• Published 3rd Jan 2014
  • 476 Views, 4 Comments

Dominus Nox - Golfmann14



In the days of old, Nighmare Moon was banished and locked away in the moon. This much is certain. But what were the events leading up to that pivotal moment? Follow the story of a young squad in the Royal Guard who helped reclaim Equestria.

  • ...
 4
 476

A New Beginning

There it is. Canterlot Castle. The austere symbol of the Royal Sisters’ grace, fortitude, and everlasting willpower. I hadn’t believed my father when he told me it was so big! Not to mention the welcoming cobblestone road leading right up to it. It’s such a nice change from the harsh gravel of our village. It’s even lined with flowers?! This just keeps getting better and better! We never had enough money for flowers to line our streets! Am I underdressed? I mean, it is my first day and all at the one and only Canterlot palace! I think ponies are starting to stare. Wait, did I take a wrong turn? My map says I should be right here. Oh wait. The castle is right in front of me. I hope nobody saw that. I took that map course for nothing then? Ok, well I wonder where the line is for--

“Oof!” Sunset Aegis exclaimed as he slammed into something, interrupting his thoughts and sending his saddlebags down the Canterlot Castle steps. Rubbing his head, he turned to see what he had run into.

“Get offa me ya mook! Ain’t chu got no manners?” the stout yellow pony in front of him said angrily.

Head down, Sunset quickly tried to gather his things as he let out a weak, “Sorry.”

She sounded like she was from Manehattan... and pretty peeved at me. Sunset thought as he meekly replaced himself in line. Today was the first day of training for incoming Equestrian Guard recruits. Sunset had waited his whole life to leave his small village and make a name for himself out in the world. The very hour he became of age, he signed up, air-mailed his application, and was officially accepted 3 weeks later. It was the happiest day of his life. Upon his acceptance, a mandatory doctor’s physical examination was required, but he passed without a hitch. Here at the castle, however, the Royal Doctor’s physical would need much more than a small-time village doctor’s approval to pass.

“NEXT!” an impatient voice rang out as Sunset neared the entrance to the castle. There were only two ponies in front of him as two medical assistants stepped forward, took their information and led them to one of several screening tents for the physicals. “NEXT!” barked a nearby assistant. Sunset stepped forward towards an awaiting pony in a lab coat.

“Name, gender, and race please.” he said, unenthusiastically.

“Erm. Shouldn’t you be able to tell by looking at me?”

The lab pony looked up with distaste as he wrote down a few notes.

“Very well. This way please. Remove all clothing, jewelry, personal items, etcetera etcetera. The Royal Doctor will be by soon to examine you.” the medical pony said, leading Sunset to one of the tents and opening the flap as he slipped in. The tent was a basic army green color with a single table in the center, upon it rested an oil lamp glowing in the cool shade.

Well as far as underdressed goes I guess this is it... Sunset thought to himself, chuckling as he removed his saddlebags.

Just then, the tent flap opened and the Royal Doctor stepped in. Sunset faltered for a moment. Nopony had told him the Royal Doctor was a female! She wore a bright white lab coat with wing slits on the sides, emblazoned with an Equestrian insignia on the front pocket, as well as a grey caduceus. She carried a medical kit on her back with a stethoscope hung around her neck.

“Just try to relax Mr. Aegis. I am simply here for my profession.” she said, slipping gloves over her hooves. “Open wide.” she said, pulling out a tongue depressor. Doing as he was told, Sunset opened his mouth as she examined his mouth. He soon grew bored and retreated back into his thoughts as she went about his ears, nose, and reflexes. “We are almost done,” the doctor said as she took off her gloves and replaced them with a new pair. “Turn around and face the back of the tent please.” Sunset’s cheeks grew red as he turned, his flank facing the doctor. She mumbled and made a few notes as she looked him over from head to toe. “Alright Mr. Aegis. You are good to go. Proceed into the castle. Your first briefing will start momentarily.” Breathing a sigh of relief, Sunset gathered up his saddlebag and exited the tent, eyes blinded momentarily by the bright mid evening sun.

That has to be the most awkward thing I have ever done in my entire life! Glad that’s over with... Pushing open the grand double doors, Sunset entered into the Canterlot Castle. His eyes poured over the breathtaking entryway as he wandered inside. Above, a gold chandelier boasting a large array of candles, flames dancing in the warm indoors. Below, freshly polished marble floors with gold leafed trim around the perimeter, fashioned into intricate and elegant forms around the room. Expensive paintings from local artists and merchants could be seen lining the adjacent halls. Sunset looked ahead towards the large group of recruits in the center of the entrance hall. Ahead of the group was a staircase that led to a fork; on one side a moon, the other a sun. Fine silk tapestries sporting either symbol were hung above the corresponding doorways. Sunset’s attention turned towards the staircase as an earth pony dressed in a sergeant’s uniform, and a wide brimmed army hat stepped up and cleared his voice loudly.

“ATTENTION!” barked the sergeant. Startled, the recruits hastily gathered themselves to attention. “LISTEN CLOSELY MAGGOTS! I AM YOUR DRILL SERGEANT FOR THE DURATION OF YOUR STAY HERE! THE FIRST AND LAST WORDS OUT OF YOUR MOUTH WILL BE SIR! NOW, WHEN YOUR NAME IS CALLED STEP FORWARD! IS THAT CLEAR?!” The group mumbled their reply. “WHAT WAS THAT?! I COULDN’T HEAR YOU LADIES! THAT’S TWENTY LAPS AROUND THE CASTLE! NOW SOUND OFF LIKE YOU’VE GOT A PAIR!”

“Sir, yes sir!” the crowd replied enthusiastically.

“START YOUR LAPS MAGGOTS!”


“The time has come to raise the moon, sister.”

“I know my duties, sister dear.”

“You seem troubled. What is it that ails you?”

“It’s nothing.”

“Come now. It is as apparent as day that something is on your mind.”

“Very well sister. It troubles me greatly to see ponies during the daytime laughing and playing when all they do during my beautiful night is sleep. I go to such lengths to make sure the stars are perfectly aligned and yet I receive no recognition. You are the only one who seems appreciated around here. Farmers use your sun for crops, ponies bathe in it for half of the day and what do I get? The one grandpa that has insomnia. Now how is that fair? Where is my recognition? Where is my appreciation?”

“What do you mean? I appreciate your hard work. I especially love stargazing with you after a long work day.”

“That’s not good enough.”

“Come now sister. Do not be that way. I’m sure those recruits running out in the yard would really appreciate some moonlight tonight.”

“Fine...”

“Goodnight. I’m off to bed. I’ll see you bright and early.”

“Goodnight sister.”

I suppose she is right... at least someone will appreciate my moon tonight. I’ve been doing this for as long as I can remember and I can’t recall a time when I had a visitor during the night. Besides the occasional pony with insomnia of course.

I don’t understand...

Why doesn’t anyone enjoy my night? It is just as pretty as the day, if not more. Yet somehow my sister garners all the praise. Maybe I’m not cut out for this work. Maybe I’m doing something wrong?


All Sunset could think of was the pain. On lap 8 he could have sworn his lungs had exploded. Nevertheless, he plodded on with the other ponies. It had seemed like an eternity when finally the group rounded the last corner of the castle yard, and collapsed in a heap. Heaving and wheezing, they savored the taste of cool evening air as the warm colors of the sunset filled the landscape.

“YOU LADIES FINISHED WITH YOUR DAINTY STROLL YET?!”

“SIR YES SIR.”

“GOOD! SINCE YOU ALL WERE TOO BUSY WITH YOUR DAISY PICKING EARLIER, WE’LL HAVE TO ASSIGN YOU TO SQUADS TOMORROW! YOUR TENTS ARE DEPOSITED AT BASE CAMP BEHIND THE PALACE! THE PRINCESSES WILL PAY US A VISIT TOMORROW SO DON’T BUCK IT UP FOR YOU OR ME! NOW, GET YER BEAUTY SLEEP LADIES! YOU’RE GUNNA NEED IT! DISMISSED!”

Basked in the dissipating sun, Sunset sighed as he looked up at the rising moon. The radiant glow cast an eerie shadow over the recruits as they got up slowly one by one to collect the disassembled tents from the amassed pile. Making their way groggily through the damp evening grass, the recruits began putting up their tents. Thankfully Sunset’s father had taught him how to pitch a tent when he was a colt. Remembering those times sent a pang of homesickness through his gut.

The night wore on as tents popped up one by one and the group fell asleep. As Sunset finished, he felt an icy chill creep down his spine. His head swiveled around, looking up and down the castle. Suddenly a spark of lightning shot across the sky seemingly out of nowhere. The pitch black spire of the castle was illuminated in its ghostly flash. Sunset recoiled. A figure masked by darkness stood upon the balcony railing, looking down at him with piercing azure eyes.

Sunset blinked and rubbed his eyes. Gone. He shivered and slowly shied away into his tent; he lay on his bedroll restlessly, the image burnt into his mind.

Author's Note:

Although these first few chapters may seem a tad slow, the subtle background and hints are essential to the more interesting chapters to come.

Enjoyed this chapter? We have much more planned.

Didn't enjoy it? I encourage you to stick around to see the twists and turns that are still in the works!

This chapter was mainly written by Golfmann14 with editing by MageTrollpatrol.

Thanks for reading! Constructive criticism is always welcome!