• Published 7th Apr 2014
  • 1,473 Views, 24 Comments

Ghost of Parties Past - Sythax



Pinkie Pie died. She didn't really care.

  • ...
3
 24
 1,473

Giggle at the Ghostly

Rainbow Dash lay sobbing on her bed, tears soaking the bed sheets. It's never easy loosing somepony close to you.

But Pinkie was gone. Snatched away in a sugar coated grasp.

Or so she thought.

A cold breeze blew through the room making her shiver. She brought the covers around her tighter.

Then she froze.

Had she really heard it?

There is was again. A hoof on her staircase. The faint sound of someone trying to sneak around.

Rainbow rubbed tears from her eyes.

Who...Who's there?" she called.

The sound stopped. Silence rang in the dark. Then with a BANG! that shook the walls, the door to her room flew open, slamming into the wall. Standing in the door frame was a white sheet, its billowing folds faintly outlining a mare about her own size.

"Go away Applejack" sighed Rainbow "This isn't the time for pranks."

Rainbow frowned. Applejack couldn't walk on the clouds that made up her home.

So who could it be?

The figure had moved nearer.

"Twilight?" said Rainbow. A single glance at the figure showed no protruding horn below the sheet.

"Fluttershy?" stuttered Rainbow, running out of ideas for who the mystery prankster was.

The shape didn't respond. It just glided forwards, getting closer.

"Who ever you are, quit it!" cried Rainbow.

It didn't listen. Just getting closer.

"I said QUIT IT!" screamed Rainbow Dash, swinging a hoof at the sheet.

She expected a collision. But none came. Her hoof sailed right through the sheet which lost all form as soon as she touched it.

There was nopony there.

"Alright, very good, Ha ha" stammered Rainbow "You can come out now"

No reply, just another gust of howling wind.

Rainbow backed up, once again bringing the covers round herself, more than a little spooked.

She turned on her side, trying to ignore the wind.

And came face to face with Pinkie Pie.

"Boo!" said Pinkie

Rainbow Dash screamed in horror, jumping up into the air and zooming out the window.

Pinkie faded and hopped out of the bed, waiting for Rainbow to return.

A few moments later Rainbow alighted on the window ledge, peering into her room. She jumped down to the floor, cautiously creeping along the floor.

Pinkie floated past her and, with as much force as she could, slammed the window shut.

Dash screamed again. Pinkie giggled loudly and glided through the wall into the night, leaving Rainbow Dash quivering in her wake.


Applejack sat at the kitchen table, a nearly empty bottle of cider in her hoof. With a sigh she lifted it to her lips and chugged down the last of the grief-numbing amber.

She heard hoofsteps behind her.

"Probably Big Mac" she thought, not even bothering to turn round "Checkin' on me again."

"I need 'nother cider" she slurred, holding up her empty bottle.

She heard the refrigerator open and close, the hiss of an opening bottle. Somepony sat beside her and a new bottle of cider slid into view.

"Thanks" she mumbled.

The two ponies sat in silence for a moment.

"What do ya think the others are doin'?" she asked, trying to break the silence.

No reply.

"Yeah, probably tha' same as me" she muttered "Why did she have ta go?"

She started to sob more and more.

"She was so full o' life!" she cried "It's not fair!"

A pink hoof offered a handkerchief.

"Thanks" she sobbed, dabbing her eyes.

"You welcome" beamed Pinkie.

"I mean, she never had a problem before!" continued Applejack "It just came outta the blue!"

She raised the bottle and drank deeply.

Suddenly her eyes widened and cider sprayed from her lips.

She looked slowly to her left. Pinkie smiled back.

Applejack just stared for a full minute. Then her eyes rolled back in her skull and she fell off the bench, landing with a thud!

Pinkie sat there and giggled at her unconscious friend. Her face! Priceless!

She bounced across the room and through the wall, laughing all the way.

Several minutes later Applejack came around, her eyes blurred.

She had just had the worst nightmare. Pinkie had been there. She had been see-through.

Applejack looked down at herself.

She didn't bother to stifle the scream. It hadn't been a nightmare.

Tied to her tail was a single pink balloon.


Pinkie heard Rarity crying before she entered the Boutique. It echoed down the street and bounced off the houses.

She floated upwards and emerged through the floor of Rarity's bedroom. The grand four poster bed shook as Rarity sobbed uncontrollably, squeezing a pillow to her chest.

Pinkie gazed around looking for some inspiration. She spotted a line of Rarity's dresses and an evil smile crept across her face.

A draft covered Rarity as her covers were ripped off of her. Her sobbing subsided as she looked around, expecting to see Sweetie Belle.

Instead she saw nopony. The only things in her room were her and her mannequins.

The mannequins that were now moving.

It was subtle at first. They rocked back and forth gently, their trims waving with the motion.

Rarity began to tremble as their shaking grew more violent, their stands banging on the floor.

It stopped as suddenly as it had begun. The dresses returning to their inanimate positions.

Rarity held her breath, not daring to move.

She screamed as the curtains on one side of the bed slide shut. Then another. Soon all the curtains were waving crazily.

Rarity jumped out of bed, scrambling from the possessed curtains.

And once again it stopped without warning.

Rarity breathed heavily, hoping the terror would end.

The room filled with colour as rolls of fabric flew off their shelves, landing with loud thuds!

She sat stock still as the storm raged around her, eventually settling like a new carpet, one that even in the midst of terror she knew would clash horribly.

With a creak Rarity's wardrobe door opened, it's dark interior looming.

Rarity waited, not daring to breath.

A dark shape glided out of the closet, one of her many dresses, its dark fabric rippling. It rose into the air, twirling and spinning. Rarity watched, entranced by the spectacle.

Then it began to dive, heading straight for Rarity.

Pinkie Pie appeared the dress, the fabric flowing around her. She giggled loudly as Rarity closed her eyes.

A chill passed through her as the cloth hit her softly. She kicked it away, her eyes wide it fright.

When she was sure no more spectres would haunt her this night she lay down and cried.

Pinkie laughed as Rarity screamed and ran. With a last look at her shaking friend she disappeared into the approaching dawn.


With the sun poking over the horizon Twilight stood in the library, her red eyes looking down on the three anxious ponies in front of her.

"I'm tellin' ya Twi! It was her!" cried Applejack.

"It was absolutely terrifying dear!" agreed Rarity

"Why wont you believe us?!" asked Rainbow

Twilight looked at the three ponies, their bloodshot eyes wide.

"Its hit us all hard" Twilight said grimly "None of you have slept and one of you" she looked at Applejack "has been drinking, it's just the grief and the insomnia"

"But Twi-" started Applejack but Twilight cut her off.

"No Applejack, just go home, I'm not in the mood for it." and with that she trotted back up the stairs.

"What are we going to do?" asked Rarity

"Well, Pinkie has already visited us three" replied Applejack, watching Twilight retreat upstairs "It's just a matter of time before Twilight gets a visit. Then she'll see"


The sun had broken over the horizon an hour ago.

Pinkie sat in her room, she couldn't pull a decent prank in the daylight, she needed the cover of darkness on her side.

She looked at the glass cups on the table, her powers had been growing. Earlier in the night she had learned how to manipulate her solidity so she could interact with objects.

She focused once again, willing the cup to move.

And it did.

She smiled as the cup rose into the air. Then another. And another. Soon a storm of teacups circled above her.

So she plotted for her next night of jokes, they would be bigger, better.

Ponyville was safe.

For now.