• Published 8th Jul 2013
  • 2,363 Views, 78 Comments

Becoming Daring Do - ThunderChaserCreate



When Rainbow Dash gets roped into an impersonation gig involving Daring Do, things manage to get out of hoof rather quickly.

  • ...
7
 78
 2,363

Dressup

I awoke the next morning in my own bed, no sign of Soarin. What exactly had happened last night? I think I fell asleep outside... then Soarin had picked me up... had he carried me all the way here?

I didn't really know how to feel about that. First off, he should have just woken me up and let me fly myself home. Secondly, if I had refused to go with him, leaving me there was a good option.

But... still, carrying me home from there was pretty romantic. At least, I thought so.

Gosh... handsome and strong. Guess I'm a pretty lucky mare.

At least that couple of minutes spent together could now be bumped up to a solid few hours. I sat up in bed, stretching as I climbed down from the mattress. I made my way to a small vanity, combing my forelock exactly twice and turning to leave when...

I thought maybe I should clean myself up a bit. I went to my tiny bathroom, squeezing around the sink and the toilet as I hopped into the shower. I cleaned like nopony had ever cleaned before, scouring myself until fur started to flutter off. I scrubbed generous amounts of sweet-smelling goop into my mane and tail, creating suds that threatened to drip into my eyes. I picked dirt and other crud out of my hooves, then stepped out, shaking the topmost water off. I snatched a towel, opening the door out of the steam-filled bathroom, and set about drying myself.

It's hard to do without magic, but I dried and combed my hair, leaving it silky smooth and smelling like honey. I put little sparkly hair bands in the ends of my mane and tail, kind of like Applejack does. Sparkles were originally something to be avoided at all costs, but the little white ties had been gifts from Rarity, and they made me look... nicer. Cleaner.

I trotted toward the door, drifting down to the ground. I wanted to talk to Scootaloo. I mean, she shouldn't be too hard to find, she always seemed to be looking for me, anyway.

I started over to Applejack's barn, knowing that the little clubhouse the Cutie Mark Crusaders had was usually full by this time. I caught several ponies stealing glances at me, surprised that the most well-known tomboy was now starting to look like a mare.

"Oh! Rainbow Dash, you look beautiful!" Shouted a familiar voice. I whirled to see Rarity, leaving the Fabric Emporium as she caught sight of me.

"T-thanks, Rare. I just showered," I told her, continuing towards the farm.

"No! You did your hair so beautifully!" She gasped, "Is this for your new coltfriend?"

"Geez, Rare, say it a little louder. Let's get the whole town to hear it this time," I complained sarcastically, ushering her towards the door to the Boutique.

"Sorry, dear. It's just-- oh, you look wonderful!" she closed the door, getting a good look at me, "Ooh, you need an accent! Hold on, I have just the thing," she ran into the next room.

I sighed, throwing my head back in agony, "Please, don't do this. I'm gonna be here for an hour. I just wanted to go talk to Scootaloo."

Rarity screamed shrilly, yet joyfully, and I winced at the sound, "Are you adopting?"

"Celestia, no! Ew, god Rarity! I just wanna talk to her!"

"Just cautiously optimistic dear! Ooh, I found them!" Rarity emerged, holding two silvery pieces of metal, "These are wing bands. They have this little clasp so you can fasten them around the bottom of your wings. They're very plain, so you don't have to worry about your precious reputation. They're just to dress you up a bit more."

I took a closer look at the bands, which had a swirling design carved into it, "I guess... they are kinda pretty." Rarity started to squeal again, but I stuck a hoof in her mouth, "Are you okay, Rare?"

She pushed my hoof away, "Yes, I'm fine. I'm just-- oh, I'm so happy for you!" She attacked me in a hug, the metal jewelry clanging to the floor.

"Ummm... because I'm going to wear wing bands?"

"Because you're in love!"

~~~~~

I had managed to dodge Applejack on my way out to the clubhouse. I was wearing Rarity's jewelry, which was a bit tight for my liking, but I left it on just the same.

I tapped a hoof on the little wood door, "Scoots? Ya in there?"

"Rainbow Dash?!" called an excited voice. There was some tense whispering, and Scootaloo opened the door a crack, "Yeah?"

"Hey, Scoots! I wanted to--"

"Whoa!" Scootaloo opened the door fully, getting a good look at my new appearance, "Rainbow, you look-- I mean, you're--"

"Yeah, I know, I know," I cut her off with a dismissive wave, "I just wanted to talk to you. It's about Daring Do."

Scootaloo, turned, shooing the other members of the CMC back into the clubhouse, then she walked out and shut the door, "What about Daring Do?" she gasped, "Did you get a hold of the new book?!"

"No, no. I just-- look, I met a colt and he's into the books, too. We kinda wanted to do this prank-type thing where we dress up like the characters, run through a crowded street shouting stuff, do some stunts and then disappear. You know, for fun," I lied blatantly, hoping that I could get Soarin in on this later, telling him it was Scoots idea. After all, it could be kind of fun.

"That's sounds so awesome!" She bounced up and down a few times, then tried to give me a hug. I was about to return it when she flinched and backed off.

"You can hug me, kid," I told her, confused by her fear, "I don't bite."

As soon as I said so, I was wrapped in a tight embrace. Dear Celestia, Scootaloo is so darn cute!

"So, when are we gonna do that?" Scootaloo asked, her endearing round eyes staring up at me in pleasure.

"Um..." I was nearly caught in my lie, "We're going to need to get that straightened out eventually, but for now just find a costume. You're going to be Small Fry, and you need the right baseball cap and stuff."

"Awesome! Thanks Rainbow!" She hugged me again, more of just a pat on the shoulders than a squeeze, and galloped back inside.

I sighed, hanging my head in shame as I walked away. Who was I kidding? Was I really going to get Soarin to go for this?

~~~~~

"That sounds cool! That little friend you've got is pretty smart!" Soarin grinned, imagining the scene to come.

"You think so?" I asked tentatively.

He wrapped his wing around me, "Yeah! I mean, who wouldn't want to do something like that? You get to be your hero, and it's fun for the other ponies, too!"

"Yeah, that's the part I'm not too sure about," I murmured.

"Why? It sounds cool!"

"Well," I hid behind my hair, "I don't know, it's just-- there's always some party-pooper who reports stuff like that."

"To who? We'll disappear into the Everfree, then head to Cloudsdale. Nopony will ever catch us! We're the fastest ponies alive!"

"Maybe so, but... Scootaloo can't fly. I'd have to carry her."

"Well, she's a pegasus, right? Is she that young?"

"She's sort of... stunted. Her wings are too small. She'll be fine once we get her up there, but she'll slow us down," I explained.

"Hmmm... we'll have to work on that. But, first things first, costumes! I've got a big wardrobe!" He was about to take off, but I grabbed his tail between my teeth, giving it a yank back down to a sitting position.

"My friend Rarity's a fashion designer. She'll do us up right," I hopped down from the edge of the small cloud we were on, spreading my wings and gliding down to the ground. Soarin followed, and I trotted towards Ponyville.

"There's another problem: William's a unicorn. How're we going to fake that?"

"We'll breeze by so fast, they won't have time to look that hard. We'll be sure to get you a fake horn, at least," I waved it off.

I could see Rarity's Boutique, which was welcome in the sea of staring eyes. It's funny how fast you forget that you're famous for saving the town, and that you're dating a Wonderbolt.

I ushered Soarin into the Boutique, clicking the door quietly shut behind me. I could hear that Rarity was with a client, and even recognized the voice to belong to the eccentric Lyra Heartstrings. I wandered over quietly, poking my head through the doorway and tapping my hoof on the frame.

Rarity turned to look, waving hello before she continued to pin up a rather... odd form of clothing on the mint unicorn.

She saw me staring and said, "They're pants. Shut up."

"I... didn't say anything."

"No, but you were thinking about saying something."

I mouthed 'sorry' at her, leaving to talk to Soarin again. He was quiet for a moment, then he said, "I've been meaning to tell you: I like your hair."

I grinned, "Really?"

"Yeah. You look beautiful."

I smiled again, but this time at the floor.

I heard Rarity exclaim in delight as she finished. This was shortly followed by Lyra trotting past me, nose in the air, wearing her... 'pants.'

"Alright, now what is it you wanted to--" Rarity's sentence dropped off, along with her jaw, when she glanced over at Soarin, "Oh my goodness... are you two...?"

He nodded. "Uh... together? Yeah."

Rarity elbowed me. "It is very nice to meet you. What's your name?"

"Soarin...?" he was looking a touch scared by her huge, shining eyes.

"Rares, give the stallion some room to breathe!" I pulled her away a bit.

"Wait a minute... Soarin..."

"I'm Co-Captain of the Wonderbolts, if you follow them at all," Soarin explained.

"Oh! Rainbow, you didn't tell me he was so famous and sought-after!" Rarity exclaimed, verging on squeals.

"Please! Calm down! We need you to do a job for us. A big job. In secret."

~~~~~

"Well, we'll need to dye your mane and coats... and we'll need some sort of brace to hold your wings down, Soarin, so you appear to be a normal unicorn. We can get some sort of tiara to be the horn--"

"A tiara?!" Soarin looked disgusted, with good reason, "I did not sign up for a complete transformation, and most certainly not a tiara."

Rarity groaned, "Well, we could paint you, if you'd prefer. It'd probably be easier to wash off, anyway. As for the horn, I'd have to make something custom... some type of helmet, maybe? Let me take your measurements, both of you, and I'll get started on the costumes."

"You're the best Rare. I owe you one," I gave her a quick squeeze before she went for her tape measure.

"You're darn right you do," she muttered.