• Published 28th Oct 2013
  • 370 Views, 8 Comments

The Last Crusade - SunDrifter



Scootaloo finally finds a family and moves from Ponyville. But when she comes back, and the crusaders already have what they were so ardent to find; they decide to go on a camping trip. Their "Last Crusade" to relive their friendship from o

  • ...
2
 8
 370

The Prologue

Chapter 1

Prologue

“Thanks for coming crusaders. Babs even made it!” Apple bloom announced.

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world cousin!” Apple Bloom would smile at Bab seed, who just blew the bang from her eye. Smiling lightly back at her cousin.

The room had been set up perfectly for the meeting. The place recently cleaned from last week’s ‘Rainbow Dash fan club meeting’ that Scootaloo had hosted, and they may have done a little too much. When they had finished it was trashed. Apple Bloom would look over the outline, written in colorful crayon.

She would smile and says aloud, “Now for our attendance. Scootaloo!” The Peach filly with her hot pink mane would lift her hoof.

“Here!”

“Sweetie Belle!” The white mare would lift her hoof as well, “Here!” Apple Bloom would smile, marking the attendance as such. Though it was obvious she still counted such.

Rules are rules. “Apple Bloom!” Apple Bloom would raise her own hoof, “I am here.” Babs would giggle, “You called yo’self silly.”

The whole group would giggle at this too, and Apple bloom would pull out another paper, the cover colorful and decorated with crayon, marker; Glitter.

Apple bloom would clear her voice, “Next order of business. My Cousin Babs here is here with her family for the week. We have to ask our family to spend the night at my farm, so that we can do another crusade. To find our cuti-“


“Hey Scootaloo, I don’t think you ever told us about your family.” Apple Bloom said in a curious tone.

“Yeah, tell us Scootaloo. How come you never talk about your parents?” Sweetie Bell squeaked.

Scootaloo closed her eyes, choking on her words. “I. . . I don’t have any.”

“What do you mean you don’t have a family?” Sweetie Belle asked her.

Walking over slowly, looking to see the sadness that was slowly creeping onto Scootaloo’s face. The peach pony would just look to her friend, and would than look to the entire group. They looked at her anticipating a story, and Scootaloo knew she had to give one.

“I. . . . I never had one. I live in the Foster Home.” The fillies would gasp at the thought.

They never knew Scootaloo lived there. Matter of fact, they felt bad that they never even tried to find out. As Apple Bloom stepped from her pedestal to go to comfort her friend; a voice, normally silent in these situations spoke,

“Well what do you do for days like Hearth’s Warming? Do you not celebrate it?” Bab Seed would blow her bang from her face as she spoke up.

Moving closer to the friend, who just shrugged off Apple bloom’s hoof from her shoulder; biting her lips to the question but she smiled and gave a half hearted laugh.

“Of course I celebrate it; I just don’t do it with my parents or anything like that. Every pony in the home gets one gift a year. Well from the house. Last year I got a new scooter from the home, and even Rainbow Dash gave me a pair of her old goggles. It was awesome.” Scootaloo smiling to the memory she relived, as she looked at the goggles hanging around the handle bar of her scooter, parked lazily outside the club house.

“Do you know where they are?” Apple Bloom asked, wanting to help.
“No I don’t. I don’t know if they went somewhere else, left me alone or even…” Scootaloo stopped, biting her lip with tears streaming down her soft cheeks.

Bab Seed looked at Scootaloo with a smile crossing her face. “Come with me.”

As Scootaloo went to follow Bab Seed, Bab Seed would stop, and would turn to Apple bloom. Whispering her ear, a smile would spread on Apple Bloom’s face as she nodded excitedly at Babs.

“Where are we going Babs?” Scootaloo asked as they continued walking.

Her hoof pushing the scooter, almost wishing she was riding it instead. But her friend would continue walking, and turns blowing the bang from her eye, like she did so often,

“You’ll see.” As they encountered the Apple’s home, Bab Seed would lift her hoof to Scootaloo.

"Wait here.” Scootaloo would pout and would sit on her scooter; waiting outside. As she was watching, the other filly would go into the door.

After what seemed like forever, Babs finally returned with Applejack, Bab’s mother, and father.

“What’s going on?” Scootaloo asked; puzzled as can be.

Bab’s parents would just look at each other with a large grin on their muzzles then look back to Scootaloo.

“How would you like to come live with us?” Scootaloo’s jaw would just drop to the thought of it.

Applejack would say “We were all talking and thought you deserved a proper home to lay your head at. We don’t have enough bits to support you properly then Bab’s parents said they would gladly give you a room and bed. Three square meals, a good school, a soft bed, your own room; yup! That sounds just about right."

“I don’t know what to say.” Scootaloo would look to the two grown ponies. Who just smiled back at her, the Father putting his hoof around his wife’s shoulder.

“What do you say Scootaloo? Come to Manehattan with us? Babs can even show you around.” Bab Seed would smile, and nod. Scootaloo grew a smile on her muzzle and would jump around excited shouting “Yay! Yay! Yay!”

Scootaloo suddenly would stop and look to Bab Seed, then turns to look at the other two crusaders who had caught up, smiling at her.

“But what about my friends and Rainbow Dash?” The two parents would look at each other, then back to Scootaloo.

“It is your decision Scootaloo. You can come with us, but only if you want to. We understand this is a big change, but we will gladly accept you into our home.” The Father would move his hoof from his wife to put on Scootaloo’s shoulder.

The Peach pony looked to the three crusaders, but her eyes would gaze at the sky. Seeing a rainbow stretch across the sky, she did not know if it was her idol or just her imagination.

“I. . . .Uh. “Scootaloo would ponder.

Thinking more and more; it was such a difficult choice. She knew it was the best for her to get out of the home, but her friends would be far away. Babs did visit often, but not often as Scootaloo would be use to. The young filly would look back up to the three standing in front of her. The family seemed so welcoming, so loving. So much like home, like she always wanted, like she always dreamed of.

“I will go with you.” The Father and Mother would smile at their new addition. “Welcome to the family Scootaloo.”


“Careful Scootaloo, you don’t want to break the frame.” Scootaloo finally had a real home. The filly ran to the carriage holding the large framed poster of her idol. She was about to get out of the community house and have a real home.

Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Babs shared the excitement for Scootaloo by helping her move her things from her old room. She did not have much, just a few posters, her scooter, Rainbow Dash’s old goggles, and a few trophies and trinkets that most young children collected.

One of the caretakers would go to speak to Bab's father. “We will miss her, but it is great to finally get her a home. Watch out, she could be quite the handful.”

The Father smiled at Scootaloo and stated “We will. I am quite happy she said yes. She seems like quite the bright one.” The peach pony was laughing with the other three, showing off the goggles to her friends.

“So you are going to live with Babs?” Sweetie Belle asked, smiling as she gave the goggles back to her friend.

“Yeah, her parents even offered me my own room! You know that?” Scootaloo would say with a bright smile, but it would lower a little, catching Apple Bloom’s attention.

“Don’t you worry Scootaloo, we will still keep in touch. Promise to keep writing me, and you help Babs in our Manehattan division.” Scootaloo smiled and gave her friends a hug.

“Don’t worry. I will.” Bab's father would call out for Scootaloo, making the peach pony look back.

“I got to go. Bye, until we meet again!” She would smile and the group would hug one more time before Scootaloo would go to enter the Carriage.

They would wave to each other as the carriage took off, and both Sweetie Belle and Apple bloom had a large smile. They will see their friend again, to see her flying in on her scooter. They didn't know when they would see her, but they couldn't wait until that day came.