• Published 9th Jun 2014
  • 1,061 Views, 35 Comments

Blooming Fabulous - Pirate



An adult Applebloom finds herself torn between love and family when she slowly realises she's fallen for an older mare ... and older mare who just happens to be her sister's oldest friend and her best friend's sister.

  • ...
4
 35
 1,061

Just To Be Near

Just To Be Near

“Well don’t just stand there, darling. Come on in.” The beautiful unicorn motioned her inside with a happy smile and a quick hug that left Apple Bloom feeling a bit more flushed than she should be feeling. “I’m afraid Sweetie isn’t in at the moment. A shame. I know you two haven’t seen much of each other lately.”

“Well actually, ah was looking fer ...” Apple Bloom coughed as she caught herself. “Ahem, I mean I was looking for you Rarity. I need your, uh ... professional skills, that’s it!” She gave a chuckle that she hoped didn’t sound too nervous.

Rarity cast a quick glance over Apple Bloom, critically examining her the way she would all her clients. “No need to be embarrassed Apple Bloom. I know Applejack jokingly teases me about my fashion sense, but I’m always here to help someone in the shopping needs.”

“Ahm not embarrassed!” the farmpony spat out. “Fashion is a fine thing.” Instinctively she brought up Applejack’s hat and tried to cover her face with it. “I mean, it’s not as important to us as it is to you, but I don’t mean to belittle you or what you do Rarity.”

The white unicorn laughed it off. “I know darling. And you know I love and respect the work that goes on at Sweet Apple Acres, and all you do for the town and the young fillies and colts. Each to our own.” A brilliant blue aura filled Apple Bloom’s vision as the stetson was telekinetically lifted off of her head. “A patch job for AJ I take it?” Already she was turning it over, and examining the garment from multiple angles, making notes to herself of the work ahead.

“Uh, yeah” Apple Bloom nodded, annoyed she no longer had anything to hide behind. She quickly glanced about the room. The front of Carousel Boutique was Rarity’s showroom, her front store. It displayed her main work, all her finished garments up on rails ready to be picked up. While most of her work was custom orders, it must have paid to have some examples of her own work up front to entice customers in. All of the dresses currently out were Rarity’s summer range, and each was far more elegant than anything Apple Bloom could ever get away with wearing. Everything from boots to top hats, all studded in gems. Gems were in this season. It seemed ever since Rarity made it big, she could make gems in if she wanted to.

“And maybe I was thinking of picking up something for myself while I was here too? A new bow to make me look pretty?”

Rarity’s attention was suddenly drawn away from the hat and had focused solely on Apple Bloom. The fashionista squeed.

“Fantastic! Let’s see how much of your inner beauty we can bring out with just one accessory. I love a challenge dear. For you, we need to focus on not trying to overshadow your own natural beauty.”

Rarity thought she was beautiful? Even if Rarity could see the beauty in anything, it still made Apple Bloom happy. She always thought of herself as plain, and being in the shadow of someone naturally graceful like Sweetie, or someone with an amazingly athletic body like Scoots, she never expected much attention. And now the woman of her dreams was calling her beautiful.

If only she was bolder, she would have leapt onto Rarity right then and there, and planted a kiss upon the mare. Instead, the best the farm pony could manage was a whispered “Thanks” and a blush.

A brush was soon levitated over, and Rarity began to brush out Apple Bloom’s mane, smoothing it out and untangling it. It was such a gentle act, nothing like the way Applejack would hastily brush her mane something fierce when they were in a hurry. It was soft, and gentle. Almost caring...

“Your hair is such a brilliant shade of amaranth darling”

“Amaranth? It is?”

“It’s gorgeous darling. The only issue is, not many colours go with it. Other than the shade of crimson of your original ribbon, I’d maybe suggest a pale yellow, or possibly even a light blue if you really want to stand out and catch those stallions eyes.”

“Enope” she said, mimicking her brother’s speech. “I don’t really want to catch any stallions eyes. I’ll stick with a similar colour.”

Rarity raised an eyebrow in response to that, and for a second Applebloom thought maybe Rarity had picked up on that, but the fashionista just carried on like nothing was out of the ordinary.

Rarity soon brought out her glasses as she sorted through possible ribbons. Apple Bloom couldn't deny the fact that Rarity had a certain charm when she wore those glasses. She looked truly breathtaking when she was in her element. The only time she looked even better was the very few rare times she wore her mane down, an occurrence which mostly happened when Rarity got her mane wet.

Several ribbons of various shades of red floated over, and Rarity cast a critical eye over all of them, holding a few up in-front of Apple Bloom to see how they went with her colours. Eventually settling on one, Rarity brought it towards her and began tying it in a bow.

“Is that diamonds in it?” asked Apple Bloom with a hint of panic. The sides of the ribbon had small gems sewn into them, so that they reflected the light and gave the ribbon a slightly glittering appearance. While AJ had given her money for a new bow, no way in Tartarus could she afford something like this.

“Only a few small ones dear. And they are of low quality, just designed to catch the eye with the light. Don’t worry about it. They are too small to be used in one of my main dresses, but on a ribbon, they’ll look wonderful.”

“Still, I don’t know if I can accept this….” Apple Bloom felt a hoof upon her shoulder, and looked up into those big beautiful sapphire eyes.

“Nonsense. What good is being the Element of Generosity if I can’t spoil my friends rotten now-and-then?” Apple Bloom could swear her face must now be redder than the ribbon she now wore.

Apple Bloom decided to dig a little deeper to see how Rarity felt about her. “So you consider me a friend then? I mean, it’s not like we ever spent time together, just the two of us.”

Rarity just smiled as she brought AJ’s hat up to eye level. “Well I suppose family would be a better description? I mean you and Sweetie are as close as real sisters.” A lump in Bloom’s chest started to form when she heard Rarity say she thought of her like a sister. “I’ve known you and Scootaloo for many many years, but perhaps you are right. I don’t know either of you personally. We’ve only spent time together as a group. I know you as Sweetie’s friend or as Applejack’s little sister. I suppose the only time we’ve ever had to truly bond with one another was the night of the accident.”

An awkward silence fell between the two mares. That horrible night was a night neither of them would ever forget. It was one f the worst nights in Apple Bloom’s life. It was also the same night she fell in love with Rarity, but it wouldn’t be until years later that she’d realise it herself.

Shaking her head fiercely, Apple Bloom tried to force those memories away for now. “Yeah, I suppose we didn’t really spend any time together at all, did we?” This was stupid. Really, what was she thinking? She had barely spent any time with Rarity. All she was and all she ever would be was AJ’s little sister and Sweetie’s friend. Rarity must get courted by mares and stallions all across Canterlot. What chance did one silly little farm girl really have in the long run? Did she truly think just because she lived in the same town as her for years, that somehow made her a more eligible partner than a Prince or a Duke?

“And that is truly a shame.” Even Rarity seemed a bit downtrodden at this now obvious fact, although Apple Bloom knew it was nothing compared to her own soul-crushing despair. “In-fact, looking at this hat, it’ll likely take me a couple of hours to sew and patch back up, and I’ll be closing the shop up soon. I could use some company while I fix it ...” The white mare gave Apple Bloom such an amazing grin, she had once again unknowingly stolen her heart.

“Wait, really?” she asked with probably too much enthusiasm in her voice. Rarity giggles, perhaps noticing it.

“Yes really. Unless you have anywhere else to go tonight?”

Apple Bloom glanced up at Rarity’s clock, seeing the hands indicating it was now coming up for half-past five. And for the life of her, Bloom couldn’t think of anything else to do for the next few hours but spend some alone time with Rarity. “Enope, can’t think of a thing!”

“Excellent!” Rarity beamed. “Why don’t you put the kettle on, then we can retire to the lounge.”


Elsewhere, later on, at the outskirts of Ponyville, a table was getting set for dinner at the Apple Farm. An annoyed AJ looked up at the clock. “Dang’it! Where in tarnation has that girl gone off to? Ah told her not to get too wrapped up with Sweetie. Ah swear Granny, youngsters these days ...”

Author's Note:

Slow chapter this time, sorry. The plot will start next chapter! Might be from Rarity's point of view,