• Published 20th May 2013
  • 6,270 Views, 12 Comments

Freedom Through Harmony: Book II - Electricut



Six years have passed since the events of Book I, but some loose threads remain untied. The Order is done lurking in the background, and it will fall not upon the Elements, but the Crusaders and anyone they can find to help to stop them.

  • ...
12
 12
 6,270

Sixty

Sixty

12 years later
Derpy

For a time, Derpy had allowed herself to believe that Discord had been controlled, his influence stopped. She had allowed herself to hope that with that weight lifted from Equestria’s shoulders, it would begin to recover. And in the first years of Celestia’s rule, the wounds did begin to heal.

Discord wasn’t finished. Though his body and direct influence had been sealed away, he still found the strength to spread his chaos, even from where he was. From afar, she watched as Celestia’s grip on her own morality began to slip, Discord’s influence working its way into her mind.

In the previous year, she had deployed a stunning, unexpected military movement, dethroning the rulers of both Dusk and Dawn, Eclipse rising to rule over all three war-torn countries. The onlookers were shocked, especially Derpy. This aggression was not what Equestria needed to move on.

Derpy stood upon the balcony of her tower, the structure that she had built on the secluded island, and that had served as her home through these years. Her eyes lingered on the horizon, and she imagined Equestria just beyond her line of sight. After a few minutes, a figure appeared in the air and made its way to the tower.

Dirk’s feet touched down on the balcony, and he nodded to Derpy. “What’s the situation out there?” she asked.

“Mostly the same.” Dirk explained. “Dusk and Dawn are still putting up attempts to resist annexation, but they just don’t have the energy to do it anymore. The war left them tired, and under Celestia, Eclipse is too strong to fight against.

“However… Princess Luna is heading one of the branches. The Elements of Harmony are behind her again, even though they all have families now. They’re not aiming to liberate Dawn or Dusk, but to break through Celestia’s iron defense and, if they’re lucky, bring her to her senses. If not… They seem to be ready to dethrone her if necessary.”

Derpy’s eyes averted Dirk’s gaze. “Have you tracked down Xekora yet?”

Dirk shook his head. “The guy just up and vanished. I would think he would help with this battle, but he’s nowhere to be found. It’s just you and me for this one. So, that begs the question… What do you want to do?”

The two stepped into the tower, and Derpy thought for several minutes. “I don’t want to encourage my people to fight.” she finally stated. “I don’t want to pick a side, even if I know the other is wrong. That’s not what I want them to think of their goddess. Besides… Would any of them even remember me?”

“They tell stories.” Dirk offered. “It’s been a while since any saw you, but they have stories from their ancestors of the three beings who once walked among them, and who surely still watch over them.”

“Just one now…” Derpy said sadly.

“We don’t know that. We never heard back from Fancy Pants, but that doesn’t mean he’s gone. And Doc’s a Timelord, and a God Tier. By all accounts, he should have regenerated, and should be out there somewhere.”

“Yeah, but like you said, we don’t know where they are. And wherever they are, they aren’t here right now. It’s just you and me, and I don’t think we should join a band of rebels to overthrow a queen. That’s not a message I want to send.”

“Then why don’t you speak to the rebels and impress upon them that Celestia should be reasoned with, not overthrown? I can try and talk to Celestia while you’re doing that. She used to trust me, and if that’s worth anything to her now, she’ll at least hear me out.”

Derpy nodded after a moment. “That’s our best shot. I’ll gather my things. I’m going to speak to them, then leave as soon as that task is complete. You can decide for yourself what you’d like to do; if you want to join them, you may, but keep in mind that you must not kill Celestia, and avoid overthrowing her.”

Dirk thought for a moment. “I think I’ll do the same as you. A world is like a child, and the Gods are its parents. Even if I’ve only adopted this world, I want to give it room to grow on its own. And sometimes there are growing pains. We can try to steer it in the right direction, but we have to let this issue resolve itself in the end.”

“Well said, and I agree. I’ll be ready to leave in a minute.” Derpy moved into her tower and walked up to her God Tier outfit. She hadn’t needed the garment for some time, but she decided she needed to be prepared. She put on the hoodie, and retrieved her fetch modus and strife specibus. The old technology wasn’t running as quickly as it once had, but it still served her well.

She and Dirk glided away from the tower a few minutes later, taking care to avoid being seen from below, only parting ways when they reached the capital city of Eclipse. Perched atop one of the castle’s towers, Derpy looked out over the city she had helped to found. It looked almost nothing like it used to, but she’s certain that the castle was in the same place as the old church, likely built up from it. The old place of worship was probably still inside, somewhere.

On the way to Eclipse, Dirk had told Derpy that the resistance party was camped out some distance from the western gate to the city. Derpy knew she didn’t have all the time in the world, and flew over the city towards the western gate. Past that was flatland. Not the ideal place for a group that would need to avoid detection, she thought. Sure enough, it didn’t take long for her to spot the party camped about a mile away.

She touched down a short distance away, contemplating her approach. These people may remember the presence of the gods, but she doubted they would remember their appearance. To them, she would appear a strange, alien creature. Perhaps she could amplify her voice and make it seem like she was speaking from the heavens?

“I’m trying to work out what you are, but I’m drawing blanks.” a voice spoke from behind Derpy. “I’m sure Firefly would say that this isn’t unusual for me.”

Derpy turned to see the man standing behind her. He wore a worn set of red leather armor, a wide brimmed hat atop his head of blond hair just beginning to lose its youthful shine. A spear hung from his belt, along with several pouches surely containing various supplies. He looked at her not with fear, but with curiosity and confusion.

“I can gather one thing though.” he continued, “You’re watching our camp.”

“I am.” Derpy confirmed. Best to begin simply. “I need to tell you all something, but… I wasn’t sure how to approach. I mean, you see what I look like.”

The man’s mouth twisted into an understanding but still confused frown. “Yes. That being said, perhaps you should tell me who and what you are. You haven’t done much to make me think you’re a threat, but you haven’t done much to prove you aren’t, either.”

Derpy thought for a moment, then sighed slightly. She couldn’t think of a lie that would get anything accomplished. “I am the one who watches over Equestria.” she began. “I am one of the three that guided it from birth, and I am the one who gave it the shape it holds today. I am… I am the one who failed you. I failed to stop Discord, and I’ve failed to stop… this.” she motioned in the general direction of Eclipse.

The man considered her words for a moment, before his eyes widened in realization. “You… Are you saying you’re the goddess?” Derpy nodded, and the man hastily lowered himself to one knee, head bowed.

Derpy shook her head. “Please, I would not have you bow to me. Even had I not lost the right, I considered myself a friend to the people, not a ruler.”

The man stood after a moment, but his demeanor had visibly changed. “What is your name?” Derpy asked.

“Ace.” he replied simply.

Derpy nodded. “You and your friends succeeded where I failed; you sealed away Discord, an act I had believed to be impossible. And I pray that you can destroy my expectations again; this is why I’ve come to you. I need to impress upon you that, if possible, Celestia should be reasoned with, not overthrown. Equestria is weakened by the war. If you overthrow Celestia, the chaos Discord put in her mind will grow stronger, and the fever of war will grow stronger again. And if she is killed, the demon will be freed. You MUST do everything you can to help her break his chains.”

“I understand.” Ace said, nodding confidently. “And, goddess… Might I ask, for all of us, your personal assistance in this task?”

Derpy shook her head sadly. “I’m afraid I can’t. It’s more than just feeling like I don’t deserve to, like I failed you and will fail you again. But a god should not step in to dethrone a ruler. I can’t put that kind of doubt in the minds of the people.”

“I see. I understand, your grace.” He clearly didn’t quite understand, but he accepted her word.

“I wish you and your friends luck, Ace.” she told him. “Do what you can, and if nothing can be done, do what you must. But she and Luna must stay alive at any cost.”
_____________

Ultimately, the resistance failed. The bearers of the Elements of Harmony fell in the ensuing battle, the Elements themselves shutting themselves off and becoming little more than inactive trinkets. The children and spouses of these heroes would mourn their passing, but their blood would carry on.

One man would always be in the shadows, watching over the descendants of these heroes, never once allowing himself to be noticed. Another would walk among the people a self-proclaimed merchant of information and historian, keeping a careful eye on Equestria.

Queen Celestia knew that, should Luna die, Discord would be released. So instead, she was given the same fate as the demon, sealed away within the earth, to be released one thousand years after the event. A reasonable amount of time for two immortals.

Luna’s would be the last large-scale resistance to Celestia’s ascendance, and soon, Equestria began to change under her rule. The castles of Dusk and Dawn were left in ruin while Eclipse rose to splendor. The people gradually moved away from the former capitols, instead moving to or founding cities closer to Eclipse, or venturing into formerly uncharted land. The Children of Water, a nomadic people that had been more severely wounded in the war than any of the other three, never completely recovered, and began to dwindle. Even the historian could not say whether they found a home somewhere secluded or died out, but after a hundred years, there was hardly a trace of them left.

Four hundred and seventy nine years after Luna’s resistance, a boy awoke in the ruins of Dusk.
__________________

He pushed himself to his feet and shook his head. What happened? He couldn’t remember how he got there, but as he thinks, he realizes that he can’t remember much at all. He thought he had some flashes of memory, but they were gone as soon as they had occurred to him. A few disjointed, meaningless words and images were all that seem to be in his head.

He frowned and looked around. He was in a town plaza that had been abandoned long ago, a thick layer of dust and grime covering the road, the stone cracked, the wood rotten, the metal rusted. No one had been to this place in a long time; that much was apparent. But now he was. He couldn’t help but wonder why that was.

He heard something from the next street over, a stone being knocked loose. Perhaps he was too quick to assume that he was alone. Something about this place told him that he should avoid being seen, then leave as soon as possible. He dashed across the plaza and through an empty doorway, then hid behind the wall.

After several seconds passed, a tall creature walked into the plaza, skin glossy and pitch black. It walked on two legs, with two long, clawed arms hanging at its side, and two yellow eyes glancing around the area. The boy watched cautiously from his hiding place, knowing it was probably looking for him, the intruder to its territory. It paused in the center, seeming to sniff the air, although it had no visible nose. At last, it seemed to find nothing of interest, and walked away down another road.

The boy released a bated breath, mind racing. He’d need to get out of here, but he didn’t know the way out, nor how he got in at all. But surely if he followed the main road, it would lead him out; either that, or further in, but it was his best shot.

He walked out of the building, careful to be sure the creature had truly moved on, then begins walking briskly down the largest road connecting to the plaza. He assumed this was the way out, as the buildings along the opposite side seemed to grow larger further down. He passed by a building that seemed to have once housed a massive machine, pipes and wires poking out and rusted. He poked his head inside, and saw an object shining dully on a table. Approaching, he saw it was a small glass ball, glowing slightly with a red magic. It had been sitting for a while, but it seemed to still have a spark left in it.

He pocketed it, then looked around the building for anything else useful. Several of the pipes had been dislodged, and one of them seemed to be about the right size to be used as a weapon. He picked it up, left the building, and pressed on.

After two more blocks, he heard shuffling from somewhere nearby. He froze, then looked around for somewhere to hide. The city, self-contained and very well developed, had left this part of the road with only walls on either side, and there weren’t any holes nearby. He wouldn’t be able to hide this time. He braced himself and took off at a run.

The creatures were faster. He continued to hear them around him until they leapt out in front of him. Two of them stood, teeth barred, claws raised, blocking his passage. He clutched his pipe. There was no side passage to escape through, and no way could he outrun them. He had to fight.

He quickly retrieved the glass sphere from his pocket, prayed that it would work, and threw it with all his strength. It hit one of the creatures in the chest, and a burst of flame exploded on the point of impact. It wasn’t enough to hurt the other creature, but the one that was hit writhed in the fire before collapsing to the ground and disappearing in a puff of smoke.

What manner of creatures are these? the boy wondered, but he had no time to find out. The other creature leapt at him, and he blocked hastily with his pipe. He pushed forward, knocking it back, but it followed up with two swipes of its claws. He blocked the second, but failed to stop the first from cutting through his shirt and drawing blood. It was just then that he registered his clothes; he was wearing an outfit of varying shades of red, with a long hood that brushed the ground. The image of a lighter red gear was on his chest.

He shook his head and pushed forward, swinging his pipe. The beast swung a claw, and he deflected the hit, then stepped forward and jabbed his elbow into the creature’s midsection. It stumbled, giving the boy enough time to bring his weapon down and hit it in the head, hard. The impact was enough to kill it, and it burst into a cloud of black smoke just as the other had.

He shook his head. What were these things? He supposed he could figure out when he was away from them. He continued along the road at a hurried pace, stopping only when a large gateway loomed on the horizon. He knew that would be the exit. However, a stairway to the rooftops was to the right, and he ascended to get a better look around. He reached the top and looked out beyond the gate. Sure enough, the city ended there, and he could see grass beyond the dry, gray dirt that sat before the city.

Something felt wrong about the entrance plaza, though. He got the feeling that there were more creatures around. He was able to handle one of them with his pipe, but he doubted he could take more than that at once. Still, maybe if he ran for it, he could clear the exit and leave the city before they saw him. He couldn’t imagine why they wouldn’t just leave with him, but he decided it was worth the try. He could fight them better in the open.

He descended the staircase again, braced himself, and took off at a run. He cleared the first gateway, entering the plaza, his feet clacking against the cobble below. He was nearly to the exit when his arm was grabbed, the clawed hand belonging to one of the creatures. He swung his pipe and knocked the hand aside, but two more were on him in the same instant.

He struggled against their grip, but he couldn’t raise his arm to swing his weapon. One of the creatures was about to bite into him when it burst into smoke. The boy could just see the glint of steel before it swung around and killed the other two.

A figure in a heavy black coat, hood over their head, stood just behind the boy, katana in hand. Back to the boy, he barked an order: “More of them inbound! I’ve got your back, now fight!”

“Y-yeah! Got it!” the boy stammered, gripping his weapon tightly with both hands. As the man had said, several more of the creatures leapt from the shadows, claws at the ready. The boy swung hard, knocking one of them aside, then swung low and kicked one’s feet out from under it. A downward jab finished it off. He could hear the cloaked man’s sword cut through the air, fending off many creatures at once.

Two of the beasts remained on the boy’s side. He blocked one of their attacks and swung at the other, but it leapt back to dodge. The first swung at him, catching his arm and cutting through his shirt, but the boy followed up quickly and hit the beast in the head, destroying it. He then turned to the second, but the cloaked man dashed forward and cut it clean in half.

“We shouldn’t hang around here.” he said. “More will be here before long, but we bought ourselves enough time to escape. Can you run?” The boy nodded. “Good. Follow closely behind me.”

The two took off at a run out of the city, and past the dead ground to the rolling green hills. The boy was about to ask to take a rest, his breath growing short, but the man had the same idea and slowed to a halt.

“This is far enough, they won’t catch us here.” he said. He lowered his hood, revealing a head of blond hair and a pair of triangular shades. “So, what were you doing in that place?”

The boy shrugged sheepishly. “I don’t know. I woke up there, and… I don’t have any idea how I got there, where we were, or… where we are, or anything.”

“Memory loss? Just my luck.” the man sighed. “Oh well, not much can be done about it. Even so… Your outfit says it all. You’re a Hero of Time. I need to test one other thing; with your permission, I’d like to test your heartbeat.”

The boy nodded, and the man put a hand on the left side of the boy’s chest. Strangely, he then moved it to the right after a few seconds. A smile grew on his face. “Oh, I know someone who’s going to be very happy that I found you. Can’t believe you actually made it, either… You regenerated young, too, that’s a bit odd. Ah well. Even without your memories, you’re alive, that’s what’s important.”

“I guess so.” the boy agreed. “So… I guess I have a lot of questions, but I think the first should be ‘Who are you’?”

The man extended a hand. “Dirk Strider. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you.”

The boy shook his hand. “Then… Who am I?”

Dirk grinned. “They call you the Doctor. Now, there’s some nasty stuff going down in a place called Ivoire right now. They’re struggling against a demon called Sulphur, and could surely use a hand. What do you say we go on an adventure?”