• Published 7th Jul 2013
  • 1,410 Views, 42 Comments

The Cycle Anew - ManeWriter

  • ...
13
 42
 1,410

Know Thy Enemy

One simple word.

One simple word was all it took. All that could've even been used to describe the wonder. A simple word that seemed to dominate Twilight Sparkle's vocabulary.

"Woooooow..."

Awestruck and bewildered to the very limit of mental stimuli, Twilight gazed unto her surroundings; not even stopping to question how any of what she was experiencing was remotely possible.

Her hooves shook weakly at the dizzying vertigo that assaulted her. Her equilibrium was thrown almost completely off. And each thought sent numbing pulses through her body.

And yet, there was no other word for it, but 'wow'.

"What is this place?", she whispered in dumbfounded amazement.

"A realm that is everywhere at once. Yet nowhere to be found."

The, now freed, Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony casually floated down in front of his new, and very unusual guest.

"Welcome, Twilight Sparkle, to my true Archive.", Discord greeted with a rather proud grin.

The bottomless void of the Endless Unknown. An ocean of stars blanketing the blackness. Swirling polychronic anomalies twisting and expanding into one another. A breath-taking blue planet adorning the view with it's bright sun peeking from beyond. And the coup de grace...

Books. Books everywhere. Literally.

"This place is... simply... Woooooow...", she awed again.

"Eh. You get used to it.", Discord casually shrugged, "But I didn't bring you here for the scenery, my dear. We have work to do"

The Spirit's words were heeded as he spoke them. Twilight shook her wonderment as best she could, and focused upon Discord.

"Yes. I'm ready.", she said solidly.

Discord smiled mischievously, and tapped his fingers together.

"Oh, are you now? As it stands, you can barely see straight with all of this going on. I mean, look at you! Your like epileptic rag-doll on a mission! Do you really think you're ready for the knowledge that I have to share, my little pony?"

For reasons she didn't understand, Twilight smiled at Discord's words; taking them as a challenge of wits.

"No way! This place flips my whole life upside down! But I've come this far. Not a chance I'm gonna let this detour me!", she declared. The dizziness in her voice, painfully obvious.

Discord could only cackle as he spiraled in the air like a drunken serpent.

"Excellent! You are unhealthily determined! A trait we both share. And you're honest. That is another!", the draconequus landed upon the non-existent floor with ease, "What do you wish to know?"

Twilight's vertigo began to take its tole as she started to relax. She couldn't resist the urge to curl her forelegs to the floor (or, lack thereof) and lye down.

She collected herself as best she could and hardened her focus. What she was about to ask was far too critical for a lazy mind.

"Discord, I have to know. What are we up against? Just what is Sovereign?"

The wily Spirit frowned ever-so slightly as he heard the question.

With a snap of his talons, a picture-perfect image of the being itself, appeared before them both. Hulking and gargantuan in all of its terrible glory. Twilight stopped herself from jumping in fear, as she realized it was only an illusion.

"While it's origin and how it came to be are still a conundrum to me, its purpose has been made all too clear during my studies. Sovereign is a Machine, a living, sentient Machine whose sole purpose is to cleanse our world of advanced civilization after a set time period. The Humans have come to know these soulless beasts, as Reapers."

Twilight's ears perked indefinitely at those words. Reaper. A name she would soon not forget.

"Their size, immeasurable. Their power, incomprehensible.", Discord elaborated.

"A Machine? That thinks for itself? But that's crazy! How could something like that even live on Equestria, let alone our world, and be undetected for 50,000 years? That makes no sense!", Twilight pried.

Discord summoned a tall glass of rich chocolate milk, and absently sipped from it as he paced around the eager unicorn.

"The Reapers are not from our world, Twilight Sparkle. If my studies have uncovered one thing, its that they can survive anywhere.", Discord said.

Twilight stared down into the nausea inducing void below her, when a, unnerving realization dawned on her.

"Are you telling me that these... Reapers... are floating somewhere above us?"

"Psh! In simpleton terms, yeah. I guess I am.", Discord mocked carelessly.

The red eyed draconequus ignored the agitated glare from Twilight as he continued.

"Wherever Sovereign is, it has been waiting and plotting for eons. Watching. Calculating. Whatever its plan is, it has something to do with the rest of it's kind. Of that, I'm almost certain."

"I see. So... what about the artifact at Canterlot Palace? Somehow, its connected with both the Reapers and the Humans. But I still don't understand it. What does that strange resonance mean?", Twilight asked out of sheer remembrance.

At this, Discord almost dropped his glass of chocolate milk.

"Wait. How in the-? Are you saying that that thing is still going off?", Twilight nodded to confirm, "But... its been almost 2,000 years. How-..."

"Two thous-! Discord! You've known about this for that long?!", Twilight nearly shrieked, "What have you been doing all this time?! Why haven't you warned anypony!"

The Spirit guffawed at the unicorn's impatience.

"Um, hello? Spirit of Chaos? Ruled Equestria in a state of eternal unrest? Tormented the living hay out of everypony within 1000 miles? Not a single one of them heeded my warnings!", Discord clarified with a strangely satisfied glee.

"How could you be so lax about this?! Do you have any idea what kind of difference that would've made?! How much time we could've-"

"-Well, its definitely too late for that now.", Discord interjected, "Besides, having all over those ignorant bumpkins in the way would have interfered with my studies. Hay, it was bad enough your little Princesses got in my way. I missed out on a whole millennium of researching, you know."

When Discord put the situation in that light, Twilight seemed a little crest-fallen.

She too had a taste of what it was like to have nopony believe. With those ponies being her very best friends, it was a rather deep blow.

"Maybe... Maybe you're right.", she murmured.

Discord slid beside Twilight in a more relaxed position, and hung his lion paw around her.

"Now, now, Twilight Sparkle. No need to be so melodramatic! Thinkers like us are always being cast to the way-side for brilliance that nopony understands! And that is why I know what I know now. Its a blessing, my dear!", Discord cheerfully proclaimed.

In a weird way, the draconequus had made a disturbingly valid point.

Twilight had been a loner for most of her life, save for Spike. She had always thrown everything she was into her studies, and nopony had forced her to do it.

It was all in the endless pursuit of knowledge. Knowledge that, in the grand scheme of things, was not common in the least.

And as it stood, no matter how strange or foreign it felt, Discord seemed to be the only living creature who understood that as much as she did. It was welcoming.

"Yeah. I guess so.", Twilight smiled despite herself.

Discord took to the air again, and swam through the stars in a dazzling figure-eight. He laughed with joy and freedom that he had long missed.

"That's the spirit! Never forget your true calling!"

Twilight felt a strange buzz go off in her chest as she found herself appreciating the Spirit's words.

It was absurd how she could feel anything but contempt for him. Hell, it was weird enough just being around him on neutral terms. But when he elaborated his understanding of her nature, it was almost as if he accepted her.

Her thoughtful muse was abruptly shattered as she felt her body become airborne.

"H-Hey! Whats going on?!", she shrieked.

Discord circled the confused mare as he continued to laugh.

"Just look at all the tomes of knowledge, Twilight Sparkle! Documents and records a many! All just waiting to reveal their secrets! Come on now! Secrets and treasures don't unlock themselves, you know!", he laughed vigorously.

For reasons beyond her understanding, Twilight was suddenly overcome with dread.

"W-Wait! weren't you just gonna answer my questions?! How am I supposed to-"

Her words were ended swiftly by the shrill of her screams as she was launched through the air; hurdling toward the seemingly countless clouds of books.

"NAAAAH! I can't stop! How do I control it?!"

"Control? Pfffft-WOOahahahahaaa! My dear, Twilight Sparkle! You must embrace the Chaos! Let it take you to a depth of understanding beyond your wildest dreams!", he cackled in delight.

Twilight screamed helplessly as her body soared further and further with no sign of stopping.

"DISCOOOOOORD!"

The echoing void of the Endless Unknown resounded a laughter it had not been assaulted by for a thousand years. Joyously. Hopelessly. Endearingly; Discord could only laugh.

Ruffles in the vegetation of the Everyfree Forest disturbed the peace as a shadowy character emerged.

After enough visits, she had come to know this area quite well. Her visits had engraved such a vivid remembrance, she would have to try to get lost.

Any other pony would have been proud of this. But not her. Not when she had her destination in sight.

Ponyville.

A naturally laid back country town with a thick, lived-in feel to it. A small, yet welcoming town with inhabitants friendly and kind. A simple town, known for it's simple pleasures. A town where everypony knew everypony else.

Oh, how she hated this town.

As she closed in, the shady mare paused in her tracks, and took another moment to collect her thoughts and her bravery

As she, and no doubt the townsfolk, could recall, she didn't exactly leave Ponyville on the best of terms. And that was being blindly polite.

All the same, she concluded that her objective was far more important than passed grievances.

Whether anypony else felt similar, or not, was none of her concern.

She regrouped her thoughts and steeled her resolve. Step by uneasy step, she closed in on Ponyville. And, as she had strongly expected, was not greeted warmly.

As she took her first step into the town, her name was spat out in disgust and displeasure by ponies abound.

Her anticipation of this had granted her the cold barrier that deflected such hostility.

With her head held high, and her eyes narrowed in focus, the mysterious mare marched onward; responding to any biting profanities with a quieted 'hmph', or stone-cold silence.

These ponies weren't important to her. Their feelings and grudges weren't important to her.

All that mattered was her objective. And after a seemingly endless trek through this most hated town, it was in her sights.

Ponyville Library.

Despite the glares of contempt, the threats and aggressive gestures from the towns Earth Ponies, Unicorns, and Pegasi alike, the determined mare smiled, and adjusted the saddle bags around her flanks. Within that giant tree resided her objective.

And nopony, big or small, would stand in her way.

"I'm tellin' y'all, something just ain't sitting right with me!", an irritated Applejack declared.

Five of the Mane Six had made themselves at home in the Ponyville library, and discussed a strangely sensitive matter.

"I must agree, Applejack.", Rarity chimed with a hoof to her chin, "Twilight has been acting very strange, as of late."

The heated farm pony paced about the wooden floor; racking her brain over passed events.

"Strange? That girl's actin' nuttier than a squirrel on the first day of Fall! I didn't mind it so much at first, but this?! There somethin' screwy goin' on 'round here!"

Had this been any other conversation, Rainbow Dash would have been lounging on one of the couches. But she too had to admit that there were strange goings on afoot. And it was starting to concern her.

"Disappearing for days on end? Locking herself in this Library more than usual? I mean just LOOK at this place!", the cyan pegasus exclaimed as she emphasized with her hoofs.

Indeed, the Library had been thrown into a state of disorganization and muddle.

The Twilight Sparkle that was known an loved by her friends would never leave her home in such disarray, if she could help it.

Pinky Pie, now soured by an uncomfortable worry, lifted one of the sprawled tomes into her hoof; trying her damnedest to be optimistic.

"Oh, come on, girls! I'm sure Twily has a perfectly good reason! Doesn't she always?", she suggested with a noticeably forced smile.

Applejack snapped her head toward the pink earth pony.

"Sneakin' out when she needed rest. Ditchin' us at the Renaissance. Randomly poppin' in and out of town for days at a time. Lockin' herself up without more than three words? I reckon there ain't no good reason for how she's been actin'!", the green eyed mare protested.

Pinkie's puffy mane drooped ever so slightly.

"Well yeah, but-..."

"Pinkie, Dear. Even you have to admit that Twilight's actions have been far less... charitable than usual.", Rarity gently insisted, "Just look at poor little Spikey Wikey!"

At this, Rainbow Dash flew up to the second floor, where the sickly baby dragon lie in his basket. She adjusted the damp cloth over his forehead and gazed unto the thermometer under his tongue.

Her face twisted with pity for Spike.

"Yeah. Poor little dude's been worryin' himself sick.", she carefully murmured as not to wake the sleeping assistant, "He's been stressin' this ever since Twilight's little coma."

Applejack stomped her hoof to the wooden floor with a steady conviction.

"Well, he ain't gonna be frettin' for much longer, 'cause we're gonna get to the bottom of this!", she said.

As chatters and cheers rang throughout the library, Fluttershy pursed her lips together. Her soul was screaming at her to tell them what she felt. To tell them that Twilight had a damn good reason for her actions.

To tell them that she was likely scouring her resources to uncover the truth about Sovereign.

Honestly, the saffron pegasus wasn't one-hundred percent sure of it herself. But what she did know was that one of her best friends was going through Hell in a ham-basket, and the only thing her other friends were doing was chastising her behind her back.

It was so unfair.

But why, then, did Fluttershy not speak up? Was it not her obligation as a good friend to defend the honor of her companion? Was it not in her nature, to stick up for those she cared for when it mattered most?

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

All other talks, chatters and thoughts were ceased by the incessant knocking at the library door.

Excitement overran Rainbow Dash as she zipped passed everypony and stopped before the door.

Applejack threw on her determined 'mean-face' and nodded for her cyan friend to proceed. Anticipation abound, Rainbow Dash's eyes gleamed as she swung the door open, ready to give Twilight the verbal beat-down of a lifetime.

What she saw, however, warranted a more hostile reaction.

"YOU!"

Everpony else in the library whisked around Rainbow Dash, and shared similar reactions.

The pony at the door grunted; making her displeasure of being in their company, very obvious.

"Ugh! Of all the atrocities to be faced with!", the mare chided.

The odd guest could barely get another word in before being viciously tackled to the ground by a combative Rainbow Dash.

"What the hay do you think YOU'RE doing here, Trixie?!"

Indeed it was. Lying beneath the furious pegasus was none other that the 'Great and Powerful' Trixie. The azure unicorn glared fearlessly into Rainbow's eyes, but threw on a fake smile.

"Oh, Trixie was just in the area, and she spotted a gorgeous chunk of land that would be perfect for a relaxing summer home-what the BUCK do you think I'm doing here?!"

Oh, the insolence! The downright disrespect! And from Trixie of all ponies?! Even after all this time, she still carried that stench of arrogance with her.

Unable to even fathom taking such remarks from the show-boat, Rainbow Dash reeled back, and waved her hooves wildly.

"I think you're here for a face readjustment!", she roared.

How utterly satisfying it would have been. Rainbow Dash was confident that smashing her hooves into the arrogant mare's face would bring her self-gratification beyond her wildest dreams.

Unfortunately for her, Applejack had other plans.

"Hold on there, Rainbow!"

The orange mare's words issued a prompt and VERY unwanted halt to the cyan pegasus' actions. Rainbow Dash groaned with displeasure as her hooves landed harmlessly beside Trixie's head.

"Lets... give her a chance to explain herself.", Applejack said uneasily.

The polychromatic pony would've have thrown a very protestant argument had she not known what Applejack was getting at, but that didn't make it any easier.

Once free to move again, Trixie rose to her hooves and blew a loose strand of her hair from her face.

"And you say I'm the brute?", Trixie spat with a sneer.

"That's enough outta you, Trixie!", Applejack shouted; prompting a sharp jump from her. "If'n you recall, you said you wasn't gonna set hoof in Ponyville again! So how's about you show a little respect?!"

The azure mare cursed herself for showing even the smallest semblance of weakness to the five ponies before her. Yet she found herself slightly intimidated by the gaggle of them glaring into her eyes.

Applejack adjusted her Stetson and kept her eye-contact strong.

"Now, speak real plain-like, Trixie. What. Do. You. Want?"

It was clear from the get-go that this wouldn't be easy. Trixie just didn't expect to be haunted by so many irksome draw-backs all at once.

"Ah! If you must know, Trixie was looking for Twilight Sparkle.", she huffed with a roll to her eyes.

Pinkie Pie jumped from behind the crowd and got right in Trixie's face.

"HA! Just as I suspected! Well, too bad for you, she's not here!", she shrieked.

Feeling a powerful animosity within her, Rarity's horn began to glow.

"State your business and your reasons with haste, Despot! You are not welcome here...", she hissed dangerously.

As the situation unfolded, it seemed that Trixie's goal was becoming progressively more illusive.

She suspected that the five mares spoke the truth of Twilight's absence, but she was all too aware that leaving was not an option.

By any means.

"I have important matters I must discuss with her. That is all you need to know.", Trixie coldly retorted.

The first to shout in undeniable protest was, of course, Rainbow Dash; shoving Pinkie Pie out of the way and establishing her own challenging glare.

"That's nowhere NEAR good enough! Either you come clean, or you hit the road, Trixie!", her voice scratched more than usual, "You can start by tellin' us whats in the bags!"

Needless to say, Trixie became a little impatient at the lack of results. Even more so with the troublesome mares that were the main cause if her grief.

Somehow or another, she had to think her way around this.

"I hardly think that's any of your business!", the white haired unicorn defended, " And as for my engagements with your friend; suffice it to say that I have information that she may find very interesting. For her ears only."

Before either one of the meddlesome mares could even breath to rebuttal, Trixie held up a silencing hoof.

"Trixie understands that Twilight is away, and she would like to wait for her."

This time Applejack stood before her again with eyes as stern and cold as ever.

"You wanna wait for Twilight? Fine. Reckon I can't see the harm in that.", she said.

Trixie breathed a sigh of relief that she had made some progress, and opted to enter the library.

"Oh, thank heavens. At least one of you is reasona-OOF!", her words were cut by a strong, unmoving hoof blocking her path, "What are-?"

"I said you could wait for her. But ya ain't stayin' here.", Applejack sternly commanded with an extra glare for good measure.

Trixie's anger was beginning to surface. Why did things have to be so complicated?!

"Surely you jest! Where on Equestria would you have me wait, if not at her own dwelling?!", the angered show-boat protested.

"Psh! You can stay at Froggy-bottom Bog, for all I give a hoot! Now take your little saddle bags and get!", Applejack ordered with a swift, pointing hoof, "Check back in an hour or so."

Trixie could barely get another syllable in before the wooden door was slammed cruelly into her muzzle.

She reeled back from the sharp pain, and fell on her haunches. She held her face; muttering light curses under her breath.

Nothing seem to be going Trixie's way that day. Was it too much to ask to talk to one mare?!

The unfairness of her situation soared her anger to a concerning height. The former show-pony shot to her hooves and glared at nothing in particular.

Her pride and her dignity were bruised enough as it was. And as fate would have it, forgiveness seemed far out of her reach.

Trixie's glare craned to the ground as she blinked back the detestable tears of weakness. She was so angry at her current helplessness that she could only curse under her breath; wishing there was another way to accomplish her goal.

However, just as she was about abandon all hope, the unthinkable happened.

"Trixie? What are you doing here?"

The voice was a call from the heavens. A drink of cold water from an oasis in the blistering desert. A candle lit inside of a room long since devoid of light.

Trixie turned back and saw the very object of her goals: Twilight Sparkle. The azure unicorn turned away and wiped any trace of moisture that may have shown in her eyes.

"Twilight Sparkle.", Trixie said as she turned to face her fellow mare, "You haven't the faintest idea how long I'd been searching for you."

The lavender unicorn was genuinely surprised by Trixie's relieved tone. She dared say that the former show-pony was actually happy to see her. But that assumption only begged questions.

"Can I help you with something?". she kindly offered.

Twilight's air of generous understanding was a breath of fresh air for Trixie. She hadn't even realized that a smile tugged at her face as she clarified.

"Perhaps not. But I can help you.", she said.

Sensing Twilight's bafflement, Trixie walked forward, and motioned to be followed. As fate would have it, and MUCH to Trixie's chagrin, however, the purple eyed protege had to decline.

"I'm sorry, Trixie. But I haven't seen my friends in days. And this wouldn't be the first time.", Twilight explained with a twinge shame, "I have to make things right with them. They might be very upset with me."

"But, Twilight, I... I..."

"Hey! I've got an idea. How about you come inside and re-introduce yourself. I'm sure my friends would like to see a familiar fa-"

"NO!", Trixie shrieked with an uncharacteristic pitch; causing Twilight to jump back a little, "(Ahem) What I mean is, what I have to say is for your ears only."

The lavender unicorn almost laughed at such a thing.

"Oh, Trixie. I'm sure whatever you have to tell me can wait until after I-"

"You saw the visions, Twilight Sparkle. You saw what happened to the Humans, have you not?"

It was strange, but, even though Twilight was not physically doing anything, she stopped dead in her tracks.

The gravity of Trixie's words sent mind rattling vibrations through her brain.

"You... How long have you..."

"Long enough to know that you're in dire need of help.", the white maned mare said, "And who better to help you, than the Great and Powerful, Trixie?!"

Not even acknowledging Trixie's die-hard habit of exacting arrogance, Twilight began sifting through variables and possibilities in her head.

How in the world could she have known about such information? Had she seen the artifact as well? How long had she been aware of the Reaper threat. What information could she have had that Discord didn't?

If there was even a single answer to any of these questions, Twilight was surely not going to find them by speculation. A weighty choice was her to make.

She only prayed that whatever she decided, her friends would forgive her.

"Alright, Trixie.", Twilight conceded, "Lets take a walk."

The azure unicorn could only smile. Not another exchange of speculation was established between the two as they walked flank by flank away from the library.

However, a pair of cerulean eyes stared after them in complete shock.

Fluttershy had been watching them from one of the windows as her other friends talked amongst themselves.

She almost couldn't believe her eyes as she saw the two vacate the area. Whatever Trixie had to tell Twilight, she believed it important enough to trust her, despite everything that had happened between the lot of them.

Fluttershy wasn't one to listen to her gut instinct. She had always been a pony who took her decisions to heart; plowing through countless options before making a relevant choice.

This, however, was not one of those times. She threw caution to the wind, and took to the air; observing the two unicorns with a discerning eye.

Author's Note:

Trixie has arrived, and Discord has proven to be useful, but what does Trixie have to tell Twilight? The next chapter will have possibly the most suspense you will ever read, so please be patient! Also please tell any other bronies or pegasisters about my story, even though I am very surprised about the amount of positive comments. Stay tuned.