• Published 3rd Sep 2013
  • 366 Views, 0 Comments

The End of the Beginning - Uncle Knot



From wondering why the Crystal Empire was referred to as 'it' to why there is a statue of Nightmare Moon, to who gathers dragon eggs for the Magic Academy; herein are the answers.

  • ...
 0
 366

The Alicorn Amulet

To my gracious and sponsoring Princess Celestia, in the 362nd YR, my 4,351st letter

Thank you so much for your copy of The Griffin by Edgar Apple Pony. It was a most furlong and hopeless shade of a love story. And you know how much I so enjoy these stories, being a loveless creature myself.

On another note, the works of H.P. Lovecolt are more than mere stories, but contain hidden tidings of actual events. H.P. and I have worked together to solve bizarre mysteries of hideous horror. Do not rebuke me for placing myself in dangers, I could not at the time tell you of. For if something terrible had happened, it would be best if you didn’t know the actual events. Only now that the danger seems to be passed do I relate the tale of the Alicorn Amulet.

The amulet appeared to be a meaningless trinket to my eye, but it called to H.P. and as he recounts tickled his subconscious. We discovered it at an antique auction, and we were hard pressed to purchase it. First because only H.P. wanted it and didn’t have the funds to successfully bid. And secondly, as a good steward, the funds that you support my activities with are well guarded and I do not make ill use of them. The amulet was purchase by another, a Mr. China Cup, much to that pony’s regret, as I will recall their sad experience. Sleeplessness plague the family, Mrs. Cup, whom the amulet had been purchase for as a gift, could not stand the touch of it. By chance, I later inquire if the amulet could be purchase. Mrs. Cup gladly gave it to me and almost refused payment of any kind. Yet, before I could tell H.P. of my success, some pony unknown had broken into their house, ransacking the residence.

With the amulet in hoof, I conducted several experiments, probing it with my magic. On one occasion, my inquiry sparked a feeling within me that I had not felt in centuries. I knew then to guard the amulet carefully, for the power within choose its’ welder and sought to control that pony. I could find no record for the amulet in the archives of either Star Swirl’s library or Canterlot’s. Meanwhile H.P.’s appearance seemed to decline, he was most sullen and moody, like a haunted pony. When I told him of my success in purchasing the amulet, he became manic and demanded, then begged, and then pleaded to participate in my experiments. I knew this was a dangerous course to follow, but his health was ebbing, and action was imperative.

I led him blind folded to that secret maze, both you and I know of, and allowed him to wear the amulet, with the promise that he would remove it when I ask it of him, for his distress was palatable. The reaction to wearing the amulet was immediate. His magical abilities increase manifold, and his attitude became demanding and dominant. He would not remove the amulet to fulfill his promise to me, and threatened me with all manner of torture if I would not lead him out of the maze. My appeals to his better side, kept him from fulfilling these threats. In better humor he realized that I had prepared this trap well, for while his magic could not find the exit, it did detect my hidden supplies in preparation for a long term siege. The magic of the amulet also told him of my hidden inner nature. So we had a long time to discuss my history. This sharing of confidence, won his sanity back and he relented and abandoned the amulet there in the maze. He will not suffer its mention again.

With all my loyalty, trust, generosity, humor, and kindness, Sum-po-neigh Knot Yew.