• Published 17th Feb 2014
  • 631 Views, 5 Comments

Octaves - The Chronicles of - Victoria_the_dragoness



Rainbow Dash wants answers to these mysterious disappearances that seemed to have been overlooked by the government. Is there something deeper going on here; are they trying to cover up the investigation? Dash will join the EBI to find out.

  • ...
2
 5
 631

The First Chronicle - Chapter 2

The First Chronicle

Chapter 2

Dash soared through the clouds on her way back to Ponyville. She kept her suit on as she flew, but tucked her gun and badge away in her saddlebags. It was a beautiful day. The sun was out and the sky was almost clear, except for a few cirrus or nimbus clouds in the area.

The words that Chief Whitecoat had said to her still repeated in her ears. Don't go too deep into this thing...or you might not come out the same way. Dash shook her head to dispel that thought in favor of seeing her friends again.

She was in Ponyville now and the cyan pegasus coasted down to the streets of the small town. Dash missed it so much. She'd had to move to Manehattan the entire time to work for the EBI and didn't have a chance to see or talk to anypony she knew.

By now, the streets were densely covered in snow and the chill of winter. The apple bucking season was over and the apple cider season was long passed as well. Dash had forgotten all about it until she reached her old home, but she had more important things to do now.

"It'll be good to see everypony again," Dash thought aloud as she trotted along the streets of Ponyville. Nopony seemed to be up yet. It was still early in the morning, but Dash had gotten used to rising up early in the mornings from her classes at EBI headquarters. "Hmm, I guess my questioning will have to wait for later- Ooph!"

Before she could finish her sentence, Dash was swiftly tackled to the dirt by something...or somepony and was now being hugged tightly on the floor. She could only really guess as to whom it was, but she was pretty certain it was- "Pinkie!" Dash wheezed.

"Hi Rainbow Dash! You're back. I'm soooo glad you came back." Pinkie tightened her grip on the poor pegasus with every word she spoke. Apparently even writing often wasn't enough to make the pink mare not worry about Dash.

The pegasus tapped on Pinkie's shoulder in an attempt to gain her attention. "P-Pinkie...you're...choking me." She managed to squeeze out even though her lungs were being crushed by the magenta maned pony.

"Oops! Right." Replied the hyper-active mare apologetically, as she let her vice-like grip on Dash relax. "I'm just so relieved to see you again. It's been like, foreeever!"

Dash chuckled at Pinkie's exaggeration, but she sat up and hugged her back quickly anyway. "I know Pinks, but it's really only been three months."

"Of course, that is a really really long time. You've missed so much. We've gotta get you caught up to speed on all the stuff that's happened while you were gone." Pinkie took Dash by the hoof and started walking with her.

Dash didn't even try to protest, being dragged through the snow by the little pony. She knew how Pinkie behaved better than anypony, and this was definitely one of those times that you just said nothing and followed along with her. "I'm sure you will Pinkie, but where are we off to?"

"Twilight's house," Pinkie replied, grinning widely as she bounded along the streets to the library. "We'll start there and work our way around town until you've met the others again. They really miss you."

Dash smiled softly as she kept pace with Pinkie's bounces. "Yeah, to be honest...I missed them and you too Pinkie Pie."

"Awww, well in that case we definitely have to get you to see everypony again."

"Yeah, just...don't tell anypony I said that." The case. Dash suddenly remembered the list of ponies that went missing months ago. It was worth a shot. "Hey, uh, Pinkie Pie. Do you know anything about the missing ponies’ case here?"

Pinkie shook her head quickly, beginning to bounce forward faster. "Nopey dopey. Well, not except who those ponies were, but everypony knows that already."

"Has anypony else gone missing since I left?" Dash pressed, picking up pace to match Pinkie's sudden increase in speed.

The pink pony pondered for a moment while they traveled down the road to Twilight's. "Mmm, nope, not that I know of. Nopony's been reported missing since the most recent one. Why? Are you on that case now Rainbow Dash?" Pinkie almost sounded disappointed when she answered, but Dash couldn't place what she was disappointed about or why. It worried her a little.

"Uh, yeah. It took a little convincing to reopen the case file, but I'm investigating it on my own. Nopony else wants to look in to or even think about it."

"Woo! That's great news Rainbow! We've gotta celebrate, and I know just the thing." Pinkie exclaimed, bouncing up to and stopping just at the door to the library.

Dash raised an eyebrow and smirked. "A party?" She asked.

"How did you know?" Pinkie responded with a surprised look on her face as she knocked on the door.

Dash shrugged easily, holding in a little chuckle at her friend’s expression. "Just a guess I suppose."

"Oh you're good. I can see those three months of detective work has made you quite the agent, Dashie." Just then the door swung open and Twilight stood inside. She still seemed a bit tired, but when she saw Dash the unicorn perked up a little.

"Rainbow Dash, you're back! When did you get here from Manehattan?" Twilight asked, stepping aside to let the two ponies in.

"Ju-"

"Just this morning Twilight!" Interrupted Pinkie. She bounced into the center of the room and wiggled in place. "I'm taking her around to visit and catch up with all the ponies. You're first to be caught up with." Pinkie grinned her wide grin while Dash strolled in and sat down at the table behind her. “Well, besides me of course.”

"Yeah, pretty much. I'm-"

"She just graduated from the academy and is now an official EBI special agent!" Pinkie leapt in front of her, interrupting Dash again. Pinkie fell to the ground and giggled at her excitement.

Dash just stared at the pink pony for a moment before looking up at Twilight. "What she said."

Twilight smiled warmly. "That's great. I'm happy for you. Have you received your first case yet?" She walked into her kitchen and turned the kettle on.

The cerulean pony nodded enthusiastically. "Yes actually. I've been assigned to the case in Ponyville. About the disappearances."

"But nopony's been put on that case since the first two went missing." Twilight replied, as she poured her morning coffee. Her attention was completely on the two ponies in her house, the lavender unicorn almost spilled coffee on herself.

"But don't you remember Twilight?" Pinkie said, suddenly right in front of Twilight to lift up the kettle before it overflowed on her. "Rainbow Dash signed up so she could be on that case. To find out what really happened."

"I asked to work on it.” Rainbow Dash added firmly. “It...took a bit of time, but Chief Whitecoat said I could reopen the file."

Twilight exhaled deeply and took a sip of her coffee. "I hope you know what you're doing Rainbow Dash. It could be dangerous if you find anything."

"Come on you two, Rainbow Dash just got back. We're supposed to be celebrating remember?" Pinkie Pie yelled, suddenly bouncing around the two ponies happily.

"Yeah, you're right Pinkie. It can wait until later." Twilight trotted over to the stairs and began to ascend the steps. "Hold on, I'll have Spike send a letter to the others that you’re back and that they should come here."

Pinkie gasped loudly at that idea. "Why didn't I think of that? What a great way to set up a party!"

Dash chuckled and stood up from her seat. "Well, I suppose now you'll want to set up streamers and such."

"Of course. Help me with this!" Pinkie replied, giving Dash a pile full of party supplies from out of nowhere. Dash grunted and looked around the first floor. In fact half of the library was already decorated with streamers and balloons and party games.

Dash just shook her head knowingly. She sat down on her haunches and smiled at how quickly Pinkie could set up a party like that.

*****

When all the ponies arrived at the library, it was early in the afternoon. They were all happy to see Dash again and all proceeded to give her a hug when they entered the house.

The cyan pegasus sat by the window now, looking out of the library deep in thought. The party was in full swing, and all the ponies were busy with something. Rarity was playing pin the tail on the pony with Fluttershy, Applejack was bobbing for apples and Twilight was talking with Spike. Pinkie of course was eating some sweets that she made earlier for a "Just in Case" party. However Dash couldn't help thinking about where those lost ponies were.

"Rainbow Dash?" Fluttershy whispered from behind the mare. "Are you alright?"

Dash turned around and saw the yellow pegasi's worried face. "Hey, Fluttershy. Uh yeah, I'm okay. I'm just thinking about something."

"Oh? Thinking about what?" The shy pony asked.

Dash shifted in her seat as the other ponies became aware of their conversation. Rarity removed her blindfold and Applejack looked up from her apples.

Seeing how uncomfortable the pegasus was with the conversation, Fluttershy suddenly became nervous. She took a few steps back from the table, starting to hide behind her mane. "Oh, I...I mean only if you want to tell me."

"N-no, it's alright." Dash replied, trying to explain herself to Fluttershy. "I'm just thinking about this case, I guess. If I'll be able to find anything useful."

"Well, I for one think you will do a wonderful job." Rarity said walking over to stand beside Fluttershy. The other ponies nodded in agreement, and even Pinkie looked up from her cupcake to reassure Dash that she'd do fine. "But for right now, we should all celebrate your graduation and that should of course include you Rainbow Dash."

The cyan pony laughed lightly and nodded her head. "You're right, Rarity. I haven't really been doing much celebrating at this party have I?"

"So what're we all waitin' for? Come on." Applejack replied gesturing for the ponies to dance and have a good time.

Pinkie suddenly leapt into the center of the group and took Dash by the hoof. "Yeah, come on Rainbow Dash. Dance with us. That'll cheer you up."

"Heh yeah. Thanks guys, I appreciate it."

*****

The party continued long into the afternoon and right up to the early evening, but it eventually ended and the ponies had to get home. They all said their goodbyes and trotted out of Twilight's house.

Dash was the last to leave and flew off to her old cloud home. She told her friends that she would begin her investigation tomorrow because she was too tired from her flight back to know where to start.

She landed on her cloud floor and trotted up the stairs to her room. "The girls are right. I can't doubt myself. I'm the best graduate Whitecoat's seen in a long time after all. This case should be a snap for Rainbow Dash...but a Dash who's had a decent sleep."

Dash crawled into her cloud bed and immediately felt relaxed and happy to be back in this cozy nimbus cloud. She drifted off to sleep quickly and began to dream of what might happen in the days to come.

Author's Note:

I really don't have much to say about these chapters do I? Of course it's been a long time since I've worked on these as well. I'm really happy with how it's turning out so far, and for anypony re-reading this I've made some edits on the chapters and will for the next one too. Mostly grammar mistakes and little name things. Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash don't call each other by their shortened names much in the show, so I figured that they shouldn't here either.

Anyway, enough of my chatter. Enjoy! ^^