• Published 22nd Jul 2013
  • 1,805 Views, 32 Comments

Hunters and Ponies. - Vorki



A small Group of hunters find themselves in a strange land.

  • ...
6
 32
 1,805

Making An Entrance.

The group of hunters were carefully making their way through the incredibly dark series of tunnels. so far they hadn't seen anything out of the ordinary (not that they could see much anyway). Issac had lit a few torches and handed them put to the others. This however did very little as the cave was still pitch black. The walk was unsettling. It was quiet. Nothing but their foot steps could be heard in the darkness.

"I'm telling you I saw something" Oats insisted.

"You see a orange horse like thing with wings while taking a piss? not likely" Issac laughed.

"It was real you heard it scream" Oats said get frustrated

"Well when we came to check all I saw was you and Tich yelling your heads off" Issac said smugly.

"I won the yelling contest" Tich added.

"Whatever" Oats groaned, not willing to embarrass himself further.

After a while Issac's laughter calmed down as they continued to walk.

Tich, Catherine and Walker walked together as Issac and Oats fell behind. Issac move closer to Oats and gave a slight shiver.

"Its perfect isn't it" Issac said with a large amount of disgust on his tongue.

"Yes it is" Oats replied sharing Issac's disgust.

"Well? You think one will show up?" Issac said bitterly.

"Pitch black cave with plenty of places to climb. If it wasn't here then i'd eat my hat" Oats simply said back.

After exchanging a quick nod they caught up to the rest of the party. Oats then checked his bag and revealed a few jars which contained a blue liquid that glowed very slightly in the dark.

"What's that?" Tich asked, his eyes stared excitedly at the jar.

"Something I hoped I don't have to use" Oats said with a slight hint of concern.

Tich stared at Oats for a while before stopping him in his tracks.

"What's wrong?" Tich said loudly "Something is wrong. Very wrong. Very very wrong, as in the bad type of wrong. Tich said in quick succession.

Oats looked up at the giant of a man and sighed

"There you go with you'r MPD" Oats said looking slightly annoyed.

Issac looked confused "I thought it was mood swings?"

"Could be both" Oats shrugged

"That's not the point. Whats on you mind. I need to know. For the sake of my comrades I will not rest until I have heard what troubles you so that I may share the burden with you" Tich said with deep passion.

"Idiotic loyalty?" Issac dead-paned.

"Idiotic loyalty!" Oats dead-paned.

"Even so what's the matter" Catherine asked as she managed to get a comment in between the rambling speeches Tich was firing out.

Oats sighed "Well a while ago when Issac and I were still kids, we found a small cave at the back of the village. My dad always told us never to go in there but our curiosity got the better of us and we slipped inside. Much like this one it was very dark and quiet but rather foolishly we pressed on. After a while I had the strange feeling that we were being watched and followed"

"You know, the tingling feeling on the back of your neck" Issac butted in.

"Yer well anyway" Oats continued. "We heard a scuffle behind us and saw that Tich had followed us inside.

"I thought you were preparing some sort of surprise party or something" Tich said, switching back to normal mode

"In a dark and seemingly dangerous cave. not likely" Issac dead-panned.

Oats thought this was a good moment to continue "we came to a particularly dark opening in the cave. what we saw was beautiful. In the centre of the room was a large glowing statue of some kind of glorified horse.

"Had a horn and wings too if I recall" Issac added.

"The Three of us looked at the strange stone and then it began to change. The stone moulded and shifted as if it were alive. It then covered our hands." Oats Issac and Tich cringed. "The stone then began to warm our skin. At first it was nice. It felt like the sunshine that we rarely get. It only lasted a few seconds through, suddenly it began to warm up really quickly and began to burn our skin.

"It was like touching the sun" Tich said with more happiness than was needed

"The pain was unbearable. Luckily after while or so the stone released us and left a strange mark on the back of our hands.

Issac shivered "This is where things get...strange".

"We began to hear a whisper. It was small at first barely noticeable. 'Three of them. Unarmed. Rip meat. Must wait. NO hungry now. Must wait.

"The voice had madness all over it" Issac said with a hint of venom

"However the voice got impatient. Then it attacked us. A Gigginox."

"It landed on top of us and screeched. It caused ice to crash from the ceiling.

"Needless to say we ran for our lives." Issac added (again)

Oats continued "The whispers soon became clearer. 'run small meals run. I'm coming for you' it said giving a mad laugh. After running for what seemed an eternity we saw the light at the entrance but...

"I tripped" Issac interrupted "It then took me into its maw. Its rows of teeth sliced and cut me up and it then vomited on me."

Catherine and Walker back up a bit

"It was years ago so I got the smell out eventually"

"The Gigginox has poison glands on its belly tail and head which give off a purple glow. When it vomited its poison on me my vision became hazy. Then Oats dad came.

"Oat's father?" asked Catherine for it was her first time hearing about Oats family.

"Yup" Issac said giving Oats a friendly but firm headlock. "Oats's old man is a life saver. A man who can walk among monsters. A true legend in his time. He smashed the ugly Gig's face with his sword slashing its glowing eyes, causing it to cough me up. It screamed and bled heavily from them. The poisonous bastard retreated back into its god forsaken cave. Oats dad then blocked up the cave by causing a cave in. But I was badly poisoned" Issac paused "Give or take I had about thirty seconds to live. Oats however gave me a strong experimental antidote. The three of us were big inventors even back then" Issac chuckled "It was almost impossible for it to work..but it did. It had a few side effects like increased resistance to poison and the antidote made me feel drunk".

"But what's that got to do with now" asked Catherine who was clearly touched by the story and had tears in her eyes and was comforting Walker.

Issac just sighed "Oats father didn't kill it. He only wounded it, but it is highly likely the bastard is still alive and this cave has been sealed for some time. See where I'm going".

Catherine and Walker nodded.

"Good lets get this over with then" with that Issac picked up his pace

"Is he-"

Oats cut Catherine off "Don't ask".

The silence was..........awkward.

Oats stopped.

"The whispers.....there back."....................

XXX

"SEARCH GLAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! WE ARE LEAVING" Daring shouted as she bounded down the cave at ludicrous speed.

Five more minutes.... Search Glass said groggily, it was just past five am after all. Celestia's sun hadn't even come up yet

"No, no and no" Daring said in quickly

"But why I thought you didn't what to head back down the mountain" Search Glass replied with annoyance.

"Some...thing is in here with us. Something I have never seen before." Daring said while she packed up her equipment in a hurry.

"So you have the courage to talk down a dragon statue but not a strange thing in a cave." Search dead-panned

"One! It was a statue, what was it going to do? Two! We are in a dark cave and there is a strange monster that easily reaches about 6.5 feet. Three! It can melt ice with some sort of acid it produces."

"So how do we get back in the middle of the night?" Search said and was now wide awake.

"We use this" Daring said pulling out a crystal

"A way point stone? Aren't through's incredibly rare? Search said in awe.

"You are talking to a treasure hunter and adventurer you know" Daring dead-panned.

"Oh right sorry" Search said feeling slightly embarrassed. "But where did you find it?"

"It was a present from a old friend of mine" Daring said fondly "The crazy fool, inspired me to do adventuring. Always going on about stars and galaxy....mystery's of the universe.......time travel, the works. Never did tell me his name though ....strange"

"Weren't we in a hurry or something from the strange monster" Search said waving his arms making a ooOOoOoo noise

"Do that again and you leave with a bloody nose" Daring threatened.

"I'm sorry"

"Just don't do it again. Lets go" Daring declared.

"Fine. But don't blame me if I fall asleep" Search moaned still getting the sleep out of his eyes

"That's ok. I will just leave you behind" Daring said playfully increasing her pace.

"Hey wait!"

XXX

"I'M GOING TO BLAST YOU INTO OBLIVION YOU POISONOUS SACK OF PALE FLESH".

"Issac we don't have time for this we need to get out of here".

"What is that putrid thing".

"YAY it's Gig how ya been. How did Issac taste. Reunion party so much to plan so little time. Burnt fried noodles or charcoal meat".

"HEY MY COOKING IS NOT THAT BAD".

"You humans are strange"

"Aren't you supposed to be chasing us?"

"Oh right sorry slight brain damage and I'm blind so forgive me"

"Its ok"

"Thanks"

...

After a long pause the chase continued as the Gigginox bore down on the five hunters.

10 years after the cave was sealed the monster was a lot bigger, faster and stronger than before. It used the wall to chase after them. Skilfully jumping from one wall to the next and sometimes on the ceiling while spitting poison vomit balls. Most hunters could face a Gigginox and fair fairly well as long as they avoided its poison. However the cave was almost pitch black and the monster had the jump on them so Oats didn't want to risk a battle in which they were at a clear disadvantage but Issac had other ideas.

"How is this thing seeing us? I thought it was blind?" Catherine yelled as she sprinted along side Issac.

"Essence. Think of it like a kind of echo location" he screamed.

In the world of monster hunters there is a mysterious force called Essence. Essence is an aura that surrounds all living things in the world. Its mysterious property's is what allows such monsters like the Giggnox to exists. Through evolution the monsters have learned to harness essence to allow them to use unique powers. The Gigginox's essence allows it to see in the dark like passive night vision even when blinded in this case. It also allows it to spit balls of poison by encasing it in essence and to cling to walls by flowing it through its claws.

After running for a good ten minuets Issac finally pulled out his bow gun and spun around. Using the ice to carry him forward he loaded a few shells into it and took aim and activated his essence.

Hunters have only recently been able to use essence for themselves. The essence from hunters depend on the person and what weapon they carry. Issac is a gunner so his essence helps him with focus. Using his essence Issac can increase his reaction and reflex speed dramatically, so much so that time literately slow down from his point of view allowing him to set up and empty his guns ammo in less than 2 seconds. However the longer he is using this ability he becomes mentally tired and needs frequent breaks in-between.

Time indeed seemed to come to a stand still. The cave became brighter. Issac's eyes glowed a faint blue as he lined up a perfect shot. The shell left the gun slowly. Issac could see every detail as he saw the shells flight path. The casing split open and a small explosive charge shot out with increased speed. The charge flew into the Gigginox's maw and exploded.

After the blast Issac's time returned to normal as the monster tripped at the sudden pain in its mouth screeching as it did so and as Issac's ice slide came to a stop he pulled out another gun. This one was bigger than the last one and had red scales covering it.

Not wasting any time Issac assumed a rapid fire stance (which is like a crouch but you dig yourself in). Oats and the rest of the team took note of hiss sudden attack and moved in to assist.

"Dam it Issac we need to go" Oats said sternly as his compact bow snapped open.

"It nearly killed me ten years ago so the least I could do is rough him up a bit" Issac said with a sly grin behind his mouth guard.

"Fine but you get the bar tab when we get back" Oats replied heartily, there was no point in arguing with Issac

The Gigginox however had recovered from its explosive digestion (insert terrible joke) and bounded at the the hunters. "You escaped me before but not now, not now notnownotnownotnonwnotnow It screamed madly.

Tich rushed forward to meet it half way and swung his huge sword at the monster catching its head with the blunt side.

Heavy swordsmen like Tich tend to be tough and highly resistant to damage as well as being demonically strong, in Tich's case he is similar to a train. Strong, heavy and hits like one too. So its no surprise that the the great sword that easily weighed two tons was swung like a stick in Tich's twitchy hands

The sword's shock visibly ripped the Gigginox's skin before the momentum kicked in and sent the monster crashing into the cave's wall.

As the dust and shattered ice settled a huge crack shot up the wall that the Gigginox had crashed into.

"This is bad we need to move now, the cave is getting unstable now" Oats commanded as the crack became longer. Tich ran back with surprising speed avoiding sharp ice spikes falling from the roof and charging straight through at a shattered rock which crumbled in half.

Issac however was still in his dug in stance and looked ready to take another shot.

"Issac we need to go NOW!" Oats cried avoiding a few spikes himself.

"One more shot and its all over" Issac muttered, drowning out all other noise as a spike narrowly missed his shoulder.

"Tich grab Issac and run" Oats commanded.

Tich gave a cry as if to say yes and he charged through rocks and lumps of ice.

But before he could reach Issac the Gigginox had recovered from the forceful shock and had got a head start. Although Tich was faster and hadn't received a blow to the head that would knock most monsters out the Gigginox was ignoring the spikes that rained down from the roof buying it valuable time. Gathering up its strength it launched a poison ball straight at Issac. But the shot landed next to Issac splashing next to him but still some of the goo cover his right arm.

Tich had however caught up with the monster and rammed in to the side as he rushed ahead to save his friend. He grabbed Issac round the belly and continued running without missing beat or slowing down And ran along side Oats who injected him with the blue liquid from the jars.

"Where are the girls?" Tich said excitedly, enjoying every passing minute.

"When you smashed the Gig I told them to retreat back to the village first so that we could lead it away from everyone" Oats said between breaths. "Tell you what though. That was one hell of a swing Tich.

"NOBODY HURTS MY FRIENDS" Tich roared.

BANG

Oats turned around to see at his dismay a krag round flying towards the ceiling.

The wind was knocked out Issac's lungs when Tich forcefully grabbed him and the antidote made him feel drunk. But he had to get one last shot to seal of the cave again but had yet to realize they weren't heading back to the village.

The round stuck in the ceiling for a few seconds. The seconds seemed like hours before the round exploded. The cave gave a mighty groan and the walls began to crumble. Pieces of ice larger than a man crashed down a round them as they ran down the collapsing cave system.

"I see a light guys" Tich cried ecstatically.

"Then what are we waiting for" Oats giddily as the adrenaline took over

The light at the end of the tunnel grew larger and a strange smell hit there noses.

"Is that a cake I smell" Oats said rather strangely.

"OMG CAKE" Tich cried.

"Ima gonna eatsss that cake first" Issac said drunkenly

The light grew brighter until the hunters burst through into a colourful......bakery?

Tich threw Issac into the bakery first, using his essence to give him extra strength.

Issac shot through the bakery window and crashed into a few tables spilling some coffee and cup cakes and alarming a few strange residences.

Oats was next through the window landing clumsily on his feet a drew out a dijin and took a fighting stance.


Tich crashed through the window as the Giggiox came through as well.

The Gigginox pinned Tich down and stretched its neck to swipe at Oats knocking him onto his feet. Since It had used most of its poison up already it had to get physical and it went to attack Oats again. Oats was ready for this and activated his essence. A nearby table warped and reformed into a a huge gauntlet and attached itself to Oats hand. Taking a deep breath he focused all his energy into his shoulder and punched.

Tich was strong due to his essence which acted like a extra set of muscles. Even though Oats was not as strong as Tich the impact was still dominant as the Gigginox crashed through the bakery wall into the street.

"Dude you just decked Gig in the face" Issac said, still drunk from the antidote. "You are like 20% cooler now".

"Not now Issac just stay here. "Tich, lets bounce" Oats ordered and they both went after the Gig.

"Issac picked up a rather small seat and sat down at a nearby table and took a swig of the coffee that was still there. Issac looked around and saw a brightly colored horse thing looking in both shock and awe.

"Oh great now I'm seeing the colourful thing as well. Stupid antidote." Issac said as the coffee slowly made him sober. but not before Issac saw a colourful looking cannon in a closet that had the door torn off by the Gig.

Issac smiled.

"Time to have some fun"

Author's Note:

Sorry this took so long. Writers block is a pain in the neck to deal with but I'm get back into writing so the next chapter will be out sooner. Oh and check out some of the past chapters. I put some pics so you can see what the monsters look like. Oh and here are what Oats Issac and Tich look like.

Issac:
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100302065446/monsterhunter/images/a/ab/MH3-HvyBowGun.png

Tich:
http://images.wikia.com/monsterhunter/images/5/5b/Gravios-Hammer.jpg

Oats:http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2012/288/3/0/commission__monster_hunter_yukumo_by_serenamidori-d5hyn5q.png
(all images copyrights go to there respected owners)