• Published 9th May 2013
  • 506 Views, 0 Comments

Reverie - AbsurdistScribbler



It is never easy to forget the past. Dreams, nightmares, and visions stay rooted in the mind. Wherever there is light, there is darkness.

  • ...
 0
 506

Prologue: Dreams/Broken Bonds

Canterlot castle stood as a beacon over the city, the tower lanterns dimly illuminating the streets and building, silent and motionless aside from the slow wave of the Equestrian flag. It was the night of a new moon and the sky was filled with stars. Inside the towers of the castle, a fire burned slowly, lighting a bedchamber in a red glow. The firelight revealed a bed at the far end of the room where a still figure lay; resting but not yet asleep. She’d slept for long enough.

Her chest moved up and down; her breath made no sound. Her chest moved up and down; her breath made no sound. She concentrated her thoughts, and found herself in a deep black emptiness, although her body was resting on her bed. Suspended within the blackness, she paused and focused, establishing a physical body to cover her spirit form—it was easier to move with a solid body. Majestic legs, large wings, the footwear, breastplate, and dark crown of the Royal Princess; her body—while not as grand as her sister’s, she inadvertently reminded herself with a hint of annoyance—still beautiful and defined. A starry mane fell by her side as she finished taking shape.

The world of the Dreamscape was hers to control—she built this region of space and had spent many years exploring and mastering its potential—too many. It was a world dotted in hazy points of light, each one a different dream. Luna flew out into the darkness; her duty was to feel and find ripples from the lights, which meant a troubled dream. Or a nightmare.

But there were no ripples. Every light was out.

Luna sent a pulse of magic to her horn, but it was impossible to light the void.

She stretched the ends of Dreamscape further, passing Ponyville, Manehatten, even out to Appleloosa. Empty. She pushed the limit of its reach out to the beginning of both seas and as far as the Northern Mountains, home of immigrant Griffon colonies.

Nothing.

Everywhere in Equestria, there were no dreams.

The night was quiet.

A sudden force slammed into her, pushing her back. Somepony was dreaming—this was the most powerful dream she’d ever felt. She turned and saw the dream’s light; a white star in the darkness.

She moved towards the light, and fell into the dream. Slowly, the world started to form around her—dreams however, were always hazy and the edges would ripple and sway. Mannequins draped with dresses were positioned around the room, and she carefully hid behind one—this dream was too important to interrupt. The shapes of two ponies started to grow from the ground; an orange one and a white one—Applejack and Rarity, she reminded herself, one does not forget the Elements of Harmony. Their voices were echoing and dropping; Applejack was tearing up while Rarity burned with anger.

“… could you? Why did you do it, Applejack?!”

“Rares, if y’were there, you’d have done the exact same.”

Rarity pulled her hoof up and struck Applejack’s face. That sound echoed throughout the dream. “never.” Rarity whispered.

Tears rolled from Applejack’s face; Rarity couldn’t hold back her own and they fell. She couldn’t stand the sight of Applejack crying, and struck her again.

“Go. Go back to your own life.”

All she could do was walk away.

Luna was watching, shocked by the event of the dream. What could cause this disharmony? As she looked on, the dream shifted around her, the walls collapsing and the ground moving under her hooves. Rarity’s form melted into the ground—the world of the dream was changing—Luna found herself facing the back of a cottage. She peaked around but before she could see clearly, a rainbow streak flashed by her and she ducked behind the cottage.

“Fluttershy, open the door!” Luna knew that voice—it was of Rainbow Dash, another Element.

The door opened slowly and Fluttershy stood in the archway while the sound of crying resonated from inside.

“Pinkie, it’s all right, Rainbow will leave in a minute.”

“Come on Fluttershy, let me help you two. Damn it let me in already!”

Fluttershy stared at Rainbow, and responded coldly:

“I’m standing up for myself and Pinkie now, and I’m not going to be pushed around anymore. You’re a heartless bitch and you can take whatever you care for, if anything at all, and get… get the buck out!”

Rainbow opened her mouth, and closed it again. “I...” She tried to continue, but the door was slammed shut.

By now Luna would have interrupted any other dream, but she knew that this was not anypony’s dream; it was far too important to meddle with. But who is the dreamer? Rainbow Dash vaporized into a mist of colours and the cottage splintered into fine pieces; the dream shifting again. As it rebuilt itself, Luna was deep in thought, trying to piece together the fragments of the dream. There is no sense to this.

The dream materialized, and she found herself within the Ponyville Library—she’d spent much time there catching up on modern novels and stories which the Canterlot libraries didn’t carry. She looked around, but the library was empty.

Silence in the library.

The front door was slammed open, changing that, as a purple Alicorn flew through, and turned around and shot a burst of magic outside. Luna moved away, flying up to the balcony to watch what was taking place outside. She could see Spike, but he was very different—he’d grown larger than Celestia, and was held within a barrier cast by Twilight. What Luna knew of him was replaced by rage and power; he thrashed violently within the barrier and pierced it with his tail. He swung it towards Twilight, spikes extended, planning to slice her in two. However, she fired a blast of magic and threw him back, smashing a building into splintered wood and broken glass. He let out a howl of agony which shook the foundations of the library and blasted a barrage of fire as he stood on all fours. Twilight flew into the air and turned back to face him.

“SPIKE! YOU KNOW I DON’T WANT TO FIGHT YOU!”

He replied with a deep grown and stared at her.

“but if it comes down to it, I will.” These words were whispered, but their full force was unmistakable. She would end it if necessary. If a friendship breaks, it’s lost.

Spike flew up at Twilight, swinging his tail around to strike—in a flash, the end of his tail was blasted off and the ending was bleeding profusely; he thrashed around, the townhouses now coated with dragon blood. The tip of Twilight’s horn was dripping with blood and there was a red smear under her left eye. Spike cried out in pain, and fell back to the ground—clutching the bloody stump, moaning and howling at the sky. Twilight moved closer and focused her energy into her horn down to the end; bloodstained. A drop fell and she aimed at Spike. This spell would finish it all. She trembled and grinded her teeth.

She was crying.

“goodbye, my friend”

He growled softly and turned to her.

“I’ll always love you.”

Boom.

Luna was forced into the blackness of the Dreamscape—it was over. The memory of the dream was still playing over in her head; she felt a personal failure. Did Celestia and I not care for the Elements enough? Or could something else be afoot? She moved from the Dreamscape to her body, and on returning, shock violently and cried out. I should have anticipated that, from the power of that dream. As two guards burst into the room, she noted to ask Twilight about her dreams.

“I am fine, my guards, just a.. nightmare. Many thanks for your diligence.”

They could hear the shakiness of her voice but they gave their respects and left quietly. Luna looked at the sky and saw the tip of the sun rising over the Eastern shore. Her sister was up.

Celestia was in fact, still sleeping, but a force rushed through her; her horn started to glow with a bright yellow—the sun was slowly starting to rise over the land. She would realize the mistake in the timing of the sun when she woke and correct it later. Luna would rest during the day, and prepare a letter for Twilight.

Pinkie Pie started to jump up and down around her room, but her mane went flat and she fell back in bed—she was still asleep during this. And she was not smiling. Fluttershy threw her hooves up and cried out, pushing Angel Bunny off her. At the farm, Applejack bucked her legs out and whacked her bed frame hard enough to break the top piece off. Rarity shuddered and her magic started up, moving around all sorts of objects in her room—clothing, ribbons, and many coloured gems floated around the room—the grip of her magic crushed a few gems and tore the fabrics. Rainbow Dash started to tear up and whimper, but she did not have long to do this—one of Twilight’s wings shot out and smacked into her face, knocking her off the bed.

And so the morning started.