The Best Promotion Group And Writers Group 89 members · 647 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8
Artist
Group Admin

How do you create a new world from scratch?

I know that some writers on this site have created alternative universes of Equestria, but I want to do the same thing in one of my stories, but I’m not entirely sure how, I mean I am under the impression that I have created a world where musicians when they die on earth come to Equestria to live, so is that what people mean when they say create a world from scratch and an alternate universe?

Artist
Group Admin

Ok, I’ll try that.

NicLove
Group Contributor

asking in the group

or playing around with my game ?

Artist
Group Admin

asking in the group.

Chromentazol
Group Contributor

In terms of world-building, I think there are as many methods to create your own world as there are writers. Depending on how deep you want to go for your world (think fully-fledged worlds with massive background information/lore à la LOtR), or if you'd rather take a more minimalist approach — or anything in-between.

Personally, I used the website "World Anvil" for my world-building as there's a ton of templates that can help guide you along the process (I haven't used that website for MLP fanfictions, however, but rather for D&D campaigns). Whenever I have a basic idea, I go on my page, click the correct template (let's say "city" for example) and start filling in said template. It actually goes pretty in-depth and makes you think about questions you might not have originally thought about (with the "city" example, it asks you stuff like what's the city known for, is there a ruler/mayor/etc, does the city import or export something, etc). You don't have to fill in everything, but it's a good way to help you in the world-building process.

Finally, here's a link to an article I read a while back about world-building. I don't necessarily agree with everything in the article, but I thought it was interesting enough to share since it's related to the topic.

Artist
Group Admin

Thank you, this actually helps me instead of just giving me videos like the other person did, they didn’t really help me, but you did.

NicLove
Group Contributor

In terms of world-building, I think there are as many methods to create your own world as there are writers.

Their's
Free-Design
Top-Down
Bottom-Up
Middle-Out

Fixed-Design

Found-Design

Depending on how deep you want to go for your world (think fully-fledged worlds with massive background information/lore à la LOtR), or if you'd rather take a more minimalist approach — or anything in-between.

that's Hard Worldbuilding vs. Soft Worldbuilding

the videos can explain better

Personally, I used the website "World Anvil" for my world-building as there's a ton of templates that can help guide you along the process

and here are all the vidoes to help you out with using "World Anvil"
World Anvil all in one

(with the "city" example,

here are a buntsh of videos about how to make the city make more cents
and other things
WorldBuild CITY / TOWN / VILLAGE

, is there a ruler/mayor/etc,

(Political Ideology)

p.s. and also how mush non-cents do you want
https://www.fimfiction.net/group/212221/world-building/thread/500818/what-is-the-most-compercated-ways-to-vote-or-become-the-ruler-have-you-ever-seen

oh I'm sorry, I thought the videos, could help you out better then anything that I could have say
and the links to the post would let you see what other's have said about the topic

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8