• Published 3rd Apr 2012
  • 858 Views, 12 Comments

Infiltrate - Nevermore

  • ...
 12
 858

Chapter 1

Scootaloo


" C'mon Scoot! We're gonna be late!"

The voice could barely be heard over the sound of thrumming wings. Sweetie Belle yelled again.

"Why cant we just go the fastest way there? Were gonna miss the Summer Sun Celebration!!" Her voice squeaked." I bet AB is already there!"

Ugghh.... Some ponies. Sheesh., I thought. Sweetie Belle could be amazing, but sometimes she was just annoying. Like today for example.

She would never know the thrill of speeding on a scooter. I thought to myself. Of course, no one could go as fast as I could.

" Calm down. We'll get there soon enough!" I yelled over the motor of my wings.

I saw a piece of plywood that was leaning over a dumpster, and turned to hit it.

I smiled to myself as I heard Sweetie Belle squeal.

As we tore towards it, I braced to hit it right, hard and fast.

Time seemed to slow, as I felt my wheels leave the safe ledge of the board. I could feel the wind in my mane, slowly blowing it , obscuring my vision for short instants. I could hear everything, the slight creak of the wagon, the wheels thrumming, but my ears told me it was silent.

Its like I can FEEL it.. I thought. I tried to imagine my friends face at this moment. I giggled.

The sides of my vision were pulsing, from the adrenaline pumping through my body. The ground was blurred, as I braced for impact.

The instant we hit, time regained its power over me. We sped so fast through the alleyway, I could barely dodge the various trash cans and other neglected things left in the small side street.

I beat my wings slower with every pass, until we were stopped.

"Whooo!" I whooped, telling the world of my great feat.

Sweetie Belle slowly climbed out of the wagon, legs wobbly. She took a step and fell over. I laughed as rushed to help her stand up.

Some ponies just cant handle it. I thought.

As soon as she was on her feet again, she sat down, breathing hard. I realized that I too was panting.

We sat there for awhile, trying to get our breath back.

" Do you know why the Summer Sun Celebration is in Fillydelphia this year?" Sweetie suddenly said.

I was taken aback.

" Its been bugging me all day. I always remember going to Canterlot to see it."

She was right. It was strange. Almost always the Summer Sun Celebration was held in the capital. Maybe it was because....

I stopped. I could hear trumpets! We were missing it!

"Get on!" I yelled. I clambered onto my scooter. I could hear the seat belt click in the wagon behind me. We had Twilight help us install them after we broke some stuff we'd borrowed for our performance in the talent show last year.

I flared my wings, turning down a side street.

I felt the same surge of daring as I saw a sharp turn coming up on my left, I knew right where we were, having lived her for the start of my life. Id tried to take a longer, but more fun route back to our friend at the Fillydelphia Fairgrounds.

We sped towards the small chance we had of getting there on time, and I felt my scooter shaking.

Right as we hit the end, I stomped my hoof on the ground, feircly turning us to our destination.

Time didn't slow, but I felt the same effects as if it had.

"Wow Scoot! Your even better than I thoug-.."

OOF!

She was cut short by a massive chunk of ice that slammed down right in front of us, shattering my scooters handlebars. We tumbled and rolled. A loud moan told me that Sweetie had landed hard.

I didn't fare too well either. My wings had been beating, and I had landed on one at an awkward angle. I struggled to my feet.

"Are you okay?" I asked my childhood friend. I walked slowly over to her. She had landed on her side, and was trying to get her breath back. She was going to be fine.

I turned to look at this huge hail that had hit us. It was about the size of an exercise ball, but it had dimples all over it, like a golf ball. I walked around it. It was perfectly round, and smooth, with no difference in the deepness of the holes, or the consistency of it. I turned around, to see Sweetie Belle struggling to her feet.

"Hey, come look at this thing!" I said, beckoning her over.

"Scootaloo.... What is it?"

"I don't know, but its HUGE! Way to big for any ordinary cloud to produce. And besides, its the middle of summer! How is their hail in the middle of summer?"

"Why are you asking me?" She looked up, to see the sun rise above her head. "Aww we missed it!" She whined, holding a hoof up to shield her eyes from the glare.

"C'mon Sweetie Belle, its nothing new. We see it every year! And besides, those rides that we used to love as kids, get boring after awhile."

" Scootaloo... We arent even in the same town! Everything is different here!" She yelled.

Maybe for you... I thought, an angry feeling in my stomach.

"Its just so magical!" She said with enthusiasm. She turned away form me.

I remembered a little bit over a week ago where Sweetie Belle had stayed in our clubhouse for hours trying to get even a spark from her horn.

She walked over to the hailstone.

"Its all YOUR fault!" she screamed, voice cracking.

"Me?" I exclaimed. "If you haven't noticed, Ive been dragging you all around town, all day!"

"It is too! We would've got there if you hadn't done that jump! You made me miss my favorite holiday!" She huffed.

Favorite holiday....?

" And then, if things already weren't bad, THIS had to come and make my day even worse!" She vented.


"DUMB ROCK!" She kicked it. It shuddered.

I blinked, my brain trying to process what I just saw.

How did she...

"Sweetie wait! That thing must weigh at least 10 times as much as you! How did you move it?"


She paused in her mumbling. Her eyes lit up. "Did something go from my horn? Huh? Did it?" She asked, assaulting me with questions.
. Inside, I giggled.

"Not this time, I think it was more from your voice not your-" I paused.The ice shuddered again.

"Sweetie Belle, look!"

Her look of rejection turned to a look of curiosity.

"What?"

The hailstone continued to shake, getting more and more violent, until suddenly, with a violent noise, spikes appeared where the dimples were.

"Whoa!" We both jumped back.

Looks like that things going to.....

I picked up my fallen scooter holding it up as a shield.

Might give SOME protection..

"Hey, get behind me!" I shouted. Sweetie Belle squeaked and dove behind me.

The piece of ice made a hissing sound, shaking more and more violently.

With a shattering sound, the rock exploded, sending shards right at us. The sheer force of the explosion, not to mention the force behind the spikes, threw us back. I screamed as I felt a few of the spikes through the body of the scooter.

Ice thudded into buildings all around us, some shattering on the cobblestones. Sweetie Belle screamed as some rushed past us, to bury themselves in the woodwork behind us.

Clambering to my hooves, I looked down at my right fore-leg, where the ice had punctured. The skin was already turning blue, as if it was trying to freeze. I yelped, and dropped the scooter.

"Scootaloo!" Sweetie Belle's voice was full of panic. "Look up!"

I hesitated.

After what we just saw.. Do I really?

, My skin was rippling, and the blue tint was spreading. I slowly turned my head skyward.

The sky looked like a bunch of dotted lines, visible only where the clouds were.

Wait, clouds? I thought. I remembered back to a few minutes ago.

Aww, we missed it! She said looking at the sun

The sun.. We could see the sun! Where did these clouds come from?

I felt a sick feeling in my stomach as realization dawned on me.. I looked at my friend. I could see the worry in her eyes.

Were we under attack?