• Published 10th Jun 2014
  • 1,349 Views, 16 Comments

An Unexpected Discovery - NigelNoscopes



What happens when you find an abandoned filly in an alleyway, on earth, with no family?

  • ...
7
 16
 1,349

An Important Discussion

I slowly opened my eyes, looking over at the small alarm clock sitting atop the end table at the side of my bed. Six in the morning. I stretched out my legs and arms, feeling the joints pop. I pulled the covers back and got out of bed. My body was telling me to go back to sleep, but my brain told me I should get up, have breakfast, and see how Fluttershy was doing. I wondered if she was still asleep this early in the morning.

I walked out of my bedroom and down the hallway. Just as I got into the kitchen, I was attacked by a little yellow Pegasus. I stumbled down to the cold, hard tile of the kitchen floor as I held the little creature in my arms.

"Sleep well, Fluttershy?" I asked as I regained my balance and kneeled down. She answered with a smile and a nod. She wasn't the best speaker, but her actions always spoke for her. I put her down on the floor again, and as she stood up she looked up at me with a needy expression. She must have been hungry. I went over to the fridge and opened the door. I grabbed what I needed. Lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, pickles. I then took two slices of bread from the cupboard and set them down on a white porcelain plate. It was the only thing I knew she liked. I prepared the sandwich for her before setting the plate down in front of her. In a matter of seconds, the plate was completely licked clean.

I smiled at her as I picked up the plate up and put it in the kitchen sink. At that moment, I realized that there was a lot of dishes piling up in the sink, so I got to work. I scrubbed down to every last plate and bowl and set it all down on a dish towel to dry. I really needed a dishwasher to save me all that trouble. But before I bought anything expensive, I needed a job.

Then I remembered the grocery store down the street was opening some job positions. But all of my thoughts came to a halt once I heard a neck at the door. Who could that be? Perhaps the landlord collecting rent, as it was about that time of month. I walked over to the front door and opened it.

"Sorry sir, but I don't have the money right now. Could I-"
To my surprise, a feminine voice interrupted me. It was definitely not my landlord.
"I don't think we've met before.. What is this you are going on about?" A white figure spoke before me, just a little shorter than my height. She was definitely not human either. She looked more like.. An equine. With a billowing, sparkling, multi-colored mane and a picture of a sun on each side of her hindquarters. She was the same sort of species as Fluttershy, but a lot taller than anything I've ever seen. She looked at me with a slightly confused expression.

"I'm sorry, I expected to see my landlord. Who are you supposed to be?" I asked, giving an equally puzzled look at her, "I think it would be better if I entered, that way we could discuss something very important," she answered.

I nodded silently and motioned for her to enter. She walked through the doorway, making a sound of something hard hitting the floor with each step she took. I closed the door behind her and started toward the living room while she followed closely behind me. I took a few glances behind me as we walked down the hallway. Once we got to the living room, there was instantly a feeling of something missing floating around in my head. Fluttershy was nowhere to be seen. But before I could begin to panic, I saw her little head pop out of the box that was sitting at the corner of the room. She seemed to be scared of our unexpected guest.

"Uh.. Please, sit," I asked her while motioning toward the couch at the side of the room. She nodded while dropping down to the couch, attempting to not make any noise. I could already feel that the reason she was here was important, since she looked almost as if she was royalty where she came from. A second later, I sat down on the chair positioned opposite to the couch.

"I have some very important matters to discuss with you, Matthew," she said in a very relaxed tone. As soon as she mentioned my name, I was instantly surprised and intrigued. How did she know my name? Who is she? I was tempted to ask, so I did, "How do you know my name?"

"All of your questions will be answered soon. Let me tell you a few things first. My name is Celestia. As you can probably tell, I do not live on this planet. I am from a distant world known as Equestria. I've come here because it would appear that you have something I am looking for."

"What are you talking about? I don't think I have anything you'd want.."

"Have you come across anything out of the ordinary? Perhaps someone lost?"

"No.. I haven't." That was a lie. I had hoped she would believe it, but then my instinct caused be to blush. I could feel my face getting warmer. I always do that when I lie. That's why I'm never very good at lying. She chuckled, "Let me ask you that again. Have you seen anything out of the ordinary?"

That was the very moment when the secret was revealed. Fluttershy began to peek her head out of the box. Celestia could obviously see it out of the corner of her eye, because she turned her head almost instantly in the direction of the box. She immediately got up from the couch and slowly walked over to it. At that second, I was terrified. Worried that Fluttershy would be harmed. Celestia made her way over to the box before standing right in front of it. She looked down into it, finding Fluttershy curled up as tightly as possible in the corner of the box with a worried expression on her face.

"This is what I meant.."

There was a pause for a few seconds before I broke the silence, "What are you going to do with her? I found her lost in an alleyway, so I felt sorry for her and thought I'd take care of her." Celestia smiled at my response before speaking up, "You made the right choice. You see, in our world, she was said to be last spotted around a portal to this world. She must have stumbled through it and ended up here. I am glad you were the one to find her, Matthew."

Fluttershy started to emerge from the box. She immediately jumped out and darted toward me. I held out my arms, knowing that she would probably jump at me to safety. She did just that. She jumped into my arms and curled up with her face buried in my arms as she started to pant and shake. "It's okay Fluttershy. She won't hurt you," I whispered, "she's here to help you." At my words, she relaxed. She poked her head out of my arm and looked at Celestia with a less worried look. When she did that, I knew she had developed a bit of trust with me. I had to know more from Celestia. What was Fluttershy going to do without me? Does she have any real parents?

"If you wouldn't mind me asking, Miss Celestia, does Fluttershy have any parents?"

"I'm afraid not. I, nor anypony else, has known of any parents belonging to Fluttershy."

"Any.. Pony?"

"I'm sorry, let me explain. Where I come from, all of the people there are ponies. Fluttershy is one of the many that live there. But sadly, she does not have any parents, so she just wanders around the villages of Equestria."

"That sounds terrible. What happened to her genetic parents, then?"

"I am unaware of that, too. My guess is they just vanished. Anyway, back to the important matters. Fluttershy needs to come back home to Equestria. I am very thankful for you taking care of her while you did," she motioned for me to allow Fluttershy to come with her, "if you'll just bring Fluttershy to me, we'll be on our way."

I hesitated. I was instantly worried about her. If she had no parents, what would she do? It could be unsafe for her. I knew what I had to do. "Um.. Maybe I could come along with her. I am sure she would be a lot safer if I watched after her." Celestia gave me a puzzled look, "So, you'd like to adopt her?"

"Yes. I would love to."

"Well then, I suppose we should be getting to Equestria."