• Published 11th Sep 2013
  • 905 Views, 7 Comments

Bump's and Bruises - ClashOfDash



Rainbow Dash is in a coma following a deadly flying accident. Standing by her side are her husband, Soarin, and her best friend, Applejack. Within her mind, Dashie must fight through inner demons, past trauma, and even her own betrayals in order to a

  • ...
4
 7
 905

Tattered And Scraped


Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep...

The sound of Rainbow Dash's heart monitor was the only sound in her hospital room. Had it not been for that single, repetitive noise, one could probably hear a pin drop. The comatose mare herself was peacefully laid across a soft hospital bed, hooked up to multiple medical instruments of unknown use to anypony that didn't work here.

Standing by her side were two ponies, both of them in deep sadness. The one on the left was a stallion, Soarin. He had been her husband for two years, he lived his life for her ever since their marriage. The one on the right was a mare, Applejack. Soarin briefly pulled his eyes away to observe the room around them. The walls weren't even their usual bright white, they were instead a dull grey, as if trying to echo the sorrow that the two were feeling.

Even though she tried her best to hold back, a single teardrop rolled from Applejack's cheek and fell onto the unconscious athlete's coat. All of Rainbow Dash's other friends had left hours ago, but not her. By far, she was the closest to her. They'd know eachother since childhood, and time didn't do a single thing to corrode those bonds.

Despite not having known Rainbow Dash quite as long, that didn't make Soarin's relationship with her any less strong. Although Dashie never liked to go into detail about the inner workings of their relationship, it was obvious to anypony that they were truly and faithfully in love.

Finally, Applejack broke the silence. "Ya' know... When Dash was bein' wheeled in here, ah swear ah' could see her try and open her eyes." She spoke in a thick southern accent.

Soarin looked up to face her. "Really? I... I saw it too. I'm not sure if it was just my head playing tricks on me, or if she was really trying to wake up."

"Ah' saw her try and reach out ta' us."

"Now that you mention it, I saw it too. But... I guess that doesn't make much of a difference now, does it?"

Applejack turned around. "Ah' guess not."

"Applejack, do you think she can hear us?" Soarin asked, taking a seat on one of the mildly uncomfortable plastic chairs the nurses had provided them with.

"Hear us?"

"Yeah, do you think she knows that we're here with her?"

Applejack looked down in thought. "Ah'd like to think that she can, but neither of us can know fer' sure."

"I guess you're right. I just... I just want to think that she knows we're by her side."

The orange mare nodded. "That'd be pretty comfortin', ah'd imagine. Soarin... It's gettin' a bit late, do ya' think we should leave?"

"Yeah, just give me a few minutes alone with her, okay?"

Applejack nodded and headed out. Soarin slowly trotted towards his unconscious wife and placed a kiss on her forehead. "I love you, Dashie." He whispered. Without uttering another word, he left. For know, all they could do was wait.

Author's Note: As short as it was, I think this chapter is a good way of getting things started. I'm not sure when I'll update this, but hopefully it will be soon. Please leave a review with some kind of feedback, it's always greatly appreciated.

Author's Note:

As short as it was, I think this chapter is a good way of getting things started. I'm not sure when I'll update this, but hopefully it will be soon. Please leave a review with some kind of feedback, it's always greatly appreciated. Congratulations, you've just clicked on the first chapter of my newest project. This is an idea that just recently popped into my head, and I just had to write it. I'm not entirely sure how frequent updates are going to be, but even though I'm working on another fic I'll try to be consistent. Another thing, this story is heavily influenced by the lyrical content of Ayreon's The Human Equation. It's not required listening, but I still recommend you listen to it simply because it's a fucking amazing album.