• Published 23rd Nov 2013
  • 293 Views, 0 Comments

Thirty Minute Ponies - QuirkyQuills



Self-contained stories written for Thirty Minute Ponies on tumblr.

  • ...
 0
 293

Indirect

The Prompt: Learning to fight.

The manticore lunged, claws extended as it struck out at a dainty-looking pearlescent unicorn. She ducked under the blow, and in the same fluid motion whirled to deliver a precisely aimed kick.

Such a kick could never defeat such a monster, but it was jarring - enough that the manticore didn’t strike again immediately, instead roaring its frustration at its target-turned-assailant.

Until that moment, Rarity hadn’t known she had it in her.

And that, once the urgency of the quest for the Elements was over and she had time to relax and breathe, made Rarity think.

A kick of such force and precision - where had she learned that?

***

Applejack sighed, shaking her head.

"Again."

"What?!"

"Again."

"I heard you, dear, I just.. but… why?"

Rarity gave the farmpony her most dewy-eyed, flutter-lashed, pouty pleading stare; Applejack stared back a moment before clearing her throat and looking pointedly back at the tree.

"Yer not hittin’ the right place. Not doin’ as much as y’could."

"I got the apples down!" Rarity cried, stomping an indignant hoof. Applejack smiled, shaking her head.

"Y’got some of ‘em down. Look, sugarcube." Applejack trotted to another tree, turning and bucking as she reached it. When her hooves thudded against the trunk, the entire tree trembled; a moment later the apples fell.

All of them.

"See?" Applejack smiled at Rarity’s stunned expression. "Everything’s got a vulnerable spot y’wanna aim for. We Earth Ponies are good at feelin’ it out, but you - y’got a real sharp eye, y’can get it."

"Oh." Rarity nodded a bit, turning to regard the tree. "I see. Well, I suppose I can try. But really, Applejack, are you certain you want my help with all this, at this rate?"

"Yes ma’am. It has to be you."

***

"Careful now," Applejack said. "Loose branches on this one. Sometimes they swing an’ hit."

"I see," Rarity grumbled, eying the tree as she would a set of stirrup pants or a cowl-necked sweater. Still, she approached the tree and turned to buck.

Precise spot. The tree trembled, and the apples came down - all of the apples - just as one of the lower branches bounced and smacked smartly against Rarity’s haunch.

"Oooh!" She leaped forward with a squeal and whirled to face the tree, scowl deepening at Applejack’s low chuckle. "Really Applejack!"

"Sorry." The farmpony did not sound apologetic, and Rarity gave a dainty snort as she glared. "Y’just gotta watch - every movement counts."

"Mm." Rarity stalked away, eying the next tree sidelong. "I see. Well. Any more attacking trees?"

"Well, sometimes. Y’gotta watch."

"I see." Rarity sighed, looking suspiciously at the tree as she approached. "And let me guess - it has to be me?"

"For this? Eeyup. You."

***

A branch swinging low. A manticore’s paw.

A sturdy treetrunk. A leonine face.

Several days of Applejack asking for her help.

A strange coincidence?

Rarity mulled all this over as she walked up the path. Applejack was in the fields, as always; when she reached her, Rarity watched a moment in silence before walking to a tree herself, turning to buck.

A precise hit that resulted in a rain of apples.

A low-swinging branch she easily ducked.

"Applejack," she said after a moment. "All those times you called me out here, to work with the trees. Were you trying to show me… something else?"

Applejack paused, head tilting.

"Lady like you," she said slowly. "Pretty, posh, foofy-lookin’ lady pony. Probably out to some cities soon. On her own. Wild places - I ever tell you about Manehatten? So… few things might be useful t’know."

"Ah." Rarity nodded. "And you were… uncharacteristically indirect because…?"

"Thought you’d say no," Applejack said. "I mean… not really a foofy kinda hobby."

"I suppose not," Rarity said. Then she grinned, head tilting. "But it is very fashionable. So, Applejack - anything you know aside from kicking?"

Rarity reared, forehooves cocked in a boxing stance; Applejack stared at her a moment and then chuckled, coming forward.

"Like this. No, left hoof up like yer aimin’ for a dragon’s snoot…."