• Published 3rd Aug 2013
  • 1,468 Views, 10 Comments

Unavailing - FaelaArts



The world is doomed, unless the chosen one dies. The chosen one of the purple body and neatly cut mane.

  • ...
0
 10
 1,468

The Warning

Leaping out of bed, she gazed wildly around the room, breath coming in gasps. Combing her furniture for any signs of darkness, she realised nothing was amiss and relaxed slightly. The nightmares were becoming more frequent. It was hard not to keep hold of one’s sanity during one.

“Hey Twilight, hurry up! The princess is coming to meet you today for your magic exam!” Turning to gaze at her door, her breathing relaxed at the voice of her best friend and assistant.

“Coming Spike!” Getting out of bed, she quickly sent her magic to open the curtains, letting more light into the room. Gazing around, she wondered what it would be like living in a library. It would mean less trips to the local one she was sure. Giving a contented smile, she opened her door and head down the stairs, gazing at the small corridor where all the rooms met.

There were tales of a great mare who once lived in a tree, Twilight hoped to be as great as she was. Her name had been lost to time however, but Twilight imagined it was something like ‘Trixie’ or ‘Magicalinnny’ or something more magical.

Her house was white inside and out, though her garden did bring some colour to the house. Spike always made sure to put flowers in every room, and she was glad he did. It certainly made the house much brighter than when they hadn’t been there.

Walking into the dining room, she took a seat at the table as Spike brought breakfast in. Sharing a smile, she took in his appearance. His green mane and tail were messy, he hadn’t brushed yet today. His purple fur was still messed up due to his haphazard sleeping schedule. In fact, to her immense amusement they almost looked like scales today. His green eyes were half closed, and his horn was having trouble keeping the plates steady due to his own lack of concentration.

“You know you don’t have to get up early every morning you know. I am perfectly capable of getting out of bed without you shouting my door down.” Twilight took the plates from the sleepy colt, placing them down while he turned to go and get the drinks. She began eating with gusto.

“How many times have I heard that one? And how many times has it turned out to be true?” Spike sat down at the table, pouring both their drinks before digging into his own food.

“Once…You’ve made your point.” Twilight would never admit it, but she relied on Spike’s amazing sense of time. He may be a grouchy person at this time of the day, but each morning he would wake her up without fail. He was like a brother to her.

The doorbell rang as they finished their breakfast, and Spike carried the plates back into the kitchen to wash them. Heading toward the door, Twilight opened it and glanced outside to greet her guest.

“Hello, can I help y-,“ gasping in shock, Twilight’s eyes widened and she took a step back. It was a princess, but it wasn’t the one she had been expecting. This mare was almost completely identical to Twilight, except for one thing.

“Twilight, is that correct?” The mare flared her wings, grabbing something from her saddlebags. Twilight nodded mutely, confounded by this turn of events. The mare looked much older than she was, but there was no doubting that signature style and star cutie mark.

“You’re me!” Twilight stuttered the words out, mute shock plastered on her face. The mare glanced up from her bag, and locked eyes with Twilight. Twilight nearly flinched at the coldness in them. A parcel was thrust into her hooves, the mare stepping back.

“I know. Open that once I’ve left. Goodbye.” And with those parting words, the mare simply walked away, pulling a cloak over her body to hide her face and cutie mark. Numbly, Twilight closed the door and walked back to the table.

“Was that the princess?” Spike’s voice from the kitchen snapped Twilight out of her bubble, and she shook her head.

“I think so. She gave me a package to open, let me see what’s inside,” she replied. Hearing the sounds of scrubbing from the kitchen, Twilight quickly began to unwrap the package. Inside was a simple box.

Twilight frowned, and opened the box and pulled out the only thing inside. It was some sort of magical rune card, one that described a-

“SPIKE GET DOWN!”


The mare walked along the street, not even bothering to glance back at the house. After she had been walking for a minute or so, she turned around as the sound of an explosion ripped through the air. The house she had just visited had exploded into flames, she turned back around and continued walking.

This was the warning.


Eyes flickering open, Twilight winced as pain laced through her body. Glancing to her leg, she saw it was turned the wrong way, and probably broken. Glancing toward the kitchen, she saw the roof barely holding up and the body of her assistant nestled inside, unconscious. Her eyes widened as the roof suddenly collapsed, and grunted as, out of instinct, she grabbed the rubble and protected Spike from the falling roof by placing it beside him.

“Spppiike…,” she muttered, darkness closing in. Everything was growing dark, soon she would lose consciousness.

“Somepony call a hospital!” Was that Spike’s voice? She couldn’t tell. She was so…tired…