• Published 30th Dec 2013
  • 4,472 Views, 36 Comments

The Following Night - WadaGod



Twilight's spell succeeded in stopping Fluttershy from sucking apples dry. However, it did not change the fact that she'll forever be a vampire.

  • ...
6
 36
 4,472

Nightmares

Fluttershy’s eyes opened, slowly panning around the room. She was back in her cottage. She hopped out of bed and quickly trotted towards the full body mirror Rarity had given her as a gift a few years back. To her surprise, Fluttershy’s wings were back to their former glory. They were no longer large, leathery extensions of her body, but instead they were beautiful and full of feathers once more. Her eyes had returned to their normal color, fading from a blood red to an ocean blue. She smiled with glee at the thought of what happened last night was just a dream. However, her smile was quickly diminished as she noticed the faint fangs jutting out of her mouth. They’re still there. Last night may have just been a horrible nightmare but the fact remains. Fluttershy was no longer the pony she once knew.

During Fluttershy’s daily routine, she noticed her animals acting differently around her. They were more cautious, hesitant to be anywhere within 6 yards of here. As Fluttershy drew closer to her furry friends to give them their morning meals, they backed away. Even her most trusted friend, one who was with her from the moment she sat one hoof on land, Angel, was wary of her.

Fluttershy figured a nice a quiet trip to visit her friends in Ponyville would ease her troubled mind. Too many thoughts about what has been happening to her haunted her every waking moment. Maybe a trip to the library will do her some good. Twilight has always had a knack of making things better.

Trotting into town, everypony seemed normal. Rose was watering her flowers as she set up shop, Lyra and Bon Bon were enjoying a lovely stroll through town square, even a certain grey coated mailmare was soaring peacefully through the sky as she made her morning deliveries. Everypony seemed as if nothing had ever happened. As if Fluttershy hadn’t… Enough of that, Fluttershy needed to find her friends, she needed to put her mind at ease, she needed to know that Applejack was still alive.

* * *

Arriving at Twilights library, Fluttershy was hesitant. She wanted to believe that everything was going to be fine. However, deep down in the back of her mind she knew something was wrong. She knew that something horrible did happen last night. If only she knew the truth.

Suddenly, the door swung open.

“Fluttershy?” Twilight began, “What are you doing out here?”

“Oh, um, I was just stopping by for a visit.” Fluttershy could feel her face begin to heat up. What if she knew? What is she going to do to you when she finds out? You killed her!

Fluttershy’s mind began to race. Her pale blue eyes darted around frantically looking for an exit. Her hooves began to shake. She had to get out, now.

“Uhh, Fluttershy, are you feeling ok?” Twilight asked, staring blankly at the frantic pegasus.

“I - I have to go!” Fluttershy darted off without saying another word, leaving the purple alicorn standing alone in the doorway.

* * *

Stopping to catch her breath, Fluttershy finally took her surroundings into account. She was behind Sugarcube Corner, just out of view of the library. She took a moment to collect her thoughts. Try to pull herself together. Why did she panic like that? Did Fluttershy subconsciously know what really happened to Applejack? She needed answers, and she wasn’t going to get them by sitting here.

“There you are!” Fluttershy turned towards the familiar voice, “I have been looking everywhere for you!”

“Pinkie Pie?”

“Well duhh. Who else would it be?”

“Why have you been looking for me?” Fluttershy asked.

“Well I bumped into Twilight and she asked if I’ve seen you and I said no and then she said that you were acting all loco in the cocoa and that she was worried about you and I told her not to worry that I would find you and I did!”

Fluttershy stared at her blankly.

“So what’s up?” Pinkie asked as bubbly and cheerful as ever.

“Well I-“ Fluttershy thought for a moment. What did Twilight tell her? Does Pinkie know? They both know you killed her!

Fluttershy’s face began to burn again as the panic set in. Her hooves started shaking. She could barely breathe. She needed an exit. She couldn’t stand this any longer.

“- I have to go!” Fluttershy dashed off before Pinkie had any time to retaliate.

“Was it something I said?” Pinkie said to herself as she watched her pegasus friend fly off into the distance.

* * *

Fluttershy flew as hard and as fast as she could. Wind whipping through her mane, her mind still ran faster. No more distractions! I need to get to Sweet Apple Acres! I need to know what really happened!

Fluttershy tore through the sky as fast as her wings could take her. Only slowing down as she drew upon the outskirts of the farm. She decided it was best to slow down as to not raise any more suspicions. All this time she could have been panicking over nothing, worrying her friends over a silly old nightmare. Still there was a part of her that believes there was some truth to her dream.

Approaching Applejack’s home, Fluttershy noticed something out of the ordinary. No pony was out doing they’re morning chores. She walked up to the door. Face burning a bright red, hooves shaking, shortness of breath, needing an exit. No. Fluttershy had to push through it. She needed to know that her friend was alright.

Just as Fluttershy reached out to knock on the door, some pony opened it. Fluttershy took one look at the pony and immediately recognized her. She met her back when Rainbow Dash broke her wing. It was Nurse Redheart.

Fluttershy’s heart stopped. She couldn’t breathe. Her mind was flooded with emotions. Nurse Redheart looked into the distraught pegasus’ eyes and then down to the floor.

“Applejack was attacked last night.” She began empathetically, “She’s in critical condition. There’s nothing we can do for her. We decided it would be more peaceful for her to be at home with her family than in the hospital. I was just going out to inform you and your other friends.”

Fluttershy broke down. She crumpled to the floor, flooded with emotions. She couldn’t hold back the tears. She sobbed into her hooves. Unable to speak, barely able to breathe, Fluttershy lost her sense of reality.

Nurse Redheart put a caring hoof on Fluttershy’s shoulder. She looked into Fluttershy’s eyes, tears still flowing freely down her face. “I am truly sorry.”

Author's Note:

Well you guys have been asking for it so I wrote the next chapter! I was at a lack of inspiration and was working on other non pony related things. I decided to check up on this story and read some of your comments and I knew I had to continue writing. I promise it wont be so long next time!