Past Sins 1,040 members · 176 stories
Comments ( 21 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 21

Noice, though I'm pretty sure her mark is just a blue shield :P

With wings that would make Flurry Heart proud.

Well, a blue shield with a crescent moon.

It does hold a sliver of a blue crescent moon, upon a dark blue shield. So this is correct. (gonna remove the image actally, I think that is considered rude of me, so yeah, I shall do just that and remove it, before I become super paranoid.)

The tail looks excellent; I don't see many people put much focus on that, so it's nice to see when people do. The rest of the body, of course, is tip-top, I like pointing out things that are different.

I always thought it was just reflection on a shield, not anything else tbh

I just don't see a crescent moon

Its right there, its a sliver of a moon, and its right there in the cutie mark. :twilightblush:

That's why on MY version of her character the crescent moon is more pronounced

It is rather pretty.

Very awesome art! It reminds me of ProbablyFakeBlonde's (https://www.deviantart.com/probablyfakeblonde) style for unicorns, which takes heavy influence from The Last Unicorn. And I love how you went with cloven hooves, which is traditional for unicorns for those that didn't know.

And before anybody tries to interpret this as me trying to call the artist out for something, no. Just stating that the style reminded me of another awesome artist that I follow and that both artists have awesome art, both of which have heavy influence from The Last Unicorn.

I'm actually an apprentice of her work. I've been studying her style for years, emulating it and copying it until I can now do it on my own(Started doing it after a failed attempt to get an art commission going. Have you SEEN the Bitch-Queen's prices?)

I think the problem is that the original version is a more realistic concept of a crescent moon, whereas the new art has a more cartoonish crescent moon. Because a real world crescent moon would look more like a bow, and the cartoonish crescent moon is more like a C. If you're ever seen Angels in the Outfield, there's a part where a kid refers to the crescent moon as "God's thumbnail".

I agree that it may not look as realistic as the original design. However, I WILL say that it does look more stylized and pops out more

O.o $90USD for a full scene with background in color? That's a great price actually, I may have to hit her up on a piece. Pfft, her prices are very reasonable, especially when compared to some artists that I've tried to work with before that wanted to charge ludicrous amounts. And that's saying something considering that I haven't so much as blinked when dropping $500+ a piece on several commissions in the past and the average commission I get can reach several hundred dollars each. No, if someone thinks that her listed prices are outrageous, they're either dead-ass broke and should be focusing on more important priorities than buying art or they really need to reevaluate their understanding of the world and the amount of work artists put into their work with respect to how many hours it takes to complete each piece in comparison to how much they make from each piece ($/hour). Seeing as you're an artist yourself, I would think that you would personally understand the latter of those two better than the average schmo.

Don't take what I've said here as an insult or attack. I'm just old and blunt and I see no point in beating around the bush when making a point.

Also, to anyone reading this comment as well as the one to which I'm replying, don't mistake Folklore's comment as an insult to the artist that we're talking about. "Bitch-Queen" is actually her(the other artist's) self-given title.

Well I'm a poor man trying to get out of his abusive father's house, I can't afford $90 a picture at this time

Yes, I'm dead ass broke, but not for long. I never said that they were ridiculous, I was only pointing at that they ARE a little pricey for some people like me. Not you think I know how much work goes into this? I've started selling art recently, throwing my hat into the game

I'd rather you not beat around the bush and say it how it is. Too many pansies around who can't take the L like my delinquent younger cousins would say

Well, you definitely have talent and a good style, no denying that. I do hope you succeed, as the world of freelance artistry is a tricky and unforgiving one. And yes, beating around the bush was something I learned long ago in my career in the Navy that you can't do, especially with fresh-out-of-college junior officers that think they're god's gift to the fleet. Some of them are alright, some others you just have to point in the right direction. Others? Jackasses. Gotta beat the message into them that while they're officers and technically outrank me, my anchor says that they WILL do as I tell them, when I tell them. I sometimes miss the good old days.

sounds like nostalgic fun

I agree. I have nothing against the new version. That was just my observation. Personally, I would have made the "shield" shape be more resemblant of the CMC's cutie marks in the show, just because of the fact that it was too coincidental that Nyx had a shield cutie mark, and the CMCs got shield cutie marks. (I still think that's eerie.) And Nyx is a Cutie Mark Crusader after all.

A little eerie yes. I'm gonna work on the cutie mark design in the future

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 21