• Published 27th May 2013
  • 300 Views, 0 Comments

Parallel - Zombie Penguins



A meteor causes distraught not only in Equestria, but other universes.

  • ...
 0
 300

New Realms

Crystal Comet found herself falling. Falling until she landed on the blue sand below with a soft thud. She quickly lifted her head and began studying her surroundings, searching for the amplifier. With a jolt, Crystal Comet surged forward, grabbing the amplifier and placing it in her bag. Satisfied, Crystal Comet looked around the new environment. Above her, was the unreachable ring of embers glowing softly with the sunrise. Below her were tiny grains of sapphire, twinkling with the remains of the night. In the distance, she could see a bunch of flaming lights, raised up on a black mass. With glee, Crystal Comet took out her journal and made an entry:

I have successfully created an amplifier, however I have been too successful. I was testing its effectiveness with a fire conjuring spell and it appears that I have burnt a hole in some sort of divider between realms. Out of curiosity, I have passed through the hole and am now in what seems to be a new realm. Everything here is so crystal clear. I can see the tiniest details on the moon as it sets in the west and the stars...the stars are like sharp pinpricks of light that barely fade with the coming of the sun. The sand is not sand: I walk on little grains of sapphire and lapis lazuli. To the north, in the distance, I see a great mass crowned with small orange flames. Everything is so crisp. I thought the stars awaited me, but a new world awaits me in their stead.

Crystal Comet finished her entry and yawned; she had been up all night, creating the amplifier. Pulling her forelock over her eyes in an attempt to blot out the sun, Crystal Comet curled up on the ground and went to sleep.

***

The air was smothered with the smell of burnt earth and charred wood, the very ground blackened by the impact. Celestia walked on the strangely cold ground, investigating the crater created by the fallen star. Canterlot's guard force secured the area with yellow tape that glared against the moon. Detective Glass spotted her and came running over. “Princess Celestia, we have found hoof prints going to and away from the crash site, but we are unable to track them beyond the main road.” he said excitedly.

“Do they head towards or away from Canterlot?” Celestia questioned.

“Towards.”

“Good work. Let me know if you found anything else.” she said gratefully, “After Detective Glass is finished with the investigation of the crash site, I want every grain of this quartz gathered up and put into the incinerator.” She commanded as Detective Glass trotted back to the centre of the crater, eager to continue his investigation.

Celestia let out a sigh. She did not want this to cause any disasters, not like it did many years ago. She remembered being called out to the MacIntosh Hills by an exploration expedition that ran into major trouble. When she came she found many ponies and buffalo alike dead and injured, some of which had to do with the poor leadership, some of which due to the effects of quartz. It was so horrible, that Celestia had to order all surviving ponies to take up new identities and become Silent Ponies. She had to order all the quartz to be mined and destroyed until it no longer existed. And now THIS. From the very place no pony can go, a chunk of quartz had fallen from the heavens, into the hooves of somepony...bringing the potential for a catastrophe.

***

Stanley felt somepony gently prodding his side. He yawned, rolled over and opened his eyes to find his Blossom, nudging him awake. “Morinin' already?” he asked, half asleep. Blossom laughed and levitated a brush to her bedhead of a green mane.

“I'm gonna make me some coffee...you want some?” he asked her.

“No thanks...you need it more than I do.” Blossom giggled in response before giving Stanley a kiss on the cheek. Stanley smiled and entered the kitchen with another yawn.

A soft thump was heard at the door as Stanley started the coffee maker. Letting out another yawn, Stanley trudged over to the door to retrieve the newspaper. He went to the table and started reading it, while he waited for his coffee to brew:

FALLEN STAR JUST OUTSIDE OF CANTERLOT...

“Honey! The falling star we saw last night made the front page!” he shouted to her.

“That's nice.” Blossom halfheartedly responded. Stanley continued reading:

FALLEN STAR JUST OUTSIDE OF CANTERLOT. REPORTS FROM CANTERLOT PALACE CLAIM IT TO BE MADE FROM A DANGEROUS SUBSTANCE CALLED QUARTZ. FALLEN STAR HAS GONE MISSING...

Stanley almost tore the paper with his hooves, his brown eyes wide with anger. He didn't believe it was dangerous. An old wives tale that prevented-wrongfully excused that mare...that stupid mare...from being tried for the deaths of countless ponies. He had to clench his teeth to prevent himself from mimicking Blossom's sister. The mare is gone from their lives now...but the lack of justice he felt...that he knew...strangled his conscience until nothing but murder filled his head.

***

As night fell, Lightning awoke, his orange eyes illuminated the forest around him. Remembering the blue light he saw on his shift, he bolted upwards, before reminding himself that it was nothing to get excited about. But, the curiosity still swam in his insides and he could think of nothing, but the blue light.

Thousands of thoughts flew through his head as he went to visit Chief Blaze. Inter-dimensional being, alien, ghost, mutant, magic, deity, undiscovered creature, rare plant...it could have been anything. Upon arriving to Chief Blaze's tree, Lightning tapped it with his hoof, causing a few leaves to rain down on him. “Enter,” said the deep voice. Lightning passed through the archway formed by the roots, into an earthy room, canopied by the resilient underbelly of the tree. The room was blanketed with a soft darkness; the only light sources were the eyes of Lightning and the eyes of Chief Blaze.

Lightning bowed low, with respect, before giving his report, “During my shift, at dawn, about half a night away to the south, I saw a strange blue light anomaly. I don't think it's of any danger, but...”

“...you thought I ought to know.” Chief Blaze finished and Lightning nodded. Chief Blaze pondered for a few minutes, while Lightning stood awkwardly, shifting his hooves in the dirt out of habit. “If this light anomaly...or one similar appears again...I think a small scouting group...should be sufficient to investigate it...I shall mention it in my midnight announcements,” Chief Blaze said slowly, “Thank you for reporting this to me.”

Lightning bowed again, before walking out of the earthen room and into the crisp night air.

***

Blanca sipped her exotic, evening tea in an almost pure gold cup, soaking in the daytime rays of the sun. She was in her garden, surrounded by the cold statues depicting important events in the history of Inamoenus. Gazing at these statues, Blanca lifted her head high as pride surged in her veins: these were HER accomplishments.

After finishing her tea, and leaving the salad untouched, Blanca tapped her hoof on one of the table legs, signalling that a servant may take away the clean dishes. Concentrating on her movements, she exited the courtyard with her perfected grace and into her thrown room. She carefully seated herself on the throne and whined, “Has the investigation team come back yet?”

“Yes, your highness.” the guards said simultaneously, as they bowed, before letting the investigation team in.

A small squadron of ponies entered the room, all bowing their heads low, except a black unicorn, with a long scar running down the left side of her face. The black mare's eyes darted around the room in wonder. “Ahem...” Blanca said very annoyed, catching the mare's attention.

“Oh...ummm...OH!” the unicorn stuttered, before bowing.

“Rise,” Blanca commanded. “What did you find?”

“We found...HER, your highness.” responded a white stallion, pointing at the black mare who neglected to bow.

“YOU!” Queen Blanca shouted angrily, “IDENTIFY YOURSELF!”