• Published 14th Jan 2014
  • 1,552 Views, 34 Comments

If I Could - FriendlyTwo3



If only you could say something to her, to stop her from doing the unthinkable, but it's simply impossible. Human, high school.

  • ...
7
 34
 1,552

Prologue, 3rd POV

Prologue:

He was absent today. Her best friend was gone for the day, and Fluttershy couldn’t be sadder. She had her five other friends, and she held them ever so dearly to her heart, but she had nearly no classes with any of them. The only one she had with any of them was in math. Her friend Twilight Sparkle sat behind her to the right. But it’s math; the class Twilight was always the most into. When they talked, if ever, Twilight would be mostly focused on her studies.

The bell rings, cutting off Ms. Cheerilee’s lecture. The math teacher quickly scrambled to mention the test in a few days. Fluttershy let a small smile grace her cheeks as she nodded in understanding. She had always been a sort of favorite of Cheerilee’s. Fluttershy placed her pink bag over her back and put her chair on the desk. She proceeded to leave the classroom.

As she walked through the halls, she listened in on some other conversations. She’d been raised not to eavesdrop, but the students were talking so loudly anyway; she couldn’t ignore if she tried. They talked of the latest football game, of relationships, and their stuuupid parents. Suddenly, Fluttershy felt a rumble on her left thigh. She reached into her pocket and pulled out her phone. It was him. Her best friend. She quickly opened the message.

Out yet?

I just got out.

She sent the message and put the phone in her jacket pocket. She was always fascinated by the current technology. She was raised on much more traditional ways of communicating; letters, wall-phones, or traveling to the person. She was certainly jaded to modern tech. The front doors finally came into sight and Fluttershy could once again see the light of the spring day. She stepped outside and took a deep breath of fresh air. This was always Fluttershy’s favorite season. The cool air, the new baby animals, all of it was simply amazing.

Fluttershy walked back to the school wall. She turned to face the road and leaned against the red brick. Most days, she’d walk a half-mile to a nearby parking garage where she waited for her mom to get off break. But today and tomorrow, her mom had to work a different shift, meaning she had to pick her up from school. She’d drop Fluttershy off at home, then get to work. Now she just had to wait a few minutes for her mom to get here.

The phone buzzed again.

Sweet. You still coming to my place tomorrow?” Fluttershy smiled. She always loved going to his house. He had a certain. . . air about him. Like nothing could weigh him down. Like he could always persevere. He was like her friend Pinkie Pie if he was a whole lot more reserved. He always found a way to make Fluttershy laugh so hard she’d cry. He always found a way to make her smile. To make her feel good. To make her enjoy his company.

And he did it all without saying a single word.

He was mute. But hell if he wasn’t one of the happiest people Fluttershy knew. He had his moments, like last week, when his cousin Raindrops’ boyfriend cheated on her. He threatened to pound the guy into the dirt. He gets serious when he needs to be.

Definit,” Fluttershy began to type. She was interrupted by a hand reaching into her view and snatching her phone away. She half expected to find her friend Rainbow Dash in front of her. She liked to do that from time to time. But sadly, it was not her friend. It was Sunset Shimmer, the biggest egotist in the entire universe, as far as Fluttershy was concerned. She had the biggest smuggest grin on her face.

“’Sup Flutters,” she said with lidded eyes. Fluttershy slid down the wall a tiny bit.

“U-Um. . . Nothing,” she said, nearly whispering. “C-Could I have that back please?”

“In a sec. I’m just curious.” Shimmer leaned against the wall and bumped Fluttershy’s shoulder. She flicked her thumb over the screen a few times. “‘You wanna go see that movie Thursday?’ ‘Yup. Wouldn’t miss it for the world,’” Shimmer said in a squeaky voice, doing her best impression of Betty Boop. “‘You still comin’ over to my place tomorrow?’” Fluttershy blushed harder and sank down more. Shimmer started to laugh. “Oh my god! You guys are totally doing it! Ha!” She let out a few more barks before standing in front of Fluttershy, her shadow casting over the pale girl. “You little skank. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. No one. Likes. You. He’s usin’ you, Flutters. Face it. You’re worthless.”

A tear formed in Fluttershy’s eye. “I have lots of friends. . .”

“What, like, five?” She flicked her thumb a few more times. “Where are all the texts then?”

“I don’t text them often. . .” Once again, Shimmer began to laugh.

“You are so worthless! You and your little mute butt-buddy better stop with the whoring. You’re making everyone throw up. Your stupid face was bad enough.”

The bus a few feet away started up and the doors closed, the last students piling in. Shimmer chuckled and began to stroll over to the bus.

“You won’t be needing this, will you?” And with that, she flicked the phone under the bus and walked into the school. Fluttershy watched in horror as the big yellow machine moved forward, her phone disappearing under the tire. As the last bus rolled away, she ran over and retrieved the silver device. Only a few scratches were on it. The tire must have nudged it to the side, just barely missing it. Fluttershy thanked god.

Tears still in her eyes, she pulled up her hood. Looking up, she saw her mom’s small red minivan turn into the parking lot. Her phone vibrated once more.

Flutters?

That tear rolled down her face as she pressed reply.

Maybe.