• Published 21st Jul 2013
  • 2,500 Views, 18 Comments

A Human Discusses Religion with Celestia - Jomama



An agnostic human with bitter feelings involving religion has to convince the goddess of the sun that it's safe to send him home.

  • ...
15
 18
 2,500

Like a Diamond in the Sky

“Anyone who thinks sitting in church can make you a Christian must also think that sitting in a garage can make you a car.”
― Garrison Keillor

------

Two brothers were stargazing in a boat idly floating in the middle of a small lake somewhere in New England. There used to be more people doing the same thing, but that all changed after new laws made it more difficult to rent boats in small lakes. Not that it bothered them them, it just meant more lake for themselves. They almost felt like they owned it sometimes. The only thing they heard besides themselves were the rare, but welcome howl from loons. The two were enjoying the starry sky that can’t be seen near big towns. Along with them were a cooler of beer, and a full pack of cigarettes to share between them. The night was perfect with not a cloud in sight, and they could even see some of the Milky Way.

“Saw one!”

“You son of a! Where!”

“Over there.”

“Damn I gotta pick a better seat. I can’t see that section from here. How many shooting stars have you spotted again?”

“6”

“Crap I’ve only seen 3”

“Well I am the shooting star spotting master.”

“Bite me Luke. Our new nephew is gonna like me more anyway. The title of ‘Best Uncle’ will be mine!”

“Well no duh Matt, that pain known as our oldest brother lives closer to you anyway. I’ll have to send a lot of presents to make up for the distance. Actually since it’s you we’re talking about, he’ll probably sell the gifts to buy a plane tickets to get away from you.”

“Oh haha I forgot how to STAR!!”

“Where?!”

“Near the moon. It’s 4 to 6, Luke. I hope you’re enjoying that flame under your ass.”

“I’m expecting a kid bro, adding another match isn’t going to feel like much compared to expecting a child.”

“Common, between you, Catherine, and most importantly me, your kid will be fine.”

“…Speaking of you, I want to ask a favor.”

“Shoot”

“Would you be my child’s Godfather?”

A shooting star crosses the sky, but neither of them sees it because they are both staring intently at each other.

“I’m flattered that you would ask me, but I’m not the most qualified godfather out there being an agnostic, and all.”

“I’m kinda hoping being a godfather will help you grow out of it.”

“… Jesus Christ Luke, I’m 25 years old, it’s like you think this is a decision I made on a whim!”

“Matt I know being religious is going out of style-“

“It has nothing to do what other people think! I didn’t abandon the faith I was indoctrinated to believe because life was unfair or because I thought a god wouldn’t allow these horrible things to happen. When your child asks me about God, I’m not going to lie to him about my lack of faith in a poorly translated book.”

“…I’m starting to understand dad’s disapproval.”

‘Disapproval’ was putting it mildly, but before Matt could respond, an unfamiliar light distracted both brothers, causing them to look up only to see a magenta colored star nearly double the size of the moon. It was surrounded by several smaller white stars that still had to no right to be so big. Luke scrambles to grab his phone to take a picture while the sheer beauty of the display in front of them leaves Matt in awe.

“I wish I could see whatever could create something some beautiful,” Matt mutters to himself.

Luke manages to snap a shot just as the set of stars fade away. “If that’s not an act of god, I don’t know what it is Matt.”

Luke turns to face Matt only to find himself alone on the boat.

“Matt?”

Author's Note:

Did you like this? Then hit the like button!!