The Amazing World of Gumball Group 238 members · 3 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

Hello my name is Twilight is the BEST and the name is absolutely right!

Now if you are a Gumball fan you probably know the history of Gumball. Ben worked in commercials, worked for CN's Europe branch to help pitch other people's project, which then inspired him to pitch his own idea of Gumball which was picked up by CN and in 2011 The Amazing World of Gumball came to light. Though after watching the OK,KO episode "Nexus Crossover" where it reminded us about CN City and watching the old bumpers on youtube, I now am wondering... Did CN City inspire Gumball?
Though let me give you some context on what I'm talking about. During the Golden Age of Cartoon Network (specifically 2004) Cartoon Network created CN City which were bumpers during commercials that depicted nearly all of cartoon characters owned by Turner that lived in one huge city call CN City.

I gotta tell ya that it was the bomb! We saw our favorite cartoon characters interacting with other characters in funny gags and stuff, it actually made us kids back then to watch through the commercials. Unfortunately Cartoon Network ended it in 2007, while I couldn't find any official reason, my guess is that it was both that the original CN cartoons were ending soon and it was also where Cartoon Network was looking towards live-action rather than Cartoons. Whatever the case is, CN City wouldn't shown up again (at least in the US) till the Ok, KO Nexus Crossover episode. Though maybe it didn't fully die out as it did. Maybe it had a love child in the form of Gumball?
What do I mean? Well I got a theory that Ben was inspired by the CN City Bumpers to create the format or at the least inspired the mixture of animations. Why I think this is the case is because when you look at the show and the bumpers, there very similar. Weird cartoon characters interacting with each other and sometimes find themselves into funny situation. Oddly similar. Not to mention that the Early Reel Pilot of Gumball was created in 2008, just a year after CN City ended. Now this is what I think happened in this scenario. Ben, after working sometime in Cartoon Network Europe studio decides that he wants to pitch in his own idea for a show. He tells the CN producers his original idea of having the show be about rejected cartoon characters living in a remedial school, but the producers say that while the concept is interesting, it is a bit to gloomy. So Ben goes back to the drawing board to figure out how to revise his concept to be more cheery and also to choose which animation style his show would use. Then he watches tv, and see's CN City bumpers playing, he laughs at a bumper, but then he begins to see the similarities, cartoon characters who are completely different are in the same place interacting with each other which causes funny antics to pursue. Ben uses the concept it to revise his idea while putting other elements like the family sitcom. Now he just needs to works on the test animation, the Early Reel, he tries to choose which animation style he would use until he remembers the CN City bumpers again and found that the mixture of animations made the bumpers funnier and other than the bumpers no other show tried to fully go that type of animation. So he goes all in the mixture style and produces the test footage. He goes back to the producers and tells them his revise concept and shows them the test footage...

The producers love the idea and green light the show to be made.

Well that's my theory, and in most likely its probably not the case, but its fun to theorize. Anyways what do you think? Leave your thoughts below and I'm Twilight is the BEST and the name is absolutely right!

First, Twilight has had the least character development of the group, so I call it “debatable” to say that is fact. Second. You left out the original CN Crossover animations; i’m Talking about Cartoon Cartoon Fridays. The crossover animations for the network’s original cartoons, as the Nicktoons were for Nickelodeon, began back in 1999, and had occasional guests from the older Hannah Barbera or DC shows (like when Aquaman crashed the Halloween party).

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2