• Published 8th Apr 2012
  • 2,196 Views, 18 Comments

The Legacy of Derpy Hooves - Miles_Valentine



Derpy discovers her cutie mark, finds out how to interpret it and learns to deal with other ponies.

  • ...
2
 18
 2,196

The Mail Mare

Chapter 2:

It was one of those nights, those restless nights that Derpy turned and rolled through all night. Finally somepony had saw past her ditzy demeanour and she for the first time in her life had a real responsibility placed upon her. It was difficult to get to sleep, but she nodded off into dreamworld as her eyelids gently closed. As her mother departed to her own bed, she stopped by her daughters room. She noticed Derpy was wearing her new mail bags to bed on her back, which made her smile a little, gently petting her on the head. Perhaps Derpy would find what she was looking for with those mail bags upon her flank.

Derpy felt blades of grass tickling her back as she rolled around on the forest floor. She looked up at the sky as she kicked her hooves in the air. What seemed to be little bits of paper floated down from the sky beyond her hooves, fluttering down towards her like leaves falling from trees. The letters fell closer and began to slowly pile up around Derpy. As each hit the ground she could feel the emotions of each pony who wrote that letter. Kicking herself onto her hooves she began to gather all of the letters and put them in her mail bags. Each time she picked up a letter the grass beneath it died and withered. She didn't understand why but she kept putting them in her bags and noticed the soil becoming spongy and the grass gradually disappearing completely. Dropping a letter from her maw, she sniffed the spongy soil curiously. Immediately she dove her head onto it and began to munch on it as she seemed to be standing on a giant blueberry muffin. Derpy chewed the muffin and ran her cheek lovingly across it's spongy surface, the vanilla and fresh baked aroma surrounding her. She flapped her wings excitedly as she used her hooves to dig into the giant muffin so she could live inside it forever. She closed her eyes and licked at the walls of her new muffin home, which seemed to never run out no matter how much she ate. Gradually the muffin began to lose its flavour and beautiful scent. Derpy murmured uneasedly as she prodded her hooves into the muffin which seemed stronger and springier.

Derpy's eyes opened to find herself with a good portion of her own pillow inside her mouth.

“Bleehh!” She spluttered, taking it out.

Standing on all four hooves upon her bed, she was quick to rise this morning as she knew she had a job to do. With an air of adventure fresh in her mind she jumped straight off her bed and trotted downstairs. To her surprise, her mother was yet to rise from bed and Derpy found no breakfast upon the table. Derpy trotted into the kitchen, the young daylight weeping through the wall of cloud where it was at its least dense. It created a sparkling effect as the ever flowing, ever evolving patterns of the cloud morphed before her. The cereal box laid upon the counter, which Derpy took into her mouth and placed upon the table. If her mother wasn't here, Derpy would need to take care of herself like a responsible pony. Next she opened the fridge and selected the milk that resided in a purple crystal bottle, which she carefully placed next to the cereal. Her ingredients gathered, she knew she had missed something. Looking upwards at the cupboard she realized that she needed a bowl to hold her mixture. Derpy used her wings to hover up to the upper kitchen cupboard where she saw her mother getting the plates, opening it up and grabbing a bowl using her mouth. She turned to the table where she was to place her newly acquired bowl, but she had forgotten to close the cupboard door. She turned back around and she hit the side of her face on the door, knocking the bowl clean out of her mouth. She yelled out, the bowl bouncing on the table, hard enough to make a crashing noise, but not enough to break. Derpy fluttered down, sitting on the table, tearfully rubbing her cheek.

“Mail mares don't cry Derpy...” Derpy began
“Derpy! Derpy is that you?” Her mother yelled.

With great urgency and panic, Derpy's mother flew from her room into the kitchen, her own duvet still caught on her hoof. She saw a tearful Derpy sitting on the table with cereal in her bowl and spilled all over the table between her legs. Her mail bags were in a pile behind her as she sniffled on her rear.

“I'm sorry mummy... I wanted to do it by myself.” Derpy said.

Derpy's mum, who was in full on alert mode as if expecting a burglar pony, began to try and control her breathing, her shocked expression falling to a more dazed one.

“Oh...Derpy dear. I thought it was... Come on, lets get this tidied up.” She replied breathlessly

Derpy took the brush into her teeth and began to sweep up the wheat ponies across the floral tablecloth, into her mothers dustpan. As she emptied it's contents into the bin, Derpy dried a few stray tears from her eyes with her hooves.

“Now listen dear, there's an important lesson in this.” Derpy's mother started.

Taking the bottle of milk into her hooves, Derpys mum used her teeth to remove its lid, pouring the milk into the bowl. Derpy took her seat and took a spoon as her mother handed it to her, beginning to eat her breakfast.

“I realise it's important for you to try things on your own...” Her mother continued.

Derpy looked up sheepishly at the much larger pony as she paced around the kitchen, her tone changing to a more sombre one.

“...But I shouldn't, because I cant, right?” Derpy asked.
“No, Derpy, that's not it at all! Listen... I respect your need to try to be independent and I will fully support your decision. But my dear, you have to try and take failure in your stride.”

Her mother was leaning over the kitchen sink, looking thoughtfully outside at the wide world beyond the safe haven she had made for her daughter. Her intention was to nurture and support, but not to imprison or suffocate.

“Derpy your mother had to go through life, just as you are. I was a pony who saw the world differently from everypony else. It made life hard when I tried to make friends and nopony could understand me. I also have your lazy eyes, which you seem to have inherited.” Her mother said.

Derpy looked confusedly at her mother for a moment as she worked her way through the meal, as she was still looking out the window.

“You don't have derp eyes mummy, you can see fine can't you?” Derpy asked, puzzled.

Derpy's mum turned to her, and only now did Derpy notice that her mum's eyes were not aligned correctly. She would only see her mummy when she looked at her, it had never seemed to occur to her that her mother was just the same as her.

“Derp eyes? Is that what the ponies say to you? I do hope you don't let ponies say horrible things like that to you.” Her mother said.

Derpy lowered her ears, as she knew that she didn't stand up for herself as much as she might like.
“My friends help me when there are mean ponies.” Derpy revealed.

Derpy's mother took her mane comb from the work surface by the sink and approached her daughter. She then, as before began to comb her daughters hair straight.

“You have to understand Derpy dear, you wont always have your friends to help you. They will try and help you when they can, but sometimes you have to stand up for yourself and be heard. I'm very pleased to hear that your beginning to make friends though dear.” Her mother said.

Derpy wondered if what she had were friends. She did feel at times that she was merely an oddity if not a novelty that ponies put up with. But no, Scootaloo seemed to like playing with her as much as she did with the Cutie Mark Crusaders. As the comb worked its way through Derpy's angelic hair,Derpy raised her hoof to stop her mother.

“Post ponies comb their own hair mummy...”

Derpy's mother paused for a moment. She didn't like to think she was hindering her daughters independence. She may like to pamper her daughter but she knew she had to respect her feelings.

“Mothers with adorable mail mares in the family sometimes like to groom them for work... And there's nothing wrong with that, is there?” Derpy's mother asked.

Derpy's hoof slowly slid down her hair, allowing her mother to comb her. She knew she only meant to groom her because she loved her and Derpy liked how that felt.

“Post ponies with lovely mummy's are the luckiest ones.” Derpy offered, returning her mothers gesture with an affectionate hug.

As she let her daughter take her own mail bags off the table and place them upon her own back, her mother felt a little emotional.

“I'm going to be the Ponyville Post Pony, with a letter on her flank, mummy!” She stated.

Trying to hold back her tears, Derpy's mother merely nodded and offered a hoofed wave as her daughter left their home. It really felt like Derpy was making her first steps as an independent mare.

Derpy proceeded to Cloudsdale Pony Post Office which wasn't far from the flight school. As she passed the flight school, she noticed her small orange pony friend in a line outside of it. Derpy flew up behind Scootaloo and nuzzled her on the head from behind. Scootaloo oofed as she sank onto her rear, turning to Derpy's big grey muzzle as she prodded it with her hooves.

“Hey, you! Your tickling me you silly pony!” Scootaloo giggled.

Derpy folded her wings and sat with Scootaloo, who was poking at the mailbag on Derpy's left side.

“Huh, we never got one of these things in flight school... What did that weird pony do with you exactly? I never saw you all day after that.” Scootaloo said.
“Oh, these? These are my mail bags Scoots, First Class is a post pony and he said to me that I can be one too if I'm good.” Derpy said.
“That's so cool, Derpy! I'm retaking the hoop test today. At least half of us didn't manage it, even by the end of the day, so we need to try again...So don't feel bad you didn't do it. I think they only flew well when you were with them, because you were a good leader!” Scootaloo said.
Derpy was beginning to blush from all of this praise and felt she had to leave before the flattering filly really embarrassed her.

“Thanks so so much Scoots, but I have to go and get the mail!” Derpy said.

Scootaloo nodded and offered Derpy a wave. Those words repeating in Derpy's mind as she left her. She was really doing it. In fact, before she knew it, she was there and her mailbags were being filled with letters for the ponies of Ponyville.

“Now Derpy, I need you to deliver each of these letters and parcels. This is the economy mail, so you wont be under a lot of pressure time wise. Just focus on getting them to the right ponies and take your time.” First Class said.

Derpy nodded, feeling the mail bags getting a good bit heavier either side of her, but she stood up straight as if it was nothing. She didn't want First Class to think she wasn't strong enough.

“You will have to get used to the weight Derpy. You need to keep it slow and steady as you fly and make gentle turns, understand?” He asked.

Derpy nodded her head, her mail bags now full. She turned to face the door and trotted out of it, determined to get a good take off even with the extra weight. Once she was outside and cantering, she really felt the swaying of the bags as she took each stride. Every step threatened to unbalance her if she wasn't careful, so she didn't want to try to go too fast. Instead she flapped her wings in stronger and broader sweeps to lift her hooves off of the cloud layer at a slower speed. As soon as she left the cloud, she felt the mail bags begin to influence her banking with any slight turn she made. It seemed to be a more challenging endeavour than she would have first thought. When she made an instinctive turn in the direction of Ponyville, all at once the mail bags and their band fell straight off her back. Derpy looked down in horror as a few of the lighter envelopes flew out of the left mailbag, whose latch flapped openly in the wind. Just then a rainbow swooped right through the bag and it disappeared completely. Seconds later, Rainbow Dash hovered in front of the mesmerised Derpy, holding her mailbags.

“Well, well, well looks like somepony made an impression on First Class!” Rainbow Dash said.
“Oh Rainbow Dash, thanks so much... I dropped some of the letters and now...” Derpy started.

Rainbow Dash closed the latch on the left mailbag and slapped them back on her back.

“And now, Derpy, your going to go and find them?” Dash proposed.

Derpy's mind rolled back to when her mother told her she needed to cope with failure better and it all seemed to make sense. Derpy nodded in response, going into a glide to land in Ponyville.

“Your right Rainbow Dash, it's all about attitude isn't it?”
“That's right Derpy, now you go and do the job you know you can do!” Dash exclaimed.

Her faith in herself renewed, Derpy landed on all four hooves by AppleJack's farm as she thought she saw an envelope land near there. It was a good thing the wind seemed to have died down or the search would be made almost impossible. Derpy spotted Big Macintosh carrying apples away from his and his sisters orchard. She noticed an envelope was trapped in between two rosy red apples in the one pony yoke he was using. Derpy fluttered towards the yoke and retrieved the letter, causing Big Mac to look over his shoulder at her suspiciously.

“Oh I'm sorry Big Mac, this letter isn't yours is it?” Derpy asked.

The large and strong pony peered at the envelope in front of his muzzle. He shook his head.

“Nnnnope. That's fer Apple Bloom.” He replied plainly.

Derpy knew the stallion was a pony of few words and knew not to be intimidated by him. She knew he was a nice and gentle soul who simply liked his own company.

“Sorry to bother you sir, but do you know where I could find her?” Derpy asked.

Big Mac let a brief smile form on his stoic hard working face. He did enjoy thinking his hard work was appreciated and was aware he had grown to be respected not only on the farm but in the community. He knew this, but it was nice when ponies spoke to him put up with his social shortcomings and treated him with dignity. It wasn't asking a lot, but it was enough to make his day. He broke his objective demeanour for a moment.

“Fair mail mare, mah youngest siblin is in er Cutie Mark Crusadin tree house. You take care now, Derpeh.” Big Mac answered.

Derpy was so shocked to hear so much come out of Big Mac at once she could barely answer him. She had never heard him say more than his usual yes or no answers. It only goes to show that all ponies can change, if they care to.

“Thanks sir...” She said.

The muscular land pony picked his yoke back up and trundled back towards the apple pressing warehouse, his long tail bobbing behind him. If only Derpy could find what Big Mac had found. Contentedness and complete acceptance in his role in society. It was all very well being called a mail mare by a handsome stallion, but like Big Mac, she would have to earn it. Derpy trotted in the direction of the Cutie Mark Crusaders Tree house, floating up to its level and peering in it's window, with the curious glance of a cat. Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom were inside, using crayons to make a sign of some sort. Derpy clambered through the window, before tripping and landing in a heap. The fillies jumped and saw Derpy, Sweetie Belle Immediately hiding what they were doing.

“H-hi g-guys...” Derpy stammered.

Apple Bloom picked up the letter Derpy had dropped and examined it. She picked it up with her mouth and opened it up.

“Oh thanks a bunch Derpy, this is from Scootaloo. She's enjoying herself in flight school and asks if the super cool banner with the-” Apple Bloom started,

Sweetie Belle's hoof pressed onto Apple Bloom's mouth as she shook her head. Derpy looked at the both of them, bewildered.

“It's not a problem, I'm handling the post for today, I could end up getting this as a job!” Derpy said.

Sweetie Belle raised her hoof which had a letter in it.

“Looks like you dropped some though Derpy. It's okay though, I'll get this to Rarity.” Sweetie Belle said.
Derpy clopped her hooves together now that a second letter had been found. She could remember that three letters fell from the bag, so now she just had one remaining to find.

“Thanks a lot for your help you two! I have to go though, I still have a letter missing. I'll play with you soon though, I promise!” Derpy said.

With that, Derpy left the fillies to their banner, which Sweetie Belle produced from under her rear. She sighed in relief as she knew she couldn't let Derpy see it.

Fluttering down from the Tree house, Derpy found her way to the road leading to the plaza. Pinkie Pie was running in the distance across the Ponyville plaza, chasing a piece of paper. She tripped and dropped the muffin she was carrying as it flew through the air in a strong wind. Derpy saw the chance and dove after the muffin, focusing on it. As she did so, time seemed to slow as the adrenaline coursed through her with a deft and precise flourish she nabbed the muffin in her hoof and the letter in her mouth, landing squarely on her hooves. Pinkie Pie had saw it all, from the neatly paved plaza she laid upon. Jumping to her hooves she cantered around Derpy in circles energetically. Derpy's hair was being blown violently back by the wind before the freak gust gradually passed.

“Derpy! How on Equestria did you do that!? That was like full blown Pinkie Sense! Do you have it too!?” Pinkie inquired.

“N-no...I just...I focused on the muffin, like the muffin in my dream... I saw it and felt it and I just picked it up. Oh and the letter too. Is it your letter?” Derpy asked.
“Yeah it is, but wow Derpy... This is a big deal, you know? I dunno how anypony could nab a letter that was going so fast! You must have magic letter powers or something!” Pinkie said.

Derpy considered that possibility for a second, taking a moment to look at her thigh expectantly. Her bare flank didn't seem to think so, but the focus she showed sure was pretty amazing.

“Well I don't know yet Pinkie, but I think muffins help me focus.” Derpy said.
“You can keep it Derpy, the machine from yesterday is all fixed up so I'm not mad at you. I have to go get back to work though, nice seeing you, mail mare!”

As Pinkie took the letter from Derpy's teeth into hers, she recognised that term again. Her mother was right all this time. She had tried something new and she was learning all sorts of new things about herself along the way. She was making new friends and she was discovering new talents. Derpy then looked at the muffin in her hoof and spoke to it.

“Muffin, I'm only going to eat you, when all of my letters are safe with their ponies.” Derpy stated.

With that said, Derpy placed it into her half empty mail bag and resumed her mail route. She had been taken off track from dropping some of the mail, but she would still be able to get the rest of the mail where it needed to be, by sundown, or she would not eat the muffin. With this in mind she successfully passed every last envelope and parcel on time to the proper pony. As the afternoon ended, she retired to her home, with her muffin, bearing news of her first major triumph for pony independence.