• Published 17th Jan 2014
  • 378 Views, 0 Comments

A quest to deliver - The delusional pegasus



Ditzy Doo loves her job as a mailmare but she has always dreamed of going on an adventure. The only problem is mailmares don't get many adventure oppertunities. But you know what they say? There's a first time for everything!

  • ...
 0
 378

1. The mailmare

Chapter 1

The Mailmare

It was a quiet morning in Ponyville. The sun had just risen and was starting to bathe the small town in an orange glow, Lighting up the small houses and shops below and casting huge shadows across the empty streets. The world started to come alive. All the birds started to sing, every colour became bright and vibrant, flowers began to poke their little heads up to the sun as if they were gazing at it in awe like a child looks up to their older sibling when they have done something impressive. The warmth came in a summer breeze to anyone awake to appreciate it but only one pony was awake to catch this breeze. The pony in question was a light bluish-grey Pegasus pony with a blond mane, bubbles for a cutie-mark and bright yellow eyes that were in a cross eyed position as if she had a lazy eye. She was wearing a saddle bag with writing on it that said MAIL. The Pegasus was gazing at the sunrise, as it unfolded in front of her, in wonder.

"Wow..." Ditzy Doo mumbled.

She had seen this sight many times before but she never stopped gazing at it in awe. Every morning she saw it and every morning she sat there and stared. The beauty was wonderful, it made her feel so alive and connected to nature. she closed her eyes and took a deep breath or the morning air. This was just one of the many perks of being a mailmare in a town like this.

Ditzy's moment of peace was abruptly interrupted by the sound of a door opening and a small bell ringing. Ponies were starting to open their shops. It was market day in Ponyville so that meant more business for the shops dotted around the town. Ditzy opened her eyes and stood up.

"Right. The mail." She said under her breath. Ditzy reached into her saddle bag to take out the first letter. She held it in front of her, read the address and headed off to the first house on her round. She was well known around the town so she got a few sleepy greetings from the few ponies that had woken up. She smiled and waved back as she walked past them. She didn't dare to fly because one too many accidents had been caused by her flying. of course she had no idea what had gone wrong but that didn't stop her from almost smashing somepony's door down. Ditzy grimaced at the memory as she came up to the first house on her round. It was a tree. A big tree and was also the local library. Ditzy trotted up to the red door and knocked three times.

"Coming!" Shouted a voice from inside the tree. A few moments later the door opened up to reveal a lavender unicorn. The librarian looked at Ditzy and smiled.

"Hello Ditzy." She said slightly sleepily.

"Hi Twilight! I have some mail for you." Ditzy replied and with that she handed over the letter. The letter was suddenly surrounded by a purple aura and floated toward Twilight Sparkle.

"It's probably a letter from my brother. Thanks Ditzy." Twilight said, grinning. She started to close the door but a hoof reached out and stopped it. Twilight opened the door again and raised an eyebrow.

"I was wondering if you had a copy of the new Daring Do book?" Ditzy asked "I've been looking forward to it for months now!" She grinned expectantly at the sleepy librarian. Twilight giggled at the question and nodded her head.

"Yes I do actually. Come in." Twilight beckoned Ditzy into the library and Ditzy followed excitedly. She was a big fan of Daring Do and often had conversations about it with Rainbow Dash. When they were in the library Twilight walked over to one of the big bookshelves that surrounded the room. Using her magic, Twilight brought down a thick hardback book and hovered it over to her desk. Twilight opened a big book, turned it to the right page and writing down a note about what book was taken by who and when it should be back. She then levitated the quill over to Ditzy, before realising that pegasi couldn't hold quills and quickly swapping it for a pencil, and told her where to sign. Ditzy grabbed the pencil in her mouth and wrote down her signature. Unfortunately for the pencil, Ditzy was biting a little too hard and the small wooden object snapped in two.

"woopsh..." Ditzy said with half the pencil still in her mouth. She looked at Twilight apologetically. "shorry I jush..." she trailed off. Twilight simply smiled at her and said.

"It's alright we have plenty more here. One silly pencil won't make a difference!" Twilight shut the book and levitated the Daring Do book over to Ditzy. Ditzy let go of the pencil and grabbed the book out of the air, tucking it under her wing.

"Thanks Twilight!" Ditzy said happily. she turned and began to walk towards the door but before she could get there Twilight shouted out.

"Hang on a sec," Ditzy turned around, confused, and watched as twilight rummaged around under her desk. "Ah-ha!" Twilight exclaimed in victory as she pulled out a small box with a letter on top. She turned and walked up to Ditzy with the box in her magic grip. She levitated it to Ditzy and said "I got this package a few days ago. It came with no name on it and was delivered late at night," Ditzy had now taken the package in one hoof and was staring at it intently. Twilight continued "All that was on it was a note saying that this was to be given to you and no pony else. I meant to give it to you a few days ago but it completely skipped my mind sorry." Ditzy put the box in her saddle bag amongst all the letters and faced Twilight.

"Oh that's ok. Thanks again." Ditzy waved at Twilight and Twilight waved back. As Ditzy left the library and brought out her next letter, she couldn't help but wonder who had gotten her the box. The only time she ever got a package in the mail was on special occasions like birthdays and such and even then they weren't delivered to her because she was the only mailmare of Ponyville. That meant that any mail addressed to her was in her bag she got before each delivery round. So what could it be? What could be in the box? Why didn't the pony give it directly to her?

Ditzy went on with this train of thought for a while and before she knew it she walked straight into the door of somepony's house. Ditzy reeled back in shock and fell over a hedge next to the pathway. The door opened and a green unicorn stallion poked his head outside.

"Hello?" He called out "Anypony there?" A groan rose up from the hedges beside his house and the head of the clumsy Pegasus popped up to look at him. Ditzy stared at him for a few seconds before smiling sheepishly at him and saying.

"Mail for Carrot top?" The Green unicorn sighed and rolled his eyes once he realised who it was.

"Yes that will be for my wife." He grabbed the letter in a green aura and pulled it from Ditzy's mouth. Ditzy climbed out of the hedge and apologised to the green unicorn. He was used to her antiques by now so he accepted her apology and walked back into his house making a mental note to get a letterbox. As he closed the door he heard a shout and a crash. He rolled his eyes once again.

"That's our Ditzy." he mumbled to himself.

A few hours later Ditzy had finished her round and was now lying on her bed looking at the box in her hooves. It was just a normal box with a letter attached to the top. Nothing special. She pulled off the letter, opened it and began to read.

Dear Ditzy Doo

I have heard from sources apart from myself that you are a mailmare and a particularly good one at that. I trust that these statement are true, and I really hope they are, because I am trusting you with an item that is VERY important and I mean VERY important.

The item that you will find in this box is to be delivered to a specific location at a specific time. If you are late then you have failed and there will be consequences.

If you do not wish to accept this delivery then you can take the box, unopened, and place it on the edge of the everfree forest, next to the path, by noon on Friday.

If you do wish to accept this delivery offer then you will find directions inside the box but be warned. This task is not to be taken lightly for once you have opened the box you cannot go back.

This choice is yours and yours alone. I shall leave this decision in you hooves.

Ditzy read the letter twice (she got bored on the third time) and lay down flat on her bed. This was a big decision. On one hoof this could be an opportunity to get away from home. It did sound like it would be a hard delivery. Whoever sent this box must trust her to be a good mailmare to give her something this important. But on the other hoof this sounded like it could be dangerous. the letter said there would be consequences for failure and she could turn down the offer if she wanted. She looked at her bedside clock to see how much time she had left to decide. The clock read 12:01 Friday

Looked like time had already made up it's mind for her.

"Well I guess I have no choice now. Besides, what the worst th-" she clamped a hoof in her mouth before she finished her sentence. one too many times had she said than and one too many times had things gotten worse. She took a deep breath and reached for the box. She grabbed the lid and pulled it off.

Ditzy gasped in astonishment for inside the box was an amulet, glowing bright orange with magic, and on top of it was a note with 8 words.

Ditzy Doo

You are going on an Adventure.

Author's Note:

YAY! my first chapter of my first fic! i hope you enjoyed it. if you have any comments on what you think of the chapter then please leave them below. Until next time!