• Published 22nd Sep 2013
  • 2,105 Views, 9 Comments

To Love a Mailpony - Real_SilentPony



Ditzy Doo cares deeply for her colleague mailpony. Is today the day she takes a chance? Caramel/Ditzy Doo Derpy Hooves

  • ...
1
 9
 2,105

Chapter 2

“Ditzy?” A soft voice whispered in her ear. The sleeping mare’s ear twitched and she groaned and rolled over. Something warm was pressed against her and she embraced it. Somepony chuckled and repeated, “Hey Ditzy Doo, wake up.”

The mailpony opened a single eye and a blurry figure before her slowly resolved into an older blue mare. This mare wore thick rimmed black glasses and her once jet-black mane had streaks of silver in it. It took a moment for Ditzy to realize she knew this pony; she worked for this pony. Her second eye opened wide and Ditzy quickly sat up, gasping.

“Mrs. Stamp!” Ditzy squeaked, “I fell asleep. Am I late? I’m sorry! Please don’t fire me!” the amused grin on the older pony’s face told Ditzy she meant no such reprimand. Mrs. Stamp coughed into her hoof and pointed at the couch. Ditzy was aware of the warmth she had felt in her sleep was still pressed against her. A deep blush stung the mailpony’s face and she slowly looked down to see Caramel curled up next to her. Ditzy’s mouth fell open and she knew her eyes had done that derpy thing.

“No, no-no-no-no-no.” Ditzy quickly stood up, “Nothing….nothing happened I swear! He…I mean I…it was early… and no key…uh…hot chocolate?” The older pony chuckled at the stuttering Pegasus and shook her head.

“Relax, Ditzy Doo.” She nodded towards the still burning fire, “It’s only seven thirty. You still have time before you start your rounds. I do need Caramel up though. But you two do make a cute couple.” Her boss walked away towards the back of the office,”Always wondered when you two would get together…”

Ditzy found herself blushing madly and gently tried to pull away from Caramel. Sadly she did not go unnoticed and Caramel’s soft blue eyes flickered open. Ditzy’s golden-amber eyes met his and she managed a shy smile.

“Ditzy?” Caramel whispered and smiled happily, “Is it time for work?”

“Mrs. Stamp needs you at the front desk.” Ditzy said, and stood slowly, “I’ll come with you.” Caramel laid his head back on the couch for another moment. His glance found Ditzy’s now dry winter clothes a few feet from the fire.

“ya’lls jacket is old.” He whispered, “I need ta’ get ya' a new one.”

“…what?” Ditzy asked a bemused smile on her lips. Caramel quickly stood and sputtered.

“I uh, I gotta’ go.” He said quickly “work n’ all.” He trotted over to the door but stopped. He glanced over his shoulder and smiled softly, “I had a nice time this morning. We should do it again.” Then he was gone; out of sight around the corner.
Ditzy found herself rooted to the floor. Caramel wanted to…cuddle again. A burning blush kissed the grey pony’s cheeks and she smiled a dopey, dreamy smile. Her eyes crossed and for the first time today she couldn't have cared less. Was it possible Caramel felt the same? Ditzy had met his cousin AppleJack at the Nightmare Night festival a few months back. The farm pony had been incredibly kind and understanding when Ditzy had mistaken a red drainage plug for an apple. After that Ditzy had been so embarrassed and ashamed she had gone straight home. But like every one of her problems that had been solved in the last two years, Caramel had been there. His kind voice had eventually gotten Ditzy out of her house and back to the festival. The two had danced all night; it was the first time Ditzy had ever slow-danced with anypony. It had been a night she would cherish her whole life.

But surely Caramel was just doing the neighborly thing, right? After all, the huge red stallion, Big Macintosh, had offered free hay rides to all the little fillies and colts in town. And Applejack had been so forgiving. Perhaps being kind and understanding simply ran in the Apple family. Ditzy found her mood darkened by this thought. If it was true Caramel’s kindness was simply a result of his family values and not an attraction to her…Ditzy sighed and kicked the floor absently.
The grey mailpony took a deep breath to calm herself and followed her friend to the back rooms. When she walked in Caramel was listening to Mrs. Stamp list the day’s activities even as he followed along with a clipboard. Ditzy walked up and sat next to Caramel. The two smiled bashfully at each other, and Ditzy found herself lost in his soft blue eyes.
“Ahem.” Mrs. Stamp coughed again and smiled knowingly, “Settle down kids. The day is just starting.” The two younger ponies blushed madly and made sure not to make any eye contact. Ditzy found it hard to breath. She could smell Caramel from where she sat; it was a mind-muddling blend of peppermint and apples. It certainly was intoxicating. All she could think about was Caramel and cuddling…and kissing…and…

Ditzy shook her head before the image could solidify in her mind. Mrs. Stamp finished her briefing and left to begin her daily activities. Caramel looked over at Ditzy and smiled shyly. He slowly placed a hoof on hers and suddenly the mailpony’s eyes were drawn to the colt’s sapphire eyes. The smile fell from the would-be farmer’s face to be replaced with a serious, determined look. He opened his mouth to say something but hesitated. Caramel saw the nervous look in Ditzy’s eyes. The mailpony felt a horribly familiar headache; her eyes were beginning to go crossed.

“Ditzy I-”

“Hey!” Mrs. Stamp’s face poked through the door, “Hop to it you two! Mail isn’t going to deliver itself!” the two ponies broke apart in an instant. After a moment Ditzy looked up at Caramel.

“After work?” She whispered. He smiled at her.

“After work.” He agreed. Ditzy smiled back and blushed. The two remained silent for a moment until Caramel remembered he had work to do.

“Right, so, Imma’ go to the front desk.” He handed the clipboard over to Ditzy, “Here ya’ go. Looks like only three bags o’ mail today. Should be done just after lunch.”

At this Ditzy smiled gratefully. It was far too cold outside to spend all day delivering mail. Somepony needed to cuddle with her before the day was over, and she was determined to see it happen.

00000000000000

Once outside the mail office, all thoughts of Caramel froze in her mind. The cold bit into her and she shivered. Even with the gently warm clothing around her all she could think about was cuddling with Caramel and drinking hot chocolate. The mailpony was so caught up in her thoughts she almost flew directly into a leafless tree. A heartbeat before collision, Ditzy managed to fly just to the side and passed by un-harmed. She glanced at the delivery list wrapped around her leg and gently tilted her wings to one side, angling towards her destination. Her mind drifted back to the delicious hot chocolate Caramel had brought her. Ditzy smiled.

Ditzy flew through the chilled air of Ponyville with a noticeable spring in her wings. The sun had warmed the town and the wind had finally ceased its howling. Many more of the ponies were awake and going about their daily duties. Ditzy waved happily to a few choice mares as she flew by.

Her first delivery took her to the House of Blues, the one-stop-shop music store and dance club of Ponyville. As expected, the store’s owner, Vinyl Scratch, was having another heated debate with her on-again, off-again coltfriend NoteWorthy. The two fought all the time and had break-ups every other week, but no pony was foolish enough to believe they wouldn’t be together again before too long. For as much as the two seemed to hate one another, they loved all the harder. Ditzy had seen them a few times in the town, apparently on dates, and she had to admit, they were a beautiful couple. As Ditzy slowly opened the door she heard the tail end of their daily argument.

“…elling you, a piano-duel night is just what this town needs!” NoteWorthy snapped.

“Sure, a bunch of stuffy square ponies playing square pieces everpony has heard a thousand times.” Vinyl countered, “We need to energize this town, not put it to sleep. I’ll just spin my beats like always.”

“Ponies get tired of heavy base, you know?” NoteWorthy sighed and turned to the front door, “Oh hey, Ditz. Got something?” Vinyl shoved the jazz pony out of the way.

“Ditzy! Yo, my main pony!” She said happily, “Come here and tell this square pony that Ponyville needs more beat in its veins!”

“I…uh…” Ditzy felt the headache she knew meant her eyes were beginning to look silly.

“Ditzy is a classy pony.” NoteWorthy stood proudly next to the mailpony, “She understands the need for classic and established music.”

“Excuse me?” Vinyl narrowed her eyes, “Did you just call my turn-table trash?!”

“…letter?” Ditzy squeaked as the two ponies faced off, NoteWorthy slightly taller.

“I’m getting sick of you belittling me, Notes!”

“And I’m sick of your damn techno noise! How many different ways can you have a baseline for Celestia’s sake?”

“Please…uh…mail…” Ditzy backed away slowly. She could almost picture steam rising from the two ponies.

“Better than a Celestia damn piano! Oh, you’re playing an A-minor. Oh, you’re playing a G-Sharp. Oh, another A-minor! Oh, how fascinating!” Vinyl’s voice took on posh, mocking tone as she held a hoof to her head. The two music ponies looked close to open combat. Ditzy placed the single letter on the counter.

“I’ll…um…I’ll just leave this here.” Ditzy dared not make a sound as she crept from the shop. Once outside, she let out a breath she had not known she was holding. One down.

Ditzy studied the list wrapped around her leg. Her next stop to her to…Oh, Ditzy smiled. Her next stop was a close friend of hers; Tree Sap, owner of Ponyville’s only Waffle House. Ditzy flapped her wings and took to the sky, arrowing towards the familiar and popular shop.

It may have been late morning, but there were still plenty of ponies in the diner-style restaurant. Everypony knew that Sugar Cube Corner was the best bakery in town, but it was the Maple Stack Waffle House that ponies came to for a full breakfast. It was as popular as any restaurant in town. More so even. Weekend mornings, a pony either had to have reservations or, as Ditzy’s luck had it, had gone to school with the owner. Some ponies were just lucky.
Ditzy pushed open the door and was immediately assaulted by the mouth watering aroma of fresh waffles, pancakes, fresh fruit and powdered sugar. As expected, Ditzy’s friend Tree Sap was at the hostess’ counter. Her blue eyes immediately brightened up as Ditzy walked in.

“Ditzy!” Tree sap smiled, “Hey!”

“Hi Sap.” Ditzy reached into her mailbag and instantly found the letter for her friend. Ditzy tried to hide the bashful smile from Tree Sap, but the emerald-green pony raised an eyebrow at the mailpony’s actions. There were three things in all of Equestria that Tree Sap knew perfectly. The first was maple syrup with cinnamon; something that even ponies in Canterlot or Manedrid placed orders for. The second was Grandpa Oak’s pumpkin waffle recipe; a secret Tree Sap would only pass on to her own fillies, whenever she had them. The third was when Ditzy Doo was excited about something…or somepony in particular.

“Well, you’re in a bright mood this morning.” She held a hoof to her chin as she thought, “Muffins?”

“No.”

“Hmmm…WonderBolts coming to town?”

“Nope.”

“RainDrops coming home early from her honeymoon?”

“Hope not.”

“Then…Caramel.” At this Ditzy looked at the floor, smiling. Tree Sap dropped her hoof and her mouth opened like a beached fish, “No…”

“It…it was just a cuddle.” Ditzy mumbled at length. Tree Sap almost squealed, but kept her cool in front of her customers.

“A cuddle?!” Tree Sap leaned closer, whispering, “You cuddled with Caramel?” Ditzy gave her a toothy, cross-eyed smile.

“Maybe.” She said coyly. Tree Sap sat back and sighed.

“Oh Ditz, that’s great!” She said, “This is what you’ve wanted for what, years now?” Ditzy could only nod her head, too giddy to answer. She had cuddled with Caramel. The reality of the situation was just really beginning to seep it. Tree Sap saw the look in her friend’s eyes and smiled.

“Okay, okay I get it.” She said. Another pony opened the door and glanced at Tree Sap, “Oh, gotta’ go Ditz. Work. On your bike, mailpony.” She greeted her customer and directed him to an empty booth. Before Ditzy left, Tree Sap called out.
“You. Me. Waffles at my house.” She narrowed her eyes in a mock threat, “I want details girl.” Ditzy nodded happily and left. Tree Sap sat back in her chair and smiled, “about time girl…about time…”

00000000000
Ditzy landed gracefully on the snow covered front step of her next destination. The Carousel Boutique. Ditzy puzzled slightly; what could a high-class fashion unicorn possibly need delivered? Fabrics? Dyes? Ditzy shifted her weight from side to side, testing the weight of the mailbags. Nothing too heavy. No real packages. To be fair, Ditzy had not seen the letter for Ms. Rarity yet, but her check-list said one letter for the Carousel Boutique.

Ditzy hesitated before knocking. Ms. Rarity was the most gorgeous pony in all of Ponyville. Ditzy, Tree Sap and the rest of the mares had just accepted this as the natural order of things. Somepony had to be on top. It wasn’t really a problem though. No colt would be caught dead giving Ms. Rarity an once-over. The colts claimed it was because Ms. Rarity was too classy for such things, but Ditzy knew better. Every mare knew better.

“Cooommiiinnngggg!” The sing-song voice called from inside. The door opened a heartbeat later.

“Oh, why hello Ms. Doo. Love the scarf; so cute.” The fashion unicorn, Rarity, nodded her head respectfully, “How may I help you today?”

“Mail!” Ditzy chirped happily.

“Oh, how wonderful.” Ditzy opened her saddlebag and quickly peered inside. She shifted through the letters. Carrot Top, High Glide, Daisy Bright, Fluttershy, Kettle Corn, Crème Brulee…Ditzy kept shifting through the mail, well aware Ms. Rarity was watching her intently. She had spent very little time with the fashion Rarity. Ditzy envied the ponies in town who could afford her breath-taking dresses. The mailpony had seen the dresses Ms. Rarity and her friends had worn to last year’s Grand Galloping Gala and Ditzy knew she was jealous of their beauty. Would that she could afford one someday…

“One sec.” Ditzy quickly glanced up and opened her second saddlebag. Celestia damn it, where was that letter?! Ditzy grew more nervous as her search kept turning up empty. A letter for the Mayor, two for the Apple Farm, a parcel for the quill store, and a postcard to Rose Garden from her sister Lily…where was the letter for Rarity? Ditzy glanced up at the cheerful, yet expecting smile of the fashion pony.

“I’m so sorry miss. I think I-”

“Ditzy!” the voice came over the wind and both ponies searched for the source. Ditzy saw him first; Caramel came galloping out of the snowstorm, a saddlebag over his shoulder. He was running hard and Ditzy could see he cheeks were flushed from the cold.

“Hey Ditz.” Caramel looked at Rarity and Ditzy felt a spike of jealousy. His gaze lingered on the alabaster unicorn for far too long for Ditzy’s liking, “Oh hello Rarity.”

“Good afternoon Caramel. I do hope you are staying warm.” The unicorn glanced at Ditzy, raising an eyebrow as her feminine intuition picked up on the mailpony’s jealousy.

“I’m trying.” He looked back at his friend, “Hey Ditz, ya’ll forgot this back at the office.” He un-slung the bag he carried and gently put it around her neck. Ditzy shivered as his warm breath ghosted over her fur. Again Rarity raised an eyebrow.

“Oh…I’m sorry, Caramel.” Ditzy said softly, “making you run all the way out here.”
“twernt’ nothin’.” Caramel said dismissively, “I was gonna’ go out anyway.” He hesitated, “Hey, listen Ditz, what say I take one of those bag o’ mail and deliver it for ya’?”

“I…I can do this.” Ditzy narrowed her eyes at him.

“No no, nothin’ like that.” He scratched his head with his hoof, “Just that I was gonna’ stop at Sugar Cube Corner and pick up a box of mixed muffins.” At this, Ditzy’s mouth began to water.

“Why?” was all she could manage.

“Well…if ya’ll finish early…and only if ya’ll wants,” Caramel coughed into his hoof, “I thought maybe we could eat ‘em together…n’ watch a movie or somthin’” Ditzy felt her face blushing and all of the sudden, the cold wind was forgotten. Ditzy’s body felt like it was on fire and she looked down at the ground, sure her face had turned bright red.

“I…I’d like that. A lot.” Ditzy’s voice was almost lost on the wind, but both Caramel and Rarity heard it. The would-be farmer pony’s face brightened up, but Rarity’s face was curiously blank. She was studying the two ponies intently.

“Great! Here, give me one o’ those bags and I’ll do the rounds on ma’ way to Sugar Cube Corner.” Ditzy smiled at him as she gave him one of her mailbags. “See ya’ after work.”
Caramel turned and began trotting through the snow. The wind blew his mane around and right then, Ditzy saw a hero-pony braving a cold tundra, daring to save a damsel; not a simple mailpony in the dead of winter.

“Get banana-nut muffins!” Ditzy called after him, “I love those!”

“I’ll get extra banana-nut then!” Caramel yelled back and took off in a faster trot back towards Ponyville proper. Ditzy sighed happily.

Rarity glanced at Ditzy’s dreamy but straight-eyed expression. She had never seen the clumsy mailpony try so hard to look…Rarity dared not use the word normal, as Ditzy was as kind and friendly as any pony. She decided on focused. Ditzy was trying to look focused. The fashion unicorn followed her glance and saw Caramel trotting happily towards Sugar Cube Corner. She glanced at Ditzy and waved a hoof in front of her eyes. No response. Again Rarity followed Ditzy’s dream-filled eyes to see Caramel just visible in the distance.

All the pieces fell into place and a massive light exploded in Rarity’s mind. She gasped in something halfway between delight and fear and took Ditzy by the hoof. The spell was broken and Ditzy looked at her.

“What a-” she was cut off by Rarity dragging her into the Boutique.

“Come in out of the cold, dear.” Rarity chided gently, “What do you think you are doing letting the wind mess up your mane?”

“I uh….what?”

“Hush now.” Rarity put a hoof on Ditzy’s lips to silence her, “Now where to begin…” The unicorn thought for a moment and smiled brightly, “Ah, first we have to get you out of these dreadful clothes. Come now, off.” Rarity made a face as she lifted Ditzy’s hat and scarf with her magic, “Oh my, where did you get this scarf?”

“But…but you said it was cute.” Ditzy said sadly. Rarity lifted her face with her hoof and smiled reassuringly.

“Oh sweetie, it is very cute on you.” She tossed the item into a laundry basket, “But we don’t want cute, we want gorgeous! Oh, we’ll do your mane, polish those hooves, and get you in a new outfit. Eeeeeiiiii!!!! Caramel won’t know what hit him!”

“C…Caramel?”

“Well of course dear. We need you looking your best if you have a big date tonight.” Rarity seemed to be on cloud nine, completely oblivious to the mailpony’s embarrassment, “Now should we put your mane up or down?”

“uh…”

“Oh sweetie, you’re right; down. The cold will simply destroy it if we put it up.” Rarity summoned a comb from a nearby desk,

“Now hold still.”

“Um, Rarity? What ya’ll doin’?” A pleasant accented pony asked, walking up to the bewildered mailpony and fashion unicorn. Ditzy glanced over; it was Applejack. The farmpony’s mane was lined with hair-curls and she looked very uncomfortable with them. She kept scratching at them with her hoof.

“Stop touching, Applejack. You will ruin your mane…again.” Rarity narrowed her eyes at the farmer for a single heartbeat. There was almost a spark of lightning as the farmer and fashionista faced off until Applejack relented. Rarity then turned her attentions back to the mailpony. “Now where were we?”

“Ya’ll were ‘bout to explain why you have poor Ditzy here in a tizzy.” Applejack offered a sympathetic smile to the mailpony. Applejack knew how aggressive Rarity was in the field of beauty.

“If you must know Applejack, our dear Ditzy here has feelings for Caramel.” Rarity used her magic to pull her comb through Ditzy’s hair, “My word, what do you use for conditioner, Ditzy? Rocks?!”

“Go easy on the poor girl.” Applejack cut in, noticing Ditzy’s downcast look. Ditzy smiled at the farmer, and Applejack took that as a sign to continue, “Is it true? Ya’ll gotta’ thing for cousin Caramel?” The blush on Ditzy’s face answered better than words ever colud. Applejack smiled softly, “It’s okay sugarcube.”

“I’m not- owwww, gently.” Ditzy squeaked as Rarity found another knot in her mane, “What if he doesn’t feel the same way? He never said so…technically.”

“Ya’ll kidding me, right?” Applejack laughed, “Trust me, ya’ll is the only thing Caramel is ever wanting to talk about.” At this Ditzy stared blankly at the farmpony.

“What?”

“Sure as shoot!” Applejack said, “I’ve been houndin’ him for over a year to say somethin’ to ya’. Why he even woke up before dawn to make some hot chocolate for ya’.”

“He said he wanted to get a head start on work.” Ditzy replied and the words sounded hollow even to her. Applejack and Rarity gave her the same, eyes half closed look.

“Ditzy Doo, please.” Rarity turned her attention back to her tasks.

“Ya’ll honestly believe Caramel would get up before dawn to get to work?” Applejack smiled a knowing smile.

“When you put it like that…” Ditzy looked away, blushing. Applejack laughed.

“Ya’ know Big Macintosh says Caramel’s been saving bits to take ya’ on a real fancy date.”

“Ooohhh Ditzy Doo, you minx you.” Rarity chuckled as the mailpony looked down, her face bright red and a goofy smile on
her lips. She mumbled something under her breath.

“Pardon?” Applejack leaned closer.

“I said I don’t need a fancy date.” Ditzy looked up and the other ponies were surprised to see unshed tears brimming in her eyes. “I’d say yes no matter what.”

“And that, Applejack, is why I dragged this pony out of the cold.” Rarity said firmly, “I shan’t be allowing her on a magical, romantic date without looking her absolute best! If not for Caramel’s sake, then for Ditzy herself. She deserves to look and feel stunning.” Rarity turned to the mailpony, “Now come on, let me get your measurements so I can work start working on your dress while you soak this mane in hot water. I have the perfect shampoo for you in the back. It will get these knots out of it.” She summoned a measuring tape from a desk and a pair of slender glasses from her table. Rarity’s face took a much more serious demeanor, “Now hold still.”

“Miss Rarity?” Ditzy whispered, her heart beating increasingly faster.

“Please Darling, just Rarity.” The Unicorn pony said as she jumped from one side of the mailpony to the other, all the while using her magic to control the measuring tape and a pen and paper to write her measurements down on.

“Well…Rarity…” Ditzy took a step back from the unicorn and looked down at the floor. “I…I really can’t afford one of your dresses.” The mailpony glanced up at the fashion unicorn, expecting the worst. She expected being yelled at or a simple angry glare until she left. Instead Rarity looked shocked. The unicorn stared blankly at the Pegasus for an uncomfortably long time.

“…afford?” Rarity whispered the words and blinked a few times, “Oh dear…afford darling?” Ditzy backed away from the unicorn, expecting the worst. The earth pony, Applejack put a hoof to Rarity’s shoulder. The fashion unicorn looked ready to hyperventilate.

“Ya’ll don’t know Rarity, do ya’?” Applejack laughed at her friend’s reactions. Ditzy shook her head and whispered a ‘no’.

“Sweetie, darling…” Rarity looked straight into the mailpony’s eyes, “Ditzy, I would never let monetary gains stand in the way of true love...” The fashion unicorn’s eyes were filled with stars and she sighed. “Oh…so romantic…”

“What Rarity is trying to say is that ya’ll don’t owe a thing.” Applejack clarified to the cross-eyed mare, “She’s doin’ this to help ya’, not for the bits.” At this, the mailpony was speechless. She glanced first at Rarity, then Applejack, then back to Rarity. Tears of joy were in Ditzy’s eyes.

“I-” Rarity held up a hoof to silence her. Ditzy could see joy and delighted sympathy on the unicorn’s face.

“Please dear, if you start crying, I will too.” She chuckled, “Oh Applejack, look at her face. Pure joy and excitement. You asked me why I’m helping her; looking at dear Ditzy now I realize I had no right to not help her. “

“That’s mighty fine of ya’ Rarity.” Applejack said and the unicorn beamed from the praise, “Ya’ll got one problem I recon’”

“Oh?” Rarity raised an eyebrow, curiosity peaked.

“Ya’ll said ya wanted to make Ditzy here a new dress.”

“…forgive me Applejack, but I’m not following.”

“For pony's sake Rarity, its ten degrees out today!” Applejack pointed at the snow flurries outside, “Ya’ll aint serious gonna’ be sending this poor mare out there in a skirt?” as if to underline her point, the winter winds howled. The unicorn turned to the snow and thought for a moment.

“You may be right…” She allowed and then smiled brightly, stars in her eyes, “A coat then! A winter coat that screams style, class” She smiled kindly at Ditzy, “And heartfelt kindness.” Before Ditzy could respond, Rarity summoned the mailpony’s old winter coat from where it lay. The unicorn held up the coat to Ditzy’s stone grey fur and scrunched her eyebrows. After a moment, Rarity brightened up.

“Ideeeeaaaaa!” She practically sung and again used her magic to bring over rolls of purple fabric, “The royal purple looks great on you dear, so we’ll stick with that. But what you really need is gold trim. And a jewel…amethyst? No, that’d be too much purple…A ruby? No, too similar…hmmm…diamond? ” Ditzy tried to speak but Rarity held up a hoof, “Please, don’t interrupt. I’m planning.”

“Please.” Ditzy said, drawing the attention of both Rarity and Applejack who had wandered off with a copy of AppleBuck Pro Magazine, “I really need to finish my rounds.” Ditzy nodded at the two saddlebags of mail by the door, “I can’t be…negligent.”

“Not a problem.” Rarity winked slyly and walked over to a window. The look in her eyes told Ditzy the unicorn had not only thought of this problem, but had also solved it. Rarity used her magic to slightly ajar a window to her backyard. She coughed into her hoof once, took a deep breath, and “Oh what ever shall we do?! Who could possibly be brave enough to deliver all these letters in a single afternoon?! Oh, woe is us! Society as we know it is doomed!” Silence descended upon the boutique and Ditzy glanced around, expecting…something. Anything.

“Why did yo-”

“Just wait.” Rarity said softly and counted, “Three…two…one…” The back door exploded open in a rush of snow, energy and little hooves in snow boots.

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADER PACKAGE DELIVERY!” the words echoed loudly and Ditzy stared dumbfounded at three balls of fluff with hooves and three pairs of wide eyes, studying her, Rarity and Applejack intently.

“No matter how far!” A Pegasus filly proclaimed

“No matter how dangerous!” The filly had an accent similar to Applejack’s and Caramel’s.

“We’ll cross every river!” It was the Pegasus again.

“Climb every mountain!” The mini-Applejack proclaimed.

“Fight any dragon!” the Pegasus filly shadow-kicked an imaginary foe and stood proudly triumphant.

“We…uh…deliver packages…?” The last crusader, a unicorn the same shade as Rarity, looked disappointed at her part in the chant.

“Hold your horses, little ones.” Applejack said calmly as she approached, “Aint no dragon fighting on my watch.” The Pegasus and earth-pony groaned, but the unicorn seemed relieved.

“Now girls, Ditzy Doo here is going to be busy for the rest of the day.” Rarity looked upon the three with an eagle’s eye, appraising them, “Just deliver the mail in those bags to their respected owners. Do it correctly, and do it quickly…and I’ll pick up a-” Rarity shivered as she strained the words, “A triple-decker-doublechocolate-gummy-vanilla-swirl-peanutbuttercup-icecream-super-cake from Pinkie Pie.” The three fillies gasped in absolute delight, “But only if you do a good job.” At this, the Cutie Mark Crusader’s saluted smartly.

“You heard her girls!” the unicorn took charge, “Hop to it!” the two other fillies fell into lock-step march behind the unicorn filly and marched out the front door, dragging the mailbags with them. “Hup, two, three, four. Hup, two, three, four…”

“Are…are you sure about this?” Ditzy asked. Truth be told she didn’t mind not going out into the cold again, but still…it was her job.

“Trust us.” Applejack said, “Those three fillies are a handful, but they’ll get ‘er done.” Rarity turned back to Ditzy, measuring tape, fabric, scissors and pins hovering around her.

“Now, where were we?”