• Published 2nd Mar 2012
  • 1,586 Views, 13 Comments

Smiles for Derpy Hooves - Pony Sigma



Pinkie Pie finds Derpy crying. To cheer her up, she invites her to make muffins at the bakery.

  • ...
2
 13
 1,586

Surprise

The next attempt at preparing muffins was somewhat more successful, although rather fewer blueberries went into the mix than originally planned. By the time two trays of muffins- one Pinkie’s expert creation and the other Derpy’s...slightly less expert work- went into the oven, most of the bright berries were already in Derpy’s belly. But neither pony cared much about that when the kitchen started to smell wonderfully of blueberry muffins.
Mrs. Cake poked her head through the door.
“Pinkie, dearie, you really should get ready! The guards will be here any minute now! Oh!” She gasped when she saw the mess in the kitchen. “Clean this up, Pinkie, quickly, we can't have them thinking we're untidy!”
“Okie-dokie-lokie! We'll get right on it! Don't you worry about a thing!” Pinkie assured her. Mrs. Cake turned to leave and narrowly avoided colliding with Twilight Sparkle.
“Pinkie Pie! Spike just got a letter— the Princess is coming! We have to get ready!” Twilight announced, “She says she wants to see us! I've already told the others, they should be here soon.”
She looked around at the fallen piles of pans, spilled batter, and smashed berries.
“It's such a mess in here! It can't be a mess if the Princess is coming!” Twilight deftly levitated the bowls and plates back into their cabinets and drawers. Finally, looking up, she noticed the grey pegasus who was currently fixated on blowing bubbles with the dish soap.
“Pinkie, what are you doing? Why is she in here?”
“We’re baking muffins! Derpy here loves muffins! I love muffins too. Almost as much as I love cupcakes!” Pinkie told her.
Derpy turned around at the sound of her name.
“The Princess! I want to see the Princess!” she exclaimed, looking hopefully at Twilight.
“Oh... I don't know if that would work...” Twilight began cautiously. She didn’t want to upset Derpy, but the idea of the awkward, clumsy pegasus possibly wreaking inadvertent havoc on this surprise royal visit was enough to set her mane on edge.
“Come on, Twilight, of course she can stay,” Pinkie protested, oblivious to the reason for Twilight’s hesitation. “Maybe the Princess would like one of the muffins we made! They’ll be done really soon”
“Yay! Muffins!” Derpy cheered, leaping into the air and turning a half-flip before crashing back down, knocking a rolling pin off the counter. It tumbled to the floor with a loud thud.
“Oops. I’ll get that!” she said, putting it back on the counter.
“She’s not so bad. What’s the worst that could happen?” Pinkie said, already bouncing out of the kitchen, “Come on, Derpy, I need to get my party cannon!”
Derpy squeaked happily and skipped after her. Twilight stared after them.
“Party cannon?”
“Yep!” Pinkie reappeared after an impossibly short time with a brightly colored red-and-yellow cannon.
“If the Princess is coming, we should have a party!” She wheeled the party cannon out into the bakery, where the Cakes were frantically pacing the shop, adjusting tables and chairs and anything that seemed to be even minutely out of place.
“Pinkie, this really isn’t the time...” Mr Cake began.
“Whadd’ya mean? It’s always the time for a party!” Before she could be stopped, Pinkie had aimed the cannon at the ceiling and fired it. Streamers and balloons shot out, filling the room with perfectly arranged party decor within moments. Twilight sighed and hoped the Princess wouldn’t be too annoyed at this sudden change in plans, although somewhere in her mind she did know that Celestia would appreciate mostly anything she and her friends did for her.
Derpy bounced cheerfully around the room, blowing on a party whistle.
“Parties and muffins and the Princess!” she sang. Twilight shook her head. It was no use arguing with Pinkie, and anyway, she couldn’t send Derpy away now. She just prayed that the royal visit wouldn’t end in disaster.