Shipping 💖 9,742 members · 11,673 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

Trigger warnings: Death of a pet, outbursts, mention of an abusive relative/heavy drug user and intrusive thoughts (nothing graphic, and will be for less than two paragraph).

But if any of the above is a trigger for you, please don't force yourself to read. Each person is unique and it's okay to avoid something that makes you uncomfortable.

If any moderators believe I am violating any rules, please let me know. I'll figure out how to delete the thread or do whatever I need to do to make everything as safe as possible for everyone who reads it.

This will probably be a long text, as I really just feel like I need to get my negative feelings out in a productive way, and I have a few things to say. I don't write this with the intention of anyone reading it or caring. I'm an introvert and I would prefer if by some miracle this went unnoticed by everyone on the site, but I'm not sure that will be the case.

Anyway, what happened is very simple to be honest: my 10 year old dog died yesterday. I don't know if it was complications from the surgery, or if she ate something poisonous, I know that I couldn't find a vet in time on Sunday at 10pm, so I could only stay with her in her last moments.

This devastated me. A lot. For some this may be stupid, or weakness, but I believe that everyone who has lost a long-term pet knows how I feel. A big part of me was gone with her.

In the midst of this I felt it would be a good time to talk about My little Pony, and how negativity on the internet can be very harmful to some people, myself included.

Look, simply put, if someone is here, on a site for Fanfiction exclusively for My Little Pony I think it's safe to say that this show means something to you, because it certainly means a lot to me.

My story with My Little Pony is not small. I started watching G4 when I was a teenager. I have a younger brother who discovered the cartoon on TV and he really liked it. Every night he watched it, and for a while I didn't know it.

And the reason is simple. He didn't want me to know.

One day my mother told me that he was watching the cartoon in his room, and she told me that he had asked, begged her not to tell me that he was watching that cartoon, because he was afraid that I would judge him, mock him or worse.

That destroyed me. I wasn't a perfect brother, I did tease him, but I never thought I had crossed any important line beyond sibling teasing. Apparently I was very mistaken.

Since then I started trying to watch the cartoon with him. I found it fun. Nothing special, but it taught good lessons to children, and at the time the cartoon hadn't even completed its second season. We watched it together for a while, until the TV channel canceled the show. But My Little Pony taught me its first lesson. I needed to change something about myself.

Over the years I forgot about the show. I finished high school and arrogantly thought I would get into university on the first try. That's not what happened.

At that time things were bad. Pretty bad. I failed in the only thing my parents said I had to do, because in our family we HAD to have a higher education degree. And this coincided with a very bad time for my father. Heavy drug user with a certain personality disorder. Life at home was hell for all of us.

Then I remembered that cartoon I used to watch with my brother, and how I laughed a lot during an episode called "Pinkie Sense". I was having a really bad day, and decided to look for this episode. That day, at such a low moment, that cartoon enchanted me.

I watched everything there was (At the time I only had up to the sixth season) and then I continued following everything. Each film, each new episode was a day of happiness. Not long after I found this site.

I tried to write some fanfics, many of which I really regret, I was a terrible writer, and my knowledge of English was even worse. To this day I wonder why I don't delete my older fanfics.

With the end of G4, I distanced myself from the show. I was at university, my father left, which gave me a little peace, although he still tries to talk to me to this day and it's still a danger that I can't completely get out of my head, but despite that it was certainly the most peaceful part of my life I've ever had I had had in my 20 years.

The time has passed. G5 launched but I hadn't worked up the courage to watch it, I just marathoned everything two months ago, but I was fed up with seeing so much unnecessary hate even before that. The G5 can't be that bad, can it?

The answer: definitely not bad. Just different, and a lot of people didn't accept that. Even here, on this My Little Pony fanfiction site, I very constantly see people literally insulting those who watch G5. And why?

Why can't so many people just not like something and not consume it? Why try to destroy and insult those who are enjoying something? Is it so difficult to conceive that people have the right to like something even if you don't?

I'm getting out of line. I apologise.

Back on track, my dog, my Menina, died yesterday. I'm sad, unemployed and finishing my university. I'm an adult without much perspective who decided that maybe it would be a good idea to see a psychologist like so many have told me to do, and I was once again reminded of a show that was there for me in a difficult time, and that is still here for me in another.

I'm posting this with the hope that whoever reads it, if anyone reads it, will try to remember YOUR story with this Show. You don't need to tell your story with MLP to anyone if you don't want to, even if I'm willing to read it at that moment. I just wanted to share how this show helped me become a better person, and how it is still here to comfort me in a difficult time, and maybe make you, the reader, reflect on your story too.

I intend to rewatch MLP. Maybe I'll even write Fanfics again. I have been trying to train my English for a long time.

Anyway, if you've made it this far, thank you very much for your time. I'm sorry for venting but... I feel like I'm at a time where it's dangerous to keep all this inside me.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1