• Published 21st Jun 2014
  • 547 Views, 6 Comments

Set Fire to the Rainbow - TastesLikeFry



When things get to hot to handle at the Wonderbolt Academy, Spitfire is finding herself in the firing line. With the help of Rainbow Dash and friends, can they find the culprit behind the attacks before it's too late for Spitfire?

  • ...
26
 6
 547

Ignition

A small chink of metal and the lighter fluid ignited, the small flame dancing innocently against the backdrop of the nightlife of Canterlot. The small light suddenly became a much bigger light, catching onto a fuel soaked cloth.

‘I can’t believe she’s doing this,’ Soarin’ whispered in his friend’s ear.

‘You dared her to,’ Whip Flash whispered back.

‘I didn’t realise this was actually her talent.’

‘What else does the flaming cutie-mark tell you?’

‘Will you two shut up?!’ Fleetfoot hissed, giving Whip a good elbow in his side. ‘I haven’t seen her do this before!’

‘Woo! Go Spitfire!’ Surprise called, clapping madly.

Spitfire took a deep breath. This was something she knew she could do – her special talent. Why should it be so difficult to do in front of her friends? She rubbed a damp cloth over her wings – it would be so embarrassing if she just caught fire. Dropping her cloth on the ground she took a moment to look out over the lake, her toes scrunched to feel the texture of the wooden pier, the scent of kerosene lingering in the air.

She closed her eyes, raised her fire sticks, spread her wings and danced.

The company sitting on the edge of the lake watching her fell silent, in awe as Spitfire moved fluidly with the fire, almost as if she was fire herself.

After several minutes, Spitfire ended up with both fire sticks in one hand. She deftly took a draft of kerosene into her mouth and blew it across the flame and into the air. The kerosene ignited in an orange blossom and lit up the surface of the lake, drawing a gasp from the others at the beauty and danger of it.

‘That was amazing!’ Fleetfoot walked up to Spitfire as she dismantled and disposed of her temporary equipment. ‘Why haven’t you done that before?’

‘Firefly hates show offs,’ Spitfire said simply before gargling water and spitting it out. ‘Oh Celestia, where’s the beer?’

‘Do you need a shower or something? You reek of petrol.’

‘Streamline, first of all it’s kerosene.’ Spitfire showed her the little bottle before dropping it into the bin. ‘Second of all, where am I likely to find a shower at this time of night? Should I just walk into someone’s home and be all like; “Hey, can I borrow your shower?”’

‘I was saying,’ Streamline started indignantly at Spitfire’s mockery, ‘that we go back to the hotel and you have a shower there...’

Everyone scoffed in disbelief.

‘It’s only eight o’clock, Streamline, the night is young...’

‘No Wonderbolt training duties.’

‘We still have two cases of beer, and you want to go back now?’

‘’Sides,’ Spitfire said, after she had a good gargle of water. ‘Showers at Wonderbolt hotels are crap in Canterlot, following all the water-saving rules.’ She paused to spit out a good gob of kerosene flavoured saliva, it obscenely splatting on the ground making Streamline wince. ‘I’d rather stay somewhere like the Prancing Pony – Earthern style showers are amazing.’ Spitfire spat again, trying to be rid of the flavour lingering in her mouth.

‘That can’t taste too good.’ Soarin commented, his nose wrinkled at the smell.

‘Why? You wanna taste?’ Spitfire asked, looking at him through half lidded eyes as she cracked open a can of beer and seductively licked the foam off the edge.

Soarin’ suddenly became very flustered as everyone around them began catcalling.

Spitfire grinned at him and took a big gulp of beer and much to Soarin’s relief turned her attention elsewhere. ‘You not drinking, Streamy?’

Streamline glared at the nickname. ‘I don’t drink.’

Spitfire paused, retrieved a new can from the case and held it out. Everyone fell silent, watching as Streamline looked between the proffered beer and Spitfire.

‘Dare you.’

‘Are we still playing that stupid game?’ Streamline said, uncomfortably.

‘Everyone else has done something, Streamy, come on, I know you don’t like these sorts of things, this isn’t embarrassing or difficult.’

‘She’s got it easy.’ Fleetfoot grumbled, still slightly miffed about having to streak down the main street of Canterlot.

After a moment’s hesitation, Streamline took the cold can in her hand and weighed it up. Slowly, she opened it, her cheeks aflame as she felt very much in the spotlight as several pairs of eyes were on her. Cringing she lifted the can up, tipped in a mouthful, swallowed and choked.

Everyone gave a whoop, and Spitfire clapped her on the back. ‘Ah, you’ll get used to it.’

‘Right.’ Streamline said, unconvinced and pushed the can back at Spitfire. ‘Besides, someone needs to stay sober and watch you make idiots of yourselves, not that you need beer to do that.’

Smirking, Spitfire accepted the can back, polishing off her previous one. ‘Your turn.’

‘Excuse me?’

‘Dare someone to do something.’

Streamline gave a heavy sigh. ‘Uh, I dunno what...’

‘Come here.’ Spitfire put an arm around Streamline and pulled her close.

Streamline tried not to choke on the strong scent of burnt kerosene and alcohol, and tried to ignore the feel of Spitfire’s sweaty, kerosene-y sheen that coated arms from her earlier activities.

Spitfire led her away from the group a little bit, facing them out over the lake. ‘Look at your surroundings, and then think of something that you really don’t want to do.’

Streamline shivered at the breeze coming off the lake and shivered, pulling her wings closer to her body to shield it. ‘I don’t want to go for a swim.’

‘Ok, now we think of someone else who might not want to do that.’ Spitfire rotated them around so they faced the group of friends that were talking in hushed tones to each other and casting nervous glances their way.

Streamline looked around and noticed how each of them refused to look her in the eye. That is, everyone except Surprise who was more focused on eating the cookies Streamline had brought along to be shared with everyone. Her eyes narrowed. ‘Surprise.’

‘Aww, not one of the boys?’ Spitfire gave a slight head nod to Soarin, Whip Flash and Blazing Zip. ‘Alright, well because it’s Surprise you need to up the ante.’

Streamline raised an eyebrow.

‘She would be fine with the cold and wet. Best make her do it naked, and she has to swim to the other pier...’ Spitfire pointed. The other pier, clear across the lake was backing onto the Prancing Pony hotel Sptifire had mentioned earlier. The hotel’s bar was on the lower floor on the edge of the lake, the windows open to let the fresh breeze in and for people to lean out and look out over the water.

‘They’re going to get a surprise.’ Streamline said shakily.

‘A very naked Surprise.’

Streamline got the giggles, this was very unorthodox, but then again it was good, the stress of the evening melted away slightly – perhaps a beer and a bit of fun was in order.

‘Alright.’ She said to Spitfire, ‘OK.’

‘What are you two scheming?’ came the nervous voice of Whip Flash.

‘Don’t let Spitfire into your head, Stream!’ Fleetfoot was quick to add. Spitfire’s gesturing in the direction of the large gathering of people put her on edge; she’d already been humiliated that evening.

‘Surprise,’ Streamline called.

‘Mmmph?’ Surprise looked up, hand caught in the cookie jar quite literally.
Everyone else managed to breathe a sigh of relief.

‘Am I going for a dip?’

‘Uh – yeah?’ Streamline was taken aback, how did she even know?

‘Alright.’ Surprise pulled her socks and shoes and Wonderbolt blazer off. And walked to the end of the pier.

‘Oh, um, it’s a skinny dip.’

Surprise paused as the group broke out into cheers and cat calls.

‘Seeing Fleetfoot and Surprise nude in the one night,’ Whip Flash whispered, giving a small fist bump to Soarin and Blazing Zip.

‘And Surprise? You have to swim to the other pier and back.’

‘Take it off!’ Blaze yelled, impatient that Surprise was standing stock still with her back to them, processing the information.
Everyone hollered as, with a smile, albeit a “Spitfire, you’re dead” smile but a smile none-the-less, Surprise turned and faced them and promptly stripped as if several pairs of eyes weren’t watching her. Turning her back on them, with a slight sway to her hips, she reached the end of the pier, paused, raised her hands and dove.

The cheer started anew as Surprise swam skilfully across the top of the water, fast headed for the other side.

Soarin exhaled, having expected Surprise to have acted like Fleetfoot, all shy with her arms across her chest and keeping her back to them. Aside from a red tinge in her cheeks, Surprise had not been embarrassed at all, but rather enjoying the opportunity to show off her bodacious curves and accepting of the fact she was stripped of all modesty. ‘Well that was something.’

‘Like what you saw?’ Spitfire was quick to retaliate.

Soarin’ blushed. He hated when she did that to him, why’d she have to put him on the spot like that? ‘I-I – um.’ Truthfully, yes. Surprise was fit but curvy, she had trimmed down a lot and lost all her excess weight due to high intensity cadet training, but there was still a healthy weight where it counted, and damn did she look good. ‘No?’

Sptifire rolled her eyes, a slight look of disappointment on her face. What did he say wrong?

‘I-I mean, she looked good...’ Soarin’ faltered as Spitfire’s sharp eyes focused in on him.

‘Bail! Bail!’ Whip Flash hissed at him.

It wasn’t helping that Fleetfoot was making a hole-digging motion behind Spitfire.

‘But she’s not my type.’

‘Huh.’

Soarin’ couldn’t read Spitfire’s expression, wondering if she was mad or not.

‘I thought she was totally hot,’ Spitfire said, nonchalantly. ‘I would totally tap that.’

‘Ooh, I would pay to see that.’ Blaze sat back and tried to imagine it.

‘Pay to see what?’ Panting and with wings held wide to dry, Surprise stepped out of the water.

No one answered her, all watching as she did a peculiar shake thing to empty the water from her ears.

‘Does anyone have a towel?’

~

Bundled in everyone’s blazers, Surprise sipped from the warm coffee. Soarin’, Fleetfoot, Surprise, Spitfire and Streamline sat in the heated outdoor cafe in a bid to warm Surprise up, the others having to leave – they had to make it back to Cloudsdale having not found accommodation.

It was kind of cruel really, Pegasi could withstand cold temperatures and rain in the air, their feathers quite good at repelling water, but dunk them in a cold lake and soaking their wings to the bone meant flying was hindered and the cold took them.

Spitfire was feeling a little guilty she had planted the idea in Streamline’s head.

Was.

‘Spitfire, kiss Soarin’.’

‘What?’

‘I dare ya.’

Saved by the bell, or at least, a pager.

‘Sorry guys, gotta take this, it’s mum. I think she expected me home about ten minutes ago.’ Streamline looked rather nervous as she rose from the table, her palms noticeably sweaty as she tried pull out money to pay off for her tea.

‘Relax, Streamy,’ Spitfire patted her on the arm, ‘It only takes, what five minutes to get to your house from here?’

Streamline had a thin lipped smile on her face. ‘Something like that.’ Streamline walked out, casting a nervous glance behind her.

‘Are here I thought we got little miss uptight all loosened up.’

‘Spitfire, don’t change the subject.’

‘Yeah, kiss Soarin’ already!’

‘She doesn’t have to if she...’

‘Soarin, shut up.’ Spitfire snapped and sighed. ‘Fine.’

‘Do it properly!’ Surprise said as Spitfire rose from her seat and plopped herself down on Soarin’s lap. ‘I wanna see tongue!’

Spitfire promptly stuck her tongue out at Surprise, causing her to giggle.

If Soarin’ wasn’t already blushing before Spitfire took his head into her and hands and practically smashed her lips on his, he was glowing now. He moaned softly as her tongue pushed against his, she tasted of beer, coffee and kerosene and her mouth was so hot and pulled away far too soon, almost taking his bottom lip with her.

‘Sweet Celestia, Spitfire!’ Fleetfoot said in shock, ‘She said kiss him, not eat him!’

‘Eh, go hard or go home.’ Spitfire sat back in her own seat, her slightly swollen lips parting to sip at her coffee, her cheeks stained pink in the most delightful way, Soarin decided. Her amber eyes glancing up to connect with his for a moment.

A loud, sudden rumble caused them all to jump in alarm.

‘Is Canterlot due for a thunderstorm?’

They all glanced at each other, listening for rain, looking at the things on the table as they rattled.

‘Earthquake?’

‘GUYS!’ Streamline came flying in, looking stricken, ‘Fire! At the Wonderbolt Lodge!’ She glanced at her phone. As the others all leapt to their feet. ‘The schedule shows there are several families staying there tonight, including Captain Firefly...’

Streamline found she had to abandon her explanation in the sudden rush for the door. They all took to air and made a beeline for the Wonderbolt Lodge, feathers beating against the night air. Spitfire felt her stomach drop at the sight of the burning building – normally she’d love a fire rescue, it was her specialty. But here she was in a tank top and shorts and covered in kerosene. She licked at her dry lips and pounded her wings to try and keep up with the speeding Fleetfoot, praying to Celestia that Cap’ had made it out in time.

The fire department was already on the scene, and considering the firehouse was situated right next door, it would be ridiculous if they weren’t, but the fire was raging out of control. Spitfire and Fleetfoot flew around the building a few times, pulling people from windows, keeping an eye out for their Captain. It was a good minute before the others showed up, Streamline and Soarin’ having had to assist a wet-winged and blazer-encumbered Surprise to fly.

‘No sign of the Captain.’ Fleetfoot stated worriedly landing in front of the others. ‘Are you sure she’s in there?’

Streamline tried to go through details she could access on her phone – being a cadet with an administrative slant had it perks to access certain things. Her hands were shaking, ‘She booked Room 7B... And she checked in ten minutes ago.’

‘She must be in there!’ Spitfire grabbed a blazer from Surprise and took off.

‘Spitfire – wait!’

Spitfire purposefully shot through the firehose’s high-pressure stream, drenching herself and the blazer before flying directly into the seventh floor through a smoke-blackened window.

Wrapping the wet blazer around her, protecting her wings Spitfire rolled on the floor, causing some of it to crumble. She was on her feet soon enough and stepping lightly to avoid weak points and flames leaping up out of the floor.

‘FIREFLY?’

‘SPITFIRE?! HELP!’

Relief flooded through her. ‘I’m coming, hold on!’ As she drew closer to where the voice was coming from, she heard crying and her victory was short-lived as she rounded a burning wall; Firefly was pinned-down at the waist by a collapsed section of ceiling. With her, a small girl – and Spitfire’s heart leapt as realised this was Firefly’s daughter.

Firefly kept work and family very much separate – Spitfire had never seen the child before, and from the way Firefly held onto the girl tightly, she knew she was precious to her. The young girl was pulling desperately, in a futile attempt to pull her mother free. Spitfire knew she was about thirteen – although she was short for her age and could easily be mistaken for a seven year old. But at that moment, Spitfire had more pressing concerns than the girl’s age.

Spitfire was over, quick as a whip, and tried to lift the ceiling that was crushing Firefly. It was hot and burned her fingers.

Firefly grabbed her arm. ‘GET. HER. OUT.’

‘But...’

‘Leave me, newbie! Get my baby to safety!’

‘But...’

‘If you don’t go, we’ll all burn!’ She shouted, tears rolling down her cheeks. She grabbed her hysterical daughter and kissed each of her cheeks. ‘I love you, baby, be good.’

‘Firefly stop being ridiculous!’

The younger girl screamed as the stack of debris resting upon her mother burst into hot flame.

‘Spitfire:' Firefly spoke with a commanding tone. 'Get. Her. Out. Of. Here. – that’s an order!’

Author's Note:

I christen this new account with a new story and possibly lose any hope of any likes or favourites due to leaving a cliffe and this not actually being an actual RainbowFire shipfic.

Much love to anyone who reads this <3

If there's some unfamiliar phrases or spelling, ie: "mum", please keep in mind I am from Australia. I'm sure you'll get over it though.

Next chapter update prediction: within 3 days