DC Fanfics 374 members · 289 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

Billy Batson, according to the Reddit where this new look leaked, will be getting a new series and a look far closer to his classic appearances as Captain Marvel! Gotta say, THIS is my favorite look for the Big Red Cheese to date!

Sometimes you get a Golden Age look thats just timeless

This is the kind of look that makes me hope we can get back to the classic Captain Marvel style adventures. My biggest issue was less the name change to Shazam... even if the logistics of that can be annoying... But more the fact it felt like ALL his iconic elements got thrown out. The last series from a couple years ago, TRIED and I'd say succeeded in a lot of ways to establish a new status quo, even if it would definitely still take some getting used to... But it got cancelled just 15 issues in before anything could really stick

I'm hoping for a return to THIS kind of Billy Batson

Honestly I don’t get why they never changed his name to Captain Thunder it suits him and has a nice ring to it

Personally im more of a Marvel fan then a DC one but yeah

Because the name Shazam was already trademarked. Through much of the Golden Age of Comics, Captain Marvel proved to be the most popular superhero to have been created, with NO superhero before or since, topping his sales charts for an initial run. For instance, Captain Marvel Adventures sold 14 million copies in 1944, and was at one point being published bi-weekly with a circulation of 1.3 million copies an issue (proclaimed on the cover of issue #19 as being the "Largest Circulation of Any Comic Magazine").

From 1940 to 1955 he consistently outsold, Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

A lot of elements that many people associate with A lot of elements that many people associate with Superman were done by Captain Marvel first, including a female counterpart(Mary Marvel predates Supergirl), a mad scientist villain(Dr. Sivana), an evil counterpart with the same powers(Black Adam predates Bizarro and General Zod), and a non powered best friend wearing a bowtie and green jacket(Tawky Tawny the tiger predates Jimmy Olsen). Quite a few of these came from Otto Binder, who wrote both characters. Captain Marvel was also the first superhero to be adapted for film, in a popular serial and more important it was Billy Batson who first had the power of flight, while Superman was still stuck leaping tall buildings in a single bound.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5