hunts thee, little betrayer prince.”

“Thou art snared in my trap!” Treachery shouted as his eyes released a shockwave of pink magic. From the glow of the magic, vile pink tendrils reached out for the wolf. Full of confidence, Treachery’s voice became a roar. “Now, die!”

The magic never reached its mark.

The tendrils evaporated long before reaching the wolf, dissolving into the darkness like smoke in a sudden breeze. Treachery’s eyes began to dull, losing their glow. He felt very weak, no longer able to bolster his reserves by drawing on his host. Slowly he raised his head to meet the blood-red eyes of the pink wolf before him, his eyes wide and his breathing labored.

“I finally get to meet you,” A familiar voice came from behind him. He turned around, dimly able to make out the figure of an elderly mare walking slowly towards him. All that remained of Fleur de Lis walked past him, regarding his changing shape with little more note than one would take of a piece of refuse. Her eyes locked on the wolf as she continued away from her tormentor, filled with delight in meeting something, anything new for the first time in ages. “You, though, I don’t know.”

“Hello Fleur,” Gale said sweetly. “I am Tempest... and soon thou shalt find thy way out from this waking hell.”

“She... is... mine!” Treachery squeaked in high-pitched tones of rage, trying in vain to draw upon some of his energy.

“You might as well stop,” Fleur said with candor, a calm smile on her face. “I will give you nothing of myself anymore.”

“Seems as though someone is all out of friends,” Gale purred, her grin wicked. “My dear Fleur. May I remove this cancer from thee?”

“By all means,” Fleur said, sitting wearily and facing Treachery, her eyes cold. “I just wish I was strong enough to help.”

“If vengeance on thy attacker is thy desire,” Gale said leaning against the withered mare. “I can see that thou art able.”

Fear took hold of Treachery, and he turned to run. Behind him, the wolf became dark, as though the shadows of the maze were her cloak. Her body began to melt against Fleur’s, coating the elderly mare in a thick ichor that had once been Gale. Fleur vanished and melted into the morass, the red glow of Gale’s eyes no longer lighting the void maze.

Once again, Treachery could see nothing but darkness as he fled into the endless abyss. Around him red eyes began to open, rolling around wildly and locking on him, their red glow bright as a sun but doing nothing to light his way. He panicked and slid to a stop as an eye opened in front of him, splitting down the center. The slit became a mouth lined with teeth, snapping hungrily in search of its prey as he leapt clear of its grasp.

In the distance, Treachery could see the outline of the wolf standing parallel to him. A strange glowing darkness emanated from her, hundreds of red eyes all over her body staring at him. Her mouth twisted and dropped to the earth, her voice escaping its deformed source as a wail.

“Welcome to thine own hell, Treachery!” The monster before him cried in almost sexual ecstasy. Its arms and legs broke with terrible cracks and pops, changing into wolf heads and slithering along the ground at great speed, each covered in a dozen glowing red eyes. “Let us take joy in our time together!”

The first of the heads reached Treachery’s changing form, clamping down on a shifting leg which took tangible form as it was torn and shredded from its joint. Ripping it out noisily, it threw back its head and chewed with snaps and pops, before swallowing the ruined mess. Pain blinded Treachery’s mind as more and more of him was torn free, pulled apart by the ghoulish pack descending on him and ground into a paste.

Death would have been a mercy.

“This is delightful!” The voice of the cursed wolf cried around the mound of flesh that had once been Treachery, his invisible head lying on top of the pile, pink eyes frozen in a rictus of horror as the snake-like wolves came together before him as liquid, forming the original. Her thousand eyes all burnt into him with strange desire. Her twisted, jagged mouth broken into a terrifying grin.

She shouted, her words running together. “Quickly! Compose thyself once more and fight me!” Her voice poured into his mind, infecting him, violating him, with her excitement and desire.

The broken creature lying before her trembled.

Her expression shifted to boredom. “Pretend not as if this is all the power thou hast at thy disposal! The night is yet young... and I will share with thee all the delights that thou hast deserved.” As she approached, she grinned horribly.

Fleur’s gleeful eyes opened alongside the wolf’s many.

Treachery did all he could do.

He screamed.

*******

Celestia could safely say that nothing in her long experience as a sovereign had given her any sort of framework for how to react to this situation.

The teeth of the wolf she now knew to be Tempest were locked in a death-grip around the throat of Fleur de Lis. Both model and wolf were breathing, but remained still and silent, their eyes unfocused. Cautiously, Celestia approached the entwined couple, her head low, her muscles tensed. She came to an abrupt halt as the wolf’s eyes sharpened, her fangs tearing viciously at the white mare’s throat. The princess saw that she tore not at flesh, but at a writhing distortion, barely visible to the princess.

The wolf pulled violently, flinging the strange chameleon across the castle floor. The tiny object landed hard and slid near Celestia, trailing some sort of transparent ichor. She cantered back in surprise as its glowing pink eyes locked onto her. With a piercing screech it leaped towards her throat.

Celestia’s horn burnt with holy light as a shield formed around her. The thing clung to it, clawing and biting, strange sickly-pink shockwaves running through the shield where it touched it. Though she was inches from the strange creature, she couldn’t seem to look at it long enough to discern its physical form. Deciding she had seen enough of the puny thing trying to get at her, her horn shone brighter as the shield exploded outwards, sending a rainbow-colored shockwave through the throne room. The glass in every window shattered. The creature emitted a high-pitched squeal as it was propelled out one of the broken windows, vanishing into the city far below.

Celestia was breathing hard, more in fear than fatigue. She turned to face the wolf, who was offering a helping paw to a very fatigued Fleur. With a genuine smile, the lovely mare took it gladly, standing with the wolf’s help and breathing a sigh of relief. Celestia approached the two, her bearing curious. As she drew near, she could hear the familiar sound of her royal guard rushing to her aid.

The throne room doors burst open, guards piling in and taking up long-practiced but seldom-used defensive positions around their princess. More continued to flood in from the hallways connected to either side of the central chamber, surrounding Gale and Fleur, weapons in hoof and mouth and glittering dangerously on wings. Twilight and the other Ponyville residents rushed in, gazing in shock at the ruined confusion of the throne room. As the guards slowly descended on the still and calm wolf, steel and determination in their many-hued eyes, Celestia spread her wings, stirring up a strong breeze that smelled of flowers, and instantly commanded everypony’s attention.

“Everypony, hold!” Her voice was almost unnaturally loud and commanding, wholly unlike its more usual tones. Every eye in the room turned towards her in surprise and not a little fear. She looked from the worried concern of Twilight, to the casual relaxation of the pink wolf. Celestia smiled brightly and her voice grew cheerful, despite the chaos of her throne room. “Our meeting has yet to conclude, and I would appreciate you all allowing us to finish in peace.”

“But... your majesty,” a male guard spoke, the tip of his spear leveled at the smiling wolf’s heart. “We... we heard...”

“I know,” Celestia interrupted, giving him a kind, motherly smile. “You were right to come to my aid. But... this wolf is not responsible for the state of my court.” Ponies casted about in confusion. The low murmur of questions and objections filled the room. Celestia silenced them with an upraised hoof. “Everypony, I ask that you leave. I will explain later. Once my business with miss...”

“Gale,” the wolf filled in, her tone neutral.

“Yes,” Celestia continued. “When we are finished, I will tell everypony what they need to know. So please... everypony.”

Guards lowered their weapons and left the room, their faces downcast. Twilight ran up alongside Princess Celestia and looked up at her, purple eyes shining with worry. Celestia placed a reassuring hoof on her head and smiled brightly at her.

“This wolf is your friend, yes?” Celestia asked her star pupil. Gale’s ears perked up. “You are here to vouch for her, I take it?”

Twilight glanced at Gale, worry etched on her face. She looked back at her friends, smiling at the silent support they all exuded. Everypony except Pinkie, who only continued to bounce at her. She turned to face her mentor, her eyes full of resolve.

“Yes,” Twilight said seriously. “She saved Applebloom from certain death.” She gestured back to the red-headed filly, whose eyes, like those of her two closest friends, were wide and full of sparkling awe at their closeness to the beautiful princess.

Twilight looked awkwardly to the floor, scuffing at it absently with her hoof. “We... well... she doesn’t seem to have anyplace else to go. So... we offered her an empty cave outside of Ponyville.” After a brief pause, she desperately spit out: “She’s... really nice!”

“As though I were a new pet, and she a filly begging her mother,” Gale mused with a sly grin. Twilight blushed.

Celestia gave a good-natured giggle. After watching Twilight for a pensive moment, she spoke slowly. “Twilight... your plea has been noted. I will make my determination presently... but I need all of you to allow me to speak with your friend a bit longer. Please, go speak with the castle chamberlain. He will make the arrangements for you all to stay here tonight.”

Everypony exchanged nervous glances, but swiftly moved to follow their princess’s command. Rarity giggled happily and skipped in place. Fleur de Lis stopped in front of the door and looked to Celestia, her beautiful face pleading. Celestia nodded at her, her eyes compassionate. The weary model-pony quietly left the room.

Twilight beamed up at Celestia. “I understand.” She gave a bow. “Thank you.” She turned to face her friends. “Come on girls.” Twilight stopped in the arched doorway, looking back at the pink wolf. “You be on your best behavior, now.”

Gale’s smile faded as a slight, inaudible growl escaped her. “I always am,” she responded with a sneer, watching the purple pony and her friends leave. Once the door had shut behind them, the wolf looked to Celestia. “They mean a great deal to thee?” She lay down on the throne room floor and began grooming herself, much to Celestia’s dismay. “The current bearers, I mean.”

“How do you know of that?” Celestia asked in shock. “Did they tell you?”

“No,” Gale said, pausing for a moment as she regarded the young alicorn. “But the truth is clear.” Her smile faded into a frown, her voice sullen. “A pity, really. We both know the fate that awaits the bearers.”

“Why do you say that?” Celestia asked.

“Because,” the wolf continued. “They are about to face trials that neither they... nor thee, for that matter... possess any faculty whatsoever with which to evenly meet.”

Celestia took a moment to think over the wolf’s words. She made no attempt to hide her fear and worry. Moments ago, she had seen a brief glimpse of the unimaginable power of the wolf. Even tempered by the Grand Seals, it was far beyond anything the princess had ever encountered. She had heard tales of the Furies from her parents.

She had never believed them. It had been easy to be dissuaded by the parental nuzzles and giggles of foalish fright that had accompanied any particularly good telling of the many dark tales in which they featured. But today she had seen one of their number in the flesh, and she was afraid.

This fear was not like her fear of Nightmare. It had stolen the only pony she really had left in the world. The only pony whose eventual departure through time or circumstance her heart needn’t always mourn, harboring it as a secret pain. Nightmare had preyed on Luna’s deep sadness and isolation after her parents had been lost to the great sleep, after she was thrust unprepared into the role of Mare of the Moon. It had twisted her, tried to take her throne for its own. For what alien purposes the princess still did not know. But in the end, she had known that through the Elements of Harmony her sister could be restored, rid of her foe.

Neither was this fear like her fear of Discord. He simply played his foalish games, using those around him for his mercurial pleasure. His end was to cause madness, not death. Although sometimes Celestia herself didn’t know which was worse. She knew from her long-gone parents that madness was an ever-present danger for her kind. She was vigilant for signs of it in herself. Discord as well had fallen before the power of the Elements, first in her hooves, and then in those of her chosen bearers.

And she had never felt anything like this horror of Queen Chrysalis. That one had wanted only to steal the love from the hearts of ponies. Though a terrible fate to be sure, death or destruction had never been her intent. She had gotten more love than she could stomach, and had been banished forever as a result.

If half the tales were true, the Furies were nothing like the foes she had faced before now. Even if they were stopped, many ponies would die. And if any of the wolf’s kindred even approached Gale’s raw power, she did not know if she could stop them. Before, the Elements and the true power of friendship, love, and determination had been all she needed to win.

Her parents had told her many times that the Elements were nothing before the might of the Furies.

“Art thou disturbed, my lady?” Gale asked playfully, smiling at the alicorn’s worried expression.

“There is so much I want to ask,” Celestia spoke in a whisper. “I don’t know where to begin.”

“Then ask thee first that which is simplest,” Gale responded whimsically.

“Very well,” Celestia agreed. She saw that the wolf's eyes had returned to a clear blue color. “What do you want? My parents spoke of the Furies only as a bedtime story. Now I am face to face with one who tells me that the rest are loose.” She looked away sadly. “I seem to have failed...”

“We have been reduced to bedtime stories?” Gale asked, her face lighting up with amusement. “Such dark tales to tell children. I would like to hear some of them.” She laughed. “What do I want? Ever have I asked myself that same question. I give it precious little thought. I suppose that what I desire the most is to do as I wish.” She smiled. “As soon as I know what that is, at any rate.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” Celestia asked, her brow furrowed. “You mean to do anything you wish, without consequence?”

“No,” Gale said, rolling over onto her back. “My mood changes. Some days I desire a good fight. Some days a long rest. At this moment, I desire a bit of both.” She rolled back over to face the princess. “I will stay in that cave. Enjoy myself. And when my kin draw near... I will have my fight.”

“You will fight against them?” Celestia asked, magenta eyes wide. “Against your own kind?”

“There is little love between us,” Gale said dryly. “I am certain to stir their ire in short order.”

“Why?” Celestia inquired.

Gale grinned wickedly. “Because I care not for their schemes. The world as they would make it has no place for me. They fear me more than thou couldst possibly comprehend. Once, they tried to use me as a tool. To channel my rage for their own designs.” Her blue eyes narrowed. “They were displeased with what their labors wrought. The world that Eventide and Aurora left for thee... the land that thou hast guarded and held safe. It holds far more amusements for one such as myself. I find it... interesting.”

“They will attack soon... won’t they?” Celestia asked, her ears drooping.

“Yes,” Gale said. “And there is precious little that thou might do to stop it.” Celestia’s expression was a mix of horror and grief. “Shouldst thou send thy forces into the field, they will attack thee here. Shouldst thou remaineth here... bottling thine people in thy protective shell... It shall be a tomb for all of you.”

“I must warn my people,” Celestia said frantically.

“Yes, you must,” Gale said, approaching the princess and sitting before her. Celestia leaned away from the wolf. “Hast thou not faith in thy pony’s resolve?”

“Of course!” Celestia exclaimed.

“Then relinquish thy own Element to the bearers,” Shock registered on the alicorn’s face. “Though it cannot save them from what is to come, it may let them heal some of the hurts that will result.” Gale laid a paw on Celestia’s hoof.

“This is thy peoples’ chance to protect themselves. If thou hast true faith in them... let them prove themselves worthy. Aid them as thou wilt... but remember this: Should thee and thy sister fail, thy people are doomed to follow.”

Celestia watched as the wolf gave her one last smile before making for the exit. She still had so much to ask the Fury. Gale stopped at the entrance to the chamber and turned to look back at the worried alicorn.

“Thy mother and father would be proud of thee,” Gale said fondly. Tears welled in Celestia’s eyes at that. The wolf’s voice became mocking. “And if thou shouldst speak my true identity to my... friends.” The pink wolf snorted and continued. “I will tear out thy throat.” She gave a coy smile. The princess frowned. “I like it here. I do not wish it to become complicated... not yet, at any rate.”

After the wolf had left, Celestia allowed herself a moment to grieve. Sparkling tears ran down her face. She had allowed the seals to be broken. Her parent’s sacrifices seemed in vain. All because of her incompetence. She wished they had told her more of their battles with the furies, to temper the insignificance she felt before such adversaries. She felt a deep fear of the wolf. Tempest. She could not be allowed to roam free. In all the stories of her foalhood, the wolf had been the worst.

She thought of Twilight.

Twilight could be in danger most of all. Her favorite pupil thought of the wolf as a friend. What was more, she had actually taken the time to request the wolf be allowed to stay outside of Ponyville. Not that she could do anything about it. Even with the seals, Celestia knew she stood no chance against the wolf. But could she allow her friends to remain unaware that such a monster lived among them? If she told them against the Fury’s wishes, it could place her friends, and all of Equestria, in even greater danger than it already faced. She would need to speak to her sister on these matters.

Luna.

Galloping from the throne room, Celestia ran past her guards, registering to their senses as little more than a sweet-smelling blur, and down into the dungeons of the castle. As she approached the cell that held her sister, her horn glowed a furious white, and the bars bent out of her way. She collapsed next to Luna, still bound by her spell, and held her tightly, wishing she would wake up. Slowly she began undoing the seal, fearing all the while that Nightmare would be the one to greet Luna instead of her.

The seals broke and Celestia nearly fainted. She had used more magic today than she had been forced to use in quite some time. Gently, she rolled Luna over, looking down at her with worry in her sparkling eyes. Slowly, the blue mare began to stir. She looked up at her sister in relief.

“Hi Tia,” Luna said weakly.

“Hi, Lulu,” was all Celestia managed to choke out before she began to sob uncontrollably, burying her tear-stained face in her sister’s downy feathers.

“I’m so sorry,” they said at the same time, cuddling tightly in the dark cell, sparkling alicorn tears flowing freely.

*******

Treachery huddled in a ball of agony.

He lay in an alley in Canterlot City, his many wounds slowly healing. Severe burns and cuts ran along his shifting body. He squealed in pain, writhing in agony as his legs began to mend, popping and jerking back into place. It had been lucky that Celestia had launched him through a window into the city, robbing Tempest of the pleasure of tormenting him.

Tempest had made his life hell for what seemed like an eternity, torturing him within his own mind-maze. It was only luck by which he had escaped her mental assault, only to find the wolf’s bare teeth awaiting him in the physical world.

And his plan to control the princess had been working. Although he could not directly possess an alicorn, he could force them to do his bidding through another for a time. He had thought that would be all he would need. But that moment had now passed, thanks to the cursed wolf.

Rising from the cold ground, Treachery scurried into the city streets. He was in desperately in need of a new host. One that would not be so resistant to his advances. Fleur de Lis had cost him much of his power. If unable to absorb their essences fully, to add them to himself, he would never gain any power. He would have to start small if he ever wished to regain his might.

As Treachery began to step out onto the street, still invisible to the naked eye, he noticed a familiar pony slowly making her way past. Fleur de Lis looked as though she bore the weight of the world on her shoulders, trudging along the street with her head down and ears drooped, eyes heavy with an age that was not her own.

He chortled quietly to himself. This mare who had thought herself free of him was so weary that she would be swallowed up in moments. After aiding the wolf in his torment, he looked forward to crushing her. Following her discreetly, he waited until she was alone, away from anypony who might see her pained contortions in his moment of victory. With a sickening speed, he moved towards her.

“I can see you,” Fleur said quietly. The cloaked Fury came to a sudden halt. Slowly, she turned to face the invisible creature, her eyes no longer weary but full of disdain. “Did you think that I, after spending a lifetime trapped in your clutches, would not be able to feel you out?” He emitted a low growl, his eyes shining a bright, piercing pink.

Dashing at her, the creature leapt at her throat, a vicious, palpable hunger flooding out of him. Fleur’s eyes did not waver as her horn shone a soft pink, wrapping the attacker in a gentle pink veil, arresting his motion and holding the strangely-shifting body in the air before her. She cocked her head as she stared at the translucent creature.

“Treachery,” Fleur said with no emotion. “Your methods are sickening. Never lifting your own hand... casually sundering the bonds of friendship. Torturing ponies in a prison of their own minds is the height of cowardice. And you do such things without shame. I want you dead. I’m going to kill you, and cast you aside before your hidden blade finds another.”

“Curse the seed that spawned thee,” Treachery spat, wriggling in her telepathic grasp. “Were I not weakened, I would rip thy soul from thy flesh and bury thy heart in the mud!” He quit wriggling, a slow and invisible smile spreading across his face, his tone rash and boastful. “Thou hast no magic or strength to defeat me.”

“Thou hast never before been robbed of thy quarry, hast thou?” Fleur de Lis mocked, her horn shooting sparking energy into the air. “I am a unicorn. And I have been trapped for what seemed to me to be well over one-hundred years. Did you think that I would have given no thought to magical theory during that time?” As Treachery began to thrash about, trying to break free, six magical circles appeared in the air above him. They began to hum and spin, magic building and crackling off of them as they did. Fleur’s eyes grew fierce, full of resolve as she regarded her captive. “Now! Vanish before me like dust in the wind!”

All six of the circles quit spinning at once, much to Treachery’s dismay, and poured white light down towards the levitating Fury. Like a torrential waterfall the beams washed over him, burning and tearing at his body. No longer held by the magical grasp of the white mare, he slammed into the ground and was pinned to it by the continuing force of the onslaught seeking to rend him into oblivion. He was unable to move, unable to scream, and the pain was extraordinary. Underneath him the ground began to glow bright red, superheating and melting against his flesh.

And suddenly, it was over.

“I had always believed that battle was for the brutish, or else an art, to be perfected through meticulous training and preparation,” Fleur spoke as she stared down at Treachery, his small body still cloaked, twitching in its death throes. “But tonight, for the very first time, I was able to comprehend the thrill of indulging my more primal instincts. This little battle was a good one.” She raised a hoof above the wounded creature’s head, regarding him from above as nothing more than an insect to be crushed. “You made me what I am now. For that, I am in your debt. But debt or not, you are my enemy... I feel no remorse for crushing you beneath my hoof.”

Before the mare could bring her hoof down, a pegasus guard tackled into her, sending her reeling into the wall of a building. He charged after her as she struggled to get to her feet, her eyes wide with shock as he pushed her against the stone wall, her face pressed hard against its surface.

“No!” She shouted in shock, struggling against his superior physical strength. “You have to let me finish him!”

“There’s no one there!” The guard shouted in her ear as another pegasus guard landed next to him, helping to hold her down. “You are under arrest for the use of offensive magic within the city limits!”

“No!” Fleur screamed up at him, looking him in the eye. “There is a...” She quieted down as she noticed his eyes had a faint pink hue to them. Looking past the guard to the spot where Treachery had been curled up, she saw him standing shakily, an evil grin on his cloaked face.

“Enjoy the castle dungeons, my dear Fleur de Lis,” Treachery chided. “Maybe while thou art there I shall visit with Fancy Pants.” He smiled as she began to scream. His eyes glowed brightly and one of the guards raised his hoof, striking her on the head and sending her to the ground in a heap. “I would take thee now... but thou hast proven to be... troublesome.”

Turning around, he looked about at the ponies who were approaching, gaping at the arrest of one of Canterlot’s most famous aristocrats. He licked his lips hungrily, looking from elderly mares to newborn foals held in their mother’s hooves. A colt approached and stood right next to him.

He stood, staring down into the smoking crater Fleur had created in tormenting him. The brown pony’s eyes sparkled in astonishment as he regarded the hole, reaching out and poking the crispy smooth surface with a hoof. He was unaware of the danger lurking near him. Unaware even when the ghostly form of the Fury latched onto him. Only the voice in his mind told him that something was wrong.

Thou shalt do just fine...

*******

Misery watched as the cursed orb of burning light that was the Equestrian sun finally sank below the horizon. In the distance, music roared across the desert landscape, mixed with the festive uproar of Salt Lick City. Misery grinned wickedly as images of Spite ripping through the celebration played fondly through his diseased mind. Spreading his black wings, he flew at a speed unseemly for his great bulk, towards the familiar aura of Avarice.

Slipping into the shadows cast by the clouds, the black raven made his way swiftly to a wide, barren field. Landing in the middle of it, he surveyed his surroundings. Dirt and stone were upturned by a multitude of holes, tunnels down into the workways of Avarice’s first children. He had ruled them through their greed, turning to his own ends an almost unnatural desire to obtain diamonds and precious gems.

The dark bird dissolved into a sinuous vapor, his now-diffuse form sliding through each and every tunnel of the deep burrow simultaneously, coming together in the central chamber. Its walls were raw and gashed with the wounds of their recent mining. He was greeted by the extravagant visage of Avarice, sitting in a pile of gems, surrounded by ponies with gold-ringed eyes. Behind the gold bull knelt an army of diamond dogs, respectful and fawning in the sight of their long-lost golden king, thought by some to be only a memory. Their eyes were fixed on the gems that he sat upon, bearing the gold ring marking them as servants to the golden bull.

Misery’s beak twisted into its unnatural leer at the sight, as he took a lumbering step past the ponies towards their idol. So entranced by his possessions, the value of his flesh, they seemed barely to take notice of the great carrion bird. Avarice regarded Misery with a golden smile, the light of torches burning off his flesh as if he were some treasure hidden in a forgotten temple.

“How I have missed thee in thy absence, my beloved king of rot.” The great bull inclined his head in respect. “My heart is glad that thou hast returned to me at last,” Avarice purred. His smile turned to a wicked grin. “Thou art well-pleased with the fruits of their labors, I take it?”

“Indeed,” Misery spoke. “Thy forces swell more swiftly than those of thy lesser kin. Comforting to know that it is now as ever it was”

“Yes,” Avarice spoke wistfully, raising a great hoof and lifting a pony’s vacant head to look him in the eyes. “All creatures have desire... and where they desire, there may I play.” He turned his attention to the diamond dogs behind him. “It is sweet to once again reunite with the first children to fall to my arts.”

Misery spoke with satisfaction. “Their greed goes unsatisfied still. Shepherds without a flock; they will turn from any wisdom but thine. To undeserved riches, each and every one.” He grinned at the bull. “But thou shalt reclaim them in the end, is it not true?”

“Tis true,” Avarice agreed, then lowered his maw to his stash, choking on the glut of precious gems he swallowed down his throat. He turned to regard the dogs who were crestfallen at the loss of such jewels. “Fear not, my loyal servants. This I do for thee... a gift, from thy emperor, to thee.” His golden eyes became burning pools. Smoke and flame billowed from his open mouth as they stared at him in anticipation, claws digging at the ground, barely able to hold back their desire for whatever gift he might bestow upon them.

“What limitless vault hangs between thy shoulders, bull?” Misery asked, his head tilting with the unnatural contortions of his curiosity as he regarded his companion. “How many kingdoms hast thou devoured?” The smoke from the golden bull caused many ponies and dogs alike to cough violently, but none seemed eager to flee for air. “Avarice... thy craftsmanship is still legendary in mine eyes.”

The fire and smoke ceased, and the bull opened his maw. With a mighty heave, hundreds of suits of armor, crafted from gold with detailed inlays of gems and precious stones, poured forth onto the dusty ground. The ponies stared in shock, the diamond dogs with need. Even Misery could barely conceal his desire to own a suit for himself, though how he would make use of such a thing he didn’t know.

“For thee, my beloved lapdogs... take thee that to which each heart cleaves!” Avarice cried out in glee. The dogs rushed, grabbing suits of armor and putting them on. The ponies whose hooves were bare looked at the fiasco before them with grief-stricken expressions, desire in their eyes. Avarice noticed and regarded them with kindness. “Thou too shall know all the riches thy heart's desire. Thou need merely continue in thy labors... bring me more of the gems hidden in these hills and in my magnanimity shall I give to thee reward without measure.”

“Thou art as kind and generous as ever,” Misery said mockingly, the ponies around him cheering in agreement and dashing off to continue their toils. “Thy soldiers shall go about still garbed in such illustrious finery? Prithee allow me to test its fortitude.” He raised a wing, casually releasing a torrent of shadow at a freshly armored dog. The wave washed over the poor canine, rotting away his flesh and bone with barely a scream leaving his lips. Where once he had stood, only a pristine suit of armor was left. One of his greed-stricken fellows grabbed it up as soon as it fell. Misery laughed heartily at the sight. “Thy armor still holds. Even my magic could not tarnish it.” He looked sidelong at the bull. “From the corpses of which ancient ponies didst thou piece it together, I must wonder?”

The bull simply smiled and said nothing.

Suddenly, Misery’s chest rippled like water. A brown filly burst forth from it, landing in between the two Furies. The golden bull leaped back in shock, falling on his back and breaking the stone beneath him. Misery let loose a joyous cry of laughter at his companion’s actions.

“Thy antics, too, are as pleasing as ever!” He rasped, laughter still in his graveyard voice.

“I did not expect thee to... birth a filly!” Avarice cried out in shock, embarrassment shining in his golden face. “What manner of... what is this!?”

“Compose thyself, brother,” the filly spoke in anger to the surprised bull. “Tis me... Treachery!”

“Treachery!?” Misery growled, his eyes burning their sea-green glow, a slow but terrible anger building in his countenance. “Why art thou here? Why doth thou wear the guise of a foal?” He regarded the little pony sternly. “Why art thou not still by the side of the princess, pouring poison into her immortal ear?”

The brown colt looked afraid and ashamed as he watched the great bird. He took a step away from the raging bird and looked over at the still-puzzled bull. Slowly, he drew in a calming breath.

“Tempest,” Treachery whispered.

“What?” Misery said dangerously. “Damn that cur!” He turned to walk about and clear in his mind, but his wing accidentally brushed a mare, who turned to ash almost instantly. He composed himself quickly, smiling horribly. “This may not be so bad.”

“Not so bad?!” Treachery shouted in dismay. “What could be worse?!”

“I will explain later,” Misery said with glee. “Treachery; get thyself forthwith back to Canterlot. Remain hidden and await my instructions.”

“Fine,” Treachery said in annoyance, stepping into Misery and vanishing once more.

“How?” Avarice asked, still in shock.

“My shadows lay here and there across the land,” Misery spoke evenly. “All of them parts of myself. Those who know where they are may use them as gateways to me.” The great bird turned from the bull seemed to be pondering his words. “Make haste and build thy army. I need thee prepared to march on the lower villages and cities of Equestria.”

“Whither dost thou intend to go?” Avarice asked as he regained his composure.

“I must prepare,” Misery spoke, sneering. “The Summer Sun Celebration is tomorrow morning. And I plan to attend.”

*******

The Castle bedchamber was silent, save for the bedsprings under a single bouncing pink pony.

The spacious, well-appointed room held eight beds, all but one occupied by a pony. Twilight Sparkle lay in her bed, sheets pulled up to her nose. She wore a worried look. Rarity and Applejack had no such concerns, both quietly snoring, snuggled in the soft, warm comfort of their respective beds. Rainbow Dash watched Pinkie Pie bounce as Fluttershy tucked in the three Cutie Mark Crusaders.

Finished with the fillies, Fluttershy slowly approached the bouncing pink mare. Pinkie Pie did a double backflip and landed on her stomach on the bed, bouncing off and landing on her hooves in front of the yellow pegasus. Her eyes were sparkling as she began to giggle.

“You know,” Pinkie Pie started, placing a hoof against her chin and thinking. “These Canterlot Castle beds are nice and all... but...”

“But what?” Rainbow Dash asked with a smile.

“Well... I think they need some work in the bouncing department,” Pinkie said displeased. “My bed at home bounces me twice as high.”

“Pinkie...” Rainbow said in disbelief. “The ceilings here are forty hoof. Your room is like twelve... at best.”

“Yep!” Pinkie agreed happily.

“How does that work?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“I have no idea!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed without pause. The blue pegasus face-hoofed.

“Umm, girls...” Fluttershy spoke softly. “Do you think... if you don’t mind that is... that you could maybe keep it down? It’s just that... the little ones are trying to sleep.”

Pinkie Pie came to a rest on the ground, her eyes apologetic. “Oh I’m sorry, Fluttershy. I guess I get carried away when I’m talking about bouncing!” She looked to Rainbow. “You mind if we put this convo on hold until morning, Dashie?”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “Yeah, I think I’ll live.” She smiled brightly at the other pegasus. “Sorry, Fluttershy!” She curled up under her covers.

Fluttershy gave a sweet smile to both mares before retreating to her own bed and laying down.

Without warning, Applebloom got out of bed and trotted over to the only empty bed in the room. She wore a frustrated expression as she leapt up into it. The other Cutie Mark Crusaders looked after her sadly, laying down their heads and keeping quiet. Patiently, Fluttershy crawled out of her bed and went to the aggravated filly’s side.

“Are you alright, Applebloom?” Fluttershy asked quietly.

“No,” Applebloom pouted, folding her hooves as she laid back in the bed. After a moment she turned her soft eyes to the yellow pegasus. “They don’t believe me about that wolf.”

“Applebloom,” Fluttershy reproved sweetly. She rested a hoof on the filly’s head and smiled. “That wolf saved your life. Why are you so scared of her?”

“The question is why aren’t you?” Applebloom responded. “She just shows up and everypony welcomes her with open hooves! What if she is bad? What then?”

“I’m sure the Princess will make sure she’s safe,” Fluttershy reassured. “She wouldn’t let anyone be around us if they weren’t safe.”

“Maybe,” the yellow filly said reluctantly. “But I don’t like her.”

Fluttershy leaned close and nuzzled her on the cheek. The filly blushed and grinned at the gentle touch. Tucking Applebloom in, she hummed a tune and turned, a gentle smile in her eyes as she made her way to her bed. Twilight, listening intently, glanced over at the magical light illuminating the room. Her horn lit with a soft pink glow and the light began to dim.

The door opened quietly as Gale walked in. The pink wolf wore a smile as she regarded everypony, her quiet entry waking those who were sleeping. She walked into the room, shutting the door behind her with her tail. Twilight sat up quickly, bringing the lamp back to its full glow. The two recently-woken ponies shielded their eyes. Applebloom pulled the covers over her head.

“So how did it go?” Twilight asked, excitement and worry intermixed in her sparkling eyes. “Can you stay?”

“What happened in the throne room?” Applejack asked, wiping her sleepy eyes with a hoof.

“Yes,” Rarity asked. “What was that dreadful noise?”

“Girls!” Twilight exclaimed with a huff. “One question at a time!”

“Please,” Gale said with a chuckle, an earnest smile on her face. “Can we speak of this in the morning?” She turned to face Twilight, who wore a disappointed frown, her bottom lip protruding subconsciously.

The wolf huffed and laughed. “Fine. I shall give simple answers for simple questions. And then off to bed.” The purple unicorn smiled brightly, and everypony else sat up in anticipation. “First... I can stay. I will come on the morrow to live in thy cave.” Fluttershy shared a smile with Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle. “Second... the Princess has been attacked.” Immediately she raised a paw to silence the questions. “And before the questions leave thy lips, I will tell you that she has requested my discretion in the matter, wishing to make thee aware of her own accord.” Everypony’s faces took on somber aspects. They grew more worried as the wolf continued. “Lastly... that noise was the Princess showing her attacker the door.” She smiled wickedly. “Or window, rather.”

“That’s it?” Twilight asked in disbelief. “Who was it? What was it? How in the hoof did it get in there?”

“Thy queen...” she shook her head. “Apologies, thy princess shall speak to thee in those regards,” Gale said coyly. “As I said... I am tired.”

“Even though I’m anxious for answers too,” Rainbow Dash said, stopping to take in the frustrated glare she was receiving from Twilight. “She’s probably right.”

“Yes,” Rarity agreed cautiously. “I’m sure Celestia has her reasons. Who are we to question her?”

“Yup!” Pinkie exclaimed. “We’ll find out tomorrow morning at the Summer Sun Celebration!”

“Oh horse-apples!” Applejack cursed, the fillies giving her shocked looks. She gave an apologetic smile and continued. “I just forgot is all... with all that’s been happening.”

“Fine!” Twilight huffed as she laid back down. “Everypony get some sleep. It's a big day tomorrow,” she gave Gale a mildly-frustrated expression. “And we’re all going to get some answers.”

Gale watched as everypony settled in, seeing no open beds. She noticed the bed occupied by the hidden filly and approached it. Rainbow Dash was the first to look over at the wolf, her expression worried.

“Oh... hey Gale!” Rainbow Dash said.

“Yes?” Gale responded to the rainbow mare.

“Sorry... all the beds are taken,” Rainbow Dash apologized. The other ponies in the room took notice. “You can sleep over here with me if you want.”

“Very kind of thee,” Gale said as she continued past towards Applebloom’s bed. “But I will be fine.”

Gale reached the bed and pulled back the covers with a paw. Applebloom had no time to react, with words or actions, as the wolf lowered her head and bit softly onto the young filly’s hoof. With a gentle tug, the pink wolf lifted Applebloom off the bed and tossed her in the air. The filly’s eyes were wide in shock, joined by everypony else who watched the spectacle. Gale caught her by the scruff of her neck and curled up on top of the bed in a ball. Carefully and meticulously, she laid the frightened filly against her soft pink fur and nuzzled her once. Applebloom looked back at the wolf, who was pulling the covers around them, and gave a worried smile.

“Get some sleep, little one,” Gale spoke softly, her blue eyes kind, and nuzzled her once again. “Tomorrow is a big day.”

“Umm,” Applebloom said nervously. “I’m... not sure I can sleep here.”

“Would it help if I sang thee a lullaby?” Gale asked curiously down to the jittering filly. Her face grew distant and sad. “I wonder how thou shouldst like that one...”

Applejack began to get out of bed, but stopped as she noticed Applebloom nod at Gale.

The wolf cleared her throat and smiled down at the filly, then pulled the covers tight over her body. She began to sing softly and sweetly, her eyes distant, ignoring anything but the little one before her.

Sleep now my little child, you have dreams to make.

I shall guard thy sleep, till thou shalt again awake.

Thy long day has ended now, thy hardships to forsake.

Rest thy pretty head, for as long as thou shalt take.”

Everypony watched and listened as the wolf sang. Her song warmed the room in a way that nopony could explain. Her face was happy but reserved. Fluttershy and Sweetie Belle listened intently, each of them trying to memorize the lyrics. Applebloom could not hide the smile on her face, though she tried.

“Turn away thy thoughts, my love, from the darkened skies.

I shall see that thou art safe until the sun’s new rise.

Please my child, mind thee not the weight upon thy eyes.

Danger shall come to thee not while in slumber thou art curled.

Until morning light doth break no tales shall I unfurl.

Through thy long and lonesome night I’ll guard thee from the world.”

Applebloom’s eyes shut under their own weight, sleep winning despite her foalish efforts to stave it. Everypony nestled into their pillows, relaxing as the wolf’s song lulled them into sleep likewise. Gale’s eyes shifted from calm blue to dim red, her face a mask of ancient and terrible anguish and rage.

“I must leave thee now my dear, my foes I must make pay.

My anguish at thy death is great...

Thy killer shall rue this day.”

“What?” Applebloom asked wearily as she began to stir.

“Oh... sorry,” Gale whispered, nuzzling the tired filly who smiled. “I may have mistook that last part.” She continued.

“Sleep in quiet dreams, my dear, until the break of day.

When thy eyes again open...

Then shall we run and play.”


Author’s Notes

Again another big thank you to you the reader and to Malthusite, my editor. I have been getting such wonderful feedback from all of you.

Also, to any of you who like things a bit more grimdark, my editor has written one of the most gruesome stories I have ever read. You can find his ponified version of Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star), called Hoof of the North Star, here.