Misplaced 4 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
RedRandom
Group Admin

Displaced is a controversial subject of fanfiction literature that has come under much debate over the time it has been around. Many believe it to be a lesser form of writing and that the first step to improving a Displaced story is to take out literally everything that relates it to Displaced as a whole. Others, however, defend Displaced to the grave. While both are really detrimental to the growth of an author for several reasons, it is the latter reason we will look at today in order to figure out what the main problem that plagues Displaced authors and stories within their own group and how that can be fixed with a simple change.

I want you to think of a Displaced story, doesn't matter the quality of it, nor what the main character becomes. How does it start? At a Comic-Con, with the main character decked out in the gear of those they will be displaced as but they're missing one important piece. Who to show up to the rescue is either always the Merchant from Resident Evil 4 or the Happy Mask Salesman from Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask(even though he was in Ocarina of Time first but we all know it's the one from Majora's Mask you're thinking of). They have that piece the main character needs and almost always give it to them for free. Once the item is placed onto the main character. They're transported to Equestria, get transformed into their character and go on their merry little way having their adventures. Now, what is the problem here?

This is literally the same way almost all Displaced stories begin, and those that do not, don't change the material up enough to make it seem more unique. This is the fundamental flaw with Displaced. People think there are specific rules which makes a Displaced fic a Displaced fic. But in reality, that's far from the case. A displaced fic is a story where the main character gets transported to Equestria with the powers of an unrelated character. The Merchant does not have to be there. No one has to sell the missing part that'll complete the outfit. You do not need a comic con or social event or even Cosplay to justify the main character gaining the powers of an unrelated character and being in Equestria.

The Premise is simple to understand, and if we make it simple and not force these "rules" onto people who are just beginning to write their own Displaced fic. Then we get more original stories and less of the same repetitive beginnings that cause a lot of people to scoff at Displaced in general.

I... actually sounds inspirational... or am I just a loner who thinks that way?

RedRandom
Group Admin

I wouldn't really consider it inspirational myself. More so a proper step in the right direction. You gotta be willing to look at the flaws of a type of story and go "You know, what if I don't do that?"

huh, guess you’re right!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4