• Published 21st May 2013
  • 732 Views, 2 Comments

Blank - DarkAura



What would you do if you woke up in the Everfree forest, stripped of your identity, with no recollection whatsoever of who you were or how you came to be there? For Twilight Sparkle, that nightmare came true.

  • ...
 2
 732

Empty

Empty.

It was a strange word, wasn't it? It was one of those words that had different meanings. The common and most iconic definition of the word empty was the opposite of full, implying matter was involved, but was taken away. A common synonymous event would be an entire family passing, making the family from full to empty in ten seconds flat, or, as a simpler alternative, taking water away from a glass. It was easy to identify with this type of empty, as everyone has experienced, at least, an empty glass.

But empty as an emotion? An entirely different thing. You couldn't relate it to an opposite that you could touch. It had no matter to begin with. Most people don't experience this emotional empty; they take everything for granted because they fully believe they can never have emptiness within themselves. Such a powerful thing denial can be to others. The smaller portion of people who have felt emptiness know exactly what it means. In fact, to feel empty was to feel... like something was missing.

For Twilight Sparkle, everything was missing. But she couldn't dwell on that now. She was too busy running for her life. Snapping on twigs, jumping over logs, ignoring all the bugs that swatted in her face... It would seem like what she was running from was something that'd frighten the living daylights out of any pony, something that could gobble her up in a big tasty stew. That wasn't the case, however. She was running, simply, from the emptiness, though she didn't realize it then. With the panting and the fear, running for her life wouldn't allow her to think straight. Her brain was focused on one thing and one thing alone: What was in front of her, which was nothing but the darkness of the trees. The darkness of the unknown. The darkness... of the emptiness.

When her brain finally acknowledged that Twilight didn't know what she was running from, her entire body stopped and collapsed in a heap on the cold, barren dirt. Try as she might, she couldn't will her body to get up, and she soon gave up. Her heavy panting grew softer and more silent. Her body was calming down, but her brain certainly wasn't. Her brain might've calmed down in unison with her body if only it could process and analyze. But how could it? It needed to know what happened that brought Twilight running for her life from seemingly nothing.

Problem was, Twilight couldn't remember a thing.

Author's Note:

Short prologue, but we've got more chapters ahead.

This was just a silly idea that popped in my head, basically. I'll probably work on this as a side project in the future.