• Published 21st Jun 2013
  • 1,657 Views, 25 Comments

Black and White - Dakilladj



Light and Darkness are easy to distinguish. Many think issues are either Good or Bad. I used to think that way as well. Since then, I've learnt that nothing is simply Black or White.

  • ...
8
 25
 1,657

Chapter 1

Celestia’s POV

“Why do I even bother with politics again?” I asked Luna.

“Because it is one of your royal duties?” Luna answered back.

“Well, remind me later to appoint somepony to do that for me. I don’t want to be the mediator of every single argument somepony has with another.” I told Luna.

“If it really is that difficult, than why don’t you have me take your place sometimes?” Luna asked me.

“Because most ponies are not awake during the night or the early morning Luna.” I answered..

“Well, we can change that.” Luna said with a mischievous grin.

“Do not even bring her up.” I warned Luna

“It was a joke Tia, are you really that out of it?” Luna asked me.

“Well, listening to complaints for three hours straight does aggravate me slightly, especially since it took a chunk out of my sleep schedule. I should have been sleeping two hours ago! But they couldn’t just agree on a compromise. No they had to keep arguing about details!” I almost yelled out.

“Well, try to get some rest. If you need me to, I’ll take on some of your regular duties in the morning.” Luna proposed to me.

“Thank you Luna, that would help.” I said

“Goodnight Tia.” Luna said

“Goodnight Wuna” I said

Closing the door, I only wanted to fall onto her bed and get some rest. My shoes, mantle, and crown could take themselves off right? Walking over to my bed, I slowly began to undress. Throwing off my shoes, and flinging my mantle off. I slowly levitated my crown off my head and held it out in front of me. Opening a drawer from my nightstand, I took out a piece of cloth. Polishing my crown in a slow, rhythmic like pattern, I thought to myself.

Do I need more help around the castle? Being a sovereign was very tiring. who would I recruit? Twilight is learning about the friendship of magic, Luna is busying ruling over the night, Shining Armour is in the Crystal Empire with Cadance. What about the guard? Well I don’t think they would have the patience to handle some of the cases I’ve had to go through.

I yawned, derailing my train of thought. Now back inside my royal chambers, my crown was polished. Putting it down on top of my nightstand, I flopped into bed. My vitality was drained, and my mind needed to rest. I found myself drifting off not too long after I put my head down.

I did not know how long it had been since I had fallen asleep. What I do know is that I am no longer in my chambers. I am in a land of grey and ash. I see holes in the ground, with light streaming out of them. I hear distant screams coming from these same holes.

Around me, I began seeing movement. Giant ... rats were scurrying around everywhere, creatures flying overhead, intimidating figures pointed metal cylinders at them. The rats were running around the apes in an attempt to surround them? Loud bangs and flashes came from one end of these contraptions. It seemed to fire an object, whatever the apes pointed the devices at, seemed to be pelted with something.

Thats when I saw the blood, holes appeared in the bodies of the monsters that were unfortunate enough to get in the way. The monsters were not discouraged, it appeared as though this invigorated them. More rats stopped running and began to attack the beings they surrounded. I watched with mute horror as the three beings soon became overwhelmed. As soon as it had begun, it was over. The rats began eating the apes that had tried to fight them.

What is going on? What am I seeing? I honestly had no clue. I heard something behind me, turning around I saw another ape. This one was different from the others. Firstly, it had nothing covering its body like the other apes had. Its face was empty, for lack of a better word. Its eyes were the only feature visible behind a mask it was wearing? It didn’t make any attempt to communicate vocally.

All around the figure, the ground started to fall apart. Everywhere I looked, the ground was falling into a black void. Stepping back, I tried to avoid falling to my doom. Yet the more I moved, the more ground fell apart until I was standing on the last bit of ground in sight.

I lied, the dark ape was also standing on a piece of land that hadn’t fallen into the void. I just stared into its eyes, and it did the same. Then came the headache

It was like something was trying to worm its way into my mind. I put my hooves to my head to try and steady myself. The pain only intensified as the dark ape raised its arms. What is it doing to me? I had to act. Trying to summon my magic, I could only grasp a tenth of it. With that magic, I summoned a fireball. It was shot out of my horn, and it hit the dark ape directly in the chest. As the creature fell, the headache diminished, Allowing me to regain my senses. The ordeal wasn’t over as the creature got up once more and brought his arms up once again.

The headaches now could not compare to the former. It was like a multitude of drills were excavating the inside of my skull. I fell to the ground in pain, unable to focus on anything other than the agony I was going through. Opening my eyes the creature approached me. I saw the ground come out of the void in order to support the creature’s march. The ground had made a bridge from the creature to me.

As it was walking towards me, I could swear another presence was nearby. The creature didn’t seem to notice as it stood over me. Ever so slowly it began to reach for me. I tried my hardest to get away from the appendage coming towards me, but all my muscles would not reply. I could only wait in fear as the appendages on its arms began to come closer and closer.
Closing my eyes, I prepared myself for the worst.

The touch never came. I opened my eyes to see why it had stopped. The ape wasn’t there anymore, in its place was a dark alicorn. Its skin was as black as the void, surprisingly I could still see it regardless. Around its head, feet and chest were dark blue pieces of armour. I had a feeling of Deja vu as I continued to stare at the pony. Had we met before? It then spoke to me.

“Sister, art thou unharmed?” The Alicorn asked

I was so confused. Who am I talking to? Am I supposed to have known her? Is she like a guard or something? I really didn’t remember

“Umm, yeah I’m alright” I said uncertainly

The ground was now beginning to change. Tiles covered the ground, The rats were now ponies, and the alicorn was now Luna? I didn’t know what was happening. Getting up from the floor, I looked to the ponies in my room. They were surrounding something. Walking over, a shiver went down my spine. There lay the dark ape, It did not stir. It was scorched on its backside, as well as its front.

The creature from my dream was real?! Trying to remember the dream I had had, I recalled that it tried to attack me. It gave me headaches, to the point of submission. It would then do what It wanted with me. The thought terrified me. If I could be this vulnerable, what about other ponies?! Were they being attacked too?

The guards were now debating over whether or not to throw this thing in the dungeon, or to just bury it. One curious guard was examining the creature thoroughly.

“What was that thing Tia?” A voice said beside me. I didn’t have an answer for Luna.

“It was some kind of ape. It walked on two legs, and reached for objects with its arms.” I answered.

“Did it try to harm you?” Luna asked

“Yes, it tried to incapacitate me.” I said

“Why?” Luan asked

“I hope nopony ever finds out, but it was definitely hostile. It did not attempt to communicate before approaching.” I answered

It seemed as though the guards had made up their mind. Levitating the body, the majority made their way out of my chambers. The captain of the guard stayed behind.

“Your majesty, do you need guards posted outside your chambers tonight?” He asked me

“No, I do not think I will be having anymore late night visitors.” I said to the captain.

“By your orders.” He replied walking out of the room, leaving only me and Luna.

“Are you sure you’re going to be alright sister? What if another one of those beast comes for you?” Luna asked with worry.

“I’ll be alright sister, I have you watching over me after all. Speaking of which, how did you know I needed help?” I asked Luna


“Well, I can go into ponies dreams as you know. Yet as I walked past your room, I felt a strange aura. The dream you were experiencing was not normal, it was being influenced by an outside force.” Luna explained “Who other than me has the power to manipulate dreams?”

“I know no other pony, yet these creatures appear to have the ability. What really concerns me is its motive. Why would it try to attack me instead of a guard or even you? Did it sense that I was more of a threat?” I asked Luna

“Well regardless of the motive, it still attacked you right?” Luna asked “It threatened your life!”

“Yes, I am aware. I am still unsure of how to proceed with this matter. Maybe some sleep will help with that?” I told Luna

“Well then, good night sister. Rest assured nothing shall disturb thy sleep when I am on watch.” Luna said, making her way to the door.

“Good night Wuna, have fun.” I said getting back into bed

“Good night Tia, sweet dreams.” Luna said before closing the door.

Sweet Dreams? I have a potential threat to all of Equestria to worry about, on top of all the royal duties tomorrow. What if there are more of them? What if they start to attack pony-kind? How will we fight back? Me and Luna can’t be everywhere at once. I really hoped it did not come to this in the future. Hope, it was all I could do now.