• Published 16th Mar 2012
  • 740 Views, 10 Comments

The life and times of an Earth Pony. - TheRealShadowFoot



A fic based off of an idea that popped into my head. based on my view of Eq. Hist.

  • ...
 10
 740

Part 4: The Calm after The Storm

The first hour soon melded into more hours, then eventually into a full day of fighting. Both sides suffered heavy casualties as the day progressed. Shadow and his team had barely emerged victorious that evening. The Griffins were tougher than they’d imagined, and went hoof to claw with Shadow and his team for hours. Only after Shadow had caught the commander of the squad in the chest with a superheated ball of magic, did they retreat. The unlucky Griffin now sported a scorch mark where feathers used to be. It looked like somebody had shattered a piece of glass on the commander’s chest. Shadow wasn’t entirely unscathed either, emerging from the fight with bite and claw marks all along his sides and even missing the lower 6 inches of tail hair. He still had the entire length of his tail. But not sported a ridiculous bald patch at the base which he laughed about later. It grew back after months, though. From using so much magic and energy, Shadow was wiped out and had to sleep, so he and his battle-scarred team had headed back to the barracks to catch who knows how much sleep before they were roused for patrol or battle.

North’s fight had similar results. As a familiar voice bellowed his name from a distance, North looked back and realized he was being pursued by Speed Razor, which never was a good thing. Even at full flight speed, North could not outrun Speed Razor’s expertly trained wings. Speed Razor put just enough space between himself and North to do a 180 turn and land a pair of hooves right below North’s right wing joint. It was just enough force to bruise the muscles. North's wings immediately seized up. That was not a good thing. North began a spiral towards the ground, his vision alternating between blue sky and green and brown turf. Moments before he hit the ground full force, one of North’s squad members caught him and eased his momentum just enough to send him into a sort of flip-roll, careening through the underbrush at nearly 30 miles per hour. Suffering bruised ribs and muscles, and his right wing broken, North was grounded for two months at minimum. He’d be orchestrating the ground forces for the next two months, if the war lasted that much longer.


It had been roughly 10 years since North and Shadow set out from home, and almost two years since this silly idealistic war started. They were both nearly 30 years old now, and stronger and wiser than they could ever be had they stayed home. It was high time for a visit to the homeland, so after leaving intel and strategies with their commanding officers, The two friends were given a month’s leave to recover and recuperate after such fierce fighting. They had really beaten back the Old Equestrians this time, when the Zebra clans had arrived two days after the fighting had started. The new arrivals, with their lifestyle of combat and magic, were instrumental in the resulting victory. For now, the Zebras and the local military could hold the line until the Pegasus and Unicorns arrived, and then they would make a full march to the Old Equestrians’ capital, squashing anything in their paths. This war had to be ended now, before countless hundreds more died. There had already been nearly 2000 casualties on both sides in the two years, and everyone was feeling the strain on resources.


As North and Shadow guided their weary bodies home, they passed the time by recounting stories of all they had seen and done and learned, or sang songs taught to them by various friendly tribes. They passed the nights by firelight and food, Silver Platter joining them after a couple days. Silver had lost an ear and almost lost an eye in the fighting, and was deemed next to useless for scouting missions, as he could only hear halfway. It took the trio nearly a week to get home, and when they did they found quite a surprise. Non-Combatant refugees had started moving into their hometown and the surrounding area, swelling the population and economy by nearly double. Along with the influx of trade goods and textiles, many young mares had also chosen to settle down here.

They shied away from the horrors of battle and conflict, preferring to live out their days relatively peacefully, away from the front lines. The new young beauties had become quite captivated by the three returning war heroes. Three in particular had captivated our heroes as well. They were but young mares who had just received their Spirit Marks when they had left their homelands to live here, and had even met these three at one point before. Though time was not so friendly to our young gents, it was quite the opposite for the three beautiful mares. Dusk Glitter was a beautiful black-coated mare with a shocking red mane. Her sister, Dawn Glitter, was a lavender colored mare with a golden mane. And some say the most beautiful of the three was the one who caught Shadow’s attention.


Standing as tall as him, but graceful and sleek, was Lunar Destiny, a white mare with a deep blue mane, the very color of the sky itself. Her Spirit Mark was a sun and moon as one. Her coat seemed to be flecked with silver, but Shadow was uncertain of this. At any rate, Shadow was immediately stricken by her beauty, which in all his days of wandering and fighting, had never happened. Sure, he’d had his share of young flesh, but Destiny’s attitude was not that of a common Unicorn mare. She always carried herself proud and tall, and spoke with a voice and gentle as a summer breeze. Some say that she had traces of royalty in her. But this mattered not to our hero, Shadow. He loved this mare because of what she had done for her home. She led her entire village here, after Shadow had described his homeland to her as he was passing through her village. Some of the first conflicts of the war had started only miles from her home, and she could not bear to see anyone hurt. So with much urging and pleading, all her fellow ponies from her homeland began the month long trek here. Destiny was in her own right, a war hero. The month’s leave flew by all too quickly for our heroes, but there was one last push for total victory and Shadow and North had no choice but to return to the front lines, only a day’s travel away from the O.E. Capital.