Fillydelphia Oracle: Literature Reviews 176 members · 139 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
ScopingLandscape
Group Contributor

On the day of the 1000th Summer Sun Celebration, five friends travel to the edge of the world.

Oh, so that’s where they’ve gone off to.
In this little Slice of Life, we get to see what Derpy, Lyra, Bon Bon, Vinyl and Octavia were doing when the first episode played out, back in Ponyville.
Before going in, I have to warn you that there’s profanity, though not a lot of it.
Now, with that out of the way, let’s jump right in.

Plot

This is a Slice of Life, through and through. A group of friends, hauling cider to the edge of the world in their little red wagon, and enjoying the cider while sitting on the edge before the sun rises.

Initial thoughts

The story was written during one of our Quills & Sofas contests, the Love Contest. Mushroom chose “unafraid”. I didn’t participate, but I’d love to see what they have done with the prompt.

Story

The story is beautiful.
Well, I say that to nearly every story ever, but this one feels different. Ciders at the Edge of Equestria brings with it a tale of friendship and fun.
But it feels… sad, and thoughtful.
Scared of what’s to come.
But knowing that, with their friends by their side, there’s nothing to scare about.
Just some friends sitting on the edge of Equestria, drinking cider, and looking at the night sky.
All is fine.

And then the sun begins to rise.

“Aw, fuck!” Lyra’s hoof flew up to guard her face from the sudden intensity of the morning sun.

With the sunrise, comes their responsibilities.
But no. Just a little more, they say. Nopony will notice, since everypony is celebrating Summer Sun Celebration.
As Lyra said, “That sounds like your own personal problem.”

Characters

Each character is written with all their quirkiness and contrast. I love Vinyl with her occasional swear (a bit like Rainbow Dash with her impulsiveness), Octavia being a bit more mild-mannered, more tempered than Vinyl (like Rarity, and how she is usually depicted as classy, and well-read), Ditzy with her clumsiness, and Bon Bon and Lyra being cute with each other. Their depiction doesn’t stray so far from their established traits, making it feel like this is something that they would actually do, so I’m rather satisfied on that front.

Final Thoughts

I rather like it. Its prose is nice, and the characterizations are on point. I don’t think I have anything to complain about. It’s a good read.
Category: Good Read

mushroompone
Group Admin

Hiya! Thank you for the review!

You definitely found the heart of the story - it is a "little slice-of-life" without much of a wider plot to complicate it. I find that those sorts of stories are hard to get right, since you really have to carry a reader's interest based only on, say, dialogue and prose. I'm so glad that this story worked for you!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2